Ask Ian Anything - Extended Addition

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby bw1979 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:51 pm

Fiona, is she a major or minor player now in the stories?
Last edited by bw1979 on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bw1979
KER-BANNED!

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:00 pm

Ian, it's probably too early for you to give much say, but will you be doing a Sonic the Hedgehog next-gen game adaptation? If so, I'd like to see it as a mainstory.
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Kureejii Lea » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:06 pm

bw1979 wrote:Why is Fiona or is she a major or minor player now in the stories?

You need to rephrase your question. Please take the time to proof-read and to make your posts readable as a courtesy to the other forum-goers.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby nuckles87 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:28 pm

I'm curious...do you have any idea how many books the comic moves each month? Are you allowed to tell us if you did? I'm curious about 160's sales compared to past issues.
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:00 pm

bw1979 wrote:Fiona, is she a major or minor player now in the stories?

Fiona will be a fairly prominent character for the rest of the year and into the first bit of 2007.

EthanEmerald wrote: but will you be doing a Sonic the Hedgehog next-gen game adaptation? If so, I'd like to see it as a mainstory.

I'm sure we will. It will most likely be a back-up story so-as not to throw off the main continuity.

nuckles87 wrote:I'm curious...do you have any idea how many books the comic moves each month? Are you allowed to tell us if you did? I'm curious about 160's sales compared to past issues.

I don't have any real numbers on-hand, but I'm pretty sure Sonic is a really heavy competitor right off the shelf. It isn't as strong a comptitor in subscription sales, if I remember correctly.

As for S#160 vs. other issues, all I know is my local shop had to restock and they had ordered extra the first time around. Now, granted, we did a promotional thing since I'm a local talent (the link to the interview is elsewhere on the forum). But...still....it's a nice feeling to see all those issues gone :D
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby bw1979 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:36 pm

Do you ever read the Princess Sally 3 part comic book, and what did you think of it and the stories that led into it?

If you could go back and rewrite any of the epic stories of Sonic, which one would it be?
bw1979
KER-BANNED!

Postby Sonic922 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:10 pm

What is the worst cause of a comic cancellation? Do you fear it will happen to Sonic?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby bw1979 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:12 am

If a Sonic movie based on the Archie/Satam version was made, who would you want to direct it out these directors:

Peter Jackson

Bryan Singer

Brett Ranther

Sam Rami

and wha do you think it would be rated?

Is Bunnie going to be around the rest of the year?

Would or have you tried or thought of submitting your webcomic Other M to Archie? Yes or No and Why?
bw1979
KER-BANNED!

Postby Faded-Myth » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:16 am

I think you need to rethink your question a little... If an Archie Sonic movie was made, given it's characters, setting and storyline, it would either be traditionally animated or in 3D. (Or both, seeing as the way cartoons are made nowadays.) A more accurate question might be; "What animation company would you like to make Sonic?" While the likes of Peter Jackson and Sam Raimi both rock, they both make entirely different sort of films, and live action ones at that. Not really the sort to go handling an animated hedgehog...
Also, I think it's pretty certain Bunnie isn't going anywhere...
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Lord Gene Faircloth » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:25 am

Since Ian works for Archie anyway wouldn't submitting Other-M kinda be like submitting to himself? Actually, it would mean he would have to show it to his current editor who has undoubtedly already seen it since that's part of the background that got him his job to begin with. Unless you just want the artwork redone, it would mean double Sonic work for Ian too.
Lord Gene Faircloth
BumbleNewbie

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:09 am

bw1979 wrote:Do you ever read the Princess Sally 3 part comic book, and what did you think of it and the stories that led into it?

I do have the Princess Sally mini-series, and I enjoyed it. The repeating themes in its structure were cohesive without limiting the stories in each issue. And I'm a sucker for bigger casts, so the introduction of (beginnings of the) Substitute Legion of Freedom Fighters was a delight.

bw1979 wrote:If you could go back and rewrite any of the epic stories of Sonic, which one would it be?

Well, if we remember them as epics, there's a reason for that, right? I have no interest in revising the past. Onward - to the future!

Sonic922 wrote:What is the worst cause of a comic cancellation? Do you fear it will happen to Sonic?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. The worst in terms of the means would be any number of things - from hostile takeover to natural disaster. If you mean b the most common, it's lack of sales. And, no, I have no fear of cancellation right now.

bw1979 wrote:If a Sonic movie based on the Archie/Satam version was made, who would you want to direct it out these directors:
Peter Jackson
Bryan Singer
Brett Ranther
Sam Rami
and wha do you think it would be rated?

Peter Jackson - No. "King Kong" soured me towards him as a director.
Bryan Singer - Maybe. He did goods things with X-Men.
Bret Ranther - Needed IMDB on this one. Absolutely not.
Sam Rami - M.A.N.T.I.S., Xena and The Grudge 2? Absolutely not.

And the movie should only go so high as a PG-rating for the amount of action and explosions going on.

bw1979 wrote:Is Bunnie going to be around the rest of the year?

Yes.

bw1979 wrote:Would or have you tried or thought of submitting your webcomic Other M to Archie? Yes or No and Why?

Since I have not made it abundantly clear yet, apparently, I will stress this one more time:
I am not comfortable discussing past fan-projects for their protection.
And, no, submitting that project to Sonic would betray the work of so many others and kill the old project.

Faded-Myth wrote:If an Archie Sonic movie was made, given it's characters, setting and storyline, it would either be traditionally animated or in 3D.

The medium doesn't necessarily limit the choice in director, but I would prefer someone who is more familiar with it than those previously listed. Personally, I'd like Brad Bird, but I will forever love him for "The Increadibles," so I'm biased.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Faded-Myth » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:29 am

I know this is intended for Sonic chat, but may I ask what you didn't like about King Kong? JHust out of curiosity, since I loved that film XD

And oh yes...the awesome Brad Bird. Iron Giant, anyone? =)

Oh, and simply to make this post Sonic related... Hey, Ian? What's it like, you know, knowing you have the responsability of writing the story of and writing the life of, oh, you know, only one of the greatest and most recognisable symbols of video gaming, (and therfore pop culture), and therefore understanding that thousands of fans around the world are going to taken on a ride that you are in control of, as if it were some kind of locomotive, and we were all the guests, and you were the driver, and suddenly resonsible for the satisfaction and contentment of all those afore-mentioned guests? ;)

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist having a jab XD
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:37 am

OSNAP - He did Iron Giant too? I'd forgotten. Let us errect a golden idol in his honor!

As for King Kong - it had its moments. Kong himself was seventeen flavors of awesome and the bug pit scene was brilliantly horrifying. But the movie was needlessly long. All of the plot/character development was for nothing.

SPOILERS AHOY

Interesting vice captain/first mate who bonds with the stowaway kid and is by far the most compelling guy in the film? Kong'd.
Scrappy kid who starts on the path to manhood and shows increadible accuracy with a tommy-gun? Dropped after the bug pit scene.
Jack Black? Fun, but ultimately useless after they get to the island and has the worst line at the end of the film.
The love story? - it was there, and it kinda worked.
The bi-plane fight? - About 5-10 minutes too long.

SPOILERS - ALL DONE!

Then again, I wasn't impressed with "The Two Towers" or "Return of the King" either - especially after seeing how much essential material was cut in the theatrical cut of "King" be included in the extended addition.

That being said, "Fellowship of the Ring" and Gollum was phenominally brilliant.

[/rant]

EDIT: And to answer Faded-Myth: don't put it like that. I'll either faint or start cackling in a megamaniacle way.
Last edited by Ian Flynn on Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Tracy Yardley! » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:29 am

Hey,

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents here, even though none of this is Sonic related. I totally agree with Ian on King Kong and the LotR movies. Kong was pretty much eye candy and everything else was completely pointless, and the last two LotR movies had so much cut or changed (Faramir takes Frodo to Osgiliath?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? terrible) that they stories were really kinda ruined. *Sigh*

On the other hand, The Iron Giant, IMO, is one of, if not THE, best animated film of all time. And if you need a qualifier there, you could say its the best traditional 2-D animated film of all time. But even then, the Giant and the cars were all 3-D. (And increadibly well done.) The acting, pacing, humor and genuine emotion brought forth in that film is stunning and should be a model for all "children's" films. Every aspect of the production of that film is wonderful, from design, to animation, to musical score, and I think no amount of praise for The Iron Giant is too much.

And, on a related topic, Back to the Future is the best movie and/or trilogy ever!!!!!

Tracy!
Tracy Yardley!

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:51 am

Tracy Yardley! wrote:And, on a related topic, Back to the Future is the best movie and/or trilogy ever!!!!!

Ehhh...#2 was kinda weak sauce outside of the hoverboard. The first and third, however, are definitely cinema at it's finest.

If we're talking awesome trilogies, I will always adore Star Wars. The prequels never happened.

...and I'm derailing my own thread. Let's get back to the questions XD
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius