Ask Ian Anything - Extended Addition

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:11 pm

beowolf - S'cool, man. I just gotta see the effort is made. Run it by a buddy for proofing or something if need-be.

sonicxfactor - Nope, I hadn't seen those yet. I'm a little iffy on the new badniks. At least the Egg Pawns (and related Flappers, Hammers, Bishops, etc.) looked like Eggman in a comical way. That sorta made up for the departure from the classic creature/plant-themed badniks. These seem . . . bland. Threatening. Not nearly as fun as Eggman has proven to be.

And while I am excited (it's a new Sonic game!!!!!) I'm dreading shelling out the $400+ to play the stinkin' thing. Hoi. I may have to wait a while before actually playing it and rely on FAQs, websites and strategy guides.

Why oh why couldn't it be on the Revolution....excuse me....Wii.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Sonic922 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:50 pm

Will we ever see the characters from pre-satam? Maybe like another zone mini-series?

I found some info and pictures of it here:
http://www.sonichq.org/newsite/cartoon/before/
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:30 pm

Highly, highly unlikely - in other words, I'm 99.999% sure no. The pre-SatAM team had too many characters that were StC-like, especially in name, and was essentially the same premise as SatAM - just a funkier art style.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicforever » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:47 pm

Speaking of Wii what do you think of the new name change as it has recieved much attention recently? And which of the new consoles are you looking forward to the most? Also there is a Sonic game in development for Wii but it is going to be a completely seperate game from the 360 and PS3 games.
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:54 pm

Wii is certainly fun to say, and as a name it looks interesting. But I much prefer the old Revolution name. I shall name mine such. They cannot take that away from me!

I'm definitely looking forward to the NRev/Wii the most. Funky control aside, the whole thing promises everything I could ever want. I may break down and (eventually) get the PS3 to play NexGen-Sonic and the soon-to-be-translated Tales of the Abyss. I've no real interest in the X360.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:45 pm

I'm curious if SEGA will give you game-script information of the upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog title, of if you'll have to resort to playing the game yourself or using online game guides and game scripts. What do you think?

May I also suggest that your adaptation to the game should run as a main-story, contrary to the Sonic Rush and Sonic Riders backstories? I don't want you to break the comic's back adapting it, but I hear it's going to have a very deep storyline, and it may be something worth fully-adapting, like Sonic Adventure was.
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby jgoreham » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:52 pm

IanPotto wrote:Wii is certainly fun to say, and as a name it looks interesting. But I much prefer the old Revolution name. I shall name mine such. They cannot take that away from me!

I'm definitely looking forward to the NRev/Wii the most. Funky control aside, the whole thing promises everything I could ever want. I may break down and (eventually) get the PS3 to play NexGen-Sonic and the soon-to-be-translated Tales of the Abyss. I've no real interest in the X360.

Did you know there's speculation that Wii isn't the real name? I just finished reading some speculation at kotaku (I know, I know, take Kotaku with a grain of salt) before I logged into the forum here and thought I'd share. I think that Rev/Wii gossip and speculation is a lot more fun than PS3 speculation so true or not, I read a lot of it anyway ^^;; http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/punkd/did-nintendo-punk-us-with-wii-170381.php

In a question that's somewhat related to EthanEmerald's, sometimes we hear speculation that the new Sonic the Hedgehog game will re-boot the video game series' continuity. How would you feel in the hypothetical situation that SEGA expressed to Archie that they'd like the comic to correspond? Re-booting isn't unheard of in comics, after all (Marvel and DC do it once in a while too!).
jgoreham
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:16 pm

I'm pretty sure we'll be doing all adaptations as back-ups. Work on the Sonic Rush and Sonic Riders games began almost as soon as there was info to work off of, and you can see how close to their releases the stories ran. We had the most supportive help from Sega on any previous adaptation and we're still months behind. That doesn't hurt us so bad when they're back-up stories, which we can follow-up on. Making them the main stories either tie up the comic for half a year (SA-adapt) or throw off our plans in general (SA2).

I hope NextGen-Sonic does have a sweeping narrative and a story as good as Sonic Battle, because I'd love to work more SegaSonic elements into StH. I'm dubious, however, since the game looks like Sonic1 - Sonic vs. Eggman. Sonic does not work well in a void.

Concerning continuity reboots, I sincerely hope the rumors aren't true. There's been a tenuous one building since S3&K, and it really started to feel solid in ShtH. To toss all that out now would be self-defeating, I think. If the mandate came down from on high to do it to StH, we'd do what we always do - the best we can with what we have.

But this is all speculation, and speculating on speculation is just plain silly.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby beowolf master of ctalin » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:07 am

rumors what rumors I'm lost
beowolf master of ctalin
BumbleFan

Postby AvianTalon » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:04 am

I wouldn't be too surprised, and actually kinda relieved...

I was suspecting something though since Nintendo's website didn't mention the name anywhere there yesterday. (It does now, though.)

I'd rather it be called the Revolution...

*Realizes he's way off topic*

Oops.
AvianTalon
BumbleFan

Postby Sonic922 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:30 pm

I know there are no plans for this right now, but if you were to do a Sonic Underground re-crossover, would you need to ask Dic or anyone else's permission?

This might be a better question for Tracy, but where do Scourge's sunglasses come from at the end of 160?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby bw1979 » Mon May 01, 2006 7:26 am

Ian will you follow up in any M25YL story on that Tails/Mina "joke" deal or you just going to leave it be, and are we going to ever find out in a an M25YL story why Sonic wasn't around when Tails took off for Downanda.
bw1979
KER-BANNED!

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon May 01, 2006 8:54 am

Sonic922 wrote:I know there are no plans for this right now, but if you were to do a Sonic Underground re-crossover, would you need to ask Dic or anyone else's permission?

I'm not entirely sure on that one, especially since I wasn't onboard for the SU-cross-over. I would assume we'd get the blessing of both Sega and DiC, but I honestly don't know how all the rights issues fall.

Sonic922 wrote:but where do Scourge's sunglasses come from at the end of 160?

His jacket pocket. :D

bw1979 wrote:Ian will you follow up in any M25YL story on that Tails/Mina "joke" deal or you just going to leave it be, and are we going to ever find out in a an M25YL story why Sonic wasn't around when Tails took off for Downanda.

I'm not sure what "joke" you're referring to unless you mean the marriage. It was my understanding that was serious. As for anything else M25YL-related, I do believe it will be answered in S#166-167. The previews in a few weeks will tell us.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby bw1979 » Mon May 01, 2006 9:21 am

bw1979 wrote:Ian will you follow up in any M25YL story on that Tails/Mina "joke" deal or you just going to leave it be, and are we going to ever find out in a an M25YL story why Sonic wasn't around when Tails took off for Downanda.

Ianpotto wrote:I'm not sure what "joke" you're referring to unless you mean the marriage. It was my understanding that was serious. As for anything else M25YL-related, I do believe it will be answered in S#166-167. The previews in a few weeks will tell us.

So it wasn't a joke? Well I'll be, someone said it was.

Did you catch Sonic X this past weekend?

Whose Idea was to give Bunnie long hair?

Do you M25YL would make a good animated series

Do you think having Fiona in the stories are/will making/make them more instersting?
bw1979
KER-BANNED!

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed May 03, 2006 9:29 am

bw1979 wrote:
IanPotto wrote: I'm not sure what "joke" you're referring to unless you mean the marriage. It was my understanding that was serious. As for anything else M25YL-related, I do believe it will be answered in S#166-167. The previews in a few weeks will tell us.

So it wasn't a joke? Well I'll be, someone said it was.

Joke or not, I have to take what happens in the comic at face value. We saw Tails and Mina married in M25YL, so that's how I took it.

bw1979 wrote:Did you catch Sonic X this past weekend?

I gave up TV in favor of saving $30/month.

bw1979 wrote:Do you M25YL would make a good animated series

That's a matter of personal opinion. What might work in my mind might not work in your mind. I can't see it as animated.

bw1979 wrote:Do you think having Fiona in the stories are/will making/make them more instersting?

I think the mini-story arc involving Fiona will be interesting, yes. I try to make the stories interesting with whatever characters are present.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius