Ask Ian Anything - Extended Addition

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby bw1979 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:16 pm

Here's a one for you Ian, when I saw the covers of TDS, I saw Tails Uncle Merlin Prower on the bottom next to Dr. fetivies, and then when I read the preivew for 165, it says ...Tails life in mortal danger, so my question is wil Tails bel a huge and I mean HUGE major player in TDS and afterwards, because I believe this may be the 1st step in bringing this romantic 4-way to a close.

Did you ever watch Sonic Underground?

Do you know who Ninjara is from Ninja Turtles?

Glad you had a great easter!
bw1979
KER-BANNED!

Postby Sonic922 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:22 pm

IanPotto wrote:
sonicxfactor wrote:Also what is your favourite episode of SATAM and why?

I honestly can't remember. It's been ages since I saw the series.

I know a website where you can watch some of the old SatAM episodes. If you want, I could post( or PM the link)
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby sonicxfactor » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:53 pm

Better still download the SATAM episodes with Bit Torrent.

Anyway another question. Now that the Xbox 360 is out which of the other next generation consoles are you looking forward to, the PS3 or Nintendo’s Revolution? Nintendo’s Revolution interests me a lot with that controller and all but I’m waiting to see what the PS3 can do before I decide whether to get a 360, PS3 or a Revolution. I really want to get a 360 to play Capcom’s Dead Rising (all those zombies on screen, WOW!) but I’m going to wait November time for PS3 before I decide which of the 3 will end up next to my PS2, Dreamcast and Mega Drive and Mega-CD.

And do you own a PSP or are you thinking about getting one?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby sonicforever » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:03 pm

Well since some of the episodes for SATAM were put on DVD it isn't legal to dowload those particular episodes. However I think all of the episodes are on YouTube if you wanted to watch them.
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby Sonic922 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:36 pm

They were put onto DVD? where can you buy them? Are they NTSC? O would get them.

Sorry if this is off topic.
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Adamis » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:00 pm

Ian, I just thought about something...

Chaotix
Destructix
Are they linked?
After all, we never (I think) saw the "Anti-Chaotix"...
Adamis
BumbleNoble

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:22 pm

I did use the word "wave," didn't I? XD H'okay, here we go...

bw1979 wrote: wil Tails bel a huge and I mean HUGE major player in TDS and afterwards

Tails will be a pivotol part of a post-TDS story - more plot-wise than character, but still there in a big way. The Sonic/Fiona/Tails issue will evolve and come to a head early next year - if all goes according to plan.

bw1979 wrote:Did you ever watch Sonic Underground?

I did not, no. I caught one episode ("Mobodoon", I think) and read up a little on the trivia.

bw1979 wrote:Do you know who Ninjara is from Ninja Turtles?

The fox ninja who was Raph's love interest? I didn't follow AoTMNT - to my regret.

Varios wrote:SatAM Online

I'm not sure what legal status those clips would have since the one DVD collection was recalled. Does that still mean it's on the market somehow? Anyway, I don't have the time to enjoy the relics right now. Another time, perhaps.

sonicxfactor wrote:Now that the Xbox 360 is out which of the other next generation consoles are you looking forward to, the PS3 or Nintendo’s Revolution?

I'm eagerly anticipating the NRev due to its monstrous library of old games and intriguing (if baffling) controller. I may break down and eventually get a PS3 for the Next-Gen-Sonic and the handful of PS-games I've been slightly interested in. Now - if all the next-gen stuff didn't cost so bloody much...

sonicxfactor wrote:And do you own a PSP or are you thinking about getting one?

Nope.

Adamis wrote:Ian, I just thought about something...

Chaotix
Destructix
Are they linked?
After all, we never (I think) saw the "Anti-Chaotix"...

You're thinking somewhat along the right lines. I'll talk at length on what "Destructix" means to me and how the name got pegged to the team after S#162 comes out. Remind me.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby bw1979 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:03 pm

IanPotto wrote:I did use the word "wave," didn't I? XD H'okay, here we go...

bw1979 wrote: wil Tails bel a huge and I mean HUGE major player in TDS and afterwards

Tails will be a pivotol part of a post-TDS story - more plot-wise than character, but still there in a big way. The Sonic/Fiona/Tails issue will evolve and come to a head early next year - if all goes according to plan.

Okay but why is his Uncle Merlin on the bottom of one the TDS Covers?

And how will the 4-way romance evolve, will it begin in TDS?

Some are saying that Sonic will break it to Fiona slowly and easyliy, that he just wants to be friends, do you agree?

How long does it take to a get story ready to printed as a Sonic Comic?

Talk more soon
bw1979
KER-BANNED!

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:49 pm

bw1979 wrote:Okay but why is his Uncle Merlin on the bottom of one the TDS Covers?

Some are saying that Sonic will break it to Fiona slowly and easyliy, that he just wants to be friends, do you agree?

I can't answer these for obvious reasons.

bw1979 wrote:And how will the 4-way romance evolve, will it begin in TDS?

As far as how I'm dealing with it, it began in S#160.

bw1979 wrote:How long does it take to a get story ready to printed as a Sonic Comic?

To give you a rough idea - I turned in the "final" script for S#174 last week. I say "final" like that because any number of changes can be made between then and now. But with that much lead time, we have ample time to make any changes.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Dirk Amoeba » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:54 pm

IanPotto wrote:I'm not sure what legal status those clips would have since the one DVD collection was recalled. Does that still mean it's on the market somehow? Anyway, I don't have the time to enjoy the relics right now. Another time, perhaps.

I'll explain then.

ALL SatAM you see on the Internet is COMPLETELY illegal, as is any DVD box set you see today. Many of those box sets also contain a dvd with digital scans of Archie's Sonic-related comics, also quite illegal.

By supporting these downloads and bootleg DVDs, you are hurting the chances of a real SatAM box set, which would be much higher in quality and could potentially contain bonus materials such as a look at Season 3 or interviews with the cast and crew.

I don't understand why Sega or Dic or someone hasn't acted to stop all this.
Dirk Amoeba
BumbleFan

Postby bw1979 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:24 pm

IanPotto wrote:
bw1979 wrote:Okay but why is his Uncle Merlin on the bottom of one the TDS Covers?

I can't answer these for obvious reasons.

bw1979 wrote:And how will the 4-way romance evolve, will it begin in TDS?

As far as how I'm dealing with it, it began in S#160.

bw1979 wrote:How long does it take to a get story ready to printed as a Sonic Comic?

To give you a rough idea - I turned in the "final" script for S#174 last week. I say "final" like that because any number of changes can be made between then and now. But with that much lead time, we have ample time to make any changes.

So as your concern it 4-way romance began last month, cool beans, can't wait to see how it delvops

Wow 174's script is done already sort of, cool, I guess that you'll be working on 175's now, huh?

Are you suprised at how the comic has changed since very early days in '93 to what is now? What surprised you the most?
bw1979
KER-BANNED!

Postby Sonic922 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:13 pm

Dirk Amoeba wrote:
IanPotto wrote:I'm not sure what legal status those clips would have since the one DVD collection was recalled. Does that still mean it's on the market somehow? Anyway, I don't have the time to enjoy the relics right now. Another time, perhaps.

I'll explain then.

ALL SatAM you see on the Internet is COMPLETELY illegal, as is any DVD box set you see today. Many of those box sets also contain a dvd with digital scans of Archie's Sonic-related comics, also quite illegal.

By supporting these downloads and bootleg DVDs, you are hurting te chances of a real SatAM box set, which would be much higher in quality and could potentially contain bonus materials such as a look at Season 3 or interviews with the cast and crew.

I don't understand why Sega or Dic or someone hasn't acted to stop all this.

Weird. Ive never seen a box set.

Honestly, I don't think Sega or Dic cares about SatAM anymore. If there was anything we could do to support the movie, they may release the old ones for anyone too young to remember
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Faded-Myth » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:18 pm

Here we go again with more questions and interrogations into your creepy little mind.

You've explained how you prepare for an issue and how you go about writing it. I'd like to ask you about how major plot desicions and character development in the long run comes about? Do you have one major meeting every few months, toss your throughts and opinions around, and set yourself a tablet up for something like, say, 6 months? And then just break things down as you go along? Or with each each that comes about do you have another big meeting and discuss everything as it's happening?
Also, as head writer for the main series, though you have obvious "rules" and "guidelines" to follow put to you by Sega, who exactly has the biggest say on how plot development and character relationships should go? Is the editors decision final? Or do you have the right to call the shots? Or is it, (and this is how I've always seen it) a total group collaboration? Just wondering how all the big decisions are made and who makes them.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby sonicforever » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:50 pm

By supporting these downloads and bootleg DVDs, you are hurting te chances of a real SatAM box set, which would be much higher in quality and could potentially contain bonus materials such as a look at Season 3 or interviews with the cast and crew.

How is it illegal if only 5 episodes have been released on DVD? I have very poor quality dowloads on my computer (7mb each so it is really bad, but these aren't the bittorrent ones so I have no idea how good a quality they are) but I would most definelty buy the original DVD set as well as any new DVD sets Disney would decide to release (though yeah I agree it looks very doubtful).

So Ian since you are technically a part of the video game industry, are you going to E3?
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby sonicxfactor » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:19 pm

Hey Ian I just want to know what plans you exactly have for Mighty? I think its great that your going to give him the spotlight for a change, not like Sega who sent him to the videogame character graveyard all those years ago. Will he have a big role after TDS and will his friend Ray or the other Chaotix somehow be involved?

And this "Destructix" thing, will he/she/it be well known bad guys or bad guy from the past or will "Destructix" be a new face or faces in the comic?

Have you seen the Silent Hill movie yet? I heard it’s really good.

Since Archie now does a Sonic X comic do you think there is a possibility that there will be a Sonic/Sonic X crossover comic?

Have you been offered to do work on the Sonic X comic or are you going to leave that all to Joe?

Do you have any plans to focus on Bunnie and Antoine’s love life? Since Antoine is now back in Knothole them two must have a lot of catching up to do. And do you know if Antoine's ex (the name escapes me) will be back to try and break them up?

Just ordered #161 off the net, should be with me in a few days. I’ll let you know what I think. Peace out.
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius