Ask Ian Anything - Extended Addition

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Tracy Yardley! » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:36 am

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on that one, Ian. Part 2 was awesome! All that crazy paradox stuff, GENIUS! I tend to think of them as one big movie anyway. Back to work for me!

Tracy!
Tracy Yardley!

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:43 am

It definitely should be taken as one long, glorious movie, and I'll agree with you on the paradox part as well (although Doc Brown could read the phone book and I'd be entertained.)

However, I'll see your time paradox and hoverboard and raise you one flying, time-travelling train!

But yes, back to work for you. I know what you're working on. And I am quite excited :D
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby bw1979 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:09 am

What do you think of Sonic X (Anime Show) so far?

And do you think the Doomsday Project dsgs (cry of the wolf, Drood Henge, Spy hog and Doomsday itself) should have been made into a movie?

What is the Best Princess Sally and Bunnie Rabbot solo stories you've read?

Is Dulcy coming back?

What was your reaction when you heard that you going to a writer for Sonic?

Are you going to see X-men 3 Next Month?
bw1979
KER-BANNED!

Postby sonicforever » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:16 pm

I only saw the firstck Back to the Future movie but it was awesome. But the award for best trilogy will go to the Spiderman series after the third one comes out.

I was just wondering if Ben Hurst had been in contact with you at all? He has been trying to get SATAM season 3 out in some form be it animated movie or a tv series but him and Penders had a fallout.
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby nuckles87 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:15 am

While I loved Iron Giant, I personally think most any Miyazki film could be considered the best animated film of all time. Spirited Away and Princess Monoke in particular.

Ian, have you tried Sonic Riders yet? Did ya like it or hate it? Be honest, I'm sure Sega's not spying on you here (or are they?:shock:)

You've used a lot of Bean and Bark in everything you write. Why? I personally love the characters, they are by far some of the most colorful characters you've written, but what made them so appealing you in the first place? Did you play Sonic the Fighters or something?

Why do new characters get proposed and added?

How much of a gamer are you now a days? Outside of Sonic?

Oh, and the interview you did should be up soon ;). I'll let you know as soon as it is.
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby sonicxfactor » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:33 am

Ian one thing that I liked (and still like) about the SATAM show is that it was set in a dark and threatening world, will you be following this example of putting the characters in a same type of dark and evil world depending on the story?

Also what is your favourite episode of SATAM and why?

Which do you like better, the 4Kids dub of Sonic X or the original uncut Japanese episodes with English subs?

Do you think that if Sally didn’t see Sonic getting hurt by M in the Home arc do you think they would still be together?

I did a huge post defending Sally on www.sonicanime.net a while back, if you want to see it let me know and I’ll be happy to copy and paste what I said here or post the link to it. Your free to agree/disagree on it if you like.
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Kureejii Lea » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:33 am

nuckles87 wrote:Ian, have you tried Sonic Riders yet? Did ya like it or hate it? Be honest, I'm sure Sega's not spying on you here (or are they?:shock:)

*cough* :wink:
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby nuckles87 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:15 pm

Kureejii Lea wrote:
nuckles87 wrote:Ian, have you tried Sonic Riders yet? Did ya like it or hate it? Be honest, I'm sure Sega's not spying on you here (or are they?:shock:)

*cough* :wink:

Ah.

Yes.

Very well then. :oops:
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:21 pm

Ian:

Is Super Sonic going to appear in his origonal, "Sonic Adventure" style, or his newer Sonic Heroes/Sonic Next-Gen style?

Thanks,
Ethan
Last edited by EthanEmerald on Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Re: RE

Postby sonicxfactor » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:46 pm

EthanEmerald wrote:Ian:

Is SuperSonic going to appear in his origonal, "Sonic Adventure" style, or his newer Sonic Heroes/Sonic Next-Gen style?

Thanks,
Ethan

I didn’t think there was any difference between the Sonic Adventure, Sonic Heroes and Sonic next-gen style. They look all the same to me (either that or I might be going blind).

Care to point them out EE?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:03 pm

Sure.

The Sonic Adventure-styled Super Sonic had the middle quill curving downward. The same goes for the Super Sonic of the classic games. This made Super Sonic look like Shadow in shape.

The new Sonic Heroes/Next-Gen style has all of Super Sonic's quills curving up. See the new official Super Sonic art from SEGA:

I hope that helps.
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Re: RE

Postby sonicxfactor » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:45 am

EthanEmerald wrote:Sure.

The Sonic Adventure-styled Super Sonic had the middle quill curving downward. The same goes for the Super Sonic of the classic games. This made Super Sonic look like Shadow in shape.

The new Sonic Heroes/Next-Gen style has all of Super Sonic's quills curving up. See the new official Super Sonic art from SEGA:

I hope that helps.

Thanks EE.
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Sonic922 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:46 pm

Will you be putting more monkies into the stories? It would probably score some points with Mike, Off Panel suggested many times that he has an obsession with monkies.
Sonic922
BumbleFan

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:56 pm

Next question for Ian:

How was your Easter?
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:35 am

bw1979 wrote:What do you think of Sonic X (Anime Show) so far?

The series has had its moments, and I greatly enjoyed the addition of Bokkun. The extended human cast was a bit of a drag in my mind. It's over now, though, so I'm content with how Joe is working with it in the comic series.

bw1979 wrote:And do you think the Doomsday Project dsgs (cry of the wolf, Drood Henge, Spy hog and Doomsday itself) should have been made into a movie?

No. Although my memory of individual episodes is near nil (SatAM's been dead for a long time), I'd much prefer the anticipation between episodes.

bw1979 wrote:What is the Best Princess Sally and Bunnie Rabbot solo stories you've read?

I think my favorites would have to be "Upgrade" for Bunnie and "The Royal Signet" for Sally.

bw1979 wrote:Is Dulcy coming back?

There are no immediate plans for a Ducly-centric story, but she's still around Knothole.

bw1979 wrote:What was your reaction when you heard that you going to a writer for Sonic?

A breathless "...wow..." with a slight dizzy spell.

bw1979 wrote:Are you going to see X-men 3 Next Month?

I plan to see it at some point. Rumors about the film have me very, very wary, so I probably won't see it opening night.

sonicforever wrote:I was just wondering if Ben Hurst had been in contact with you at all? He has been trying to get SATAM season 3 out in some form be it animated movie or a tv series but him and Penders had a fallout.

I've not been contacted by Mr. Hurst at all, no, nor would I even begin to speculate what went on between him and Ken Penders.

nuckles87 wrote:You've used a lot of Bean and Bark in everything you write. Why? I personally love the characters, they are by far some of the most colorful characters you've written, but what made them so appealing you in the first place? Did you play Sonic the Fighters or something?

I'm a sucker for new, Sega-canon characters. If I could find a reasonable/appropriate way to bring in the other lost ones, I would in a heartbeat. So when I saw Bean and Bark - and my opportunity to bring them into the fold - I went for it.

My affinity for Bean stems from the great number of entertaining animated ducks. Donald, Daffy, Scrooge McDuck, Gizmoduck, Darkwing Duck - the list goes on and on. (Launchpad McQuack!) Bean is just one more in the great halls of duckdom.

I'm also a sucker for the Abbot/Costello odd-couple type duos, and Bark looks to be the perfect "Silent Bob" to Bean's "Jay."

nuckles87 wrote:Why do new characters get proposed and added?

To fill a role. We didn't have a true "evil Sonic," which is a fun and (potentially) interesting character. The current Evil Sonic was lame, Shadow was his own guy, and Metal Sonic - while undeniably cool - is just a robot. Thus, we get Scourge.

Otherwise, we're pretty much stocked up on supporting (and supporting-supporting) cast, so you won't be seeing any new characters this year. (Scourge aside).

nuckles87 wrote:How much of a gamer are you now a days? Outside of Sonic?

Not as much as I'd like to be. Part of that is the classic time/money combo of doom. The other part is there just aren't too many games out there right now that I'm interested in. Right now I'm waiting for the newest chapters in the Legend of Zelda (Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass), and I'm greatly anticipating Spore.

sonicxfactor wrote:Ian one thing that I liked (and still like) about the SATAM show is that it was set in a dark and threatening world, will you be following this example of putting the characters in a same type of dark and evil world depending on the story?

I do believe you'll be satisfied with TDS and the fallout from there on out.

sonicxfactor wrote:Also what is your favourite episode of SATAM and why?

I honestly can't remember. It's been ages since I saw the series.

sonicxfactor wrote:Which do you like better, the 4Kids dub of Sonic X or the original uncut Japanese episodes with English subs?

The original, unedited material - no contest.

sonicxfactor wrote:Do you think that if Sally didn’t see Sonic getting hurt by M in the Home arc do you think they would still be together?

Sonic being hurt just brought the break-up upon them faster. The underlying issues were still there and would've come out the same the next time Sonic was in peril.

EthanEmerald wrote:Is Super Sonic going to appear in his origonal, "Sonic Adventure" style, or his newer Sonic Heroes/Sonic Next-Gen style?

That's a very good question. Ultimately, that will be up to Mike Pellerito since he gives the final word on art direction.

Sonic922 wrote:Will you be putting more monkies into the stories? It would probably score some points with Mike, Off Panel suggested many times that he has an obsession with monkies.

HAHA - no, he's keeping his passion for primates in check.

EthanEmerald wrote:How was your Easter?

Too short - which is the case for any vacation.

WHOO! Caught up! Bring on the next wave!
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius