Ask Ian Anything - Extended Addition

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Wed May 17, 2006 8:11 pm

Relating to what Sonicxfactor said:

Is TSoM comic related only, or is this forum allowing threads of the Sonic games, as well?

Many thanks,
Ethan
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed May 17, 2006 8:40 pm

I'd like to keep it more geared to the ArchieSonic comic, but I'm not going to out-right ban any SegaSonic or EuroSonic talk. And, in many cases, you can't avoid it at all.

Sonic ArchieSonic first, AllSonic second. 8)
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Sonic922 » Wed May 17, 2006 9:47 pm

I just read the SOnic Rush Adaption and I didn't understand ANY of it, or what it had to do with Sonic Rush. I know you didn't right it , but do you know if it was some kind of hint that Blaze will return for more of SOnic Rush? ANd will you right it or Tanio?
BTW, at the risk of sounding uneducated, is Tanio a man or woman?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Kureejii Lea » Wed May 17, 2006 11:02 pm

Sonic922 wrote:BTW, at the risk of sounding uneducated, is Tanio a man or woman?

Tania Del Rio is female.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu May 18, 2006 6:38 am

The "Sonic Rush" story established the key points - that Blaze was alien to Mobius, what was after the Sol Emeralds, that she was a bit of a hot head (har har!) and Sonic was tied into it somehow. That's all we really needed.

I'd like us to return to the Sonic Rush elements, but I don't know when/if that will happen. I'm writing just about everything from here on out (for the foreseeable future), but I wouldn't rule out Tania (or someone else) contributing to the book again. They're certainly welcome to!
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicxfactor » Thu May 18, 2006 1:14 pm

IanPotto wrote:
I have played Hunters, a little, and wasn't too fond of it. It's a fantastic game, but I can't handle the lack of analog stick. The touch screen/buttons just don't work for me. My loss =P

Practice makes perfect Ian.
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Nel » Sat May 20, 2006 9:27 am

I bought 162 yesterday, so I've got some questions.

On the first page, what is that THING in the middle of the green beams? Is that Anonymous?

At what point in the timeline does Snively's story take place compared to TDS? Before, after during? The first thing that popped into my head was that Eggy had just locked down the egg-grape chamber and was trying to get allies, thus calling upon Snively.

Who came up with the idea to give Snively a green Eggman's uniform? Genius! He's the Luigi to Eggman's Mario! :P

And will we be seeing more of Eggy's Sonic Heroes-style flying ships like the one shown at the end of Sniv's story?

Whoo, that's it from me. Thanks.
Nel
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon May 22, 2006 7:38 am

Sorry for the delay in replies, folks. I had a family emergency to attend to. But I am back now - REJOICE!

sonicxfactor wrote:
IanPotto wrote: I have played Hunters, a little, and wasn't too fond of it. It's a fantastic game, but I can't handle the lack of analog stick. The touch screen/buttons just don't work for me. My loss =P

Practice makes perfect Ian.

And needless frustration at the moment XD

NelStone wrote:On the first page, what is that THING in the middle of the green beams? Is that Anonymous?

Maaaaaaaaaaybe :D

NelStone wrote:At what point in the timeline does Snively's story take place compared to TDS? Before, after during?

Shortly after TDS wraps up.

NelStone wrote:Who came up with the idea to give Snively a green Eggman's uniform? Genius! He's the Luigi to Eggman's Mario!

I came up with the idea/design and Tracy brought it to life. There was much giddy happiness when I saw what Tracy had done with my concept doodles.

NelStone wrote:And will we be seeing more of Eggy's Sonic Heroes-style flying ships like the one shown at the end of Sniv's story?

Oooooh yes. The Egg Fleet is definitely here for keeps. I loved it in Sonic Heroes and I think it embodies the awesome that is Eggman: some ridiculous like a fish-themed flying armada, but it's still a deadly force.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicxfactor » Mon May 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Hey Ian I don’t know if you know this but on another Sonic forum I’m a member of don’t like Scourge calling him just a bad Sonic recolor and stuff. But don’t worry I put in a good word for you. I got you back.

Anyway more questions.

1: you said on SonicHQ that you would be looking into Shadows past and how he’s related to the Black Arms, when can we expect this to happen.

2: at the start of issue 155 was Sonic and Fiona kissing or were they just hugging? Many people were saying they were just hugging because Sonic apologized to her for leaving her behind and Tails was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. But what’s your view on this? Were they kissing or not?

3: how long do you plan to keep the SonicXFiona thing going for?

4: did you have any problems trying to convince Archie/Sega to get Bean or Bark in the comic?

5: you can’t deny that Sonic and Sally wont ever get back together again, its going to happen the question is when and how and if you know anything about this will it be something that us readers will be looking forward to.

6: its cool that your trying to get more game related stuff in the comic (Eggman Fleet for example) but don’t forget that the reason I like the comic is because it was set in an original world set apart from the games. I don’t mind you adding more game related stuff just don’t go too crazy on it.

7: what’s Archie’s/Sega’s view on violence, bad language and blood in the comic? I know there was blood in Home part 4 when M shot Sonics arm but do you have to get permission from Sega if you want add blood only if its essential to the story. The same goes with violence, say for example you have a scene where Scourge knocks Sonic to the floor and repeatedly kicks him in the rib cage; this guy really wants to hurt Sonic. Again would you have to get permission from Sega to put a scene like this in the comic? And bad language, I saw that Eggman used the word “Bugger” in #159, now in Britain this is coincided a swear word as I have not seen this in any programs for kids and only used in stuff for an older viewing audience. Again like the two above would you have too get permission from Archie or Sega to use more harsher language like what some of the stuff Shadow says in his game for example?

I would be very grateful if you could answer this question as best you can.

You said you had a family emergency, I hope it’s nothing serious and that everything’s ok with you and your family.

Later yo!
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Sonic922 » Mon May 22, 2006 4:52 pm

Just double checking on Anonymous, he's someone we know from the past right?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Cole » Mon May 22, 2006 6:07 pm

Well, I'll finally be back in the ol' US in about 3 days; been a good 3 1/2 months in the UK. Hope my plane doesn't crash. :P Just got the internets back briefly, so I'll only ask one question before I dash off again.

Ian, I had a question that sort of related to sonicxfactor's #7, on violence, but my question's more towards guns/weapons. I've been wondering this for some time, with Ken's "no guns" policy, and all the toss-ups about that, but this is more a technical curiosity - I hear the Comics Code Authority doesn't allow realistic weapons, but one of the most popular images of Sally is from Karl's #123 when she has Nack's very real lookin' pistol, and I'm pretty sure she fires it in that comic. Can you tell me, once and for all, what's allowed in Sonic as far as weapons goes, and how real they can be/look? Because this has been buggin' me for a while.

Danke! Hope all's cool back home, can't wait to read #160 - 162 in a few days. :D
Cole
BumbleNewbie

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon May 22, 2006 6:14 pm

We're gettin' close to a new thread here!

sonicxfactor wrote:Hey Ian I don’t know if you know this but on another Sonic forum I’m a member of don’t like Scourge calling him just a bad Sonic recolor and stuff. But don’t worry I put in a good word for you. I got you back.

There's a handful of Sonic forums I occasionally lurk through, just to get more input than TSoM/SHQ. Some folks are bent on hating ArchieSonic, and some folks won't bother to read something and give it a chance. And then there's those who read S#160-161 and still call Scourge a poor pallette swap. That's all within their rights, and I'm only disapointed that they're missing out on a fun comic. I appreaciate you rallying the cause abroad, but don't be too zealous. It's much their right to not like the comic and say as much as it is for you to do otherwise.

sonicxfactor wrote:1: you said on SonicHQ that you would be looking into Shadows past and how he’s related to the Black Arms, when can we expect this to happen.

If everything goes according to plan, that ought to be early next year.

sonicxfactor wrote:2: at the start of issue 155 was Sonic and Fiona kissing or were they just hugging?

I don't think Tails would've flipped out as much if it was a simple cuddle session. They certainly swapping souls - Sonic doesn't work that fast - but it was the first few pecks of intimacy. That's how I've taken that scene, at least.

sonicxfactor wrote:3: how long do you plan to keep the SonicXFiona thing going for?

For a little while.

sonicxfactor wrote:4: did you have any problems trying to convince Archie/Sega to get Bean or Bark in the comic?

If there was any problem with it, I heard nary a word of it. Right now Sega seems to be devoting its attention to the newest properties.

sonicxfactor wrote:5: you can’t deny that Sonic and Sally wont ever get back together again, its going to happen the question is when and how and if you know anything about this will it be something that us readers will be looking forward to.

I can deny it all I durn well please :D For now, Sonic and Sally are splitsville. Only time will tell if they can patch up things up.

sonicxfactor wrote:6: I don’t mind you adding more game related stuff just don’t go too crazy on it.

Not a question! But still - I agree. I'll be adding as much SegaSonic as I can to the mix, but I won't do it to the detriment of the elements that have helped the comic endure.

sonicxfactor wrote:7: what’s Archie’s/Sega’s view on violence, bad language and blood in the comic?

Archie abides by the Comic Code, and it's something I readily and happily abide by as well. I'll push the envelope on occasion, but there needs to be more family-accessible material out there. Right now, if I were to pick up the big name stuff (Batman, X-Men, Spider-Man, etc.) I couldn't show it to my younger brother. That's not to say the material is poorly produced, but it's far too dark and gritty. I like the fact that I can hand the comic to anyone and know they can enjoy it.

Gore does not make a fight scene better, nor does foul language make the dialogue more interesting. (This isn't to say both can't be used effectively or creatively, but they aren't needed either).

Sega seems to be fully supportive of this. They actually told us to avoid a ShtH adaptation since it wasn't an all-ages game. How I acknowledge the game's elements in the comic is a different kettle of fish.

The most violent we're going to get is probably reached in TDS. The swear filter in the forum should indicate how many dirty words I'll fit into the comic.

sonicxfactor wrote:You said you had a family emergency, I hope it’s nothing serious and that everything’s ok with you and your family.

Unfortunately, it was. My grandfather (mother's side) passed away suddenly. Despite the shock of it, it was merciful in that it was sudden. We're all coping with it as best as one can in such a situation. I behalf of me and mine, thank you for the sentiments.

Sonic922 wrote:Just double checking on Anonymous, he's someone we know from the past right?

Ayup.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicforever » Mon May 22, 2006 11:24 pm

Yeah I actually prefer there not be swearing in it just as long as the dialouge doesn't become corny like it was in Sonic Heroes.

1. So what are your thoughs on the thin ice some people claim Sony is standing on right now after announcing the price of the PS3 and basically copying more ideas from their opponents ( Xbox Live, the motion sensor controller, and the home button in the middle of the controller like the 360)?

2. Name a comic from Marvel and a comic from DC that you would like to write for should you get the chance. Ok thats not a question but whatever (hearty laughter).

3. What annoys and concerns you most about the state of the Sonic series as a comic and the franchise as a whole as it is obvious that at least game wise something is still not entirely there?

4. Any chance you could convince Archie to make a Mega Man X comic? :D Dreamwave or whoever it was was supposed to be coming out with one but they kinda died.
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby nuckles87 » Tue May 23, 2006 12:21 am

Well, after lots o' thought, Ian, I finally gots a questions.

Have you given any thought of what you'll do after StH? Or is this what you really want to do? Will you be breaking Ken's record?
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby Faded-Myth » Tue May 23, 2006 12:45 am

A little bit early for that don't you think? XD
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius