Ask Ian Anything - Extended Addition

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby sonicxfactor » Sat May 13, 2006 4:22 pm

Ian have you seen the gameplay videos of Next gen Sonic and Sonic Wild Fire yet and what do you think of them?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat May 13, 2006 4:39 pm

Sonic06/NextGen Sonic/SONIC the Hedgehog - whatever you want to call it...

It's definitely very, very pretty. I'm somewhat dismayed to see Sonic's gameplay looks like SADX + Rail Grinding. I don't really know how else you would make a Sonic platformer, but the sound bit made it sound like they were building him from the ground up.

The innovation appears to be in Silver's gameplay, which looks like far too much fun! The slight cumbersomeness in the videos I've seen I chalk up to the camera and unfamiliarity with the controls. Hopefully the former will be fixed since it's out of our hands.

And being the single person in the world (it seems) who enjoyed ShtH, I'm looking forward to the Shadow segment of the game.

SWF looks...interesting. If I had to draw a parallel, I'd say it's like a truly 3D SegaSonic Arcade - you keep running and try not to die. I hope the connection between Sonic's chest flame, the collectible light balls, the flame-meter and the dashing are all explained within context of the story.

My fear for SWF is it'll turn into a momumental headache in the later levels where I'm sure the perils and badniks will increase in frequency and potency. If I'm going to play a rail-aligned game, I want to at least be able to fend for myself from a distance - ala StarFox. We'll see.

Finally - you didn't ask, but I'll comment anyway (you can't stop me!) - Sonic Rivals looks to have a great deal of potential. Visually, I love the 2D-play in the 3D-environment. The video I saw, though, made the character models and gameplay seem a bit clunky. Hopefully it'll be polished up before final release.

The gaming future is looking bright.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicxfactor » Sat May 13, 2006 5:51 pm

Slivers game play looks interesting, although I don’t think it will match Midway’s Psi Ops. That was just an awesome game, the ability to pick up bad guys and just repeatedly slamming them against the wall or picking them up and throwing them into heavy machinery of hurling them off buildings is always great fun.

If Sliver can set stuff on fire then I know this game will rock.

Your not alone Ian, I rather enjoyed Shadow The Hedgehog myself, although it could have been better if longer in development. The final product just felt like it was rushed.
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat May 13, 2006 8:39 pm

I think the aspect that hurt ShtH the most was it didn't do enough to make itself its own spin-off. Let's take Tails' Adventure as an example. Nobody would mistake that as a Sonic game due to it being a completely different set-up. There wasn't any one thing inherently wrong with ShtH, but it wasn't different enough.

We know he's playable in Sonic06. I'm hoping that they'll iron out the concept into something ShtH intended itself to be. Seeing how vastly different Sonic and Silver's game styles are, I'm quite hopeful.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicxfactor » Sun May 14, 2006 8:27 am

For me it was the controls that ruined Shadow. If the developers spent more time on them then it may have been a different story for ShTH.

I still stand by what I said which is “not bad but not great”.

Still I’m looking forward to the next gen Sonic, the people who played it at E3 said that it was quite good, but again the controls need to be fine-tuned, but I think Sonic Team know this and are fixing them up as we speak.

Roll on November.
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Kamal » Sun May 14, 2006 9:24 pm

If you don't mind me butting in, the only part about ShTH I disliked was the constant explanations about how to play. It was like, "I've played through Westopolis 50 times; I don't need to be reminded what a ring box is." I hope there's a way to turn off those help icons in the new game.
Kamal
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun May 14, 2006 10:05 pm

Nonono - discussion is welcome. I've half a mind to make a game discussion thread so this one doesn't get derailed...eh - we'll see.

I agree with you on that, Kamal. While I enjoyed the "character banter," I'd like for there to be some kind of intelligence to it that recognizes the age of the save file. The first few play-throughs, we get the tutorial script. Then every time after that, have the tutorial scripts replaced with a randomize selection of two or three phrases. Just something to spice things up a bit.

I might be repeating myself here (I need to read my own posts - HA!) but it would've been nice if the alliances had had more impact on the game play. Since you can select which partner you get, it'd be nice if that turned on/off the enemies about you. There would be a certain amount of treachery you could achieve before being turned on, and it would take a great deal more to win back your allies. It'd allow for moments like GUN Beetle/Black Hawk hopping a necessary (and forgivable) evil.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicxfactor » Mon May 15, 2006 2:43 pm

All I can say is that the Shadow sections of the next gen Sonic better be good then what we got before. Although seeing the videos of Shadow in his ride was quite impressive, even though it was only like 5 seconds long. But since the game uses the Havok physics engine for the game means the realistic suspension on the vehicles Shadow drives may make them fun to use.

One more thing I know it’s a long way off but do you think that a Sonic Wild Fire adaptation might happen in the comic one day?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby NackTheWeasel » Mon May 15, 2006 4:58 pm

My computer couldn't view the trailer... Must be my bad torrent uploader.
NackTheWeasel
BumbleFan

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Mon May 15, 2006 5:43 pm

No need to use awful torrents. You can see the newest trailers at Sega of Japan's official Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Wild Fire websites:

Sonic the Hedgehog: http://sonic.sega.jp/sonic/

Sonic Wild Fire: http://sonic.sega.jp/wildfire/
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon May 15, 2006 5:59 pm

I don't know about Wild Fire. As is, it sounds like an out-of-cotinuity game, what with Sonic living out the 101 Arabian Nights, or whatever. Adapation will hinge on how soon I get it/through it.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Sonic922 » Tue May 16, 2006 4:41 pm

I just (finally) got 161 from my subscription and I have a few questions:

1: What was Shadow's question right before Scourge flipped him?

2: Did Croctobot get a chance to send Shadow as atrator info to Dr. Robtnik?

3: Will we learn Fiona's past soon?

4: This kina ties in with the last one, is bean referring to Nic the Weasel when he's leaving?

BTW I like the thing with Sonic laughing at the beginning
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue May 16, 2006 8:11 pm

Whoo-ha! Q&A time!

Sonic922 wrote:1: What was Shadow's question right before Scourge flipped him?

He was going to grill him on how he could perform Chaos Control.

Sonic922 wrote:2: Did Croctobot get a chance to send Shadow as atrator info to Dr. Robtnik?

Nope. He got spin-dashed real good before he could do anything.

Sonic922 wrote:3: Will we learn Fiona's past soon?

Yes. :D

Sonic922 wrote:4: This kina ties in with the last one, is bean referring to Nic the Weasel when he's leaving?

Yessir....ma'am...Yes. Yes he was.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicxfactor » Wed May 17, 2006 6:06 pm

Ian, am I allowed to post my DS friend codes on the message board?

I want to test my skills on against some of Bumblekings finest.

And have you played Metroid Prime Hunters yet?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed May 17, 2006 7:46 pm

That kind of thing would go in the General Forum, and I'd caution you. The forums are free to read by everyone, so you stand a chance of getting bombarded.

I have played Hunters, a little, and wasn't too fond of it. It's a fantastic game, but I can't handle the lack of analog stick. The touch screen/buttons just don't work for me. My loss =P
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius