Ask Ian Anything - Extended Addition

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Faded-Myth » Mon May 08, 2006 10:29 pm

Of course. I didn't mean to sound like I was knocking the SA Adaptation... It just, to me, felt too out of place. I guess at the end of the day, orders are orders.

There is one thing I find interesting though... For the first tme I'm left wondering wether bringing in an aspect of the game would be a good idea.. I think most of us are having trouble taking Eggman's current design seriously. It's just too goofy. The new design seems to be actually quite intimidating, to me. And i've already seen people, while voice negative reactions t having a Sonic game suddenly turn so serious and bleak in it's design, admit tha he is quite a villainous looking character. Personally, I think the look would actually serve the comic-book Robotnik to an advantage...

But that's just a random thought anyway. I'm not trying to say "Please put it in the comic!" or anything, because as far as I'm concerned, if your a good enough writer then you don't really need to change the design. But anyways.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby beowolf master of ctalin » Tue May 09, 2006 4:01 am

wow thats awsome, hi again ian, their is robottnik looking real again... :o I liked that and the video that made me drool the only thing i didn't like was the fire chaos BUT COOL NONE THE LESS!!!!! 8) im so HAPPY=)
beowolf master of ctalin
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue May 09, 2006 7:15 am

I'm sorry if it sounded lke I was implying you were dissing the comic, Faded-Myth. I didn't mean that at all! I just meant it as a general compliment to the series's past.

As for the new Robotnik design - I'm not too fond of it. It's not fun I suppose it would look odd for the current Eggman to be walking around realistic humans, but that would also add to his "charm."

We'll see if this new design sticks.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Sonic922 » Tue May 09, 2006 2:38 pm

IanPotto wrote:I'm sorry if it sounded lke I was implying you were dissing the comic, Faded-Myth. I didn't mean that at all! I just meant it as a general compliment to the series's past.

As for the new Robotnik design - I'm not too fond of it. It's not fun I suppose it would look odd for the current Eggman to be walking around realistic humans, but that would also add to his "charm."

Plus he doesn't have an Egg shappe Any more :?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby sonicxfactor » Tue May 09, 2006 3:55 pm

IanPotto wrote:As for the new Robotnik design - I'm not too fond of it. It's not fun I suppose it would look odd for the current Eggman to be walking around realistic humans, but that would also add to his "charm."

I’m not too fond of his new design either. I preferred the current SA style. Although I remember years ago back in 1998 when I first saw screenshots of Sonic Adventure and the redesign of the characters, sonic and the gang looked cool but I was surprised when I first saw Dr Robotniks new design. I had grown used too his original style from the old Mega Drive games. But as the years went by I had grown used to the new design of Robotnik. Even when he had his name changed to Eggman. So even though I hate the new look Robotnik/Eggman if Sonic Team decide to stick with the new look for years to come, I guess I will just have to learn to like it in the end.

Still thats not going to ruin my lust for this game. Next to Kingdom Hearts 2 i want this game bad.
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Tue May 09, 2006 6:33 pm

Ian, I'm wondering how you will handle so many hedgehogs.

Let's review. We have:

Sonic the Hedgehog
Amy Rose the Hedgehog
Rob O' the Hedge
Metal Sonic
Shadow the Hedgehog
Scourge the evil Hedgehog
Silver the Hedgehog

You can disregard Amy Rose (and probably Rob O' the Hedge) from this. But, now you have many super-powered hedgehogs. What do you think you will do with all of them?
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby sonicforever » Tue May 09, 2006 9:52 pm

Ugh I can't believe we have to deal with yet another Hedgehog (with a name that any 3 year old could have come up with), Shadow and all hjis vehicle stuff alongside the Sonic stages. At leas the Sonic game for Wii has him going solo (though the story sounds very weird right now). It seems they have given Eggman a combination of his previous look (no goggles on the top of his head and his mustache is back to the old shape) and the SA design (the clothes and stuff). Plus the fact that he went on the Subway diet like Jared :D . Anyway with Sonic's storyline being pulled in so many directions through these 2 games as well as the PSP game coming out, how do you guys blend all these things together? Also we are not going to see Sonic and co suddenly have a growth spurt and become actual human size like it is rumored to have happened in the new Sonic game are we?
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed May 10, 2006 7:54 am

EthanEmerald wrote:Ian, I'm wondering how you will handle so many hedgehogs.

Let's review. We have:

Sonic the Hedgehog
Amy Rose the Hedgehog
Rob O' the Hedge
Metal Sonic
Shadow the Hedgehog
Scourge the evil Hedgehog
Silver the Hedgehog

You can disregard Amy Rose (and probably Rob O' the Hedge) from this. But, now you have many super-powered hedgehogs. What do you think you will do with all of them?

I don't see there being much of a problem...
    We'll be seeing Sonic and Amy the most since they're principle characters.
    Shadow will only show up every so often.
    Scourge and Metal Sonic are reoccurring villains, so they won't be around all the time.
    Rob is over in Mercia. We aren't in Mercia. So no Rob for awhile.
    I'm not touching Silver until I either know who and what he is in detail, or until Sega says to add him - whichever comes first

So that leaves us with two active hedgehogs and two semi-active ones. (Metal Sonic doesn't count. He's a robot first and foremost).

Besides, I don't think of these guys in terms of species - at least not primarily. I'm writing the character first.

sonicforever wrote:Anyway with Sonic's storyline being pulled in so many directions through these 2 games as well as the PSP game coming out, how do you guys blend all these things together?

We'll see. We may take the route we're using/used for Sonic Rush and Sonic Riders. We may incorporate elements after the fact when we've had time to digest the information. It's far too early to tell how much affect Rivals, NextGen-Sonic and RevSonic will have. (I refuse to call it WiiSonic).

sonicforever wrote: Also we are not going to see Sonic and co suddenly have a growth spurt and become actual human size like it is rumored to have happened in the new Sonic game are we?

Again, I don't know what Sega may tell us to do with their property. Personally, I doubt we'll see any change. While NextGen-Sonic goes the realistic route, Rivals looks like it's retaining the cartoony SH-style. From the sound of it, RevSonic will be be more cartoony to fit with the story-book atmosphere. I think NextGen is more of a deviation from the norm and we'll remain in the current style.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Sonic922 » Wed May 10, 2006 9:38 pm

IanPotto wrote:
sonicxfactor wrote:Which do you like better, the 4Kids dub of Sonic X or the original uncut Japanese episodes with English subs?

The original, unedited material - no contest.

Wher do you see the original versions? I have been looking eerywhere for subtitled versions of the 3rd season, do you have a site, or do you speak French and/or Japanese? :?:
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed May 10, 2006 10:01 pm

I came upon S1&2 in the Japanese and S3 in French before they were available in English. I could glean most of what was going on in the JP because of context and Kureejii Lea could translate a little of the FR.

If you're looking for the original JP/FR files, there are means of acquiring them if you look hard enough online. Nothing I'd advocate due to their not-so-legal status, though.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Faded-Myth » Thu May 11, 2006 12:53 am

WiiSonic. Sounds like a Scottish highlander.

"Ach, ta' noo wit thar wee hij'org. Pants!"
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby AvianTalon » Fri May 12, 2006 7:01 pm

Looks like Sonic WildFire (RevSonic, as you called it. WF seems to be the working title) has Sonic with the same proportions we're used to. It also seems like he's by himself...
AvianTalon
BumbleFan

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Fri May 12, 2006 7:01 pm

Ian! It's that time; Question Time.

Does the Source of All have any "bond" or "connection" with the Master Emerald? How would you say their powers relate?

Thank you!
Ethan
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Sonic922 » Fri May 12, 2006 7:07 pm

Was Robotnik in anyway British? He says some British words and had a slight British accent when voiced by Deem Bristow.
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri May 12, 2006 11:23 pm

EthanEmerald wrote:Does the Source of All have any "bond" or "connection" with the Master Emerald? How would you say their powers relate?

Technically they do - in a round-about sort of way. The Source of All is just that - the basic material of all matter and energy in the universe. The Acorn Monarchy just happened to get a small dose of it in its raw form. So, yes, since the Master Emerald exists, it ultimately came from the Source of All. It's like you are ultimately made of carbon.

I can't being to imagine how the Source has been dilluted over the generations of Acorns, but we've seen that it can act as a powerful magical conductor. The last remaining bits of active Source material (the Crown and Sword of Acorns), if somehow used in conjunction with the Master Emerald, would quite possibly create god-like power.

Sonic922 wrote:Was Robotnik in anyway British? He says some British words and had a slight British accent when voiced by Deem Bristow.

Not that I'm aware of, no. I don't think of him as British, at least. I have to say, though, that the Brits have some words exclusive to their brand of English that simply rock.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius