Ask Ian Anything - Extended Addition

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:25 pm

Sonic922 wrote:I don't know Bean annd Bark too well from the games, so correct me if this is well known or something, but does/will Bark ever talk?

There isn't much to know from their one (Sonic-related) game appearance. Bark's silence is something I had come up with in previous projects and carried over into the actual series. Bark isn't mute, he just doesn't "waste his time" with words.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby jgoreham » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:37 pm

I was sitting here avoiding work on my big school project, and thought I'd post a couple of questions instead :> I hope none of them are repeats.

1. What are the advantages and disadvantages to working with (in?) the format that "Sonic the Hegehog" is published in (main story + backup story)?

2. What's the one question that you wish somebody would ask about working on "StH", and what's the answer to it?

3. What one resource would you recommend to somebody looking to improve the quality of their (fiction) writing?
jgoreham
BumbleFan

Postby Sonic922 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:37 pm

Who's idea was it to make a big story ark like TDS now as apposed to for 175? Is this some kind of special made to begin Sonic's birthday year, or a celebration of the new workers at StH?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby nuckles87 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:12 am

What game systems have you owned? What is by far your favorite game on them?

Of you own a DC, what's your fav game on that? Saturn?
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:09 am

jgoreham wrote:1. What are the advantages and disadvantages to working with (in?) the format that "Sonic the Hegehog" is published in (main story + backup story)?

The only disadvantage - which is universal for any writing - is page count. I enjoy the challenge of telling my story in whatever space is alloted to me, however, so I don't really see it as a disadvantage. The advantage (or one of them) is we can more fully investigate another plotline without regulating it to a subplot.

jgoreham wrote:2. What's the one question that you wish somebody would ask about working on "StH", and what's the answer to it?

"Did you mean for...?" - in which some kind of nuanced background action happens or there is a sight-gag, simply because I want to give budding writers some insight into how involved they can be in the comic production process, and to show the readers how much I'm invested in each story.

Half the time, the answer is "yes." The other half is "No, that was a stroke of genius by the artist." Tracy especially has been brilliant with that kind of thing.

jgoreham wrote:3. What one resource would you recommend to somebody looking to improve the quality of their (fiction) writing?

Pick up any "How to Write" book by either your favorite author or someone you've heard of a good deal. Go into it with a chip on your shoulder. If you agree with what's written, then you've come out both wiser for hearing it and for analyzing it. If you disagree with what's written, you've provided yourself with your mindset for writing.

Ultimately, however, one resource from one medium isn't going to do it for you. You need to immerse yourself in all media of all genres - even if it's just a taste - to get your mind thinking in new and different directions.

Sonic922 wrote:Who's idea was it to make a big story ark like TDS now as apposed to for 175? Is this some kind of special made to begin Sonic's birthday year, or a celebration of the new workers at StH?

The story arcs are dependant on their story. "Birthday Bash" was built upon it being Sonic's anniversary, so the story is a quick two parts. "The Darkest Storm" re-introduces a great number of villains and shakes up alot of the status quo, so our "blockbuster" needed to be a three parter. The stories that lead up to S#175 will fall into place. We don't necessarily need an "EndGame" arc to lead us into a milestone issue.

I've got to stop right there, though, or I'll risk spoiling S#175. Which I won't. You can't make me!

nuckles87 wrote:What game systems have you owned? What is by far your favorite game on them?

Of you own a DC, what's your fav game on that? Saturn?

Hoo-boi...including joint-owned between my brothers, I've had ready access to . . .

GameBoy (classic brick) - Kirby's DreamLand 2
GameBoy Pocket (the classic met with an untimely demise)
GameBoy Advanced - n/a
Sega Genesis - Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Sega Nomad (who remembers this one?)
Sega Dreamcast - Shenmue
Nintendo 64 - StarFox 64
Nintendo GameCube - (currently) Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
Nintendo DS - (toss-up) Sonic Rush / Mario Kart DS
PC (does this count?) - (toss-up) World of Warcraft / Jardinians

I never owned the Saturn because I didn't have the funds, nor were there games (at the time) I wanted. I couldn't afford the extras for the Genesis (Sega CD, 32X) but through Sonic Gems Collection and an emulator, I've played what I've wanted to play.

(I reference the emulator for the 32X with a clean conscience since the hardware/software for it are pretty much non-existant anymore)

I never bought into Sony or Microsoft's platforms (PC aside) due to lack of games that caught my interest. There's maybe one or two for each one, but nothing to compare to the Nintendo library.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicxfactor » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:41 pm

Hello Ian some more questions for ya!

1: I was just reading though Sonic Super Special #1: Battle Royal and in it there is a back up called The Map, where Antoine has one half of a map and tries to find out where it leads to. I just want if you will be looking into this to see where the map leads to?

2: Will Bunnie ever be de-robotazied? In SSS #11 Dr Quack said that she would always have robotic limbs, but in Sonic The Hedgehog: In Your Face! She was back to normal. I know that what we see of the future in the comics may not be the true future but I just want to know is their hope for her?

3: I noticed that King Max hates Sonic again (after the slapping incident no less) but what does Sally’s mum think of Sonic now after what happened? Does she think that Sally’s better off without him or does she think that these two need to talk thing through with each other and not care what the man of the house (or castle) thinks?

4: You probably can’t talk about this but do you know if Antoine and Bunnie will be in the next M25YL? I always wondered what their kids would look like.

5: Is the Source destroyed or will it return?

6: I noticed that Sonic isn’t doing to well without Sally, take a look at the end of #154 and the start of #157 for proof that he’s heart broken. When he’s out with friends he puts on a normal happy face but when alone he feels sad and alone. That’s what I like about the comic as it shows that Sonic has a sensitive side and adds more character to him then in the games where he just runs around looking cool (which is no bad thing). Will we be seeing more of this side of Sonic?

7: Will Scourge always be known as Scourge from now on or will he eventually turn back into Evil Sonic?

8: Will Omega from Sonic Heroes appear in the comic, maybe as a new Eggman creation to battle Sonic and co?

9: Do you know if there are any more trade paperbacks planned?

10: Do you know if Archie will re-release the old issues of Sonic, from issue one onwards? I think this would be a good idea since Sonics 15th is coming up?

11: Have other comic companies approached you to do stories for them or are you totally devoted to Sonic?

12: I live in the UK and being new to the comic I want to get back issues from the Sonic Checklist, however it doesn’t deliver outside of the US and Canada. Is their anyway I can obtain stuff from the checklist from where I am?

sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:47 pm

1: I was just reading though Sonic Super Special #1: Battle Royal and in it there is a back up called The Map, where Antoine has one half of a map and tries to find out where it leads to. I just want if you will be looking into this to see where the map leads to?

That is EXACTLY what my fancomic is about. If you're interested in The Map, a return of the Krudzu, Patch's revenge, and a Team Sonic adventure, you'll want to read "Krudzu Crisis," which I'll be releasing this summer.

Edit: I have some of my own questions.

-What are "Legend of the Corduroy Ninja" and "Dreamcaster?"

-When are you going to give that "special announcement" that we've been anxiously waiting for? ^^

-What is the turning point of us Bumblenewbies?
Last edited by EthanEmerald on Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:10 pm

[cracks knuckles] Alright, let's get down the business here... [/cracks knuckles]

sonicxfactor wrote:1: I was just reading though Sonic Super Special #1: Battle Royal and in it there is a back up called The Map, where Antoine has one half of a map and tries to find out where it leads to. I just want if you will be looking into this to see where the map leads to?

The map led to Budding Hill, a location in Old Mobotropolis. Antoine extrapolated its location while Snively went there using the other half of the map. Whatever was there was burred deep underground and may very well have been vaporized when the nukes went off.

sonicxfactor wrote:2: Will Bunnie ever be de-robotazied? In SSS #11 Dr Quack said that she would always have robotic limbs, but in Sonic The Hedgehog: In Your Face! She was back to normal. I know that what we see of the future in the comics may not be the true future but I just want to know is their hope for her?

Maaaaaaaaybe. I would take the future shown in "In Your Face!" as a possible/alternate future.

sonicxfactor wrote:3: I noticed that King Max hates Sonic again (after the slapping incident no less) but what does Sally’s mum think of Sonic now after what happened? Does she think that Sally’s better off without him or does she think that these two need to talk thing through with each other and not care what the man of the house (or castle) thinks?

Are you thinking of a particular instance with King Max? Perhaps I need to re-read recent issues, but I remember him being cross with Sonic for being Sonic. Obviously he's going to be biased towards his daughter, though. As for Alicia, I think she's torn. Sally is her daughter - one she's been denied all her life - and very much wants to support her in all ways. At the same time, I believe Alicia believes in Sonic and his deeds. She would be in a position to gently guide Sally to see - perhaps - her error in judgement.

But that's all non-canon speculation on my part.

sonicxfactor wrote:4: You probably can’t talk about this but do you know if Antoine and Bunnie will be in the next M25YL? I always wondered what their kids would look like.

Last I saw/heard of M25YL - no, no Antoine or Bunnie.

sonicxfactor wrote:5: Is the Source destroyed or will it return?

There are two small remainders of the Source - the Crown of Acorns (currently on Elias's head) and the Sword of Acorns (currently with Uma Arachnis's orphans).

sonicxfactor wrote:6: Will we be seeing more of this side of Sonic?

Sonic isn't one to wear his heart out on his sleeve, but I assure you, he'll be doing more than just smirking as events unfold.

sonicxfactor wrote:7: Will Scourge always be known as Scourge from now on or will he eventually turn back into Evil Sonic?

Lame-biker-Evil-Sonic is no more! Scourge now and forever! (or for the foreseeable future).

sonicxfactor wrote:8: Will Omega from Sonic Heroes appear in the comic, maybe as a new Eggman creation to battle Sonic and co?

No plans for E-123 anytime soon.

sonicxfactor wrote:9: Do you know if there are any more trade paperbacks planned?

Yes! Last I heard, we're hoping to see them out late this year. DON'T take my word for that.

sonicxfactor wrote:10: Do you know if Archie will re-release the old issues of Sonic, from issue one onwards? I think this would be a good idea since Sonics 15th is coming up?

Please see the previous answer.

sonicxfactor wrote:11: Have other comic companies approached you to do stories for them or are you totally devoted to Sonic?

Whoa nelly! I debuted last month! It's a little early for that just yet. I do hope Sonic will open doors for me down the road, but I'm content with it and my own material right now.

sonicxfactor wrote:12: I live in the UK and being new to the comic I want to get back issues from the Sonic Checklist, however it doesn’t deliver outside of the US and Canada. Is their anyway I can obtain stuff from the checklist from where I am?

Your best option would be to talk to your local retailer and see if he can buy from an international distributer that buys from the North American market. Since we've got folks reading it all over the world, it is possible to get it outside the US/Canada.

EDIT - Confound it! More answers:

EthanEmerald wrote:What are "Legend of the Corduroy Ninja" and "Dreamcaster?"

Original projects under the BKC logo. Stay tuned.

EthanEmerald wrote:When are you going to give that "special announcement" that we've been anxiously waiting for? ^^

...which one? There's a couple waiting in the wings that I'm aware of.

EthanEmerald wrote:What is the turning point of us Bumblenewbies?

Only the most devout will find the answer to this mystery.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Dirk Amoeba » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:59 pm

Ian Potto wrote:Are you thinking of a particular instance with King Max? Perhaps I need to re-read recent issues, but I remember him being cross with Sonic for being Sonic.

When Max told Sally in issue 154 (I think) that she must marry Antoine (Patch), he said that he was glad Sally had no say in the marriage because last time she tried to pick, she picked a commoner (Sonic).

But remember, Max was an harmful drugs and was probably quite confused when he said that. He clearly wasn't himself.
Dirk Amoeba
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:44 pm

Thanks for the direct reference - that makes re-reading alot easier.

Max's opinion of Sonic has always seemed to oscillate between severe disdain and adoration. Considering the time he spent under service of Naugus and not in his right mind, one could question just how stable he is - especially after yet another near-death experience . . .
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby nuckles87 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:11 am

Honestly, I don't really like King Acorn. On the other hand, thats kinda what I liked about what the writers did with his character: made him steeped in old beliefs that where arcaic for today, but accepted on Mobius.

MORE QUESTIONS!

1. I missed a few issues, so I'm not quite sure if this is even a rightful question. But Dimitri was always my favorite bad guy. Got any future plans for him? Or is he gonna spend the rest of his life eating fish food in his fish bowl orb thingy?

2. We haven't seen much of Knuckles lately. I understand that he is getting a part in Darkest Storm, but will he be getting any of his own side stories any time soon?

3. You ever gonna create a character based around the Potto?

4. Whats your favorite novel?

5. On average, how much time to you spend each day on script, notes, concepts, and ideas for StH? Is it a full time job when you get home from work, or is it just something you do at your leisure?
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:12 am

nuckles87 wrote:1. I missed a few issues, so I'm not quite sure if this is even a rightful question. But Dimitri was always my favorite bad guy. Got any future plans for him? Or is he gonna spend the rest of his life eating fish food in his fish bowl orb thingy?

Just to clarify, we've only seen Fishbowl-Dimitri in M25YL. But considering the last time we saw him he was nearly powerless and in a building that got leveled - there may not be much more than that left. We'll find out if/when I get back to him.

nuckles87 wrote:2. We haven't seen much of Knuckles lately. I understand that he is getting a part in Darkest Storm, but will he be getting any of his own side stories any time soon?

Knuckles will be in every story I can conceivably put him in. I have much love for the Rad Red. If you don't see him in a story, it's because he just wouldn't have worked for it in some way.

nuckles87 wrote:3. You ever gonna create a character based around the Potto?

Yes, but not for Sonic.

nuckles87 wrote:4. Whats your favorite novel?

Jeez...er...let's see...

The first three to throw off the top of my head would be The Gunslinger (Stephen King), Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card), and Maniac McGee (Jerry Spinelli).

nuckles87 wrote:5. On average, how much time to you spend each day on script, notes, concepts, and ideas for StH? Is it a full time job when you get home from work, or is it just something you do at your leisure?

It's a little bit intensive, a little bit leisurely. The initial breakdowns and the final revision reference placements can be done in a few minutes if everything falls into place. The most time-consuming part is the initial rough draft, which I usually save for a weekend. That one I pop in some music, eat something to tide myself over, and then write for five hours or so. One of the greatest sensations in the world is to be completely involved in the story as it unfolds, panel by panel, page by page.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Ian I have a few Questions for you my friend:

Postby bw1979 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:27 pm

Will Tails ever get with Fiona? (Something tells me in my heart he will)

Are any of the main FF's going to die or be injuired in TDS?

I've been comparing Sonic's situtaion with Sally to that of Peter Paker's/Spider-man's with Mary Jane (if you watch the extras on Disc 2 of Spiderman and featture called Interwoven you 'll see what I mean) and that in a way it's very simalar in many aspects, do you agree and do you think that may have been what Ken and pervious writers to use?

Will Rouge be on the side of Good or evil in TDS?

Will Knuckles, Juile-Su and the Chaotix have major roles in TDS?

If you could make a min-series/direct-to-video adapation of the main Sonic epic stories, which one would it be?

Do you think a Sonic/FF's crossover with Marvel's X-men would be good?

How big will TDS and the stories after it will be leading into 175?

Speaking of 175, are your surprised Sonic's comic has lasted this long?

And how long have you been a fan of the Sonic Comic before becoming one it's writers?

God Bless.

PS. OTHER M ROCKS! :D
bw1979
KER-BANNED!

Postby Adamis » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:12 pm

Oh, Ian, have you heard anything that Sega would do for Sonic's 15 b-day?
Maybe like using the Freedom Fighters in a game (even as cameos) or even M.Yuji Uekawa drawing them for the occasion?
Adamis
BumbleNoble

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:32 pm

bw1979 wrote:Will Tails ever get with Fiona? (Something tells me in my heart he will)
Are any of the main FF's going to die or be injuired in TDS?

Maaaaaaaaaaybe.

bw1979 wrote:do you agree and do you think that may have been what Ken and pervious writers to use?

I cannot begin to speculate the thinking or (unstated) inspirations of past writers. I do not see any correlation between the past Sonic/Sally relationship and the Peter/Mary Jane one.

Our heroes are both high-adventure fast-talkers, but Peter is an endearing mixture of the haunted, guilty past and the geeky boy-next-door. Sonic carries far more confidence about him and much more assurance that - if something is his fault for once - he can fix it.

Mary Jane - as I understand her - is a confident and independant woman, much like Sally. However, Mary Jane is very aware of her beauty and - to a degree - takes pride in that. She has used it to her benefit, and I don't mean that in a negative way. She also struggles with the home life/wife of a hero/what's my identity struggle as a partner to a hero. Sally has been - up until very recently - very sure of her place in life based upon her skills in both the field and tactical strategy. She does not define herself by Sonic. Mary Jane is the love interest of Peter first, supermodel second. Sally in the Princess and Freedom Fighter first, Sonic's possible love interest second.

bw1979 wrote:Will Rouge be on the side of Good or evil in TDS?

Rouge does not appear in TDS.

bw1979 wrote:Will Knuckles, Juile-Su and the Chaotix have major roles in TDS?

They are not the most prominent players, but they are crucial to our heroes' efforts.

bw1979 wrote:If you could make a min-series/direct-to-video adapation of the main Sonic epic stories, which one would it be?

Just about every story that's somehow involved Angel Island (i.e. SFN:K#1-3, the early run on Knuckles, RTAI). That place is almost garunteed gold.

bw1979 wrote:Do you think a Sonic/FF's crossover with Marvel's X-men would be good?

It all depends on who would be involved in the project. I'm iffy on the concept, but I certainly wouldn't turn away such an excellent cross-promotional move.

bw1979 wrote:How big will TDS and the stories after it will be leading into 175?

If you want alot of the "maaaaaaaaybes" and "wait and sees" of the past few months answered, you can't miss an issue. I'm playing for keeps.

bw1979 wrote:Speaking of 175, are your surprised Sonic's comic has lasted this long?

I guess statistically speaking, the series is a phenominal success. I like to work under the simple premise that an entertaining read will survive, simple as that. In terms of how likely it is/was that Sonic would/will endure, I believe a certain Corillean put it best:
Han Solo wrote:Never tell me the odds!

bw1979 wrote:And how long have you been a fan of the Sonic Comic before becoming one it's writers?

I first started picking up issues with SFN:K#1-3. I started picking up the main series regularly with S#41 and have filled in a good deal of what I've missed since.

Adamis wrote:Oh, Ian, have you heard anything that Sega would do for Sonic's 15 b-day?

Official word has been the new Sonic game for the PS3 and XB360. If there's anything more, I haven't heard of it. I'm hoping Mario shows Sonic the same courtesy our blue blur bestowed him last year. (the Sonic-in-a-Mario-hat graphic)
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius