Ask Ian for April '08 - April Showers Bring Chaos Powers

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Ask Ian for April '08 - April Showers Bring Chaos Powers

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:10 pm

The New Rules wrote: The New Rules

1) Answers Will Come Weekly

Counting from midnight (EST) on Sunday and going into the very last minute of Saturday of each week I'll take questions. Updates will come the following Sunday, and anything submitted on that Sunday will have to wait the week.

2) Five Questions Per Person

Same old rule from before - you get five questions a week, maximum. You don't have to ask five, and anything over five will be ignored. You get a total of five per week, so you're free to post some now and some later. Since that limitation didn't seem to limit too much, however, there's a new wrinkle . . .

3) Limited Number of Answers

I will be selecting questions that I feel will elicit the most thoughtful or informative responses. Questions that look to clarify plot points are good. Asking my opinion about the latest movie isn't the best idea. I don't expect to be picking more than five questions total per week, but it will depend on what's asked per week. I'm not playing favorites or making a statement about anybody's questions. I'm trying to maximize the effectiveness of this feature. So choose your questions carefully.

If we go a dry week, I may go back to questions I passed the first time around and answer them. Still, I'm investing my time to answer y'all's questions. I just ask that some time is invested on your (collective) end.

4) What You Should Post

There is one thing you can post in these threads:

Questions!

No mini-reviews, no reactions to previous questions, no answers - questions only.

Do not post discussion, chatter, corrections, reactions, anything else! If you clutter the thread with anything other than Q&A, your post will be deleted.

5) Wait, what happened to the temporary bans?

Unfortunately, enforcing the rule of the week-long bans ended up creating a greater work-load than managing the Q&A. Another large part of it was I hate banning people. I don't like playing the bad guy. So instead we'll be going with the quicker, cleaner deletion of offending posts. If your post is missing, you did something wrong. Don't do it again, please.

6) Wow . . . This Sure Is . . . Strict

It's a necessary evil to ensure you and everyone else gets the most direct access to the information. If things go well, I might loosen things up a little. But I would rather you all get your answers like this than staying silent forever.

So, with all that scary moderator business out of the way, let's get to asking!
Last edited by Ian Flynn on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Tonberry2k » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:52 pm

I don't think anyone has asked this yet; What do some of the former Archie Sonic writers or staff think of the direction you've taken the comic? Can you tell us anything specific?
Tonberry2k
BumbleNoble

Postby medalis » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:06 am

Only one question Mr. Flynn.

Where's Finitevis?
medalis
BumbleFan

Postby oca2007 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:32 am

1) Was it Robo-robotnick who planted the "nightmare medal" in issue 51?

2) refering to the above question....if not who was it and do you plan on investigating it?

3) Will we ever return to the floating island crater in Downuda (for any reason)?

4) Will these "sources" that Merlin revealed that he knew be shown anytime soon?

5) What/who are the sources?
oca2007
BumbleNewbie

Postby Commissarhoni » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:20 pm

How far does the kingdom of acorn's rule against guns go? and is it upheld for those helping them as well.

It seems very hard for an army to fight without weapons, does the acorn royal guard just not use traditional "guns" and instead weapons such as crossbows, and spears.

also, when is the line drawn on a gun (in the kingdom of acorn's perspective) only on projectile weapons that fire a bullet or shell? lasers? In julie-su's case her "weapon" (not sure what to call it) seems to be a double barreled laser gun, does the kingdom of acorn have laws forbidding groups working for them, such as the chaotix as well, or is julie's weapon in a different class?
Commissarhoni
BumbleNewbie

Postby Death is Censored » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:34 pm

1] Bean and Bark are shown celebrating Robotnik`s defeat on the cover of issue 50, does that mean they use to be freedom fighters?
2]Baring Knuckles, which character in this series would you like to see get their own series?
3]Are there any plans for another mini-series in the future?
4]Why have not we seen any Chaos Rings in the series?
Death is Censored
BumbleNewbie

Postby Luger » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:32 am

1.) Are we going to get a chance to see what Helmut Von Stryker was up to between Sonic Super Special #14 (when he and the Angel Island citizens were banished to another zone) and issue Sonic ish #186?

2.) If you were able to do Sonic Super Specials again, would you consider making one for the Enerjak Reborn arc, with fixed dialogue (several lines were incorrect in the issues) and possibly with additional content, similar to the Director's Cut of issue #50?

3.) Hypothetically, if another spinoff series was to start (say a new Knuckles comic series or something along those lines) would you want to be the lead writer for that on top of the Sonic comics, or would you prefer another writer be called in to handle it?

Thanks for your time.
Luger
BumbleNoble

Postby The Pezman » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:31 am

1. It's pretty obvious that Mogul tapping those three Freedom Fighters long ago was a HUGE retcon. Readers familiar with the earlier arcs know that Mogul has faced off against these particular fighters before and never controlled them, even in his most dire situations (during his first appearance in Mecha Madness, Sonic #56, Sonic #114, Sonic #150, etc etc). You've done a few of these during your time with the book but nothing to this extent before. How do you decide when a story is worth creating a retcon for, particularly one of this magnitude?

2. I understand that a lot of the changes you've made (most notably to the Echidnas) has been for the betterment of the series. The comic is titled "Sonic the Hedgehog" and much of the focus needs to be on him. However, do you feel that these changes have been ideal for the sonic WORLD and story? I don't consider these two the same. For example, you probably wouldn't have made these changes if the Knuckles series were still active.

3. On the other hand, I also know that you have gotten rid of some stuff that you just didn't like (Tommy Turtle, the Chaos Emerald conundrum). So a closely related question would be which elements you've altered because of the state the comic is currently in (i.e. not having two or three concurrent series in this world) and which you've altered because you didn't think they served the world well (no matter how much time or space you had to work with).

4. The side story in 185 reminded me that although Penders is gone, some old, old timers from the series are still around (as demonstrated by the characters and writing style used). Why did their involvement wane for such a large period of time?

5. It seems that this board has replaced the concept of "Sonic-Grams." Though this is a more immediate and direct way to talk to you, I miss the excitement of seeing a gram of mine printed, or finding my name in the print page (remember that?). Is there any way for the book itself to directly acknowledge some of its fans?
The Pezman
BumbleNewbie

Postby Super Knuckles » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:04 pm

These weren't answer in the last topic, so I ask again:

1)Which one is stronger Knuckles or Mighty? (In terms of physical strength)

2)In the free comic book day, Sonic said Knuckles was "good, but not that good", was he telling the truth or was he just mocking him? Is Knuckles in the same level of Sonic, Shadow or even Scourge?
Super Knuckles
BumbleNewbie

Postby Zulon Eredas » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:46 pm

We'll we been seeing S.O.N.I.C.X. again in the coming months?
Zulon Eredas
BumbleNoble

Postby bsonic10 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:44 pm

1) Will Snively be doing anything interesting soon, or will he just be Eggman's side kick for the time being?
2) Who is your least favorite character?
3) Who is your favorite villain at the moment?
bsonic10
BumbleClan

Postby DLM X-13 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:49 pm

1) Whatever became of The Cosmic Interstate? I don't recall seeing it since issue #19. (Edit: Oops, make that #24)

2) Years ago I remember reading somewhere that Bark was not a polar bear at all, but some sort of dingo. Can you verify this?
DLM X-13
BumbleCitizen

Ask Ian

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:31 pm

1. Forgive me if this has been asked, but is Mogul stronger now than he was with his first Chaos Emerald, given that the Grey Emerald is composed of one seventh of all the Chaos Emeralds that used to exist in the galaxy?

2. Do you have an explanation as to why Spectre is so different from the other Guardians-one that you'd be willing to reveal?

3. Are there any plans for Finitevus to make a reappearance this year, or are you holding off with him since he just played a major role in the Enerjak Reborn saga?
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Aurora_Redwinters » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:34 pm

Does Lara-Le know that Locke is "dead'?
Aurora_Redwinters
BumbleNoble

Postby Mauser KAR98K » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:45 pm

I noticed in your "mega-info thread" that you were studying English as a major in college during the time you were working on your submissions to Archie. Did you receive your degree? Has it helped you in your current profession?

Mauser
Mauser KAR98K
BumbleFan

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius