Ask Ian for February '08 - Happy Leap Year!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Ask Ian for February '08 - Happy Leap Year!

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:07 am

Happy New Year! Let’s review the rules, shall we?

The New Rules wrote: The New Rules

1) Answers Will Come Weekly

Counting from midnight (EST) on Sunday and going into the very last minute of Saturday of each week I'll take questions. Updates will come the following Sunday, and anything submitted on that Sunday will have to wait the week.

2) Five Questions Per Person

Same old rule from before - you get five questions a week, maximum. You don't have to ask five, and anything over five will be ignored. You get a total of five per week, so you're free to post some now and some later. Since that limitation didn't seem to limit too much, however, there's a new wrinkle . . .

3) Limited Number of Answers

I will be selecting questions that I feel will elicit the most thoughtful or informative responses. Questions that look to clarify plot points are good. Asking my opinion about the latest movie isn't the best idea. I don't expect to be picking more than five questions total per week, but it will depend on what's asked per week. I'm not playing favorites or making a statement about anybody's questions. I'm trying to maximize the effectiveness of this feature. So choose your questions carefully.

If we go a dry week, I may go back to questions I passed the first time around and answer them. Still, I'm investing my time to answer y'all's questions. I just ask that some time is invested on your (collective) end.

4) What You Should Post

There is one thing you can post in these threads:

Questions!

No mini-reviews, no reactions to previous questions, no answers - questions only.

Do not post discussion, chatter, corrections, reactions, anything else! If you clutter the thread with anything other than Q&A, your post will be deleted.

5) Wait, what happened to the temporary bans?

Unfortunately, enforcing the rule of the week-long bans ended up creating a greater work-load than managing the Q&A. Another large part of it was I hate banning people. I don't like playing the bad guy. So instead we'll be going with the quicker, cleaner deletion of offending posts. If your post is missing, you did something wrong. Don't do it again, please.

6) Wow . . . This Sure Is . . . Strict

It's a necessary evil to ensure you and everyone else gets the most direct access to the information. If things go well, I might loosen things up a little. But I would rather you all get your answers like this than staying silent forever.

So, with all that scary moderator business out of the way, let's get to asking!

Questions from the Previous Thread

SweetChastity wrote:1. Dr. Finitevus sabotaged Albion's defenses before leading Eggman's army into the city. Can you elaborate on this? Was he working with Eggman? Did he just lure Eggman to Albion knowing Eggman would destroy it?

2. Dr. Finitevus experimented on the Brotherhood and then tossed them, and M-Rex, into the Twilight Zone. How did he get his hands on the Brotherhood? They stayed behind to fend off Eggman's forces while Locke fled with the M.E. The Dark Legion then became the resistance for Angel Island. How is it the Brotherhood went from fighting Eggman to being held captive by the Dark Legion?

3. Did Dr. Finitevus romance his way into Lien-Da's heart to gain power within the Dark Legion?

4. What does 'hrk' mean and did Dr Finitevus lose any teeth with that punch Knuckles gave him (kinda looks like something's flying out of his mouth)?

Additional Answers from the Previous Thread

Kureejii Lea wrote:
SweetChastity wrote:4. What does 'hrk' mean?

...it's a grunt, a sound effect. When people get punched in the gut and the like they tend to wheeze out odd sounds.
Last edited by Ian Flynn on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Zulon Eredas » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:26 am

:) More questions this week.

1) I know it's several years out of continuity but what are the chances of us seeing Lower Mobius in some shape or form?

2) Would you be willing to give cameos to other Sega characters such as Billy Hatcher or NiGHTS?

3) With Knothole destroyed do Sonic and the others still refer to themselves as the Knothole Freedom Fighter?
Last edited by Zulon Eredas on Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zulon Eredas
BumbleNoble

Postby Glaber » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:50 pm

1. Although not likly to happen, but if the Sonic X comic udderly failed to the point of cancelation what would be the fate of Cream and those assoiated with her?

2. Will we ever see Cream in the Sonic X comic again or are you afraid to even touch her with that restriction?

3. What prompted you to bring back Chaos the way you did in Sonic X?

4. Is there anyone in New Mobotroplis who prefers being back in knothole dispite it being destroyed twice? (In this case I'm not talking about the main characters at all.)

5. Was the story "Anything" hinting twards the return of Robotizer technology?
Glaber
BumbleCitizen

Postby Cerwyn » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:48 pm

Considering the fact that Aurora sent Locke the dreams that kick started his experiments that gave Knuckles his power, I have to wonder how she feels about how that all turned out. What exactly did she have in mind?
Cerwyn
BumbleFan

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:34 pm

Okay Ian, I've got a few for you:

1. Has Dr. Finitevus already put the information he got from Isaac to use, or did he save that as a backup?

2. Are there any plans to bring Omega, the robot introduced in Sonic Heroes, into the comics?

3. Will we ever learn how Ixis Naugus became the mute brute he is now?

4. Are the Brotherhood aside from Locke still alive, or have they died since Finitevus dumped them in the Twilight Zone?

5. Is Zan the Dragon actually dead, or is it possible that he could return in the future?
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Edmund The Unicorn » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:30 pm

This is my first time posting a connment here, if some of these quistions has already been asked i'm really sorry, and sorry for the bad English ( i'm Dutch )

1: Will the fanart/letters ever return in the comic books?

2: most of the issues based on the video games are previews to get the readers into playing the game will this go on?
Edmund The Unicorn
BumbleCitizen

Postby Astrobot7000 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:40 pm

I only have a few questions, but truly only the first one is very important to me. If you are going to answer any of my questions please answer the first one. It concerns Robotnik, or Eggman, whichever.

1. Robotnik's characterization seems to have completely shifted over the course of a year or so. Look at his debut in issue 75. He was completely ruthless and evil. Look at him now. He is far more cartoony and not really even a serious villain anymore. Granted this is now your character and I have read your defense on the topic. But what has caused the change in Robotnik?

2. Whatever happened to Robotnik's use of Swatbots/Shadowbots? They were awesome and were iconic enemies. I know that you said he will be moving more toward his egg series, but why? This isn't segasonic. Robotnik in the Archie continuity has always used awesome robots, not stupid egg ones. Combots, hover pods, etc.

3. I also know you said we wont be seeing the return of roboticization of mobians again. Is this set in stone? That was part of the dynamic that had us fall in love with the comic in the first place. It wouldn't be a step behind to have an army of loyal robots for Robotnik to control that his enemies cannot fight against. Perhaps more of a nod to the past?

4. Whatever happened to St. John and the rest of the secret service? I liked and miss Wombat Stu, heh

5. Err, I know Robotnik is now pretty much the Eggman, but will we ever have anyone refer to him as Robotnik again? Even just for old times sake?

Thank you for answering the fans Ian. you are great for doing this. I can honestly say I like what you are doing to the comic, but for the most part I don't respect Robotnik as a villain anymore. But, maybe I can again if I hear some defense on the character.
Last edited by Astrobot7000 on Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:19 pm

Humans tend to be the most UNpopular characters in Sonic; so, in Sonic X, what are your thoughts/feelings on each of the following humans:

- Chris

- Chuck

- Ella

- Mr. Tanaka

- Chris' classmates

- Chris' parents

- Mr. Stewart

- Sam Speed/Speed Team

- Topaz

- Anyone else in particular that rubs you the right/wrong way.

--LBD -Not A Choice- "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Megatronmaster » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:32 am

I have some Sonic x questions for you Ian.

#1 I heard Sega doesn't like stuff from the games being used in the comic. What stuff from the games are you allowed to use. Cause I remember the classic badniks and the killer whales from Sonic adventure being used in some of the Issues.

#2 Have you seen the sonic x pilot that showed footage that wasn't used in the show, except for bits in the opening. Cause I thought it was interesting that you saw Mobians in the pilot.

#3 If you have seen this pilot, maybe you could include some of these elements from the pilot in the comic.

If you haven't seen the pilot, you can look it up on youtube. Its called sonic x pilot 1.
Megatronmaster
BumbleFan

Postby SweetChastity » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:18 pm

1. Were you a fan of the series before you began working on them? Or did you pick up the story after getting hired? Were you a fan of the games before you got hired? How long have you been a fan?

2. Question #1 for Tracy if you know.

3. Could you elaborate on Mina's speed? If its related to her being a mongoose then could other mongoose also become fast? How would you rate her speed against Sonic's? (Like Knuckles is said to be as strong as Sonic is fast, do you have a comparison you can give us for Mina's speed?)
Last edited by SweetChastity on Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
SweetChastity
BumbleFan

Question

Postby DeGoogalizer » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:29 pm

My question is when will you & tracey have new stuff on DeviantArt soon?
DeGoogalizer
BumbleNewbie

Postby EHH123 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:20 pm

1. Will you show Mighty as a pacifist like he is in the games?
2. I saw Sally and Amy on the cover of issue 188. Will eather of them appear sooner in 185, 186, or 187?
EHH123
BumbleKnight

Postby medalis » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:22 pm

Hello Mr.Flynn! I hope youre having a good weekend!

1. Who do you think is more of a threat? Mogul or Enerjak?
2. Is Enerjak more like a Dark Chaos Knuckles, or a completly different enity?
3. When will we learn more about Tails, Sonic, and Knuckles' postion in those prophoses(sp?)?
4. Will the Black Arms or Zorda appear again?
5. Are there any alternet universes you want to bring up again, or are all of those gone?

Hope you can answer these Mr.Flynn! Please?
medalis
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:16 am

Questions for 2/3/08 - 2/9/08

Question #1 wrote:Dr. Finitevus sabotaged Albion's defenses before leading Eggman's army into the city. Can you elaborate on this? Was he working with Eggman? Did he just lure Eggman to Albion knowing Eggman would destroy it?

Essentially the latter. I can't reveal more than that right now.

Question #2 wrote:Dr. Finitevus experimented on the Brotherhood and then tossed them, and M-Rex, into the Twilight Zone. How did he get his hands on the Brotherhood? They stayed behind to fend off Eggman's forces while Locke fled with the M.E. The Dark Legion then became the resistance for Angel Island. How is it the Brotherhood went from fighting Eggman to being held captive by the Dark Legion?

Given that Finitevus described his victims as "battle-ragged." They were last seen fighting Eggman's forces to protect the Master Emerald. Since the Master Emerald was still there in RtAI, we can assume they won. Thus: Finitevus picked up their battle-ragged bodies after the right. The Dark Legion was not involved.

Question #3 wrote:Did Dr. Finitevus romance his way into Lien-Da's heart to gain power within the Dark Legion?

Absolutely not. Lien-Da loves power, and Finitevus loves his idealized vision for the world. I'd think them both almost incapable of romance.

Question #4 wrote:I know it's several years out of continuity but what are the chances of us seeing Lower Mobius in some shape or form?

I wouldn't rule it out entirely. I don't have any immediate plans (as of this answer session), but you never know if I might come up with something.

Question #5 wrote:Would you be willing to give cameos to other Sega characters such as Billy Hatcher or NiGHTS?

Personally? Sure. But we've been discouraged from doing that much.

Question #6 wrote:With Knothole destroyed do Sonic and the others still refer to themselves as the Knothole Freedom Fighter?

Perhaps out of a sense of honoring the memory, but it seemed to me that throughout the book they usually only specified the "Knothole" aspect when making a distinction between the other groups. So for now - Knothole FF, New Mobotropolis FF, just FF - whichever you like best is valid.

Question #7 wrote:Although not likly to happen, but if the Sonic X comic udderly failed to the point of cancelation what would be the fate of Cream and those assoiated with her?

I think we would be able to import her into STH. The "Cream Embargo" is solely to keep a distinction between the titles, so I don't see any immediate reason for why she and her assorted relations couldn't come over. Hopefully we'll never have to test that theory.

Question #8 wrote:Will we ever see Cream in the Sonic X comic again or are you afraid to even touch her with that restriction?

Sure, we'll still be seeing Cream. She popped up in the latest arc, and I know she'll show up for a bit in SX#30.

Question #9 wrote:What prompted you to bring back Chaos the way you did in Sonic X?

That was Tracy Yardley!'s doing. You'll have to ask him about that little nugget of genius.

Question #10 wrote:Is there anyone in New Mobotroplis who prefers being back in knothole dispite it being destroyed twice? (In this case I'm not talking about the main characters at all.)

I'm sure most of the younger generation misses Knothole since its what they grew up with. If they could, I'm sure the city as a whole would unite to rebuild it. Unfortunately that isn't an option for them right now.

Question #11 wrote:Considering the fact that Aurora sent Locke the dreams that kick started his experiments that gave Knuckles his power, I have to wonder how she feels about how that all turned out. What exactly did she have in mind?

This all ties into the many ideas I have for her character, and I can't get to them yet. ARGH! (haha) Suffice to say: look at how many times the Ancient Walkers got directly involved and how it turned out. Now compare that to Aurora's track record. Hrm.

Question #12 wrote:Has Dr. Finitevus already put the information he got from Isaac to use, or did he save that as a backup?

A little of both. You'll find out more as time goes on.

Question #13 wrote:Are there any plans to bring Omega, the robot introduced in Sonic Heroes, into the comics?

There's been a few, and I have one in particular waiting in the wings for just the right occasion. We'll see if/when we can bring him in.

Question #14 wrote:Will we ever learn how Ixis Naugus became the mute brute he is now?

STH#173.

Question #15 wrote:Are the Brotherhood aside from Locke still alive, or have they died since Finitevus dumped them in the Twilight Zone?

Considering how slow times moves in comparison to the Twilight Zone, they may be in an equivalent state of suspended animation. They were alive when Finitevus dumped them there. Now it's a question if anyone will think to look for them there before their injuries and exposure finishes them off.

[quote-"Question #16"]Is Zan the Dragon actually dead, or is it possible that he could return in the future?[/quote]

Count him as dead. The only reason I'd bring him back would be to kill him again. The jerk.

Question #17 wrote:Will the fanart/letters ever return in the comic books?

Unless I've missed a memo somewhere, that kind of material will eventually show up on the new blogs for STH and SX.
STH Blog
SX Blog

Question #18 wrote:most of the issues based on the video games are previews to get the readers into playing the game will this go on?

Yes. The time between when we get the information about an upcoming game and plotting ahead makes it nigh-impossible to make the two mesh perfectly. By keeping the tie-ins as separate back-ups, we can touch upon the new material, enjoy a mutual advertising boost, and save the hard part of knitting it all together later.

Question #19 wrote:Robotnik's characterization seems to have completely shifted over the course of a year or so. Look at his debut in issue 75. He was completely ruthless and evil. Look at him now. He is far more cartoony and not really even a serious villain anymore. Granted this is now your character and I have read your defense on the topic. But what has caused the change in Robotnik?

This one's been argued into the ground. If the Egg Grapes and carnage of STH#175 cannot set him as a credible threat, then there's nothing I can do. A body count that's in the thousands and the cruelty to personally crush someone's spirit and body in one orchestrated attack is pretty darn evil in my eyes. I've purposefully made him lean more wacky than the rigid and cold depiction in SatAM because I find someone that unpredictable and unstable more frightening, and it's a good way to make a distinction between where the book is now and a long-dead cartoon series.

Question #20 wrote:Whatever happened to Robotnik's use of Swatbots/Shadowbots? They were awesome and were iconic enemies. I know that you said he will be moving more toward his egg series, but why? This isn't segasonic. Robotnik in the Archie continuity has always used awesome robots, not stupid egg ones. Combots, hover pods, etc.

This isn't SegaSonic. It isn't SatAM Sonic either. It's ArchieSonic - the combination of just about all things "Sonic." The SWAT/ShadowBots were about as effective as Egg Pawns/Flappers/Hammers. The SWATs become obsolete. The ShadowBots were nuked with Robotropolis. The "EggBots" were the next logical step seeing as they have been prominent in the recent games. The majority of the readership comes from the game players, and the Egg Pawns would be readily recognizable for them. It's a moot point now anyway since Enerjak wiped out the Badnik Horde.

Question #21 wrote: I also know you said we wont be seeing the return of roboticization of mobians again. Is this set in stone?

Nope. This could change if we found the right story for it.

Question #22 wrote:4. Whatever happened to St. John and the rest of the secret service?

Geoffrey and Hershy got married and are still working for the Secret Service. You'll be seeing one of them very soon. Heavy and Bomb fell under Robotnik's control again and were destroyed. They haven't been rebuilt yet. Unofficially Wombat Stu has gone home to Downunda.

Question #23 wrote:Humans tend to be the most UNpopular characters in Sonic; so, in Sonic X, what are your thoughts/feelings on each of the following humans:

That's a clever way of asking me ten separate questions. (HAHA) I'll sum it up like this:
- the adults that first appeared in Season 1 (Tanaka, Ella, Chuck) are all fun characters and I like them a lot. Tanaka won extra points when he dressed as the Green Hornet - most out-of-the-blue reference ever.
- I don't like the Thorndykes. Nelson and Lindsay are terrible parents, and Chris . . . don't get me started on Chris.
- the classmates annoy me, but only in so much is they don't have much character. They're almost entirely filler.
- the same goes for almost everyone else.
- Sam Speed is a jerk. A noble jerk.
- Mr. Stewart is perhaps the single most interesting human the series has.

Question #24 wrote:I heard Sega doesn't like stuff from the games being used in the comic. What stuff from the games are you allowed to use. Cause I remember the classic badniks and the killer whales from Sonic adventure being used in some of the Issues.

It's something of a case-by-case basis. They usually prefer us to use our own robot designs, but as you can see we got a lot of mileage out of the Egg Fleet and the assorted EggBots. They usually prefer us to let the newer characters get more exposure and development before we use them (i.e. Silver), but the book used Rouge and Shadow pretty early on. There's no real "100% off-limits" list - it just depends on what's going on for them at the time.

Question #25 wrote:Have you seen the sonic x pilot that showed footage that wasn't used in the show, except for bits in the opening. Cause I thought it was interesting that you saw Mobians in the pilot.

I hadn't seen it until you pointed it out - thanks! I don't think much in the pilot can be taken as canon since Shadow shows up. It's a nice idea that there is a kind of full-blown "Mobius" in SX - it was hinted at during one of Tails's flashbacks - but since we have no real plans to go back to Sonic's world in SX I don't think we'll be delving into that.

Question #26 wrote:Were you a fan of the series before you began working on them? Or did you pick up the story after getting hired? Were you a fan of the games before you got hired? How long have you been a fan?

I've been an avid, unshakable fan of the games since Sonic 2 on my shiny new Genesis. I've been following the book since Knuckles's first mini-series. Part of what helped my application when I approached Archie was my encyclopedic knowledge of the franchise. I already had the characters down-pat in my mind - all I had to worry about was crafting the stories of the submitted scripts.

Question #27 wrote:Question #1 for Tracy if you know.

Comparable, I believe. You should ask him.

Question #28 wrote:My question is when will you & tracey have new stuff on DeviantArt soon?

When we have time.

Question #29 wrote:Will you show Mighty as a pacifist like he is in the games?

I like to think Mighty wouldn't use his power unless he really had to. At the same time, he's very dedicated to protecting his friends. So maybe not an out-right pacifist, but more of the "Speak Softly and carry a Big Fist" mentality.

Question #30 wrote:Who do you think is more of a threat? Mogul or Enerjak?

Mogul - there isn't an Enerjak right now. In a comparative sense, I think it could be argued either way.

Question #31 wrote:Are there any alternet universes you want to bring up again, or are all of those gone?

I'd really like to get into AntiMobius sometime in the near future.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Zulon Eredas » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:55 am

Another batch of questions this week :D

1) During Line of Succession Antoine (Patch) mentioned a King Leonus, will we ever learn anything about him or his kingdom?

2) Now that the Sonic Checklist is once again available, I was wondering why the Sonic Adventure Arc seems to be omitted.
Last edited by Zulon Eredas on Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zulon Eredas
BumbleNoble

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius