The "Ask Tracy!" thread

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

The "Ask Tracy!" thread

Postby Tracy Yardley! » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:19 pm

Hey Y'all ( I live in the south, so I can say that)

I know I already have a Sonic X thread and my "Hello" thread, but I wanted to start one specifically for all those who have comments or questions directed to me. Its tough to look through all of the different topics and find comments that I might have something to contribute to, so I thought this would be easier. So ask or comment away!

Tracy!
Tracy Yardley!

Postby sonicxfactor » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:54 pm

Hey Tracy whats up? I was reading the interview you Ian and Mike did on newsarama.com and Mike said you would be pencilling a Sonic Riders tie-in. first when will we see this and second will you be drawing it in close as possable to the same art style as the anime intro of the game that was done by Production I.G or will you be doing it in your own style like in the upcoming issue 160?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Tracy Yardley! » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:35 pm

To Sonicxfactor:
I'm not sure when exactly that story will appear. It will be presented as a two part back up, six pages each. I know that the inks were just completed a day or two ago. I think that it will be printed basically as soon as its colored. I ALSO think that Mike wants to run the Sonic Riders stories and Tania's Sonic Rush story back to back, so once they're ready they should go to print. I'm by no means the final authority, but I'd expect to see them in the mid 160's somewhere. Again, don't hold me to that.

As for the art, I did indeed try my best, at Mike's request, to match up with the art style from the anime intro for the game. That means it has the thick outlines and the line hatched "shadow" areas. Its kind of a weird, production art look, but it works pretty well. Of course, with anything I draw, there's still a little of my own style there too, unlike Spaz who can emulate an art style flawlessly. Overall, I think they're some of the best pages I've ever drawn, Sonic or otherwise.

Tracy!
Tracy Yardley!

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:34 pm

I'm happy to see the comic is tilting toward SEGA influence. Sonic Riders wouldn't be my first choice for a video game adaptation, but, I'm sure it will be awesome. And, guess what? My assumptions are generally pretty accurate! ^^

It's shocking to imagine it printed as two six-page backup stories. If I was the editor (HAH,) I would have it run as a 12-page mainstory. I feel the same way for Tania's Sonic Rush tie-in.

Hm. Well, I'm ultimately and positively excited for all stories in production!
I thank you and Ian for all of those nice spoilers you're slipping to us! ;)

See you! (Your #160 work, anyway!)
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Re: RE

Postby sonicxfactor » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:29 am

EthanEmerald wrote:I'm happy to see the comic is tilting toward SEGA influence. Sonic Riders wouldn't be my first choice for a video game adaptation, but, I'm sure it will be awesome. And, guess what? My assumptions are generally pretty accurate! ^^

It's shocking to imagine it printed as two six-page backup stories. If I was the editor (HAH,) I would have it run as a 12-page mainstory. I feel the same way for Tania's Sonic Rush tie-in.

Hm. Well, I'm ultimately and positively excited for all stories in production!
I thank you and Ian for all of those nice spoilers you're slipping to us! ;)

See you! (Your #160 work, anyway!)

I agree on the Sonic Rush tie-in, I think it deserves to be a 12-page main story as well and not be a two-part back up. Maybe the backup is just a warm up of some kind giving us a taste in what may appear in the future, if that’s true what I say then maybe we will see more of Blaze in the comic and get a chance to see Super Sonic and Super Blaze kicking the @#$% out of Eggman and Eggman Nega just like in the game. That would be sweet. That and a Shadow The Hedgehog game adaptation being a 12-page main story and not a backup would be cool to see (especially if Archie stayed true to the game and let Shadow carry firearms).

I haven’t played Sonic Riders yet (its not out in the UK till 17th of March) so I don’t know about this getting a 12-page main story, I mean it’s a spin off game to the Sonic series. Take Sonic R for example, that was a racing game like Sonic Riders but something like that doesn’t really deserve a main story (Archie never did one or a backup, I think) as its just a spin off and has nothing really to do with the main Sonic video game universe and story and I don’t think it would be very good anyway, I mean would you think it’s a cool idea to see a Sonic Drift, Sonic The Hedgehogs Gameworld or Tails & The Music Maker main story? I didn’t think so. If they were going to do a Sonic Riders story I think it would be more suited to a backup. However when I do eventually get to play the game and have spent many hours on it I may suddenly change my mind and think that this game getting a 12-page main story may be a cool idea.
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Tracy Yardley! » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:24 pm

sonicxfactor wrote: as its just a spin off and has nothing really to do with the main Sonic video game universe and story and I don’t think it would be very good anyway,

Well, I haven't played Sonic Riders yet (and don't know when I ever will) but it certainly LOOKS cool. And in the same vain, Ian has written a great twelve page (cut in half as two back ups) story with some GREAT action. It was fun to draw, and like I said before, I think some of my best work so far. As for the future relevance of Rush and Riders to the Archie Sonicverse, who knows?

Tracy!
Tracy Yardley!

Postby Kureejii Lea » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:29 pm

sonicxfactor wrote:I haven’t played Sonic Riders yet (its not out in the UK till 17th of March) so I don’t know about this getting a 12-page main story, I mean it’s a spin off game to the Sonic series. Take Sonic R for example, that was a racing game like Sonic Riders but something like that doesn’t really deserve a main story (Archie never did one or a backup, I think) as its just a spin off and has nothing really to do with the main Sonic video game universe and story and I don’t think it would be very good anyway, I mean would you think it’s a cool idea to see a Sonic Drift, Sonic The Hedgehogs Gameworld or Tails & The Music Maker main story? I didn’t think so. If they were going to do a Sonic Riders story I think it would be more suited to a backup. However when I do eventually get to play the game and have spent many hours on it I may suddenly change my mind and think that this game getting a 12-page main story may be a cool idea.

Somehow I think Riders has more story to it than Tails & the Music Maker, especially since the former has cutscenes.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby sonicblaster59 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:10 am

Question from the crowd...

which is a non-SONIC question.

About your original series, "Nate and Steve"...

HOw did you go about copywriting those characters? I always thought you had to go through a patent office or something, (fill out many papers) on your characters to make them yours. Do you have to have original documention, signed and dated character sheets? Basically what I am trying to say is, how does a indie comic book artist copywrite their work?

And who owns the copywrite when apperently there are 4 people invovled with your series?

ANd who publishes your "Nate and Steve" comic book? I clicked the buy it now link and it took me to a paypal site. Does paypal have a devision of paperback publishing or something or do you go to a printers in town?

Sorry for all the questions, but I was just wondering how you started with your "original" series and what ways I could go around the "copywrite" process. As I am working on original stuff as well.

Well, thats I have to say right now...later and take care!

Blaster Out 8)
sonicblaster59
BumbleKnight

Postby Dirk Amoeba » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:59 am

Actually, the legal process isn't necessary, although it has its perks. Under US copyright law, once you've created something and written, drawn, or posted it, you own the copyright on it. For instance, I own the copyright for this post, just because I wrote it and it's completely original. If you were to copy and paste this post somewhere else without my permission, you'd technically be violating my copyright.
Dirk Amoeba
BumbleFan

Postby Tracy Yardley! » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:01 pm

To Sonicblaster59:

1. HOw did you go about copywriting those characters?

What Dirk Amoeba said is right on the money:
"Actually, the legal process isn't necessary, although it has its perks. Under US copyright law, once you've created something and written, drawn, or posted it, you own the copyright on it. For instance, I own the copyright for this post, just because I wrote it and it's completely original. If you were to copy and paste this post somewhere else without my permission, you'd technically be violating my copyright."

The big downside to not having a documented copyright is that it would be difficult to collect damages in a legal suit against anyone who might violate your copyright. Of course, anyone who might make a profit off of your work, such as Marvel or DC, is unlikely to steal your work because they won't want the headaches of dealing with a lawsuit. If you are serious about getting a registered copyright then go here for all the details: http://www.copyright.gov/register/visual.html

2. And who owns the copywrite when apperently there are 4 people invovled with your series?

Well, the only two REALLY involved are Nate and me. Brandon inked some on the books, but he has no real investment in the property. Steve is merely inspiration. He jokingly says he wants money if "Nate and Steve" ever gets big, and if it ever did, we'd give him something for the use of his likeness. Until that happens, none of us are too worried about it. Nate and I have a verbal agreement that any monies paid to produce the book or profits (which there are none) made are to be split 50/50. Working with your friends can be a real quagmire, so be sure you're on the same page before you even start.

3. ANd who publishes your "Nate and Steve" comic book? I clicked the buy it now link and it took me to a paypal site. Does paypal have a devision of paperback publishing or something or do you go to a printers in town?

We pay a local printer to print the book. I lay out the files on my computer at home. I do it in Photoshop and save the files in the order they need to be printed, but there are much better ways of doing this with InDesign or other programs, but I don't know how to use 'em. The trick is finding a printer who'll do it for a cheap enough price to make it worth your while. If you're planning to throw down a couple thou to make some real nice books, I'd go with a small press publisher. There are other options too. To find out more, visit these sites, or type "comic book small press publishers" into google:

http://www.zinebook.com/directory/comic-books.html
http://www.egoworks.com/dreamweaverpress/main.html
http://www.lulu.com/static/pr/09_28_04.php

Once you've got some ideas of what you want to do and how, go to the Xeric Foundation site to see about getting some dough to make your book. We applied once and got turned down, so they clearly don't know a winner when they see one:

http://www.xericfoundation.com/

As for paypal, you just go there to sell stuff. Just set up an account and you can link it to your website (if you have one.) If you don't have one, get one. I go through a local guy for that, but there are plenty of places online to do that too. Just shop around for a good price first. And if you're not sure about your design sense, get help with that, cuz' no one will look at a dumpy website.

So, in short, Nate and Steve is an "ashcan" comic we print ourselves and sell on our website and at cons. If you're really into self publishing you should try the Small Press Expo usually held in or around Washington DC. We went in '04. It really wasn't my cup of tea, but I guarantee you can learn more about self publishing there than I could begin to tell you:

http://www.spxpo.com/

Finally, be prepared to spend loads of cash with no profit. Of course, it CAN pay off ( I'm living proof) Just maybe not in the way you'd expect.

Tracy!
Tracy Yardley!

Postby sonicblaster59 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:14 pm

Thanks Tracy and Dirk for the information...it helped clear up a few things. :D

I clicked the buy it now link and it took me to a paypal site.

As for paypal, you just go there to sell stuff. Just set up an account and you can link it to your website (if you have one.)

Well, another reason I asked about the paypal stuff is that I don't have a credit card or paypal account. If there was some other way for me to get ahold of your stuff (like send money to a po box or something) I'd buy a few issues.

Anywho, thanks again for the links and information! :D
sonicblaster59
BumbleKnight

Postby jgoreham » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:23 am

sonicblaster59 wrote:Well, another reason I asked about the paypal stuff is that I don't have a credit card or paypal account. If there was some other way for me to get ahold of your stuff (like send money to a po box or something) I'd buy a few issues.

It's super easy to set up paypal, and doesn't require a credit card.
jgoreham
BumbleFan

Postby sonicforever » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:23 pm

Do you prefer SOnic's old style (black eyes, no buckles, and shorter spikes) to his new style or vice versa?

While I like all the new stuff, lately the spikes in the games and somtimes the comics have been getting ridiculously long.
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby Tracy Yardley! » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:51 am

Overall I prefer the new style. Those irises in his eyes get annoying when you gotta draw him real small though ;) I think the buckles on his shoes are cool, but really don't seem to have any reason to be there. And I do like his longer spines, but yeah, sometimes they get a little out of control. I know Ron Lim draws them WAY long. pretty much just like Knuckles' dreads. (Not to single out Mr. Lim, but he is the worst offender in the long spine department.)

And even though this wasn't part of your question, you'll probably eventually notice that I don't try to draw all three rows of Sonic's spines. Its just too messy in 2-D I think. So, I go with the Sonic X philosophy of just drawing the three individual spines from whichever angle Sonic is facing. Someday I might change that up, but for now it works for me.

Tracy!
Tracy Yardley!

Postby ChronosCat » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:49 am

sonicxfactor wrote: That and a Shadow The Hedgehog game adaptation being a 12-page main story and not a backup would be cool to see (especially if Archie stayed true to the game and let Shadow carry firearms).

Aside from the aliens from it showing up at some future date, there's not going to be a Shadow adaptation. The closest thing to it is the Shadow-related stories surrounding and including "The Good, The Bad, and the Unknown".

sonicxfactor wrote: I haven’t played Sonic Riders yet (its not out in the UK till 17th of March) so I don’t know about this getting a 12-page main story, I mean it’s a spin off game to the Sonic series. Take Sonic R for example, that was a racing game like Sonic Riders but something like that doesn’t really deserve a main story (Archie never did one or a backup, I think) as its just a spin off and has nothing really to do with the main Sonic video game universe and story and I don’t think it would be very good anyway, I mean would you think it’s a cool idea to see a Sonic Drift, Sonic The Hedgehogs Gameworld or Tails & The Music Maker main story? I didn’t think so.

<Pointless Trivia:> They did a Sonic Spinball Adaptation way back when, you know. :) </Pointless Trivia>
ChronosCat
BumbleNewbie

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius