Welcome one and all!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Shorty » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:31 pm

Question 1.

I was wondering about the concept of casual dating introduced by Ken and Sonic's Angels. I wondered if I should ask about it. Then our class went into a discussion about it and I thought that, and the fact so many SonSal fans are talking might be a sign.

For anyone who isn't aware of casual dating it's the newer approach to dating by the newer generations. There have been mixed reactions to it. Some have called Sonic a whore as the comic hasn't taken the time to explain Sonic's taking a non traditional approach to dating (much unlike his approach before he realized it was too early to go too steady with someone), and then there were some on Ken's board who thought it was a good way for us all to walk from love issues happy once Miko explained it. For anyone unfamiliar with this stage of the dating process my guide defines it when "each partner starts to develop a stronger interest in the other. Generally when you date casually, you do not have exclusive commitments to one another which means you can continue to occassionally date others." It also explained that you can date as a group, explaining potential rejection isn't as personal should it happen. Some instances being taking a group of girls out for chili dogs at the end of a mission, or holding another's hand.

To add my opinion to the posed question like a few people have to their questions: I see it more unbiased approach to Sonic and the girls and hope it stays. Allowing him to casually date and bond with female friends/interests (similarly to how Archie does with his female "friends" Betty and Veronica), while leaving fans of any particular pairing to imagine their specific pairing play out without the comic saying "no it's not possible" or "it WILL happen" like M25YL attempted to. It seemed like a fair comprimise for people who want to keep their opinion about who Sonic should be with, but want to move on. I ask if it could happen only because I'm not a Sonic/Sally fan within the comic series. Also their relationship problems got center stage and I was wondering if relationships have to get that anymore. I like Sonic/Mina, and I happen to think while Ash could allow Mina to be seen as independent, he doesn't need to go steady with her to do that, a casual date or two to show Sonic's not only guy in her life and she doesn't have to be steady with him. (True they did reconcile, that doesn't mean they never opted to take it slow). Same with the other girls, maybe even Sally. I'm not suggesting Sonic not want to cuddle up with Sally completely, as I respect the opinions of those who like the couple, nor do I feel Sonic's final choice needs to really be touched on. But if love issues are ever to eventually be touched on... geh.. I'm rambling. I just hope the idea keeps up in the comics.
Question 2.

the second question is directed to Mina's singing career. Apparently even Ken noted that her "girl next door" title gave her something a lot of the cast didn't have as nobles or world renown heroes. Currently she's just a city singer who people like. Is Mina's singing career to be dropped in the favor of her being a more common girl again? And what of her abilities? Surely for instance Mina would be better at waving around a the ever tossed around medi kit since she's fast, but not in control to take the offensive. I think there's a lot of potential with Mina, but will we see her again?

IanPotto wrote:I have every intention of (eventually) helping Sally find her way back into the beloved (or less-hated, if you prefer) leader she once was.

Ken and/or BobR noted in their writing there was the issue of Sally being next in line for the throne. The king and queen made told Sally during home she was risking her life and the government's future. Do you plan to touch on this obstacle towards Sally being the traditional leader she was, or do you mean more in-the-castle directing?

sonicxfactor wrote:They cant kill Mina off, shes married to Tails in Mobius 25 Years Later.

I think both of the editors, and Karl said M25YL is a possible future for the charachters. I don't think Ian has to follow that.
Last edited by Shorty on Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shorty
KER-BANNED!

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:50 pm

Well...

I'd rather not see M25YL contridicted.
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Kureejii Lea » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:48 pm

Shorty: Don't worry about the accidental post, it's been taken care of.

Though I must ask, since I don't have some of the more recent issues... was it not Evil Sonic hanging out with all the girls, meaning that Sonic has not been "casually dating" at all?
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:52 pm

Shorty -

1) I'm afraid I missed the question in there, but I will comment on the "Pimpin' Sonic" nonsense that's gripped the net. Let us go step-by-step on this:
    +Sonic x Sally - got very serious, then ended very badly. Sonic is now free to investigate new partnerships.
    +S#150 - Evil Sonic macks on all the ladies, which ultimately creates very little seen confusion.
    +Sonic "x" Bunnie - Bunnie takes things a little far when thanking Sonic for the rescue in S#152. Starved for companionship, and devastated by Evil Antoine's actions, she spends time with Evil Sonic - who she presumes is her long time, close friend.
    +Bunnie x Antoine - Reunited, wounds healed, with Bunnie's moments of weakness touched upon in a future story.
    +Sonic x Fiona - post-E.Sonic getting every girl's attention for a day, Sonic hooks up with Fiona. Both are testing the waters, and as the pre-release pages of S#160 show, they're doing fine.
    +E.Sonic-Caused Confusion - very little there, and quickly nullified in S#160. I see no need to drag out that kind of melodrama.

So Sonic has moved from a break-up to a new girl with mixed emotions on where his heart really lies. Seems human enough to me.

NOW THEN! Question #2:
Shorty wrote:Is Mina's singing career to be dropped in the favor of her being a more common girl again? And what of her abilities? I think there's a lot of potential with Mina, but will we see her again?

Nope, I plan on Mina sticking to her pipes. I've got a story I'd like to eventually get around to telling concerning her speed, but that probably won't materialize within the next few years. We will see her again, eventually, nevertheless.

Unofficial Question #3:
Shorty wrote:Ken and/or BobR noted in their writing there was the issue of Sally being next in line for the throne. The king and queen made told Sally during home she was risking her life and the government's future. Do you plan to touch on this obstacle towards Sally being the traditional leader she was, or do you mean more in-the-castle directing?

The issue over her ascention in "Home" are moot now - Elias has taken the crown. Provided he and Meg don't have another child, Sally would take the throne should Elias fall.

So the question becomes for Sally: where does she fit now? She's been inside the palace acting as heir apparent for so long, and she's been out of active duty wit the Freedom Fighters - it's a big question she'll have to face.

As for M25YL - Some say that time is like a river, flowing swift and sure in one direction. I have seen the true face of time, and I can tell you it is like an ocean in a storm. You may wonder who I am, and why I tell you these things. Come - and I will tell you a story the likes of which you have never heard before. [/Prince of Persia]

In a nut shell: I'm treating M25YL as a possible future. There's a whole long debate about it, but there's the answer for ya.

As a final note - a general note for everyone - please do not re-post others' posts from other forums, and please do not post for people who are not registered for these forums. If you want to reference someone's post elsewhere, please link to the original post.

Thanks!
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Re: RE

Postby Shorty » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:30 am

EthanEmerald wrote:Well...

I'd rather not see M25YL contridicted.

Not to get off topic, but..

IMO, people should at least have some sort of freedom of choice. I mean, how would you like it if something didn't go your way in M25YL? Especially when it comes to pairings (as many Mina fans were fairly put off by the Tails/Mina idea Ken came up with for example, or Knuckles and Julie-su not being married for other fans). I really don't know exactly what path Ian's going in regaurds to "in the future stories", but nonetheless I'm all for choice when it comes to this situation. Lately, I've been learning a lot and with the help of my friends (Pro SatAM, gamer and Archie), my older sis, and my mom who always told me to "do unto others what you'd want to have done to you".

With that, I've been doing a lot of thinking..... I wouldn't like it if Mina got taken out of the running completely (for Sonic), so is it fair that other fans like Sonic/Sally and others have to go through that either(Especially the pairings and potential pairings that proved to be so popular in the past)? IMO, that only causes more debates and adds more friction to the fanbase because people feel like they have a lot to lose in this series. Besides, this is the present storyline, where marriage and stuff like that shouldn't really even matter but so much.

Phwee...Marketting's a lot about compromise, I guess.

Anyway, more questions!

1. Do you have any plans as to where you intend to go with characters like Prince Elias now that he's the new king? Will his new position be developed more into, or can we just consider it one of those undeveloped status quos that'll just be "there".

2. Where do you think Mina (Yes Mina again, I know I suck :(hearty laughter): ) currently stands with Sonic? Now that Sonic's testing the waters, do you think she'd be a possibility (like many of the other femmes currently) eventually? Or do you just plan on it being Sally/Sonic/Fiona currently?

3. Speaking of Mina, what about Ash? Unlike many of my friends and siblings (who don't seem to care about him nearly as much), I was curious as to whether or not there was any development in mind for him like his past or anything. Do you have any plans on making Ash have more of a place in the comics? Y'know, more contributing to stories? It seems that outside being Mina's manager (and her career has yet to really contribute but so much to the comics as it stands) he really doesn't do much else.

4. What about King Acorn? Is he going to get out of that coma anytime soon? Or is his status the status quo right now, much like how queen Alica's was in the past?

5. This question reffers to Hope Kintobor. Can't say I'm a big fan of hers, but I'm at the very least curious about her. She seems like she's just...stuck in Knothole. Do you have any plans for her to contribute anything to the stories? Or is she that type of character who gets development usually when Shadow arrives in the stories? Speaking of him....would you consider Hope...er, well... Shadow's love interest, or just a friend?

6. Will Tails' parents ever get touched on again? I know Ken or Karl (can't remember which one) had made plans on touching up the issue. Do you think you'd follow through with that, or are they just going to be stuck in space until further notice? Speaking of Tails....

7. Last question! Some people I know have been complaining about the Brain trust. And its been on my mind too.. Ever since the brain trust came, there's been a heavy addition of new freedom fighters, and Tails' dynamic with Sonic (due to the fact he's part of that subteam) has really been severed. You don't really get to see the Hero/Sidekick dynamic that much anymore (and this whole Fiona problem isn't making things any easier :roll: ) What plans do you have for the Brain Trust? If its to remain, what about Tails?
Shorty
KER-BANNED!

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:18 am

On "Conflict" - I'm not going to actively seek means through which to set the fandom a-hollerin', but consider this:
There is a big row over "x." It spills over as casual mentioning on other, non-Sonic forums. Non-readers become curious about what the hub-bub is. They pick up the comic. Hopefully, they get just as emotionally involved and stick with the book. BOOM! Bigger reader base :D

In theory.

Anyway, on to your question.

Shorty wrote:1. Do you have any plans as to where you intend to go with characters like Prince Elias now that he's the new king?

I will definitely be following up on the reign of Elias. Part of me wishes I had a seperate title for him altogether, but if wishes were horses . . .
There are plans for him and the Acorn Monarchy as a whole.

Shorty wrote:2. Where do you think Mina (Yes Mina again, I know I suck ) currently stands with Sonic? Now that Sonic's testing the waters, do you think she'd be a possibility (like many of the other femmes currently) eventually? Or do you just plan on it being Sally/Sonic/Fiona currently?

That's three questions! XD Sonic and Mina are friends and that's that. I never saw there being a triangle; Sonic may have had a meandering thought or two, but as "Heart Held Hostage" showed us, his heart was set on Sally. Mina was a case was unrequited love, the poor sweet thing, and I don't plan on putting her through all that again. As for Sonic/Fiona - you'll have to wait and see where that's going.

Shorty wrote:3. Speaking of Mina, what about Ash? Do you have any plans on making Ash have more of a place in the comics? Y'know, more contributing to stories? It seems that outside being Mina's manager (and her career has yet to really contribute but so much to the comics as it stands) he really doesn't do much else.

No huge plans for Ash, but I'd like to mellow him out a little. But where there is Mina, there is Ash - such is the fate of a supporting character to a supporting character.

Shorty wrote:4. What about King Acorn? Is he going to get out of that coma anytime soon? Or is his status the status quo right now, much like how queen Alica's was in the past?

Wait and see!

Shorty wrote:5. This question reffers to Hope Kintobor. Do you have any plans for her to contribute anything to the stories? Or is she that type of character who gets development usually when Shadow arrives in the stories? Speaking of him....would you consider Hope...er, well... Shadow's love interest, or just a friend?

More questions-within-question. Tricksy hobbitses . . .

Hope will appear from time to time, but you won't be seeing her too much. When she does appear, I'd like to try to do it without Shadow - the "She looks like Maria!" angle can only be played upon so much.

The Shadow/Hope relationship is currently an odd one. To Shadow, Hope is something of a shallow second chance to protect Maria. She isn't Maria, so he will always be haunted with that (preceived) failure, but that doesn't stop his internal drive to rectify the past. Hope, on the other hand, is rather afraid of Shadow - despite her otherwise open mind.

Absolutely no "love interest" aspect.

Shorty wrote:6. Will Tails' parents ever get touched on again?

A-yup.

Shorty wrote:7. What plans do you have for the Brain Trust? If its to remain, what about Tails?

I view the Brain Trust as a kind of think-tank club rather than an off-shoot "faction" of the Freedom Fighters. They'll be there to provide our deus ex machina for the day, but the members won't be denied active field duty. Their ranks will eventually thin, too, but I'm getting ahead of myself . . .

As for Tails, there are so many dynamics rolling around him right now, it really is tricky keeping them all together and clear. You'll have to wait and see how they're all resolved.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicxfactor » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:44 pm

Ian just have some more questions for you.

1: We all know that Evil Antoine poisoned Sally’s dad and put him in a coma but what about the real Antoine’s dad? Did Evil Antoine try to poison him as well or is he suffering from an illness that has nothing to do with Evil Antoine?

2: A lot of people want to see more Knuckles and Chaotix stories, do you have any stories planned for Knuckles and his crew and will they be going back to Angel Island any time soon?

3: What’s happened to Ray The Squirrel? Last I saw him was in the “Return To Angel Island” story, I thought he was part of the Chaotix, where is he these days?

4: I know its to early but how will Bean and Bark eventually fit into the Archie Sonicverse? Will they be new bad guys who then turn to the forces of good, be neutral characters in-between the battle of good and evil like Shadow is or become new members of the freedom fighters?

5: How does Fiona know Bean and Bark? What is their connection? This is a rough guess but did they break her out of Robotniks prison after Sonic freed Mighty and Ray and ran off leaving her behind? Will we find this out in #160-161 or a later issue?

6: Will characters such as Tikal, Chaos and Big the Cat from Sonic Adventure ever appear in the comic again? I ask this because since this is such an old game that has been and gone doesn’t mean you cant still use characters from. I think there could be a good story in their somewhere if you reused them? Although Big may not be too important but it would be nice to see him every now and again.

7: Will Nack be breaking out of prison any time soon?

8: Does Dawn Best still work for the comic?

9: Have you thought about dropping the “way past cool comic book” slogan at the top of the comic? Its sounds kinda silly.

10: Can Sonic Grams try and answer more letters from more serious people instead of kids saying the same old thing like “I’m Sonics number one fan times 1000” I remember reading letters from early issues from students in college for example saying things like why they still stick with the comic after all these years and how they like that its changed from their child hood days. And Ken replied back to them with intelligent answers and comments and not SHAMLESS PLUGS.

11: Is Sonic creator Yuji Naka a fan of the comic?

That’s all for now. Not long to go now Ian, exited?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Kureejii Lea » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:33 pm

sonicxfactor wrote: 5: How does Fiona know Bean and Bark? What is their connection? This is a rough guess but did they break her out of Robotniks prison after Sonic freed Mighty and Ray and ran off leaving her behind?

We already know how Fiona got out - she waited as long as she could, decided no one was ever going to help her, and eventually dug herself free. Besides, saying that Sonic and co "ran off leaving her behind" isn't really fair - it's how she saw the situation, but the others didn't really have a chance as Eggman made his escape and took Fiona with him to another base.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:48 pm

Y'all and your questions-within-questions, I swear . . . :roll:

H'okay, let's get it on with the answers-within-answers:

sonicxfactor wrote:1: We all know that Evil Antoine poisoned Sally’s dad and put him in a coma but what about the real Antoine’s dad? Did Evil Antoine try to poison him as well or is he suffering from an illness that has nothing to do with Evil Antoine?

E.Antoine was indeed poisoning Gen. D'Coolette. We'll deal with that turn of events eventually.

sonicxfactor wrote:2:do you have any stories planned for Knuckles and his crew and will they be going back to Angel Island any time soon?

I'll be tossing in Knuckles and the Chaotix as much as possible when I can. We will be returning to Angel Island - eventually.

sonicxfactor wrote:3: What’s happened to Ray The Squirrel? Last I saw him was in the “Return To Angel Island” story, I thought he was part of the Chaotix, where is he these days?

Ray is still with the Chaotix. He'll be showing up again during "The Darkest Storm" (S#162-164)

sonicxfactor wrote:4: I know its to early but how will Bean and Bark eventually fit into the Archie Sonicverse?

Bean and Bark beef-up our B-Rank villains. I don't have any plans at the moment to change them from that.

sonicxfactor wrote:5: How does Fiona know Bean and Bark? What is their connection?

S#160

sonicxfactor wrote:6: Will characters such as Tikal, Chaos and Big the Cat from Sonic Adventure ever appear in the comic again?

We probably won't be seeing Tikal or Chaos again for a long time, and when we do, it will be for a big story. You can't trot out the God of Destruction for any old occasion. And I'd really, really, really like to bring Big into the fold - but our cast is overflowing as it is. When I have a good reason/place to bring in Big, I will.

sonicxfactor wrote:7: Will Nack be breaking out of prison any time soon?

Maaaaaaaaaaaaybe

sonicxfactor wrote:8: Does Dawn Best still work for the comic?

You'd have to ask her. I don't think she is, but I'm not 100% sure.

sonicxfactor wrote:9: Have you thought about dropping the “way past cool comic book” slogan at the top of the comic? Its sounds kinda silly.

That'd be something to take up with the editor, Mike Pellerito. Don't like it? Email him. (sonic@archiecomics.com)

#10 is NOT A QUESTION - but that'd still be something to direct to Mike.

sonicxfactor wrote:11: Is Sonic creator Yuji Naka a fan of the comic?

You'd have to ask Naka-san.

sonicxfactor wrote:Not long to go now Ian, exited?

Yes. And terrified. We'll see if all the early good impressions hold.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:46 pm

My turn!

Will we see Sonic explaining to the girls that the Evil Sonic was impersonating him in #150, or is it safe to say that he already told all of them, including Sally, Bunnie, Fiona, Mina, Amy, etc.?

(That was another of my questions-for-continuity for my fancomic.)

:wink:

Thanks!

See you and Tracy in a couple weeks, or less!
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:17 pm

EthanEmerald wrote:Will we see Sonic explaining to the girls that the Evil Sonic was impersonating him in #150, or is it safe to say that he already told all of them, including Sally, Bunnie, Fiona, Mina, Amy, etc.?

Had the Sonic/E.Sonic issue been bigger, I might have been more inclined to dwell upon it. However, since none of the girls really seemed to linger on the day-long macking, I'm treating Sonic's realization and explanation as an off-camera moment. Sonic's lines in S#160 give us the ending resolution and give new readers enough set-up on what kind of man....hedgehog...E.Sonic/Scourge is.

Unless, of course, the readership would've prefered months of awkward silences, misbegotten accusations, and a general sense of melodramatic angst. I can always work that back into the series :twisted:
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Kureejii Lea » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:26 pm

IanPotto wrote:Unless, of course, the readership would've prefered months of awkward silences, misbegotten accusations, and a general sense of melodramatic angst. I can always work that back into the series :twisted:

Oh yes please! :roll:
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:17 pm

Thanks for the reply, Ian!

However, this brings up another question:

It seems the Sonic/Tails/Fiona problem is already settled. Sonic and Tails are acting like best friends already. Is that the end of that problem between Sonic and Tails?

(That was another question-for-continuity of my fancomic!)
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:31 pm

EthanEmerald wrote:It seems the Sonic/Tails/Fiona problem is already settled. Sonic and Tails are acting like best friends already. Is that the end of that problem between Sonic and Tails?

Things are not wholly settled between Sonic and Tails. The "I hate you!" panel was one of a heated moment. Tails was caught off-guard by what he saw. There's been time for his temper to cool and to approach things analytically. That isn't to say Tails is cool with the situation - that issue will be still be addressed later.

Additionally, I would like to think Tails is big enough as a person - despite his age - to save his "big brother" from an explosion instead of holding a grudge.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:58 pm

I would think so, too.

Thanks!
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius