Welcome one and all!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby sonicxfactor » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:21 pm

Hey Ian welcome to the comic I have to say I really enjoyed Other-M and I can’t wait for act 3 to be finished, and since Other-M was so good I know that the Archie comic is in good hands. Being a big Sonic fan ever since I was 8 years old I have always loved (not that type of love mind) Sonic and am always looking forward to the next Sonic game, indeed I still remember Christmas 1992 when I first ripped the wrapping off my brand new copy of Sonic The Hedgehog 2 for the Mega Drive, it was like I died and gone to heaven. Other then the games I watched all the cartoons (SATAM ROCKS!!!) and brought Sonic The Comic by Fleetway. Sadly I got rid of my Fleetway collection a few years back which I always regret doing so when I got Sonic Mega Collection for the PS2 and found out from the extras menu that their was another Sonic comic being made I just had to check it out. So I looked on the net and read up on the series and I made that big step and started a collection. I am still a newbie to the Sonic comic so I only really just started collecting. I currently have issues 119 onwards, 3 specials and the paperback Sonic The Hedgehog: The Beginning.

But enough about me as I have some questions I would like to ask you if you don’t mind?

1: Do you know what exactly happened to J. Axer? I heard he left but I don’t know why and do you know if he will be making a come back? His artwork rocked and I loved those front pieces he did, my favourite was the one with Mina wearing that oriental dress from issue 120.

2: I know you wont be touching the Sonic & Sally thing with a ten foot pole but do you know if anything in a upcoming issue will be feature ring these two? Not getting back together but them saying sorry to each other or talking about what happened that sort of stuff? I had to ask since I’m a SATAM fan and think that these two make a great couple. That and in issue 157 Sonic sitting alone in his room playing sad songs on his guitar shows me that he really misses the girl so it is quite a sad site when a you see a really cool guy such as Sonic heart broken, poor guy looks like he want to die after losing the girl he loves (heck I would). It just goes to show people that he has feelings other then in the games where he’s always cool, calm and under control.

3: Why did Karl Bollers leave? Did he want to try other things or did he just think the comic was going nowhere?

4: I saw on the SonicHQ website that Karl posted all of his ideas for future issues but were never used, I was just wondering if you or any other wirter will be using any of his ideas for future issues but with his permission of course? There were some good ideas there like Bunnie going back to her home down south, Sonic and Amy kissing whilst stuck on the Little Planet from Sonic CD and Tails planning to go into space to find his parents.

5: Mike confirmed that Blaze The Cat from Sonic Rush would be in a future issue do you know if it will be a game tie in or an original story with elements from the game?

6: It’s good that Bean and Bark from Sonic The Fighters will be in the comic but how will they act now that they are in the comic? Will they be all serious like in Other-M or will they be acting more like Jay & Silent Bob? One cool calm big guy and one hyper active guy whose just the life of the party.

7: I noticed over the years the comic has evolved from slapstick comedy to become more mature, will this maturity continue or grow to become more mature? When I say more mature I’m not asking that you throw in blood, extreme violence, nudity, drug & alcohol abuse or swearing but just try and make it so older people can enjoy the comic and not think its just for kids.

I’ll end it there I’ll post more questions if I think of any so I hope you have the time to answer these if you don’t that’s ok just get back to me when your ready.

Oh and I’m sorry if this post is to big, long, boring its just I’m a big talker, once I start I can’t stop.
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:56 pm

Such an inquisitive mind! I highly endorse filling up your library of back-issues. As for the questions, I shall answer them as much as I can:

sonicxfactor wrote:1: Do you know what exactly happened to J. Axer? I heard he left but I don’t know why and do you know if he will be making a come back? His artwork rocked and I loved those front pieces he did, my favourite was the one with Mina wearing that oriental dress from issue 120.

I never got to work with him, honestly, and so I don't know for sure where he is concerning Sonic. I think it was a matter of him having enough time, but that's just stuff I've heard around. I believe we have a back-up story of Axer's in inventory, and it might run sometime this year. I can't confirm or promise anything.

sonicxfactor wrote:2: I know you wont be touching the Sonic & Sally thing with a ten foot pole but do you know if anything in a upcoming issue will be feature ring these two?

Please pardon the editting. I do hope to heal things between Sonic and Sally, but it's going to be a gradual thing. Don't expect a quick "I'm sorry" thing. It's going to be organic.

sonicxfactor wrote:3: Why did Karl Bollers leave? Did he want to try other things or did he just think the comic was going nowhere?

I never got to work with Karl, either, so I haven't a clue.

sonicxfactor wrote:4: I saw on the SonicHQ website that Karl posted all of his ideas for future issues but were never used, I was just wondering if you or any other wirter will be using any of his ideas for future issues but with his permission of course?

Again, cut for size. From a legal standpoint (I believe) anything Karl submitted for Sonic belongs to the book, so technically I wouldn't have to go looking for permission. It's a moot point, however, since I have my own ideas and direction for the book. There are a handful of ideas that might somewhat overlap, but those are strictly coincidence. I have no interest in building off of someone else's proposal. As egotistical as it may sound, I prefer to rely on me - and the others currently in the developement team. (yay Tracy!)

sonicxfactor wrote:5: Mike confirmed that Blaze The Cat from Sonic Rush would be in a future issue do you know if it will be a game tie in or an original story with elements from the game?

From what I've seen, Blaze will be handled the same as anything else Sonic has incorperated from the games: a little bit of the game, and a little bit of our own thing. You'll have to wait and see ;)

sonicxfactor wrote:6: It’s good that Bean and Bark from Sonic The Fighters will be in the comic but how will they act now that they are in the comic? Will they be all serious like in Other-M or will they be acting more like Jay & Silent Bob? One cool calm big guy and one hyper active guy whose just the life of the party.

While I am reticent to acknowledge my past fan-comics (for their protection), I will say that Bean and Bark will be more like they appear in 3-B than in Other-M. Let's please leave all discussion of fan-comics now :shock:

sonicxfactor wrote:7: I noticed over the years the comic has evolved from slapstick comedy to become more mature, will this maturity continue or grow to become more mature?

*snip* I understand what you mean. I'm aiming for the book to be something I would like to read, so you can rest assured it will remain at a certain level of maturity. That being said, there will be comedy (I hope - it's a heckuvalot harder to make people laugh). There will be comics that are heavier on the drama, or on the action, etc. Some will be strict advancement of the plot, others will be for some plain, old-fashioned fun. The best way for you to know, of course, will be to read everything as it comes out ;)

Whew! That's the end of the marathon. I hope this was informative for you and everyone who comes after.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicxfactor » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:54 pm

Thanks for answering my questions Ian and don’t worry about editing my questions. I’m sorry if they were to long I’m just a big blabbermouth sometimes and I just don’t know when to shut up.

I would like to fill my collection up with back issues but I live in the UK and the Sonic Check List doesn’t deliver outside of the US L

Any chance you can make Archie do worldwide deliveries?

Or maybe with enough support you could make Archie re-release the Sonic back catalogue from issue one onwards or re-release them in trade paperback forms? Since Sonics 15th anerversy is coming up I think this would be a smart move for Archie to do, what do you think? Put my idea to Mike to see what he says.

I do have one other question though; will the Black Arm’s aliens from the Shadow The Hedgehog game be in a future issue? Though I have mixed reactions about the game itself (not bad but not great) I think having the Black Arm’s in a future story would be really interesting if handeldy with proper care and attention. What do you think?

One more thing can you tell SPAZ to put more effort in Sonic covers in the future, I’ve seen his earlier work and they are really good (out of my small collection my faves are issue 126 and issue 130) but I think they’ve been slumping in quality. I know he’s busy with the Sonic X covers (which are awesome by the way) but can you maybe give some more encouragement to put more “WOW” into them.

But I ask if you get a guest artist to do the covers don’t get Sanford to do them, he’s a good artist but he drew Sonic all wrong and on issue 156’s cover Sally looked like she was drunk or something.

Anyway thanks again for answering my questions and I wish you all the best at your new job at Archie.

See you soon.
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Rlan » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:31 pm

If you know of an actual comic book store, they should be able to get back issues for you. My comic store gets in a efw of the 28 page specials which they've run out of occasionally. You'd have to buy them in bundle probably, like the checklist now does.

Also, a while ago someone mentioned how some Aussies get their comic on time, while others get their comic 3 months later. Oddly, all Newsagents get their Sonic comics via another distributor, and release the comic the month it used to mention on the comic front, so about 3 months later. Comic book stores, which generally buy from America, will get the "Direct Edition", about a week after it's released in America.
Rlan
BumbleFan

Postby Kamal » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:34 pm

sonicxfactor wrote:I do have one other question though; will the Black Arm’s aliens from the Shadow The Hedgehog game be in a future issue? Though I have mixed reactions about the game itself (not bad but not great) I think having the Black Arm’s in a future story would be really interesting if handeldy with proper care and attention. What do you think?

I don't know your opinion of S124-125, but I've always felt aliens had no place in the comic continuity, simply because aliens tend to gum up the plot. The hero can get themselves into all manners of peril, but wait, a heretofore unheard piece of alien technology shall save them.

Or if the alien is the enemy, it becomes too easy to hate them and too easy to like the hero and the potential for drama is lost. Besides, which battle would you rather see: Sonic or Shadow versus a bunch of aliens or Sonic and Shadow versus each other?

Leave the aliens to Star Trek or Farscape, Sonic was meant to be more fantasy fiction than science fiction.
Kamal
BumbleFan

Postby Torn » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:36 pm

When all else fails, throw in some aliens!
Torn
BumbleNewbie

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:50 am

General answers to some of sonicxfactor's questions/suggestions/requests: I am the writer, not the editor or artist or anything else. My suggestions are welcome and easily taken in, but outside of the plot direction and the events within my scripts, I have no command over Sonic. All concerns with how the book are handled ought to be addressed to Archie/Mike Pellerito. (sonic@archiecomics.com)

sonicxfactor wrote:I do have one other question though; will the Black Arm’s aliens from the Shadow The Hedgehog game be in a future issue? Though I have mixed reactions about the game itself (not bad but not great) I think having the Black Arm’s in a future story would be really interesting if handeldy with proper care and attention. What do you think?

Kamal wrote:I don't know your opinion of S124-125, but I've always felt aliens had no place in the comic continuity, simply because aliens tend to gum up the plot. The hero can get themselves into all manners of peril, but wait, a heretofore unheard piece of alien technology shall save them.

I agree with the sentiment of "Why do we need aliens?" At the same time, there are a number of subplots that include the aliens introduced in the "Tossed in Space" arc, as well as the Black Arms, that need to be addressed.

Without giving too much away: Yes, the Black Arms and other alien-related subplots will be addressed. No, probably not this year. No, they won't really be the forefront stories, nor will it be a "Tossed in Space 2" type deal.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Dirk Amoeba » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:29 pm

Ian, a question:

Will we be seeing Zonic again? A while ago, Justin promised that the book would be addressing the questions of why he has allowed Robotnik Mk II to reside on Mobius Prime. I have my own pet theory on that subject but I'd like to know if the book will address it. What about Evil Antoine and Scourge?
Dirk Amoeba
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:10 pm

There aren't any immediate plans to address why Zonic's apparently been asleep at the switch. I do want to answer those question, it'll just be a matter of time.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicxfactor » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:44 pm

Hey Ian Just out of curiosity and just a conversation starter what video games not including any Sonic games are you currently playing at the moment (sorry for being nosie)?

I’m playing a mixed bag at the moment between Nintendogs, Resident Evil 4, Gunstar Future Heroes, Quake 4, King Kong, Mario Kart DS, Metal Gear Solid 3 and SSX 3 on my Gizmondo handheld.

What are you playing at the mo?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:12 pm

sonicxfactor wrote:Hey Ian Just out of curiosity and just a conversation starter what video games not including any Sonic games are you currently playing at the moment (sorry for being nosie)?

Well, since this is kind of a "Get to Know the Author" thread (...sorta...?) I don't think the question's out of place.

I'm not playing anything too seriously at the momemt. Work on all fronts is keeping me pretty busy. I recently got as far as I plan to in Mario Kart DS. I beat the Mirror Cup, but I'm not putting myself through the rigors of unlocking World 7 in Mission Mode. A star-rank in World 1-6? INSANITY!

I'm also going through Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones on Normal Mode when I have time to spare. I went through on Easy and Hard already and figured I'd use that last save slot for something.

I'd like to evntually get around to acquiring/playing Kirby's Canvas Curse and Mario & Luigi 2. And there's a storm-front of gaming coming with Sonic Riders, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and the new Kirby game coming to the Gamecube. My wallet whimpers at the thought.

And once I've upgraded my computer/can afford to splurge, I'll get back into World of Warcraft. At the moment, I'm more than a little laggy with all the pretties turned off, and Ironforge....breaks my computer. Mercilessly. So - eventually.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicxfactor » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:29 pm

Cool I'm currently playing Mario Kart DS both at work on my lunch breaks and at home online. If you ever want a MKDS race let me know I'll be happy to send a Red Shell with your name on it your way some time. :twisted:
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:12 pm

sonicxfactor wrote:If you ever want a MKDS race let me know I'll be happy to send a Red Shell with your name on it your way some time. Twisted Evil

HAHA! I'd love to race everyone, but I have no wireless connection, and the USB-hub Nintendo offers runs only on WinXP. I run on Win2000. So it'll be while before I can join in on the WiFi fun.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicxfactor » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:16 pm

Ian questions, on the Sonic HQ website a while back Mike answered questions from fans what will happen in the comic, one of the questions was will Tails ever be reunited with his parents? Is this something you plan to work on in the future?

Also I remember that ex writer Karl had a story idea for Bunnie to go back home and see her parents. As far as I know I don’t think they have ever been mentioned the comic. I also seem to remember that Bunnie Rabbot isn’t her real name but something else but I can’t remember what it was though. Is this something you’ll be looking into in the future?

Does Antoine have a mother? Is she dead is she alive will we ever find out? I think that this is the first time this type of question has been asked on the subject, so again is this something you’ll be looking into?

Thanks again Ian, roll on 160 and god bless.
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:02 pm

sonicxfactor, answers:

sonicxfactor wrote:on the Sonic HQ website a while back Mike answered questions from fans what will happen in the comic, one of the questions was will Tails ever be reunited with his parents? Is this something you plan to work on in the future?

Yes.

sonicxfactor wrote:Also I remember that ex writer Karl had a story idea for Bunnie to go back home and see her parents. As far as I know I don’t think they have ever been mentioned the comic. I also seem to remember that Bunnie Rabbot isn’t her real name but something else but I can’t remember what it was though. Is this something you’ll be looking into in the future?

I don't have any immdiate plans, no. Down the road? Perhaps.

sonicxfactor wrote:Does Antoine have a mother? Is she dead is she alive will we ever find out? I think that this is the first time this type of question has been asked on the subject, so again is this something you’ll be looking into?

I'm 99.9% sure there is an issue where we see a young Antoine and his mother grieving over the news of General D'Coolette's (apparent) death, but for the life of me I don't know which issue that was.

As of this posting, Mrs. D'Coolette is dead in my mind - one of the casualties of Dr. Robotnik's original 10-year reign. If a story should arise that would benefit from acknowledging her life (or lack thereof) then we'll nail it down.

Right now, life it going to get so fast-paced for our heroes that they won't have much time to concentrate on anything but the "now."
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius