Welcome one and all!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Sonic922 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:27 pm

I'm suprised nobody asked this before(unless I missed it)

Will we ever see the original Robotnik again?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:46 pm

EthanEmerald wrote:It still seems as if Bean is related to the Battlebird Armada, somehow.

Keep in mind, I only said Bean wasn't BattleKuku's son. I never said anything else ;)

sonicforever wrote:Anyway I was wondering who were your top 5 characters in the Sonic universe and why you liked them?

Also will you put any more lines in future comics that poke fun at the Mario series such as the "shine get" reference in 160? It kinda be nice to develop the rivalry again.

Holy moley...to rank my loves? That is a tall, tall order. Especially since you can get nit-picky about "which" universe I'd be picking from. In no particular order (and acknowledging I love just about every character from A to Zonic), the list could be . . .

Bean the Dynamite Duck
    Knuckles the Echidna
    Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Miles "Tails" Prower

I'm not wholly satisfied with that list, but you're asking something impossible from me XD The Chaotix and Freedom Fighters are on numbers six and up.

As for the in-jokes, yes, I'll be plugging them in where/when I can from anything and everywhere. Bean put out references to Mario, Gone with the Wind and pre-Sonic 1 game trivia. So when there's Bean, expect something off-kilter (and possibly 4th wall shattering) to come up.

Sonic922 wrote:Will we ever see the original Robotnik again?

The answer we're working under for the foreseeable future is: no, the original Robotnik is gone in the purest sense of the word. One could argue, however, that the current Robotnik's past was quite possibly near-identical to Robotnik Prime's. Therefore, it's possible to conceive the current madman as just a different shade of the same old villain.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicforever » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:12 pm

What about your 5 most hated characters? If there are that many.
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:47 pm

Now that one is a bit of a loaded question. Any list I get will become speculation for character demise and/or put me under fire from the fans the character(s) have.

There are characters I'm not as fond of within the list, but I challenge myself to find something to do with all of them. And not make it sadistic.

.....which is a long way of say "I'm not going to answer that one" XD
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby nuckles87 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:05 pm

I wonder...

Are you ever going to talk about Robotnik's time in his own world? Before he came to Mobius Prime and revealed himself in issue 75? It seems as if the past writers have been trying to work in Robo Robotnik as the one and only Buttnik ever to be on Mobius.

Also, if you where able to make a comic out of any other Sega series (excluding Sonic, before you try and take the easy way out. :twisted:) , what would it be? And none Sega?
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:18 am

nuckles87 wrote:Are you ever going to talk about Robotnik's time in his own world? Before he came to Mobius Prime and revealed himself in issue 75? It seems as if the past writers have been trying to work in Robo Robotnik as the one and only Buttnik ever to be on Mobius.

There aren't any plans to return to Robotnik Mach II's future-home. (home-future?). This primarily because - to a new reader - the whole thing is one big confusing jumble. Maybe we can tell that story one day, but for now, we'll be concentrating on Eggman's threat in the current-day.

nuckles87 wrote:Also, if you where able to make a comic out of any other Sega series (excluding Sonic, before you try and take the easy way out. :twisted:) , what would it be? And none Sega?

Ristar out of Sega, without hesitation.

Non-Sega, the answer is "The Nintendo Mascots." I could very happily recount the epic travels of Mario and Luigi, but I would be just as happy giving my own spin on Link in the newest vision of Hyrule. At the same time, I'd leap at the chance to tell a (proper) Kirby story - but I'd be just as easily convinced to breathe life into the Lylat System with a StarFox story. The only one I hesitate on is Samus, and only because I don't know as much about her world as the others. With the proper education, I'd just as happily go metroid hunting.

And then, out of left-field (and again, after some research) I'd love to do some Rayman stories or even investigate the Seven Lost Years in the Prince of Persia series.

Perhaps Sonic will open the doors to one of these. We shall see :D [/url]
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Kamal » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:54 pm

IanPotto wrote:...for now, we'll be concentrating on Eggman's threat in the current-day.

Eggman a threat! Ha ha! That's rich! I've never...hee hee hee...heh...heh...ahem. Oh, you were being serious.

Seriously though, is Robotnik finally going to be a threat like he used to be? 'Cause right now, he seems like a one-trick-pony that's forgot its trick. Or haswill Darkest Storm already answer(ed) this question?
Kamal
BumbleFan

Postby sonicxfactor » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:08 pm

IanPotto wrote:
nuckles87 wrote:Are you ever going to talk about Robotnik's time in his own world? Before he came to Mobius Prime and revealed himself in issue 75? It seems as if the past writers have been trying to work in Robo Robotnik as the one and only Buttnik ever to be on Mobius.

There aren't any plans to return to Robotnik Mach II's future-home. (home-future?). This primarily because - to a new reader - the whole thing is one big confusing jumble. Maybe we can tell that story one day, but for now, we'll be concentrating on Eggman's threat in the current-day.

nuckles87 wrote:Also, if you where able to make a comic out of any other Sega series (excluding Sonic, before you try and take the easy way out. :twisted:) , what would it be? And none Sega?

Ristar out of Sega, without hesitation.

Non-Sega, the answer is "The Nintendo Mascots." I could very happily recount the epic travels of Mario and Luigi, but I would be just as happy giving my own spin on Link in the newest vision of Hyrule. At the same time, I'd leap at the chance to tell a (proper) Kirby story - but I'd be just as easily convinced to breathe life into the Lylat System with a StarFox story. The only one I hesitate on is Samus, and only because I don't know as much about her world as the others. With the proper education, I'd just as happily go metroid hunting.

And then, out of left-field (and again, after some research) I'd love to do some Rayman stories or even investigate the Seven Lost Years in the Prince of Persia series.

Perhaps Sonic will open the doors to one of these. We shall see :D [/url]

Ian I salute you. Ristar is one of my favourite games ever. I still play it on the odd occasion (in between bouts of Quake 4, Psychonauts, King Kong, Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Project Zero 3, Taito Legends 1 & 2, Sonic Riders and the soon to be brought Guitar Hero. I really need to get out more).

I hate Sega for not doing a sequel to this classic, and if you did a comic that would be awesome. Still its not likely to happen but if you could get Tracy to put a little cameo of him in the background somewhere would be nice, and maybe some other Sega characters (Nights, Billy Hatcher, Clockwork Night etc).
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Adamis » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:47 pm

Ah Ian, I've just read #160...what a pleasure it was! I loved the references, the way things have been written...well, everything :)

Ok, you had the favorite/hated characters questions, but...which Freedom Fighters is your favorite?
Adamis
BumbleNoble

Postby nuckles87 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:20 pm

Ristar, eh? You know, one great thing about Sonic the Comic, was that it had back up stories based in other Sega franchises. Considering Archie has this whole multiverse thing going, it could be something for them to consider. ;)
They could have a back up story based on another Sega character, and one day cross it over into the main Sonic comic.

Anyway, more questions!

This one sorta stems out of my last Robotnik Mach 2 question. Are you treating him as Mach 2? Or are you going to treat him as the guy who was always there? Personally, I'd like to see the old Robotnik remembered in someway, rather then this guy just picking up his legacy like issue 50 never happened.

Also, will we ever have a new bad guy fill in the "serious dictorial bad guy" slot Julian has seemingly left vacant sent his death (and Eggman getting more or less ousted from power on most of the planet). Sure, Eggman's evil, but he's not really serious. Will we ever see a guy using the Combots and Swat Bots of old? Or something to that effect?

I'm not sure if this question is loaded or not, as I'm asking on behalf of someone on another forum who's been asking questions like this.
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:41 pm

Adamis wrote:Ok, you had the favorite/hated characters questions, but...which Freedom Fighters is your favorite?

Just to clarify - which Freedom Fighter team do I like best?

nuckles87 wrote:This one sorta stems out of my last Robotnik Mach 2 question. Are you treating him as Mach 2? Or are you going to treat him as the guy who was always there? Personally, I'd like to see the old Robotnik remembered in someway, rather then this guy just picking up his legacy like issue 50 never happened.

Also, will we ever have a new bad guy fill in the "serious dictorial bad guy" slot Julian has seemingly left vacant sent his death (and Eggman getting more or less ousted from power on most of the planet). Sure, Eggman's evil, but he's not really serious. Will we ever see a guy using the Combots and Swat Bots of old? Or something to that effect?

I hope that I've made it clear in previous posts that I have no intention of ignoring the past continuity. (unless it's a minor hiccup in continuity that would take too much effort to fix - those we just kinda ignore). But at the same time, we have to take into account that Classic Robotnik has been out of the picture for about nine years. It's one thing to remember the legacy; it's another to obsess over a dead character.

Dr. Eggman is Classic Robotnik's successor in all ways and thus he's getting the full attention. Yes, he's acting more aloof than the constantly-grim Classic, but I like that. He's almost child-like in his zeal, only his "trantrums" can level cities and reshape continents. Give me some time to show you "my" Eggman. I think you'll enjoy the balance of silly and sinister.

This all answers your second question: no, Eggman is the big cheese, and you'll see why soon enough. The new endless legion at his command will primarily be the Egg Pawns (Flappers, Hammers), but as the "Sonic Rush" story showed us, he isn't opposed to using what leftovers he has.

Adamis wrote:I'm not sure if this question is loaded or not, as I'm asking on behalf of someone on another forum who's been asking questions like this.

As previously said in this thread, don't do that. If that person wants to broach the subject, they are free to register here.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Dirk Amoeba » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:51 pm

IanPotto wrote:One could argue, however, that the current Robotnik's past was quite possibly near-identical to Robotnik Prime's. Therefore, it's possible to conceive the current madman as just a different shade of the same old villain.

It seems to me that you're retconning Robotnik Mk II's past. And While I suppose you have the authority to do that, I can't say I'm happy if that's the route you take.

The way the multiverse has always seemd to work is that there are parallel zones, each of which is split into pissuble divergent timelines. Robotnik Mk II is from the Borg Zone, which is a parallel zone, not a divergent future of the Mobius Prime.
Dirk Amoeba
BumbleFan

Postby Sonic922 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:53 pm

It's wier that in issue 19, he was more evil than Robotnik, but know he's not very serious and even kind of a comic relief.
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Dirk Amoeba » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:59 pm

Sonic922 wrote:It's wier that in issue 19, he was more evil than Robotnik, but know he's not very serious and even kind of a comic relief.

It's not so odd. Remember, his mind has been through a lot of strain: roboticized, infected with a computer virus, shuffled from body to body, derobotized, and who knows what else has happened that we don't even know about.
Dirk Amoeba
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:59 pm

Dirk Amoeba wrote:It seems to me that you're retconning Robotnik Mk II's past. And While I suppose you have the authority to do that, I can't say I'm happy if that's the route you take.

The way the multiverse has always seemd to work is that there are parallel zones, each of which is split into pissuble divergent timelines. Robotnik Mk II is from the Borg Zone, which is a parallel zone, not a divergent future of the Mobius Prime.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but RoboRobotnik and the Terminator-Sonic hailed from the same Zone, correct?

This is where continuity trips over itself. S#75 links the RoboRobotnik of the Giatn Borg (S#19) to the head-on-a-screen (S#22). The S#22-version was obviously in a M25YL-like world. Additionally, the future shown to Sally in SSS#11 shows a M25YL-like world under assault with King Sonic quite possibly destroyed. I took this to be the future where RoboRobotnik conquered. This is why I presume Eggman/Robotnik Mach II/RoboRobotnik had a very Prime-like past. The whole thing works better if Terminator-Sonic isn't from RoboRobotnik's (or "ours'" at least) Zone.

Thus, this is the time-line I'm perceiving for the disputed villain:

The Past - Events unfold similarly to the Primeverse, but not necessarily exactly.
    Alternate EndGame - Robotnik roboticizes himself to combat Sonic.
    N1KS - RoboRobotnik and his Giant Borg are defeated, his conciousness retreating to an incomplete satellite.
    S#22 - RoboRobotnik rescues/returns Robotnik to his own world. This Mobius is roughly in its M20YL phase.
    SSS#11 - RoboRobotnik finds a piece of the Giant Borg in his time/Zone and eliminates King Sonic. He then begins fiddling with other Zones, such as...
    SSS#10 - RoboRobotnik tries to reassemble the Giant Borg with Evil Sonic's help, but the whole plan goes down the tubes. No more Giant Borg.
    Satellites Assemble - As Sonic and Tails defeat Naugus and Snively's short-lived rise to power is stopped, RoboRobotnik assembles his satellite space-station.
    S#75 RoboRobotnik is revealed, destroyed, and he hops into the Eggman shell.

Which brings us to now.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius