Welcome one and all!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby nuckles87 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:54 am

Sure! I've offered ideas, been asked, and Spaz has access to the scripts. Aside from being linked to the main story, however, the covered must also be marketable and command one's attention among the other titles on the stand. I think Spaz has done an excellent job balancing out the business side of design with the artistic side.

Indeed. And those Darkest Storm covers are the best covers I've seen from him in YEARS. They're beautiful. His 160 cover was quite befitting the arrival of the new team to ;).

Next question...what is your favorite Sonic game?

And is this place reserved for comic questions only?
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:17 am

nuckles87 wrote:Next question...what is your favorite Sonic game?

And is this place reserved for comic questions only?

That's first one's a toughie. Let's break it down a bit so I can hem and haw on the matter:

Favorite Genesis game: S3&K (yes, combined)
Favorite Geam Gear game: Tails' Adventure
Favorite Next-Gen 2-D game: Knuckles' Chaotix
Favorite 3-D game: toss-up between SADX and SA2B. I can't choose.

As for the function of this thread: that depends. It's pretty much turned into a Q&A thread. What else do you want to do in it?
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Sonic922 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:04 pm

I hope im not spoiling anything, but i read from an usually reliable soure that you and Tracy are working on a Scourge Mini series, however it was released the day after april fools. Care to comment?

http://www.sonichq.org/newsite/news/
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:16 pm

April Fools :(hearty laughter):
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Faded-Myth » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:29 pm

Oh for sure. And I have to say it, the new look for the covers is the biggest breath of fresh air since, well, since two new guys joined the writing and art team. (Perhaps you've heard of them? I hear that Ian guy's a real jerk. ;)) Covers that join up isn't new to Sonic, but the overall layout and design of the triptych effect for issues 160-3 is so breathtakingly pretty and dynamic and colourfull. It really seems to capture the mood for change. It makes me wanna rip the cover open and devour the story. But then I'd suffer from acute indigestion...and I don't fancy visiting Doc Robotnik for a check up... no siree.

If Sally was a doctor, then for sure. But Robotnik? No.

What the heck am I saying?
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby sonicxfactor » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:38 pm

Hey Ian just wanted to know if you heard the rumours about Sonic creator Yuji Naka leaving Sega/Sonicteam and what your thoughts on this is?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Adamis » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:58 pm

Hi again, Ian. More questions from the belgian fan :P

1) Do you have any plans about Ari? (the ram, from SatAM) I don't know if he was in Archie, besides his "appearance" in #113...

2) Will you use BattleCock and his army in the comics?

3) Will the events post-Dark Storm be affected by it? A lot?

4) What about Eggman Nega? Will he show up?

5) Last year I've heard about a story telling Bunnie would visit her home village. (she was supposed to meet Cream too) Do you know about this?

6) And is Cream finally a "no-no" for Sonic the Hedgehog? Do you know why Sega don't want her outside Sonic X?
Adamis
BumbleNoble

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:10 pm

sonicxfactor wrote:Hey Ian just wanted to know if you heard the rumours about Sonic creator Yuji Naka leaving Sega/Sonicteam and what your thoughts on this is?

Yup, I heard. From what I understand, this isn't the first time Naka-san has threatened to move on. I'd be interested to see what he'd do "on his own" and to see how the Sonic franchise changed from there. Whether he goes or stays, it'll be neat to see what happens.

Adamis wrote:Hi again, Ian. More questions from the belgian fan :razz:

WHOA! You're Belgian? Like, when you read this, you'll be in Belgium? I didn't know the comic was being bought up that wide-spread. AWESOME!

...right, questions!

Adamis wrote:1) Do you have any plans about Ari? (the ram, from SatAM) I don't know if he was in Archie, besides his "appearance" in #113...

No Ari since:

1) S#113 (I'm pretty sure) is outside of the canon for the comicverse.
2) We're over-saturated with characters as-is
3) Ari was basically Geoffrey St. John (in the latter's early days). I think we've seen where he could go already.

Adamis wrote:2) Will you use BattleCock and his army in the comics?

I'd love to use the Battle Bird Armada. Time will tell if we get to incorperate them.

Adamis wrote:3) Will the events post-Dark Storm be affected by it? A lot?

What TDS doesn't do out-right will set off the domino reaction that'll take us through to S#175. (more or less)

Adamis wrote:4) What about Eggman Nega? Will he show up?

No immediate plans, but I'd like to see it, personally.

Adamis wrote:5) Last year I've heard about a story telling Bunnie would visit her home village. (she was supposed to meet Cream too) Do you know about this?

That was an early plan of Karl Bollars, and I know about as much as you do about it. There won't be anything like that in the near future.

Adamis wrote:6) And is Cream finally a "no-no" for Sonic the Hedgehog? Do you know why Sega don't want her outside Sonic X?

Cream (and thus Vanilla, Cheese and Chocola) are all still Sonic X-exclusive. (X-clusive? Ha!) The reasoning I've heard is to help differentiate between the two titles. I'm cool with it since both Joe and I have huge casts to play with. Everybody's happy!
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Sonic922 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:24 pm

Have you read this:

http://www.sonichq.org/newsite/comics/k ... erview.php

Are you allowed to use his Ideas, or is it like taking a fan fiction?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Adamis » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:13 am

IanPotto wrote:
Adamis wrote:Hi again, Ian. More questions from the belgian fan :razz:

WHOA! You're Belgian? Like, when you read this, you'll be in Belgium? I didn't know the comic was being bought up that wide-spread. AWESOME!

hehe, yes, I'm living in Belgium :P
But sadly we don't recieve the comics here. I get them thanks to a friend from France who import them and send them to me ;) (I haven't read #160 yet, but I can't wait for it ^^ )

Adamis wrote:1) Do you have any plans about Ari? (the ram, from SatAM) I don't know if he was in Archie, besides his "appearance" in #113...

No Ari since:

1) S#113 (I'm pretty sure) is outside of the canon for the comicverse.
2) We're over-saturated with characters as-is
3) Ari was basically Geoffrey St. John (in the latter's early days). I think we've seen where he could go already.

Oh, I see. So, I think some parts of Satam stories haven't happened in the comic (like the Doomsday Project)...

Adamis wrote:6) And is Cream finally a "no-no" for Sonic the Hedgehog? Do you know why Sega don't want her outside Sonic X?

Cream (and thus Vanilla, Cheese and Chocola) are all still Sonic X-exclusive. (X-clusive? Ha!) The reasoning I've heard is to help differentiate between the two titles. I'm cool with it since both Joe and I have huge casts to play with. Everybody's happy!

Sure, we already have a great rabbOt in the comic ;p

Oh, I thought about this this morning:

-Have you read the fan-made Sonic the Comic Online? Any thought about it? ^^

-How do you feel being part of the Sonic "business"? I mean, you were a fan like us some time ago, and now you work on it. I know I'd be very proud if I could work on something Sonic related (an official Sonic related product, I draw for StC-O but it doesn't count ;p )
Adamis
BumbleNoble

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:15 am

Sonic922 wrote:Have you read this?

(link to Karl Bollar's "One Year Later" plans)

Are you allowed to use his Ideas, or is it like taking a fan fiction?

I've glanced through it once or twice, yes, but I've mostly avoided it. Because Karl submitted it to Archie, I'm fairly certain that makes it ours and any concepts would be ours to use. I don't plan on using any of his material, however, so any correlations would be incidental.

The sole exception is Crocobot, but that's a odd case that I'll be more in-depth on after S#161 comes out. (Remind me!)

Adamis wrote:
IanPotto wrote:WHOA! You're Belgian? Like, when you read this, you'll be in Belgium? I didn't know the comic was being bought up that wide-spread. AWESOME!

hehe, yes, I'm living in Belgium
But sadly we don't recieve the comics here. I get them thanks to a friend from France who import them and send them to me (I haven't read #160 yet, but I can't wait for it ^^ )

So it's an international affair! Even cooler!

Adamis wrote:-Have you read the fan-made Sonic the Comic Online? Any thought about it? ^^

A little bit; enough to say it feels like the old StC. I'm not a big fan of StC, but I am very proud of the dedication and the effort put into by the StCO team. I can definitely appreciate their efforts.

Adamis wrote:-How do you feel being part of the Sonic "business"? I mean, you were a fan like us some time ago, and now you work on it. I know I'd be very proud if I could work on something Sonic related (an official Sonic related product, I draw for StC-O but it doesn't count ;p )

Now, now. Just because I work for the comic now doesn't mean I'm no longer a fanboy ;) It just means I get paid to geek out. (Ha-ha!)

Working on Sonic has been a great pleasure for me. I've enjoyed everyone I've had the chance to work with and I've learned a great deal about the process of telling a good story. I look back on past comic efforts of mine and just shake my head - the lessons learned seem so obvious now.

Yes, I am proud. And I am honored. And I'm having a blast =D
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:16 am

IanPotto wrote:
Adamis wrote:2) Will you use BattleCock and his army in the comics?

I'd love to use the Battle Bird Armada. Time will tell if we get to incorperate them.

Yes!

Isn't Bean the Dynamite Duck supposed to be son of the Grand BattleKukku the 15th? I believe so. They are both green ducks that share the "bomb-throwing" aspects!
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:39 am

EthanEmerald wrote:Isn't Bean the Dynamite Duck supposed to be son of the Grand BattleKukku the 15th? I believe so. They are both green ducks that share the "bomb-throwing" aspects!

No, Bean is the son of Bin or Pin from "Dynamite Dux." The Grand BattleKuku is either just that (a cuckoo) or a rooster based off the alternate naming, Grand BattleCock. IF we should ever use the Armada, we'll probably go with BattleKuku =P

His son is Speedy (technically BattleKuku the 16th), the high-speed mini-boss you face through-out Tails' Adventure
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:44 pm

IanPotto wrote:His son is Speedy (technically BattleKuku the 16th), the high-speed mini-boss you face through-out Tails' Adventure

Ah, yes; I remember that fun one.

It still seems as if Bean is related to the Battlebird Armada, somehow. Hmm. Thanks for the clarification!

Ethan
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby sonicforever » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:36 pm

All I can say is I am glad Bollers left and none of that stuff actually happened.

Anyway I was wondering who were your top 5 characters in the Sonic universe and why you liked them?

Also will you put any more lines in future comics that poke fun at the Mario series such as the "shine get" reference in 160? It kinda be nice to develop the rivalry again.
sonicforever
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius