Welcome one and all!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Sonic922 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:44 pm

1:About how old is Uncle Chuck. H e should be somewhere around Jules' age(30-40) but some people tink he's paired with Rosie, who should be much older. He also looks old with the white hair and Mustache and sounds that way from his original voices.

2:Who's voice do you have in mind when you write the characters, was it the old voices from the games(Ryan Drummond, Scott Drier, etc.), the Sonic X/new game voices( Jason Grifith, Dan Green, etc.) the original cartoons like Jaeel white, or just by the way the character would sound by the way the comic was going?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:56 am

Sonic922 wrote:1:About how old is Uncle Chuck. H e should be somewhere around Jules' age(30-40) but some people tink he's paired with Rosie, who should be much older. He also looks old with the white hair and Mustache and sounds that way from his original voices.

Chuck is Jules's older brother, so the grey through his mustache and eyebrows is earned, if a little early. Rosie might be a little older, but she's also been the sole nanny to the Knothole orphans for years. That kind of responsibility has to wear you ragged, so she may look older than she really is.

Sonic922 wrote:2:Who's voice do you have in mind when you write the characters, was it the old voices from the games(Ryan Drummond, Scott Drier, etc.), the Sonic X/new game voices( Jason Grifith, Dan Green, etc.) the original cartoons like Jaeel white, or just by the way the character would sound by the way the comic was going?

I do believe this is my favorite question thus far! You have given me pause and made me re-examine my writing process. You have made me investigate myself - and for a little while - you had me stumped :(hearty laughter):

I think the voices I hear are a mixture of all the other media. I hear my own voice alot since I do character voices from time to time. My voice is then flavored with these mixtures of the other voices (past and current) which eventually - and hopefully - makes for some nice dialogue. I'll have to pay more attention to myself as I write next time to be really sure. I'm curious to see for myself!
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Faded-Myth » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:35 pm

Hey Ian, I was wonderin'. As a writer, I'm sure you've ALWAYS got ideas swimming around in your head, wether you intend to use them or not. Some brought up from the past, some you make up as you go along... I was wondering, do you feel your best ideas come from spur-of-the-moment flashes of literary brilliance, or those long sessions of sitting over your desk in front of your PC at 3am with coffee in hand, gruellingly pondering over every letter?
Everything you write for a professional publication like Sonic comics has to fit into an existing continuity, and it needs to be solid enough to remain viable for the future... That is to say, people can look back on past issues and see a flawless plotline that fits into future storylines... So I can't even begin to imagine how hard it must be to be constantly coming up with original story ideas and yet keeping them all laced together so neatly, while always thinking of future issues... It's hard enough writing one specific novel or book of some sort, so it must be a pretty difficult task to write for something like a comic book that has 15 years of history. Of course, I also assume the satisfaction you get from achieving such goals is immense... The hard work is really worth the effort. So yeah, I wasjust wonderin what sort of processes you go through when working on Sonic. Are you like me, and sing the plotline in the shower, making it up as you go along? Or do you pace up and down for hours flailing you limbs and stroking you beard in deep ponderment? Or both? XD

Well, guess that's all for now =) Take care!
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby sonicforever » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:10 am

Heh I love your response Ian. You never actually say who is your favorite voice actor or I guess to better phrase it, who did the best job of sounding like Sonic.

So how many comics do you guys get done in advance. Like we are just now getting 160. Do you have everything all planned out for the next 6 or 7 issues?
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby Sonic922 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:44 am

Is there a place on the forum to submit ideas or suggestions for future stories? Or should we save those for Sonic Grams?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:49 pm

Sorry I was slow with replies this weekend, folks. I've been (currently am) sick. But you shall not go unanswered!

Faded-Myth wrote:I was wondering, do you feel your best ideas come from spur-of-the-moment flashes of literary brilliance, or those long sessions of sitting over your desk in front of your PC at 3am with coffee in hand, gruellingly pondering over every letter?

It's a little of both, really. There are elements in Sonic that I've had in my head as a fan for years - Sonic/Shadow's interaction, a lot of events in TDS, and the main elements of a story coming up in S#168-169. The epiphanies comes for dialogue, and those are either as I'm writing or as I'm doing something else entirely and realize I must remember this one line of dialogue and use it again later. A great deal of Bean's dialogue in S#160 was made up on the spot.

Mr. Pellerito taught me a phenominal way of doing stories - a "breakdown" that goes through the story, page-by-page, with a sentence synopsis for each one. It's alot easier to figure out the pacing with sentences than pages, I assure you. From there, the story is fleshed out. Some of them come very easily. Others have have almost been physically painful. But all of them are delightful in hindsight and measure up in quality to those past.

sonicforever wrote:So how many comics do you guys get done in advance. Like we are just now getting 160. Do you have everything all planned out for the next 6 or 7 issues?

We try to work at last 6-months in advanced, and we're actually a little bit ahead. Script-wise, we're especially ahead. I have had instances, however, where "finished" scripts had to be revised due to new issues arising. So while the writing may be many, many months in advance, nothing is truly set in stone until it's printed an in your hands.

Sonic922 wrote:Is there a place on the forum to submit ideas or suggestions for future stories? Or should we save those for Sonic Grams?

ABSOLUTELY NO FAN-IDEA SUBMISSIONS.

Don't get me wrong - this fandom is brilliantly creative, and I've love to see alot of the material and ideas. I have a great deal of respect for the fandom (having been a part of it for so long) and I don't run the risk of accidentally using somebody else's ideas - even elements of them. The best place for your ideas are:
1) Fan Projects - comic, fics, art, games - the sky's the limit for this fandom
2) The Sonic Grams - which I'll have more info on later this week if everything falls into place. Stay tuned :D
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:14 pm

Ian, do you have any plans for something like this:

Or, this:

A S3&K adaptation would be ultimately awesome. ;)

Get well, soon!
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby nuckles87 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:51 pm

Didn't they already have an S3&K adaption way back when?

Ian, do you have any plans for a Sonic the Fighters adaption, now that we have Bean and Bark?
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:54 pm

Well, in the Sonic and Knuckles special nothing like this remotely happened. Then in the Return to Angel Island story, they discovered the old wall carpet thing from S3and K, talking about events that already happened in the games but not the comics.

A story like that would so totally rule.

Postby sonicxfactor » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:08 pm

W.W. wrote:Well, in the Sonic and Knuckles special nothing like this remotely happened. Then in the Return to Angel Island story, they discovered the old wall carpet thing from S3and K, talking about events that already happened in the games but not the comics.

I agree, I remember that the Fleetway comic did a S3&K years ago. I’m not sure if the above events from the game (Super Sonic chasing Eggman in space, correct me if I’m wrong) happened but I remember that I really enjoyed it. If Archie did something like this it would most definitely rock!
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Sonic922 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:56 pm

W.W. wrote:Well, in the Sonic and Knuckles special nothing like this remotely happened. Then in the Return to Angel Island story, they discovered the old wall carpet thing from S3and K, talking about events that already happened in the games but not the comics.

In issue number 13, they do a small adaption to the game. Basically, it only covers Angel Island, Act 1 Boss, and Hydrocity though.
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:49 pm

Don't be looking for game adaptations that aren't current. "Sonic Rush" is currently running with "Sonic Riders" to follow shortly there-after. Otherwise, we won't be going back, no.

S3&K was pretty much dealt with between S#13, S&K Special, and the Death Egg Saga mini. The tapestry introduced in S#139 is a new wrinkle to the echidna history - one we may get to at some point.

StF would work better as a mini, if it would work at all. But since there's no minis on the horizon...
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:41 pm

S3&K was pretty much dealt with between S#13, S&K Special, and the Death Egg Saga mini. The tapestry introduced in S#139 is a new wrinkle to the echidna history - one we may get to at some point.

It's a new wrinkle to the echidna history? I'd hoped it to be a wrinkle to the FUTURE!
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Faded-Myth » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:14 am

Interesting reply =) I've always been intrigued as to howother people do things. I think writing clear and natural-sounding dialgoue seems to be the easiest for me to create, since we communicate all the time and it's pretty easy to write a conversation, if you know your characters well enough. Actions and plotting is so much harder >_<

Another minute question out of curiosity, I know the cover art is someone elses court, but do you ever get asked for (or offer) an opnion for the cover art? A lot of the time artistic liscence is taken and the cover doesn't so much as immitate the exact story content as it does represent the theme or convey an idea as to a specific event within the story... Do you ever have any input as to an of that sort of thing? If I unserdtand correctly, you talk to Tracy about the actual story art a fair bit, but when it comes to small, one-off pieces like cover art or fronticepieces and stuff, I was just wondering if you get to have a say about what you'd like represented?

Sorry it's no a mind-boggilingly original or even challenging question, but until I see some more issues there's noa lot that's really coming to mind XD No dount I'll annoyig you with a billion questions in the near future... XD

Anyways, get well soon! We need you in top shape soldier ;)
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:55 am

EthanEchidna wrote:It's a new wrinkle to the echidna history? I'd hoped it to be a wrinkle to the FUTURE!

Assuming it and the Hidden Palace Zone were constructed by echidnas and Lien-Da says it's thousands of years old. So, yes, past.

Faded-Myth wrote: I know the cover art is someone elses court, but do you ever get asked for (or offer) an opnion for the cover art?

Sure! I've offered ideas, been asked, and Spaz has access to the scripts. Aside from being linked to the main story, however, the covered must also be marketable and command one's attention among the other titles on the stand. I think Spaz has done an excellent job balancing out the business side of design with the artistic side.

Faded-Myth wrote:Anyways, get well soon! We need you in top shape soldier ;)

Working on it @_@
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius