Welcome one and all!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Welcome one and all!

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:41 am

If you're here, you've read the preview for Sonic #155 and my confirmation that I am indeed writing for Sonic now.

I welcome you all to this Sonic-specific forum! Please read the rules in the General Forum and follow them. Be aware that I will not tolerate flamming to any degree. Be constructive, debate in a classy fashion, but do not go for each other's throats.

Finally, yes, you have to register to post here. It's free, it's easy, and you don't even need to wait for the confirmation email :roll: It'll help me police things here.

Enough scary moderator-speak! Welcome to this side of Mobius. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Last edited by Ian Flynn on Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby chicobo329 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:44 pm

Oh. My. God. o.o

Mr. Flynn, how's things at Archie so far? n_n Have you pitched any major ideas to the staff so far? Do you feel limited having to work under the Comics Code and Sega? Generic question number 4?
chicobo329
BumbleNewbie

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:54 pm

Answers!!!!

Mr. Flynn, how's things at Archie so far?

I love it, to be perfectly honest. Things have moved smoothly for me, and everyone I've worked with has been pleasant, helpful and supportive.

Have you pitched any major ideas to the staff so far?

Yes, but I'm not at liberty to say much more than that for now. As the comic rolls along, I'll be able to say more.

Do you feel limited having to work under the Comics Code and Sega?

Not at all. There's a great deal from Sega we've yet to delve into, and they haven't said no to anything I've submitted thus far. The Comics Code hasn't been a barrier either. If anything, I welcome the challenge of telling compelling stories that are still well within the bounds of family-friendly entertainment.

So, no, I've felt very free and able to do pretty much what I want.

Generic question number 4?

Generic answer: I'm not at liberty to say much on that right now. :wink:
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Dark Hedgehog » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:12 am

Wow...just...wow...

Ive been a huuuuuge fan of Other M for years, and knowing that your working for the comic as put my mind at ease, and restored my faith in the comic. Maybe, with you on the staff, we'll start to see the quality of the comic come back, as seen in issues's like #'s 123, 125, 130, 134, etc. This is just awesome news and I couldn't be happier. Hope you have a great time at Archie comics! :D
Dark Hedgehog
BumbleNewbie

heh

Postby Dark Hedgehog » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:16 am

sorry to double post, but i didnt see a edit button, must be blind o.o:::

Anyway, i was wondering, now that your busy with the real comic, is Other M ever going to be continued, or is it cancelled indefinetly? I'm just curious because I've been a fan since the beginning.
Dark Hedgehog
BumbleNewbie

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:00 am

No, you're not blind. The edit button is purposefully hidden. The idea is to keep folks from saying one thing that might get them in trouble and then erasing it before the mods see it. It does, however, force folks to double-posts, and that's not fair to you all.

So let's get some feedback. If you think other forum-goers will be vigilant enough of each other, I can put the edit feature back in.

As for Other-M: I'll be honest, I get these questions alot and it frustrates me greatly. The Other-M webpage and forum have answered these questions for over a year. However, SonicVerse Team has been hopping servers, so that some folks haven't even been able to find Other-M. Crimeny.

The answer - for the final time :(hearty laughter): - is that Other-M is still continuing. It will finish it's final six chapters in a series of six 40-page specials. The scripts were finished well before I was brought onto Sonic. Kureejii Lea has taken over administrative duties for the comic.

Thank you for the kind words of support. I really like the way people are thinking on the inside. The book was good before, but now it's going to rock.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby DarkNoise » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:23 am

Ahh yes, SonicVerse. I was ment to be rebuilding that place, till Rocky went and resigned as Admin. :p

Anyway, glad to see your writing for Archie. Hope you do well. I'm a UK fan as a matter of fact. I have to Import.. draggggg....

I'd like to pencil for Archie one day, heh. Maybe you'd like to see my art some time, but meanwhile I gotta finish Animation at Uni first.

Anyway, you've written 155 huh? Well, I can't wait to see it. I'm enjoying 153 at the mo, waiting for 154. Hoping it goes good. So yeah I can't wait to see what you've written for after this story. ^^

Quick random question. I don't want to start any couple topics or crap cause it causes trouble. All I will do is ask 'Who is your favorite? Sally or Mina?' (Note, actually it was a friend who will remain nameless whos desperet to know).

Soo good look in future. Hope everything goes ok, and I'll be watching you. Ciao!
DarkNoise
BumbleNewbie

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:20 pm

Replies by bits!

1) Rocky resigned? :shock: Well that explains a bit.

2) I did the two-part back-up story that will be running from #155 to #156 with my first lead story (currently - 9/2/05) is slated for #160.

3) I'd be happy to look at art you might plan on submitting and give you feedback. By the time you're ready to pursue a pencilling job, there just might be an opening.

4) Hooooo-doggie. Sally Acorn and Mina Mongoose. I've got an idea of who your annonymous friend is :wink:

Anyhoo, I'm going to take the pansy way out and say neither is my favorite, and that they are both excellent characters.

Sally is currently walking down a very socially-destructive path and I hope to investigate that, eventually returning her to the lovely young woman she once was. The damage has been done, but I hope to bring her to a "happy ending."

Mina in a more perillous position since she has, in my mind, run out of steam. She was brought to us to drive a momentary wedge between Sonic and Sally and yet still had a spark of a soul. How she fits into the mix now that she's a rock star and no longer in the running for Sonic's affections is a tricky question. I don't have the answer as of this moment, but it's one of the many things I'm thinking on as the book progresses.

I like 'em both, and I'm thinking on how I'll be using them.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby DarkNoise » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:00 am

;;nods;; is obvious huh? (hearty laughter)

Well I'll be honest, Sally ain't to bad, she was alright back in her old days, but I do like Mina more. I also despise Ash however, more than he despises Sonic. I hope the second part goes well, for my friends sake. She's starting to lose pretty much any faith or hope and is this close to jumping ship. I know a few friends who have already dropped the comic. They just don't have determination and hope like me. (hearty laughter) XD
Ahem. Anyway, yes, thats was a smooth way out of the question.

I dunno if they'll take a penciler from england but hey, it's worth a try huh? I havn't got too much of a portfolio for them right now, but maybe soon. I'll dig out some of my best and post em up here somewhere.

I'm looking forward to your two parter. Sounds good. I just hope they do more Mina in futer and less Ash. Ahem, that was a random comment.
So I hope to see plenty of stories for you in future. I hope there better than anything Ken has been turning out. ^^

Oh well, talk to you soon. Gotta go finish off some pics for my own comic. Ciao.
DarkNoise
BumbleNewbie

Holy Monkeys!!!

Postby Tigsie » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:07 pm

WOW! This is just so exciting!!! I'm so proud and happy for you Ian! Things are looking up in my opinion for Archie. I don't think they've realized what they've gotten themselves into...hehehe. I just found out about this last week. So how does it feel to get paid for doing something you love? ^__~

This is just getting me hyped up for my last debut with Other-M. My priority is with Art School right now, but I plan on scribbling out a few pages before the semester hopefully. I'm going to have to give it my all now! (Finally got the durn script again.)

GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING!!!
Tigsie
BumbleNoble

Postby CartoonistWill » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:45 pm

Hey!

Really glad you're working on the Archie series now. I'm not too knowledgable on the whole "Other-M" comic, but I remember passing by it years (?) ago. Wait... That wasn't the comic where Sonic gets transported to this weird Mobius with Bean the Duck in this gang, Amy Rose with no hair, and Big eats Froggie? Well, that's not a serious question, but feel free to say "yay" or "nay." At any rate, I e-mailed you through the forum (thought you were Jon, but I see that "Dub" is probably Jon... Leaping before I look again). I was going to say that I now believe that the new artwork and writing is exactly what the Archie comic needs. I sadly dropped it. Somehow it couldn't hold my attention. I think it just got weird on me, plus the new art style around issue 100 (er, sometime about SA cross over at least) wasn't my favorite. But now things are getting better, and I love the reappearance of Ray the Flying Squirrel.

Quick question. I noticed that some of the FLEETWAY characters (namely I've seen Shortfuse the Cybernik, Tekno, Ebony, and Pyjamas) have made their way into the Archie series lately (drawn by Jon!). How? Why (except for the cool factor)? Wasn't there some sort of red-tape-copyright mumbo jumbo to surpass?

Well, that was my question. Now that the Archie comic is definately looking better, I might start reading it again. I have absolutely no idea what on Mobius (...it's a joke... what?) is going on, but if that doesn't stop me, I might pick up a copy soon.
CartoonistWill
BumbleNewbie

Postby CartoonistWill » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:46 pm

Ooops... My avatar picture thing is WAY too big, so I'll be changing it soon. Sorry!
CartoonistWill
BumbleNewbie

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:46 am

Yup, you've got "Other-M" down pat. I'm amused someone remembers the throw-away factoid that Big ate Froggy. 50 brownie points to you :(hearty laughter):

The cameo appearances of the Fleetway characters was Jon Gray's nod to the deceased series and meant in good faith. My understanding is a number of Fleetway fans and creatives took issue with it and the red-tape you mentioned reared its ugly head. I'm not 100% certain on the details, but there will definitely be no future acknowledgement of StC in Sonic.

As for not being with the book for awhile - one of the things I'll be trying to juggle is making new-reader-friendly stories that still cater to the the die-hard fans. It's a tricky procedure, and I hope everyone will let me know if I'm doing a good job.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Joey » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:55 am

*cough* Time for long post, no?

1ST: Oh my god, I was going through my comics a few weeks ago (sort of owns every Archie Comic ever made) then going through various fan works...and put two and two together, and found this site. You rock, >_>

2nd: Just wanted really to say, again, you rock, because... I love your style of work with Archie comics. Definantly when Sally slapped Sonic...and I love how you draw Nack...as well as my favorite character, the entire reason why I love Archie Sonic, Julie-Su and the Dark Legionairs. YOU REALLY did a great job with the Legionairs, Im very very impressed and satisfied of how you worked them so good in 139-141. Oh oh and Hunter....and the Dingos...*drool* Dingos so good done ;_;

Yeah, Im sort of wacky when it comes to Sonic....I got onto Archie's Sonic Gram commenting on the Comic you drew with Sally slapping Sonic on stage. I said was Sally off her Medication for just blowing up like that...at the end of the loonngggg crazy email of crazy wacky talk, which was posted unedited to my suprise... "Speaking of medication..." was commented at the end...

Its exciting that I found you online, and I realised you also worked on many of my favorite fan images/comics. Very much so!

KEEP THE WORK UP MAN, you rock at what you do. I hope one day I can learn to do better than I currently do (which is so bad I wont even show it here)..lucky...art classes in college....psh...luxeries I say...mine is just a evil place that only does things that arn't fun to do...

Joey the Fox out.
(Oh, btw: the expressions you use areawsome too, I love those as well, XD)
Joey
BumbleNewbie

Postby Joey » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:58 am

Oh and, hate to double post, I forgot to ask the most important thing of all.

What art programs do you (or Archie Sonic) use for coloring and inking graphics? I currently us Flash MX 2004 (line smoothing all the way!) and Adobe Photoshop 8 CS2, and still can't get the coloring to come out anywhere near what Archie looks like...skills and training I know, but Im wondering if its just the wrong programs to use?
Joey
BumbleNewbie

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius