Ask Ian for September '07 - More Than A Week's Worth!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Ask Ian for September '07 - More Than A Week's Worth!

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:12 pm

H’okie-dokie folks, I’ve decided to give everyone a grace period due to the new format. That said, I’m going to give you examples of what I don’t want to see. So from here on out I’m going to force myself to be the tight-fisted bad guy. In this topic, anyway.

Example #1 wrote: I think he means super-special-suprise-inside comics coming with games.
The adaptions would only come along if SEGA asked.

This has the information it needs, but it skates along the lines of being chit-chatty. This only gives me pause because of its formatting.

Example #2 wrote: A 1. The recent data files (in 179) have a small mention of Geoffrey & the Secret Service which I hope means a yes ^_^

This is perfect up until the bolded part. Chit-chatty. We’ve got a whole forum to be personal and chatty. This feature needs to be raw data.

Example #3 wrote: Life sucks, Carl.

Please note what's quoted was the entirety of the reply. This is precisely the kind of thing that will get you banned.

Now let’s review the rules:
The New Rules wrote: The New Rules

1) Answers Will Come Weekly

Counting from midnight (EST) on Sunday and going into the very last minute of Saturday of each week I'll take questions. Updates will come the following Sunday, and anything submitted on that Sunday will have to wait the week.

2) Five Questions Per Person

Same old rule from before - you get five questions a week, maximum. You don't have to ask five, and anything over five will be ignored. Since that limitation didn't seem to limit too much, however, there's a new wrinkle . . .

3) Limited Number of Answers

I will be selecting questions that I feel will elicit the most thoughtful or informative responses. Questions that look to clarify plot points are good. Asking my opinion about the latest movie isn't the best idea. I don't expect to be picking more than five questions total per week, but it will depend on what's asked per week. I'm not playing favorites or making a statement about anybody's questions. I'm trying to maximize the effectiveness of this feature. So choose your questions carefully.

If we go a dry week, I may go back to questions I passed the first time around and answer them. Still, I'm investing my time to answer y'all's questions. I just ask that some time is invested on your (collective) end.

4) What You Should Post

There are two things you can post in these threads:
1) Questions
2) Answers

The first is obvious enough. Let me explain the second: if you see a question that's fairly simple, like a piece of trivia, you're welcome to answer yourself. Be succinct in your answer. A perfect example would be:

Person A Asks: What issue did Fiona turn on the Freedom Fighters?

Person B Answers: Person A - Fiona left in STH#172

Do not post discussion, chatter, corrections, reactions, anything else! If someone answers somebody wrong, I will correct them in the weekly answer session. If you clutter the thread with anything other than Q&A, you will be temp-banned, starting with one week. Repeat offense get an additional week tacked onto it.

5) No, Seriously, I Will Totally Ban You

I'm dead serious on this one, guys. I don't care if you've had a perfect record on this forum. I don't care if you work on Sonic. I don't care if you're a mod here. You derail, you're gone for a week. I will go total iron-fisted-mad-with-power-dictator here.

6) Wow . . . This Sure Is . . . Strict

It's a necessary evil to ensure you and everyone else gets the most direct access to the information. If things go well, I might loosen things up a little. But I would rather you all get your answers like this than staying silent forever.

So, with all that scary moderator business out of the way, let's get to asking!

Quotes from Previous Thread wrote:
Silver the Hedgehog wrote:you made a comment about Amy being under used in the comics in the script bits which I have two questions about.

1. Will Amy play an active role in any of the up coming issues ending in 07?

2. Any future plans/ideas in 2008 or 2009 that will have a story arc heavily involving Amy Rose?

misspuar wrote:
Ste-C wrote:1) Now that the situation in Mobius has apparently gone worse for Sonic and the Freedom Fighters, will the Secret Service return?
A 1. The recent data files (in 179) have a small mention of Geoffrey & the Secret Service which I hope means a yes ^_^
Q 1. This question originated on The Mobius Forum. Does JulieSu or any of Dmitri's desendants have a Guardian Ring that cloaks/vests etc. cover up?

That's it for now. thanks Ian!

Penpen2nd wrote:Do you think that the Sonic comic would still be around today if it had gone through the gimmick cover phase that was prevalent in the 90's?

Last edited by Ian Flynn on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby BlueFantasy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:18 pm

I hope this is safe to add on, since it is an extension of an answer you gave.

Question #6 wrote:
Do you know what merchandise Sally has been used for, on, or with?

To the best of my knowledge, the only official Sally merchandise was a plush. These were sold exclusively at Sega World of Australia some ten years or more ago.

I did a websearch and found a few more products featuring Sally. Just an interesting bit of fun trivia, really. http://www.sonicgear.org/AustraliaPages ... Items.html http://www.sonicgear.org/USAPages/SonicUSAHygene.html
BlueFantasy
BumbleKnight

Postby Sonic922 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:26 pm

Wow, I had so many questions to ask since the last Ask Ian was shut down, but now I can't remember any, so I'll start with these:

1: Do you have definite plans to bring back the S.O.N.I.C.X. or are they just there if you need another story without Eggman?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Oceanwind » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:45 pm

1. In issue 10 of Sonic X, Eggman says that Gerald Robotnik sent him to Sonic's world. Is it ever going to be explained why and/or how Gerald did this?

2. Are we going to see more of Helen in Sonic X?
Oceanwind
BumbleFan

Postby 2tailed » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:37 pm

1. Issue 176 of StH really had some SatAM/early comic elements going for it as the Freedom Fighters infiltrated Dr. Badvibes' city and ruining his plans. Do you plan on doing more stories with a similar theme?
2. Can we see what day-to-day married life is like for Bunnie and Antoine sometime--maybe a backup story?
3. Again, has Sega said not to put Big the Cat in StH anymore, or has he just been absent from the title because it wouldn't make sense to incorporate him into any of the stories lately?
2tailed
BumbleKnight

Postby jazzyjin » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:38 pm

Regarding Sonic X. When we first saw the Chaotix in the comics they magically dissapeared and then they were back in the Valentines issue you wrote. How did they manage to get back?
jazzyjin
BumbleFan

Postby apprentice manta » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:42 pm

Q. Mina/Ash was still on tour during the big attack on Knothole (you did say their appearance in the crowd scene was unscripted) so do they know their old home was destroyed? Would they move into New Mobotroplis when they return?
apprentice manta
BumbleNoble

Postby EHH123 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:39 pm

How canonical are the first Sonic comic issues including the miniseries? Of course, there is the fact about them breaking the fourth wall in these issues. But there are a few more things. In the very first issue, Sonic had just met Sally and the Freedom Fighters and Robotnik's conquest was happened a short time ago. Yet it is now established that Sonic and Sally had know each other scince they were kids and the coup happened around ten years ago. Also, I never liked the reason why Sonic was a little late in saving Bunnie from being Roboticized. (Read Archive #1 and see what I mean. "a quick stop to the rollar skating shop" :roll: ) I hope this isn't too long of an explanation.
EHH123
BumbleKnight

Postby Faded-Myth » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:53 am

Question:

How canonical are the first Sonic comic issues including the miniseries?

Answer: I'll try and keep this as succinct as possible.

The comic has grown more mature and serious over the years, but past and more light hearted stories don't necessarily have to be written off completely. So long as the end result is still the same (ie: Bunnie's rescue), any slapstick elements can either be seen as a result of a young, inexperienced group of Freedom Fighters who have since matured and improved their game, or it can be seen as something long since irrelevant and can be replaced by any of the more recent explanations.
Last edited by Faded-Myth on Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby TheSlyder » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:13 am

Do you ever have the desire to go back to Robotnik's older style? (As in Robotnik, not Eggman. Obese and evil, not goofy looking, etc. Granted, I know that as the writer, I imagine you wouldn't have a lot of say-so over how the big R looks, I've no doubt Sega wants him to resemble his game counterpart. But do you wish that he could go back to his old style?)
TheSlyder
BumbleFan

Postby Faded-Myth » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:18 am

I believe Ian's answered that one before, which can be found in here: http://www.bumbleking.com/forum/viewtop ... c&start=75

To save time, a direct quote:

As it's been discussed before with the previous topics on Classic-Robotnik, his return would be needlessly complicated and confusing to the new readers. It'd also be redundant - he and Eggman are, in my mind, the same character. They have the same motivations, the same ruthlessness, and the same cooky quirks.

Scourge was a different story altogether since we didn't have a truly "evil Sonic" in the series. Robo-Robotnik was Classic-Robotnik's last hurrah, more or less, considering how similar he was to the Classic version, if a touch more sinister.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Luger » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:01 pm

A few questions (I will hold off most of the ones I wish to ask, since I'm sure they will likely be answered in the upcoming Enerjak Returns arc and therefore the answers would likely be spoilers):

1.) How do you feel about Dimitri's character? More specifically, do you feel he can still play a large role in the comics as he has in the past, despite what he's been reduced to, or do you feel the character has lost his usefulness and you consider him expendable? A side-question: when he was basically said to be to be dead in the RtAI arc, did you ever feel that you should follow thatangle when you became the lead writer of the comic, by keeping his character "dead", or did you have plans for a long time to bring him back?

2.) With the backstory of Finitevus (Albion's Shameful Secret), can we expect to see Yanar once again, as well as Rob O' the Hedge (since his home is near Albion's location) and perhaps those members of the Lost Tribe who were roboticized but would now be flesh and blood again (ie Athair's wife)?

3.) Any plans to use other Anti-Freedom Fighters in the future to expand their characters, like Anti-Sally or Anti-Tails?

4.) Why is it Scourge continues to hold his green, super form when he was only briefly exposed to the Master Emerald, while Knuckles and Sonic loose their powers after a short time?

5.) Any chance we will see the return of artists Ron Lim, Dawn Best or J. Axer in the new year, or is Tracy Yardley signed on for a long time to do the penciling?

Ste~C asked the question before but I think it got overlooked amongst the vast amount of other questions. I'm just adding it here 'cuz I'm equally as interested but not sure of Ste~C had intended on re-asking. What ever happened to Valdez?
Luger
BumbleNoble

Postby Carl Fox » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:45 pm

Dimitri the Echidna wrote:Why is it Scourge continues to hold his green, super form when he was only briefly exposed to the Master Emerald, while Knuckles and Sonic loose their powers after a short time?

Scourge's Data-File page in #161 notes he has to have the prerequisite seven Chaos Emeralds and 50 rings to become Super Scourge, so his current green-with-blue-eyes look is his normal form, not a Super form.
Carl Fox
BumbleNewbie

Postby Para » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:22 pm

Carl Fox wrote:
Dimitri the Echidna wrote:Why is it Scourge continues to hold his green, super form when he was only briefly exposed to the Master Emerald, while Knuckles and Sonic loose their powers after a short time?

Scourge's Data-File page in #161 notes he has to have the prerequisite seven Chaos Emeralds and 50 rings to become Super Scourge, so his current green-with-blue-eyes look is his normal form, not a Super form.

Actually, I think Ian's already said that Scourge's current form is the result of an interrupted super-transformation, when Locke knocked him off the Master Emerald.
Para
BumbleNoble

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:07 pm

Answers for 9/2/07 - 9/8/07

Reminder: Questions not answered are not overlooked, but rather not selected. This may be because others in the thread have already answered them to my satisfaction. Please do not quote/restate questions. They will be returned to in the event of a slow week.

Question #1 wrote:Does Julie-Su or any of Dimitri's desendants have a Guardian Ring that cloaks/vests etc. cover up?

Both Edmund and Dimitri had the ring. Since the ring endured the generations to show up on Knuckles, I think we can assume everyone on Dimitri's side did as well. I also take into consideration that Moritori Rex's mistaken identity wouldn't have come across if he shared Tobor's mark.

It's fairly common knowledge online that Athair was meant to be the one Guardian without the mark. However I don't believe this was ever directly stated and thus isn't necessarily canon. Since Athair doesn't have a body anymore, either, the point is rather moot.

Question #2 wrote:Do you have definite plans to bring back the S.O.N.I.C.X. or are they just there if you need another story without Eggman?

S.O.N.I.C.X. was specifically introduced to provide some diversity to the villain line-up. They will be reoccurring villains.

Question #3 wrote:Regarding Sonic X. When we first saw the Chaotix in the comics they magically dissapeared and then they were back in the Valentines issue you wrote. How did they manage to get back?

I don't know Joe Edkin's original intention was for the Chaotix's disappearance short of it not being what it seemed.

Question #4 wrote:How do you feel about Dimitri's character?

I think Dimitri is one of the books most interesting villains. In the very beginning he was not a god or a leader of a paramilitary techno-cult, but a brilliant and arrogant man who thought he knew best. His ascension to godhood and the free-fall from there have been an interesting study as he's come to grips with his own powerlessness and mortality. One of the subplots to "Enerjak: Reborn" will be seeing how Dimitri handles the crisis and what choices he makes for himself.

Question #5 wrote:Any plans to use other Anti-Freedom Fighters in the future to expand their characters.

There is nothing definitively set for them right now. I do wish to revisit them soon.

Question #6 wrote:Why is it Scourge continues to hold his green, super form when he was only briefly exposed to the Master Emerald, while Knuckles and Sonic loose their powers after a short time?

Answer Bit #1 wrote:Scourge's Data-File page in #161 notes he has to have the prerequisite seven Chaos Emeralds and 50 rings to become Super Scourge, so his current green-with-blue-eyes look is his normal form, not a Super form.

Answer Bit #2 wrote:Actually, I think Ian's already said that Scourge's current form is the result of an interrupted super-transformation, when Locke knocked him off the Master Emerald.

Both contributors are correct. Scourge is the result of an interrupted super-transformation. The resulting mutation is his current look and shift in attitude and competence. Scourge is currently no more powerful than Sonic.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius