Ask Ian for August '07 - Same Idea, New Format

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Ask Ian for August '07 - Same Idea, New Format

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:46 pm

It's been a while, ne folks?

Ask Ian returns to answer those burning questions in your fan-addled brains. We'll be tackling this in a new way, though, so be sure to read this preface. The purpose of the "Ask Ian" feature has always been to be a resource for the online fandom - a one stop Q&A station. The last few efforts became bogged down in repeated questions and side conversations, so this time around we're going to lock things down.

The New Rules

1) Answers Will Come Weekly

Counting from midnight (EST) on Sunday and going into the very last minute of Saturday of each week I'll take questions. Updates will come the following Sunday, and anything submitted on that Sunday will have to wait the week.

2) Five Questions Per Person

Same old rule from before - you get five questions a week, maximum. You don't have to ask five, and anything over five will be ignored. Since that limitation didn't seem to limit too much, however, there's a new wrinkle . . .

3) Limited Number of Answers

I will be selecting questions that I feel will elicit the most thoughtful or informative responses. Questions that look to clarify plot points are good. Asking my opinion about the latest movie isn't the best idea. I don't expect to be picking more than five questions total per week, but it will depend on what's asked per week. I'm not playing favorites or making a statement about anybody's questions. I'm trying to maximize the effectiveness of this feature. So choose your questions carefully.

If we go a dry week, I may go back to questions I passed the first time around and answer them. Still, I'm investing my time to answer y'all's questions. I just ask that some time is invested on your (collective) end.

4) What You Should Post

There are two things you can post in these threads:
1) Questions
2) Answers

The first is obvious enough. Let me explain the second: if you see a question that's fairly simple, like a piece of trivia, you're welcome to answer yourself. Be succinct in your answer. A perfect example would be:

Person A Asks: What issue did Fiona turn on the Freedom Fighters?

Person B Answers: Person A - Fiona left in STH#172

Do not post discussion, chatter, corrections, reactions, anything else! If someone answers somebody wrong, I will correct them in the weekly answer session. If you clutter the thread with anything other than Q&A, you will be temp-banned, starting with one week. Repeat offense get an additional week tacked onto it.

5) No, Seriously, I Will Totally Ban You

I'm dead serious on this one, guys. I don't care if you've had a perfect record on this forum. I don't care if you work on Sonic. I don't care if you're a mod here. You derail, you're gone for a week. I will go total iron-fisted-mad-with-power-dictator here.

6) Wow . . . This Sure Is . . . Strict

It's a necessary evil to ensure you and everyone else gets the most direct access to the information. If things go well, I might loosen things up a little. But I would rather you all get your answers like this than staying silent forever.

So, with all that scary moderator business out of the way, let's get to asking!
Last edited by Ian Flynn on Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Para » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:10 pm

I'd like to ask this one: In your mind- recognizing that the book has many different writers whose idea may vary- what exactly is Bokkun from SonicX?
Para
BumbleNoble

Postby Oceanwind » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:02 pm

Is Shadow ever going to appear in the Sonic X comic?
Oceanwind
BumbleFan

Postby BlueFantasy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:11 pm

1) In "Home pt 2", Commander D'Coolette says they have been stationed near Robotropolis for ten years. Obviously this is a typo. I know you're not the original writer of that story, but in your opinion, what should it have read? Ten months? One year?

2) In the Knuckles comic, we learned of Charmy's "flight mode" where he shrinks himself to make it easier to get around. It was seen again when he and Saffron tried to save Knuckles from Gala-Na and her goons. But it hasn't been seen since. Does it still exist? Is there a reason he and Saffron don't use it anymore?
BlueFantasy
BumbleKnight

Postby Sockie » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:52 pm

Will we ever find out just what happened to General von Stryker? He practically disappeared from existence.
Sockie
BumbleNoble

Postby 2tailed » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:11 pm

-(A sinking feeling this has already been answered...)
Has Big the Cat not seen any appearances in the regular StH comic simply because said appearances haven't fit with any recent stories, or has Sega asked that he not be used?
2tailed
BumbleKnight

Postby shigamado » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:54 pm

Is there any chance will see Blaze, Jet, Marine, etc. As regular characters in the STH book outside of the short story game adaptions?
shigamado
BumbleClan

Postby EHH123 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:09 pm

Two questions:
1. Dub said he recently talked with you and that you two are doing a "special project". Care to explain? :wink:
2. How much do Sonic and the Freedom Fighters know about Knuckles' adventures that were shown in the "Knuckels the Echidna" comic book?
Last edited by EHH123 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
EHH123
BumbleKnight

Postby ChaosJam » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:39 pm

We see Sonic and Tails, for the first time, battle it out in a prison surrounded by some of their mortal enemies; constantly being slammed with insults from Nack, Bean and Mogul.

1) Was this experience planned from the start when you wrote the Sonic VS Tails arch; becoming sort of an image you wanted convey through the growing tension between our heros?

(I hope I phrased this right....)
ChaosJam
BumbleNoble

Postby The Loose Cannon » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:42 pm

1. What is your favorite cover(s) in Sonic, X, Knux, Miniseries, Specials, and/or Archives?

2. What Sonic X episodes did the head of C.L.I.P. and Hector Dragg appear in?

3. Where has Cream been lately?
4. How long is the Enerjak arc going to last?
5. Why does Spectere always have smoke surround him?
The Loose Cannon
BumbleFan

Postby TheSlyder » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:06 am

Do you know why the Sonic Collection volumes have been scaled down to a "TV Guide" size? I imagine to save costs, but it'd just be so much nicer to have the normal comic book dimensions.

Also, I love what you did with issues 175-177. It was really enjoyable to see things crumble the way they did. It added that sense of desperation that's been missing from the series for so long. That said, do you plan on doing more story arcs like the ones you've done lately, or do you think you'll be scattering the more (well-written, non-teen-angsty) dramatic storylines in with lighthearted ones?
TheSlyder
BumbleFan

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:42 am

TheSlyder wrote:Do you know why the Sonic Collection volumes have been scaled down to a "TV Guide" size? I imagine to save costs, but it'd just be so much nicer to have the normal comic book dimensions.

They're printed in the same size as the Archie Digests series, which is basically what the Sonic Archives are anyway, Sonic Digests.

Postby zjstress » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:44 pm

Yes! Anyway, here goes:

1. Like Toby mentioned in SX # 23 review, does it still take place in the mainstream 4kids Sonic X continuity? Or will it branch out, similar to what the original comic did with SatAM?

2.Do you read Power Rings? If so, what do you think?

3.# 177- 179 Spoilers:

I'm very confused. Did Dimitri reach Knuckles and that was the reason he left, or did he leave on his own accord as Dimitri was trying to reach him? In other words, did Dimitri contact Knuckles or not?

4. Okay, now that it's been revealed that Blaze is indeed from another dimension and that Nega does hail from the future and not there, I'm still confused on how Sonic Rush and Sonic 06, as well as all the other sonic games that have subtitles with an R, fit in with one another. For example, how did Blaze get to the future in the first place, and why?

5. What is with the constant changing of character's eye colors? Short term example: Bean debuted with blue eyes. Come around # 173, nearly all the villans in that comic had red eyes. In # 177, his eyes turned back to normal. So......why?
zjstress
BumbleNewbie

Postby Glaber » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:10 pm

I just got Sonic and the Secret Rings (with the bonus comic) and now I'm wondering a few things.

1: which comic series does the bonus comic belong to?
2: if it belongs to the main one why was Cream mentioned on page 6? She not even in that series!
3: If the Sonic X series then why was Fang the Sniper (A.K.A. Knack the Weasel) mentioned? He's not even part of the Sonic X series.
4: Is there some sort of time limit on the restriction on Cream the Rabbit?
5: Do you know what merchandise Sally has been used for, on, or with?
Glaber
BumbleCitizen

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:39 pm

I can get all but 5.

1-3. It does'nt belong in either comic series, it's based in the game's continuity.
4. The restriction that keeps her out of StH and in SX? I'd imagine it's perminant.

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius