Ask Ian vol. VIII - What's Left to Ask?!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Ask Ian vol. VIII - What's Left to Ask?!

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:02 pm

Here we are at thread number eight where y'all pick my brain and I keep providing zombie-answers. We'll start off with carry-overs from the last thread:

Dakota Bob wrote:Hey Ian, what was it like when you first started writing for StH? did you think it would be a childish or stupid job?


It was a bit daunting. I went from "work your way up, kid" to "you're lead writer" in what felt like the blink of an eye. It's quite the challenge to face, especially when so green. Thankfully I was under the tutelage of a wise editor and supported by a fantastic art team, so I think I worked out my willies in the first year or so.

I didn't expect it to be childish or stupid in the least. Dream job or not, I knew I was jumping into an industry I only had passing knowledge of and there wouldn't be much room for error. I came in prepared for long nights and hard creative work. Thankfully, it's been gentler than that - mostly.

EthanEmerald wrote:Spoilered Question

Fiona - In
Rouge - Out
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing
 
Posts: 5837
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:11 pm

Postby Nintenfreak » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:15 pm

Hey Ian, what other comic series do you enjoy? I could ask you on AIM, but I'd much rather have a Sonic related question that doesn't involve Sonic, since what you enjoy can help shape how you write.
User avatar
Nintenfreak
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Theatre Box, Muppet Show

Postby Sonic922 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:35 pm

Oh, I get to be one of the first on the new topic :D.

Do you have plans for Sonic 200 yet? What issue are you up to as far as planning?
User avatar
Sonic922
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:52 am

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:49 pm

Radz the Hedgehog wrote:So true, but I still wouldn't mind his take on the Super Emeralds in the game. I wonder if he is the kind who simply thinks they shouldn't exist in canon or if he's one who accepts them as canon. I think they can fit in the canon given the right theories, but I don't think they were originally planned for.


If I were to guess, I'd say that they're viewed as canon, but in the past with no reason to dredge them back up at the present, due partially to the fact that the games haven't used them except in one installment, and partially due to the fact it could potentially undermine the whole reason for reducing the overall number of Chaos Emeralds to 7 plus the Master in the first place.

But, I can't speak for Ian, if he's got other reasons, I don't know 'em. :) (I don't even know if either of mine are reasons of his)

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
User avatar
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite
 
Posts: 10987
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:19 pm
Location: Balloon Fight Arena

Postby BlueFantasy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:09 pm

Yay! Reading back through my old issues (yet again) I noticed an... oopsie, maybe? It seems in 150-151, Angel Island was pretty much at peace again, with the Echidnas rebuilding Echidnaopolis. Not a dingo in sight. And now, echidnas are reduced to a village and are under oppression again. What gives, to put it bluntly?

Other question: Well, personal thoughts on the issue aside... I know that Archie is very much about family values, and they're also very much about equality (see the little ad skits about wheelchair-bound friends and such). So, with all the hubub about homosexual marriage lately, and with so many shonen-ai fangirls and shoujo-ai fanboys, what do you think are the chances Archie would approach you requesting some non-SEGA homosexual pairing? It's something that crossed my mind, because family values can be anti- or pro- homosexual depending on your viewpoint, and there are many pushing for equality for homosexuals. Related to that, if so approached, what would your response and feelings on the subject be? Who would you sitck together, or would you make new characters?

maybe offensive to some wrote:If you're wondering, I'm not pro-homosexual or a shonen/shoujo-ai fangirl. But I'm the tolerant type, and I won't hate someone because of their sexual preference.
User avatar
BlueFantasy
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:35 pm

Postby Radz the Hedgehog » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:09 pm

The problem with the Super Emeralds is that from a gaming perspective, they appear to be nothing more than placeholders and an unfortunate turn of events due to the fact that they had to split Sonic 3 into two different games which were intended to work together. The problem is that they still had to be playable seperately as well which resulted in the creation of seven more special stages in addition to the Sonic 3 ones.

Essentially, the Super Emeralds appear to be a second thought that were only brought so they could use all the special stages when the games were connected and to give players some reason to play them together.
User avatar
Radz the Hedgehog
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 820
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: Hidden Palace

Postby Rave » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:36 pm

So Ian, does the work you do, something that sometimes makes you stay up on long nights?

And if you were to get a writer's block, would it be sometimes kinda like a challenge to find what you want to write, right when you need it?
User avatar
Rave
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:31 pm
Location: The Battle Franky #50

hey new here

Postby Silver the Hedgehog » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:20 am

Hey Ian I'm new here, I saw that you are kindly answering many of the fans questions so I thought I would give it a shot (hearty laughter).

I wouldn't call myself a Archie Sonic fan. I used to be when I collected all of the comic books. I stopped because I didn't like the direction it was going in when it was mainly under Ken and Karl. Even though I stopped buying I still kept up to date on what was going on seeing if anything would catch my interest again. it never did not until now since your now the main writer. I have a long list of reasons on why I didn't like the comic anymore. One of the many reasons was the mistreatment of my favorite Character Amy Rose. She was poorly developed and was never used for anything other then minor things and the whole aging herself with the rings was just a strike against her character, it was just pitiful IMO.

But after reading #172 and reading previews for #175 it seems your making an attempted to get more into Amy's character. How will you develop Amy and what are some of your ideas to go about it? Will she be the stronghearted, determined, loyal, feisty hedgehog like she is in the anime/games? ( I love what the did with her in Sonic X (anime)) If so I will be excited to see how it turns out and how it will effect the others around her.

Also another thing people seem to be asking about is Sonic's love life. You've had questions concerning Mina, Sally, Fiona and even Bunnie and yet none about Amy. If Amy does get the development she needs, will later issues show a growing respect and romantic connection between Sonic and herself?
User avatar
Silver the Hedgehog
BumbleNewbie
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:25 pm

Postby General Tekno » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:24 am

Actually, I think Bollers wanted to do an Amy/Sonic pairing eventually.
User avatar
General Tekno
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 12:02 am

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:38 pm

Nintenfreak wrote:Hey Ian, what other comic series do you enjoy? I could ask you on AIM, but I'd much rather have a Sonic related question that doesn't involve Sonic, since what you enjoy can help shape how you write.


Right now/I recently finished reading:
    Ultimate Spider-Man
    Ultimate X-Men
    Ghost Rider
    X-Factor (by trade)
    Powers (by trade)
    Nextwave (just finished)
    Civil War (just finished)
    Invincible (by trade)
    Sabrina the Teenage Witch

I'm probably forgetting a few too . . .

Sonic922 wrote:Do you have plans for Sonic 200 yet? What issue are you up to as far as planning?


I have a few tentative plans, but nothing solid. We're currently working on the issues that will finish out 2007.

BlueFantasy wrote:It seems in 150-151, Angel Island was pretty much at peace again, with the Echidnas rebuilding Echidnaopolis. Not a dingo in sight. And now, echidnas are reduced to a village and are under oppression again. What gives, to put it bluntly?


A number of things. Locke devoted less and less time to protecting his people and more to finding the Brotherhood. Without his aid, and without Remington's leadership, and with the Dark Legion divided in their own civil war, there was nobody left to keep the dingoes at bay.

The Dingo Regime suffered a small defeat during RtAI. They weren't routed.

BlueFantasy wrote:Other question: Well, personal thoughts on the issue aside... I know that Archie is very much about family values, and they're also very much about equality (see the little ad skits about wheelchair-bound friends and such). So, with all the hubub about homosexual marriage lately, and with so many shonen-ai fangirls and shoujo-ai fanboys, what do you think are the chances Archie would approach you requesting some non-SEGA homosexual pairing? It's something that crossed my mind, because family values can be anti- or pro- homosexual depending on your viewpoint, and there are many pushing for equality for homosexuals. Related to that, if so approached, what would your response and feelings on the subject be? Who would you sitck together, or would you make new characters?


I honestly don't know what Archie's policy would be on that. Given past actions, I would assume they would promote a more conservative stance. I can't speak for the company, though.

If we were to investigate such a couple, we'd have to bring in somebody new. There's nobody in the vast cast that I can think of as being gay. And in that event, I'd sincerely hope we'd be introducing the characters for more reasons than to be "edgy" like that.

Rave wrote:So Ian, does the work you do, something that sometimes makes you stay up on long nights?


It hasn't yet, but I've put in some long hours putting together the rough drafts.

Rave wrote:And if you were to get a writer's block, would it be sometimes kinda like a challenge to find what you want to write, right when you need it?


Due to the nature of how the comic is constructed, I rarely have to worry about direction. When it does hit, and it's a lot easier when doing original stuff, it's very frustrating. Usually I have to walk away or put on some music to muscle through the block.

Silver the Hedgehog wrote:How will you develop Amy and what are some of your ideas to go about it? Will she be the stronghearted, determined, loyal, feisty hedgehog like she is in the anime/games? ( I love what the did with her in Sonic X (anime)) If so I will be excited to see how it turns out and how it will effect the others around her.


STH#172 is a pretty clear indication where I'm intending to take the character. The rest I can't really extrapolate on for a few reasons; namely that nothing is set in stone until published and I can't give too much away. Sonic X did a very good job of characterizing her, as well as the recent games, so I'm making much of my cue from them.

Silver the Hedgehog wrote:If Amy does get the development she needs, will later issues show a growing respect and romantic connection between Sonic and herself?


No comment. ;)
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing
 
Posts: 5837
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:11 pm

Postby Rave » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:17 pm

Ah I see...

Well... thats good to know that you do go outside, if the trouble were to arise. And music tends to be good for the mind as well, depending on which types you like.

If you were to recommend some music of your tastes to help rid the block, what would they be?

Usually I just pick up some Kenny G. or Coldplay to help ease me thru my college hours.
User avatar
Rave
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:31 pm
Location: The Battle Franky #50

Postby thyena » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:11 pm

Are Geoffrey St. John and Hershey going to appear again anytime soon? I've always liked them.
User avatar
thyena
BumbleNewbie
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:32 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Postby Dakota Bob » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:14 am

How long does it usually take to come up with a script for the comic?
User avatar
Dakota Bob
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:27 pm

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:45 am

PLEASE NOTE: I'm a bit put-upon right now, so this is going to be the last set of answers for a while. Y'all are free to keep asking, but don't expect the usual promptness with answers. Thanks everyone!

Rave wrote:If you were to recommend some music of your tastes to help rid the block, what would they be?


It all depends on what moves you. Certain songs and styles will affect you differently than they will somebody else. Shop around and see what does it for you.

HauntedExodus wrote:Anyways... Are there any plans to have Sally regain her larger, main-female role like she had earlier on in the comic? If not, is how much we see of her now going to be the general amount of it?


I can't really elaborate on that without spoiling. That said, I think the up-coming issue will give you some idea where I'd like to take her character.

thyena wrote:Are Geoffrey St. John and Hershey going to appear again anytime soon? I've always liked them.


No immediate plans for them.

Dakota Bob wrote:How long does it usually take to come up with a script for the comic?


Depends on which part of the process you mean. Conceptualizing can take minutes or may be something I've stewed on for years. Pitching the story can be as easy as rattling the idea off over the phone, or something I have to really sell over the course of a few days. Breakdowns usually only take a day or two to construct. The rough draft usually occupies a weekend, if not longer. Revision varies from script to script.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing
 
Posts: 5837
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:11 pm

Postby Mauser KAR98K » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:33 pm

For the LEO in me:

When will we see the return of Constible Remington?

Miss him.
Mauser KAR98K
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:46 am
Location: Tennessee, Stones throw away from KY

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron