Sonic Universe #11 Preview/Discussion/Spoilers

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby linebyline » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:00 pm

Okay. It seems there is a running theme here of my just wanting to smack some of the characters.

First, Finitevus, for being Finitevus. I can't express how gratifying it was to see Knuckles not want to go for the obvious gimmick team up and instead go for the "cave in Fin's skull" option. I was pleased to see that no one was surprised by the inevitable double-cross, and that Finitevus made it work anyway just makes me love to hate him even more.

Then there's Bill, though I'm not sure if I want to hit him for being a traitor or for being stupid. I mean come on, when has teaming up with Eggman worked out in anyone's favor? (Though it looks suspiciously like the Platypus Legion is working for Finitevus rather than Eggman... Mysteries abound...) And besides, did we really need another traitor?

And something about how Emu sat on his feathered butt and watched while his supposed allies were beaten and captured just rubs me the wrong way. And how can he claim to be a pacifist when he explicitly said to Thrash, in effect, "Here, beat these guys up for me" earlier in this very issue? "Nonviolent ways" my right gluteus. If anything it looks like he's ready to turn traitor himself.

A few more random thoughts:
I kinda like Thrash, but he does look a bit like Bark and Storm smushed together and painted purple.
While I know that Bill is just wearing an Eggman Pallet Swap Costume like Snively's, it still reminds me of Sonic riders for some reason. I think it's the goggles.
Why are all the platypi's (That's my spelling and I'm sticking to it) bills all metal? I guess it works but... I dunno.
The enemy of the platypus is man.
Did Ian try to work in just a pinch of serious physics/engineering speak with Vector's remark on using warp rings to take care of the tension problem?
linebyline
BumbleKnight

Postby Fish Fro » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:28 pm

And something about how Emu sat on his feathered butt and watched while his supposed allies were beaten and captured just rubs me the wrong way. And how can he claim to be a pacifist when he explicitly said to Thrash, in effect, "Here, beat these guys up for me" earlier in this very issue? "Nonviolent ways" my right gluteus. If anything it looks like he's ready to turn traitor himself.

The explanation is simple: Emu is a "hippie"crite. My guess is he's probably based off of real life hippies who contradict themselves, including those of them who live by the mentality of "Do it for me, because I won't."
Fish Fro
BumbleNoble

Postby The KKM » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:36 pm

Tracy Yardley! wrote:I think Thrash's design works pretty well and does stick with a SegaSonic look like I prefer. It was Ian's design and I stuck with it, like I usually try to when he takes the time to do the conceptual work.

I can understand that, and obviously, both you and Ian have way more years of experience than me on these things, so I'm no one to complain. but I still feel you could have made him look much better and keep the SEGASonic look, instead of Knuckles and Bark doing the fusion dance and going purple. Dunno, maybe if he lost the dreadlocks.

And before anyone says I'm picking because its an Archie character or something, I'd also complain about Shadow or Silver. Big, Fang, Mighty, Espio , Vector and even Chip or the Werehog are good examples of how original you can be while retaining the SEGASonic look.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby MegaHayzer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:19 pm

linebyline wrote:The enemy of the platypus is man.

Best. line. ever.

I loved Mighty's line: "Since when was "You can kick my butt" a romantic comment."

Or something to that effect.
MegaHayzer
BumbleClan

Postby TutiFrutti112 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:47 pm

hayzer the tazer wrote:I loved Mighty's line: "Since when was "You can kick my butt" a romantic comment."
I laughed just reading it here. I need to know what that was about.
TutiFrutti112
BumbleNoble

Postby Peircefer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:48 pm

hayzer the tazer wrote:

Best. line. ever.

I loved Mighty's line: "Since when was "You can kick my butt" a romantic comment."

I still love the fact that another high-schooler, loves to watch Phin. and Ferb. also, haven't read the issue, and I think I know what the Mighty quote is about.
Peircefer
BumbleClan

Postby theJcfreak » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:50 pm

Shadic the Hedgehog wrote:
hayzer the tazer wrote:

Best. line. ever.

I still love the fact that another high-schooler, loves to watch Phin. and Ferb. also, haven't read the issue, and I think I know what the Mighty quote is about.

*raises hand* Go Phineas, go go Phineas!

Yeah, the Mighty quote was pretty awesome too. This whole comic was full of quotable quips.

You know, if I had to complain about any art, I think it would be Barby. She looks too much a albino Sally Acorn to me in this issue. Or is that just basically what she is anyway?
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:52 pm

Sir Bert Leaman wrote:I thought Mobian Tasmanian devils were unevolved beasts? I mean, St. John used them to track Sonic back durring End Game... Were they not Tasmanian Devils? I'm not sure now...

Huh, you're right. Curious.

(mwah ha ha)

As Tracy said, I did the initial concept design for Thrash. Tracy made it awesome, but I laid the ground work. I had just about wrapped up the design when we (as in, Archie Staff "we") got our first preview glances of the Werehog. Yeah, I was just a bit cheesed off that they beat me to the punch in general design. Such is life.

Folks are saying he looks like an odd mix of a number of characters, and they're not far off the mark. The original inspiration for Thrash comes from Sonic & Knuckles on the Genesis. When you switch between Sonic and Knuckles, there's this half-second morphing animation where you get this purple hedgechidna/echihog thing, and I've always wanted to do something with that.

I'll get into my thinking about why Thrash would be partially based on Knuckles and why he's more SegaSonic inclined at a later date. It's too early to say anything else now (and there's more relentless teasing to be had in-book).
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Penguin God » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:07 pm

Well, there are unevolved frogs and Mobian frogs. So why not say the same for Tazmanian devils?
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:11 pm

Penguin God wrote:Well, there are unevolved frogs and Mobian frogs. So why not say the same for Tazmanian devils?

Quiet, you. Did you not see my mwa ha ha?
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:18 pm

It was in parenthesis, so the rest of the cast is not supposed to hear it.

Postby Dub » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:28 pm

Toby Barrett wrote:It was in parenthesis, so the rest of the cast is not supposed to hear it.

(Ian Flynn is a turtle faced doofus and Tracy Yardley eats baby seal heads whole and raw)

So that's how that works... :D
Dub
BumbleCreative

Postby Super Rayzor » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:42 pm

:(hearty laughter): @ Ian, Dubs, and Toby!!! Bravo, bravo, awesomeness!!!
Super Rayzor
BumbleNoble

Postby bsonic10 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:23 pm

Penguin God wrote:Well, there are unevolved frogs and Mobian frogs. So why not say the same for Tazmanian devils?

I was also going to bring up the Muttski vs. Sleuth Dog thing, but given the "Mwah ha ha" and Ian's response to the original question as well as the fact that Thrash was apparently a failed experiment of Fini's (again, still don't have the issue), that does leave a little room for him to be a different special case.

Oh, and thanks for the scans JC. Judging from that scan I'm not that crazy about Thrash's design. Also, for some reason I was expecting something very different when you described Bill as wearing an Eggman suit; but rethinking it, what was used makes more sense than what I was thinking.
bsonic10
BumbleClan

Postby Fish Fro » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:18 pm

...so maybe Thrash isn't a Tasmanian Devil and that's just his cover up for being a horrible freak of nature?
Fish Fro
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius