Ian Can Now Go Super! - Ask the Potto Vol. VII

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Ian Can Now Go Super! - Ask the Potto Vol. VII

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:35 pm

Ladies and gents, we've filled near-about 90 pages of Sonic and general trivia, all within my first year on the book. That's a stunning among of feedback and interaction, and it was a fairly smooth ride to boot!

We're on our way to StH#171 full of answers and new questions. My presence on SX#16-17 will be felt, and a new Sonic game loom on the horizon. I'm looking forward to that especially. :wink:

So let's go for round seven. A bring me fifty rings, would you? I feel like clearing a subforum in under thirty seconds.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicxfactor » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:49 pm

*gives Ian 50 rings* there you go now get to work. :(hearty laughter):
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:50 pm

When will Sonic #170's "badnik" backstory be continued? The end of it says "definitely not the end" as if there's going to be something really big on the horizon. And on the same lines, will this sequel be written by Gallagher or you?

Are the echidnas and the original freedom fighters in the new Special Zone serving Feist, now?

Now that there are a grand total of seven chaos emeralds in the universe, does Sonic now need all seven to transform into Super Sonic? I'm assuming he doesn't need 50 rings, especially considering rings haven't been used in the comic in... Aurora knows how long.

And what about those super emeralds that would theoretically transform the hog into Hyper Sonic, anyway? Were they dragged into the mix in the past few stories off-panel? Or are they still chao in Tikal and Chaos' dimension, waiting to return in "See ya' later, Chao"?

And an amusing question... hee. Does Scourge glow in the dark from his Master Emerald radiation? XD
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby JaxBombin' » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:00 pm

:? I'm not too up to date with the comics, but uh, did you kill off that chick "M" yet? Eh...seems like a fake Jamie Lee Curtis in her younger days, bad move/character in my opinion.

Also, nice change up on Evil Sonic too, kind of modernized him, dude looked like the Fonz.
JaxBombin'
BumbleKnight

Postby Ed Bellis » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:37 am

I always forget about this forum for about three weeks, and by the time I remember the new issue is out and I can't read half the questions. >_> CURSE YOU POTTO

Anyways, I'm caught up now, so here's a random question: The throwaway remark last topic about Marvel's "Civil War" storyline made me wonder how much you yourself keep up with events throughout the comic book industry. You're clearly an avid gamer, but I almost never hear you mention other comic book titles. Are you keeping up with, say, the Civil War or DC's "One Year Later" or any other big storylines throughout other publications? If not, do you sort of feel an obligation to do so, being part of the business and all?

Back to Sonic proper, I just had a few minor questions:

1. Did Feist give them that Emerald to keep indefinitely, or just to borrow? If it's the latter, that's some real trust on his part, especially since he seems to know what the Emeralds are capable of!

2. Are there any other grave markers in the little cemetery Sonic was visiting? Connery and Tommy are recent deaths, but is there a marker for Julayla? Nate? General D'Coolette? I'd be curious to see how different residents of Knothole honor their fallen.

Finally, a quick comment: I was kind of hoping that there wasn't anything sinister behind Amadeus's sinister-looking comment upon his return, primarily because this story seems to, for a brief time, keep most of the players happy and give them really good things. I just want Tails to happy and not have his dad turn out to be some raving psychopath, darnit! >_> But ehh, whatever. I trust you. =P

That's all right now. Keep up the good work and such - one of the best issues yet, IMO. =)
Ed Bellis
BumbleFan

Re: RE

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:39 am

EthanEmerald wrote:Now that there are a grand total of seven chaos emeralds in the universe, does Sonic now need all seven to transform into Super Sonic? I'm assuming he doesn't need 50 rings, especially considering rings haven't been used in the comic in... Aurora knows how long.

I was wondering about those, myself. But it seemed like I'd seen them used somewhat recently, so...

And an amusing question... hee. Does Scourge glow in the dark from his Master Emerald radiation? XD

That reminds me, a friend asked, and I forgot the answer: who created Scourge? Not in the comic, I mean for the comic, writer/whatever else. ;P

Hip and Hop showed up during the "Mecha Madness" arc as magistrates/judges that tried Sonic for treason. They haven't been seen since.

Ah, yes, I remember now...

Also, regarding the Veg-o-Fortress, maybe someone could do a back-up to spotlight another character up in there. ;P

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Something else comes to mind. At what point did Tails stop "hating" Sonic for moving in on his crush?

I don't remember reading them settling things recently . . .

Perhaps not, but they certainly seem to be getting along better as of 170...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Edit: One other thing, I just remembered when I saw Tails with his family... when did Archie start coloring him correctly, instead of the brown they used for so long before?
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:51 pm

Edit: One other thing, I just remembered when I saw Tails with his family... when did Archie start coloring him correctly, instead of the brown they used for so long before?

That's another thing that got me. The Sonic Archives series recolored the original issues for the new generation, but for some reason Tails remained brown in Archives 1 and 2. What's up with that? I thought Archives might correct his fur color inconsistency, but I guess not. So, now, I ask, at which point in the series is he supposed to turn "orange"?
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Rave » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:09 pm

I don't know if you have ever had this question asked yet, but here it goes.

When you finish writing a story, how many days/weeks or months is it until the issue hits the stores?

Also, when are the deadlines for an issue usually? And do you meet them before or at the designated times?
Rave
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:23 pm

sonicxfactor wrote:*gives Ian 50 rings* there you go now get to work. :(hearty laughter):

See what you've done? Now I've got fifty seconds to answer the rest of the questions - or hit Y to swap out with Kureejii Lea.

EthanEmerald wrote:When will Sonic #170's "badnik" backstory be continued? The end of it says "definitely not the end" as if there's going to be something really big on the horizon. And on the same lines, will this sequel be written by Gallagher or you?

It's my understanding that Mike Gallagher's second part to the story is waiting only on room in the book to run. That's the fate of an inventory story. We'll run it if/when we can, but don't stay up waiting for it.

EthanEmerald wrote:Now that there are a grand total of seven chaos emeralds in the universe, does Sonic now need all seven to transform into Super Sonic? I'm assuming he doesn't need 50 rings, especially considering rings haven't been used in the comic in... Aurora knows how long.

Yep, he'll need all seven. Which means both he and I are going to have to work harder to get them into his hands. I'm taking my cue from Sega in terms of the rings required. Sonic hasn't had to have them on-hand for at least eight games. Besides, it wasn't really a sticking point for the Archie-Super Sonic.

EthanEmerald wrote:And what about those super emeralds that would theoretically transform the hog into Hyper Sonic, anyway? Were they dragged into the mix in the past few stories off-panel? Or are they still chao in Tikal and Chaos' dimension, waiting to return in "See ya' later, Chao"?

I had to research this for a mystical items guide I put together for the team, so trust me when I say that the Super Emeralds are gone. They were the seven Server Chao that aided Tikal in sealing away Chaos. Since they've reverted to their original states - and to stave off any confusion - the Super Emeralds are no more.

EthanEmerald wrote:And an amusing question... hee. Does Scourge glow in the dark from his Master Emerald radiation? XD

Ask Rouge ;)

Seriously - no, he doesn't.

JaxBombin' wrote: I'm not too up to date with the comics, but uh, did you kill off that chick "M" yet? Eh...seems like a fake Jamie Lee Curtis in her younger days, bad move/character in my opinion.

StH#163. Enjoy her end there.

Eric Bell wrote:The throwaway remark last topic about Marvel's "Civil War" storyline made me wonder how much you yourself keep up with events throughout the comic book industry. You're clearly an avid gamer, but I almost never hear you mention other comic book titles. Are you keeping up with, say, the Civil War or DC's "One Year Later" or any other big storylines throughout other publications? If not, do you sort of feel an obligation to do so, being part of the business and all?

First off - what throw-away remark? I don't remember bringing up "Civil War." (he sheepishly admitted)

I'm following "Civil War" but not the spin-offs or ramifications. Some of it I've heard second-hand and it sounds interesting, but here towards the end, a lot of it sounds like filler. The main mini has been pretty good.

I followed "Identity Crisis" avidly and then slogged through "Infinite Crisis." The only thing I really followed spinning out of that was the two "Secret Six" minis.

I'd like to pick up a collection of "52" when it comes out. I'd like to pick it up as it comes out, but $2.00-$3.00 a week adds up real fast.

Eric Bell wrote:1. Did Feist give them that Emerald to keep indefinitely, or just to borrow? If it's the latter, that's some real trust on his part, especially since he seems to know what the Emeralds are capable of!

The extent of Feist's control over the emeralds is still a big question mark. Give his past characterization, I wouldn't be too trustworthy of his motives until proven innocent.

Eric Bell wrote:2. Are there any other grave markers in the little cemetery Sonic was visiting? Connery and Tommy are recent deaths, but is there a marker for Julayla? Nate? General D'Coolette? I'd be curious to see how different residents of Knothole honor their fallen.

If a Freedom Fighter or ally has fallen, they're remembered there. Sir Connery and Tommy were shown this time because their passings were the most recent.

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:That reminds me, a friend asked, and I forgot the answer: who created Scourge? Not in the comic, I mean for the comic, writer/whatever else. ;P

Scourge was a group effort with no one "father." Mike Pellerito and someone else in the Archie officies started the ball rolling and the character was further fleshed out by Pat Spaz, myself and then brought to life finally by Tracy Yardley.

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:One other thing, I just remembered when I saw Tails with his family... when did Archie start coloring him correctly, instead of the brown they used for so long before?

Excellent question. I'm not sure which issue he made the switch, or if it was a gradual thing. My best guess would be around the time of the Sonic re-design.

EthenEmerald wrote:That's another thing that got me. The Sonic Archives series recolored the original issues for the new generation, but for some reason Tails remained brown in Archives 1 and 2. What's up with that? I thought Archives might correct his fur color inconsistency, but I guess not. So, now, I ask, at which point in the series is he supposed to turn "orange"?

The archive issues may have been recolored, but they remained as true to the originals as possible. Thus, Tails is brown and Sally is pink. See the above answer as well. There is no "in-continuity" color change moment.

Rave wrote:When you finish writing a story, how many days/weeks or months is it until the issue hits the stores?

The entire process - from concept pitch to printing and shipping - takes about six months. Keep in mind we have to go through two editorial processes since everything must be approved by Sega. We also try to give ourselves as much wiggle-room as possible, so we work that far ahead. I

Rava wrote:Also, when are the deadlines for an issue usually? And do you meet them before or at the designated times?

I can't speak for the rest of the team, but for myself I try to get the rough draft finished within a week of the breakdowns being approved. After that, depending on work-load and the amount of revision needed, I try to get each new draft done within or under a week.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:22 pm

So, where's a good place to learn more about Feist? I'm blanking at the moment, and Wiki's not helping.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Rlan » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:14 pm

Re your reply about the extended profiles:

I don't know, I sort of feel that it would be a bit more helpful to a young fan of Sonic to expand on this a bit more. Say, like Ages etc, and all the rediculous stuff Ken was adding in there. Even for an "At this point in time" perspective. Or even little notes like where Scratch & Grounder originated. Even for the Badniks, you could have noted that they were last scene in the latest issue or something :P

It's useless for something like me who knows this crap already, but it might help for future writers. Even locals like the Veg-O-Fortress and silly stuff like that. The history of Mobius starts kicking in around #30, so who knows. You've got plenty of pages for this stuff later on anyhow :)

As a last note, I see the artwork that was being used was generally from official sources, or at least model sheets [the Black and Pink Sally was a nice touch]. Any chance of asking for a favour, and getting an official picture of Splats? Someone surely has access to it, and the only official artwork is a small image on the back of a Trading Card.
Rlan
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:26 am

...Splats?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Kureejii Lea » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:29 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:...Splats?

IIRC, a spring-loaded bunny thing.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:06 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:So, where's a good place to learn more about Feist? I'm blanking at the moment, and Wiki's not helping.

The Wiki is inaccurate. Feist has never left the Zone of Silence/Special Zone. Otherwise it's fine - in that nothing is really known about him. He's a panda demi-god. That's about it for now.

Kureejii Lea wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:...Splats?

IIRC, a spring-loaded bunny thing.

...which was cut last-minute for the first Sonic game. He's still in the game manual, and I believe the sprite was found after hacking the game....

Yep - Splats
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:36 pm

Ah, ok. I didn't even find an entry for him, so...

Did Sonic actually meet him before in the comic? Sounded that way, but I can't seem to locate any info on the issue/issues... off-panel, perhaps? SatAM toon, maybe?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius