Ask Ian #5 - The Return

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby LunaYoshi » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:07 pm

Yay!

1. Do you have plans to touch on Julie-Su's father's disappearance? He sorta hasn't been mentioned since SS#11, I think it was, and I'm dead curious! Could have an interesting dynamic between Julie-Su and her birth father.

2. How does Knuckles feel about Rouge hitting on him? Cuz as a huge Julie-Su fan, it sure fires me up. I can imagine he'd be like "Um, WTF?" about it.

3. What exactly happened AFTER Julie-Su ran into Simon in SS#11? She's like, "Let's go!" and THE END pops up. Did she just go with him wherever and meet her foster mother, or what?

4. To put it simply-- should I be worried about Rouge putting a rift between Julie-Su and Knux?

This has been your annual WTFJULIE-SUathon. Keep up the great work, Ian. You really have breathed life into this comic. :)
LunaYoshi
BumbleFan

Postby Ed Bellis » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:11 pm

Howdy, Ian. Got the latest issue a little while and I've got a nagging plot point I'm seeking clarification on: does Shadow remember the "old timeline"? Or did Lien-Da tell him about it? He seems rather cognizant of the fact that he's got something to lose, after all.

And I suppose I'm also wondering why Knuckles seems so adamant about keeping this timeline, despite the fact that he remembers the old one - seems a bit OOC for him, but if you're going somewhere specific with this obviously don't tell me. =P

Nice to see this is still going on. As always, thanks. =)
Ed Bellis
BumbleFan

Postby BlueFantasy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:59 pm

LunaYoshi wrote:Yay!
3. What exactly happened AFTER Julie-Su ran into Simon in SS#11? She's like, "Let's go!" and THE END pops up. Did she just go with him wherever and meet her foster mother, or what?

Well, I'm not Ian, but I believe in the story where the DL first used the quantum beam, Knux was moving Julie-Su and her parents into an apartment. I think it was that story. Anyway, at another time, Julie-Su mentions Simon and says he "dissappeared soon afterward." I think that's a plot hole. o.o'
BlueFantasy
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:56 pm

LunaYoshi wrote:1. Do you have plans to touch on Julie-Su's father's disappearance? He sorta hasn't been mentioned since SS#11, I think it was, and I'm dead curious! Could have an interesting dynamic between Julie-Su and her birth father.

Unforuntately for Simon, I believe he was among the many that fell victim to the Egg Grapes.

LunaYoshi wrote:2. How does Knuckles feel about Rouge hitting on him? Cuz as a huge Julie-Su fan, it sure fires me up. I can imagine he'd be like "Um, WTF?" about it.

For now Knuckles is oblivious in classically dense way.

LunaYoshi wrote:3. What exactly happened AFTER Julie-Su ran into Simon in SS#11? She's like, "Let's go!" and THE END pops up. Did she just go with him wherever and meet her foster mother, or what?

That's as good an answer as any. I'm afraid too much time has passed for us to return to that one loose end.

LunaYoshi wrote:4. To put it simply-- should I be worried about Rouge putting a rift between Julie-Su and Knux?

I'm afraid I can't answer that one.

Eric Bell wrote:Howdy, Ian. Got the latest issue a little while and I've got a nagging plot point I'm seeking clarification on: does Shadow remember the "old timeline"? Or did Lien-Da tell him about it? He seems rather cognizant of the fact that he's got something to lose, after all.

Lien-Da told him. In the previous M25YL installments we see Lien-Da coming upon Rotor and Cobor in council. Her time-band was the initial result. Betraying them to King Shadow further increased her rank - and safety in this new time-line.

Eric Bell wrote:And I suppose I'm also wondering why Knuckles seems so adamant about keeping this timeline, despite the fact that he remembers the old one - seems a bit OOC for him, but if you're going somewhere specific with this obviously don't tell me. =P

Alrighty then. I won't =D
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Ed Bellis » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:31 am

Crafty, Mr. Flynn. ;)
Ed Bellis
BumbleFan

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:10 am

-Possible Spoiler Alert-

In Sonic #167, Dimitri says,

"You are despicable, Lien-Da! I have not been this ashamed of my bloodline since I worked with Doctor Finitevus!"

Will we see this played up on in the present?

MOD EDIT: Corrected spoiler format.
Last edited by EthanEmerald on Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Re: RE

Postby Dirk Amoeba » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:55 am

Easy on the spoilers, dude!
Dirk Amoeba
BumbleFan

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:13 pm

My bad. I didn't think the dialogue was anything major, but I edited it to include a spoiler alert.
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Re: RE

Postby Sonic922 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:41 pm

EthanEmerald wrote:My bad. I didn't think the dialogue was anything major, but I edited it to include a spoiler alert.

Isn't it technically not a poiler since it was posted under the 167 first look thing already?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Dirk Amoeba » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:22 pm

Just because it's available doesn't mean you can assume everyone's read it yet. I hadn't.
Dirk Amoeba
BumbleFan

Postby Goldanas » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:26 pm

Hey Ian, first off I got to say I really enjoy reading what you've written for the comic so far. I'm sure you've heard many times how you've really revitalized the chararters (alongside Tracy), and brought interesting dynamics to not only the story, but also to the well-established characters.

I'm sure you've heard all this many times. Well, I'd just like to reiterate that. It's just that satisfying to read these stories. Every page is so filled with action, character-driven emotion, and subtle nuances that I can barely can contain myself. I find that I laugh out loud. I find smiles creep across my face. I find deep pits of horrible realization and the very subtle darkness in your dialogue that inspired it. You've brought me back to this and I commend you for it.

I understand there are varying opinions (some that border on the long side, like this), but to me, a comic is divided up into three parts: Art, Character, Story. I love Tracy's work (Props dude), he really brings back the American style to the American Comics. That's one down. Character is something that's been well established in this series for a long time and for the most has remained strong over the years. It's your dialogue work that really builds upon that and brings a very humanized (about as humanized as animals can get... uh, athropomorphic animals...) emotional standing and character set. That's Two. The stories themselves have been off and on over the years. Understandable as it's tough to write good plots after so many years with Sonic's presence is so many different forms of media. Story is probably the most important part of this triple threat and I feel you hit it dead on.

There will always be conflicts over the many characters to use and the art is ever changing, but if you've got a good story, you'll keep 'em comin' back for more. You give me twists, Ian, and with those come turns. You give me instant gratification, but then you make me wait with your hints and your light touchings of subjects. It drives me NUTS, but I keep coming back for more because I gotta' know. I gotta' know what happens next. Thanks, Ian, for giving me back the faith in this book I had once so long ago.

Anyway, just to make this longer, I'll give you a couple Q's. After reading over your Table, I think I've come up with a few things.

1. I'm a Knuckles fan at heart and was wondering if we'd get to see some more upcoming stories involving him and his relationship with his father and his relationship with Julie-Su. Although I understand the comic is called Sonic The Hedghehog and is thusly Sonic-centric, it just feels that Knuckles is kinda' put on the backburner sometimes. I suppose this was more of a statement: not a good start.

2. In the same vein, what were your feelings character/story-conflict-wise when it first became apparant that Rouge was to be Knuckles's love interest in the games when in the comics he already had an established interest? (Don't worry, you can be honest, my feelings won't get hurt.)

3. Would you ever like to write material for other media or have you already been planning on that and have a few drafts and would any of it by chance be Sonic related?

4. Have you put any of your own personal experiences into the characters and their situtaions and if so could you elaborate?

5. Which of the secondary characters in the book besides B 'n' B and not including villians do you most enjoy writing for, as in whose dialogue really gets your creative spark juicin'?

That's all for now, here's hoping 167 arrives soon. Keep up the good work with the stories and good luck not stressin' over those of us in the Fandom.
Goldanas
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:00 pm

EthanEmerald wrote:In Sonic #167, Dimitri says,

"You are despicable, Lien-Da! I have not been this ashamed of my bloodline since I worked with Doctor Finitevus!"

Will we see this played up on in the present?

Yes, we will.

Goldanas wrote:I'm sure you've heard many times how you've really revitalized the chararters (alongside Tracy), and brought interesting dynamics to not only the story, but also to the well-established characters.

I believe I can speak for both Tracy and myself when I say we never get tired of hearing how pleased the fans are with our efforts. Thank you!

Goldanas wrote:1. I'm a Knuckles fan at heart and was wondering if we'd get to see some more upcoming stories involving him and his relationship with his father and his relationship with Julie-Su. Although I understand the comic is called Sonic The Hedghehog and is thusly Sonic-centric, it just feels that Knuckles is kinda' put on the backburner sometimes. I suppose this was more of a statement: not a good start.

There's a question in there - no worries. The plot points introduced in StH#165 - which address both the Julie-Su and the Locke relationships - will be followed up on. I'm currently working on a story (far in advance) that will look at the Knuckles/Locke dynamic especially - if it gets approved and all that. But this being a Sonic book, as you said, it'll take us some time to get to the Rad Red.

Goldanas wrote:2. In the same vein, what were your feelings character/story-conflict-wise when it first became apparant that Rouge was to be Knuckles's love interest in the games when in the comics he already had an established interest? (Don't worry, you can be honest, my feelings won't get hurt.)

I loved the concept - such polar-opposite characters and the sparks that could be seen between them. Add Julie-Su to the mix and you have the makings of a really fun/dangerous love triangle. As of right now, I have a pretty good idea of who "wins" in the end, so folks don't have to worry about the plot point lingering forever.

Goldanas wrote:3. Would you ever like to write material for other media or have you already been planning on that and have a few drafts and would any of it by chance be Sonic related?

I would love to write more comics and to write for other types of story-telling media. I've got an original comic or two in the process of being written and refined. As for other Sonic media . . . I can't really comment on that right now.

Goldanas wrote:4. Have you put any of your own personal experiences into the characters and their situtaions and if so could you elaborate?

I can't say I've had any direct connections in the comic, no. There is a dedication on a future issue which is very personal, but in terms of what you're asking, no. General life-long experiences, emotions, thoughts, and having grown up with the characters all impact the comic as a whole but there's nothing specific.

Goldanas wrote:5. Which of the secondary characters in the book besides B 'n' B and not including villians do you most enjoy writing for, as in whose dialogue really gets your creative spark juicin'?

You stumped me on this one for a good while. Not because I couldn't think of anyone, but because I couldn't really narrow it down. Throw any two characters together - Sally-Bunnie, Tails-Rotor, Amy Rose-Julie-Su, Uncle Chuck-Jules - and there's a scene almost written for you. Everyone brings something to the table: whether it's the history and friendship between Sally and Bunnie; the experienced handy-man and the rising prodigy of Rotor and Tails; the . . . . well, you'll see with Amy and J.S.; or two brothers who've been through the worst of it and back.

There isn't a single character I couldn't make some kind of compelling scene from, and I love this book for that.

Excellent first post, Goldanas. Welcome to the forum.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Goldanas » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:42 pm

Thanks, Ian, for both your kind words and your answers. They are both much appreciated on my part.

I gotta' say now you have me wondering about what other projects you could be working on. I suppose I can only speculate until you announce something, but either way I eagerly anticipate any of your work.

On your mention of the Julie-Su-Amy Rose (Ladies of Pink) dynamic, I gotta say that's got me up in wonder, too. It sounds all very exciting as I, myself, can only think of two possible relationships between the girls: that of a mentoring advisal situation or two girls coming together on common ground. Both of these could mean many things plot-wise and both possibilities have me greatly excited for any upcoming stories. I'm sure you'll suprise me even so. Oh, how you do peak my interest, good sir.

I hope I was vague enough, ha, keep up the good work.
By the by, should one address you as Mr. Potto or Mr. Flynn?
Goldanas
BumbleFan

Postby sonicxfactor » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:44 pm

IanPotto wrote:well, you'll see with Amy and J.S.

Does this mean you have something specifically planned for the both of them?

And Ian I just want to know if you have any stories planned for the future issues which will have no back up stories in them (e.g. issue 130)?

Also have you seen Clerks 2 and Snakes On A Plane at all? Both are really good films.
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:47 am

Goldanas wrote:By the by, should one address you as Mr. Potto or Mr. Flynn?

You may refer to me as He Who is All-Knowing, the Lord High Master of All Things, His Eminence and Gloriousness, the Eternal and Beloved BumbleKing!

Or Ian. Whichever.

sonicxfactor wrote:
IanPotto wrote:well, you'll see with Amy and J.S.

Does this mean you have something specifically planned for the both of them?

Maaaaaaaaaaybe. Certainly seems that way, doesn't it?

sonicxfactor wrote:And Ian I just want to know if you have any stories planned for the future issues which will have no back up stories in them (e.g. issue 130)?

Yes, there will be a few.

sonicxfactor wrote:Also have you seen Clerks 2 and Snakes On A Plane at all? Both are really good films.

I saw the animated series of the former, but neither of the films. No real interest in seeing Serpents Upon an Aircraft either.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius