Ask Ian #5 - The Return

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:13 am

First up was a bit I missed from the last session:

EthanEmerald wrote:-In M25YL-2, Shadow apparently has no children. I agree with this (Shadow would never desire children, IMO) and I'm curious what your reasoning was. Did you consider that Shadow's not natural-born, and theoretically reproduces asexually like his prototype, the Biolizard?

Part of the reason can be inferred after the next issue.
The other part - which is highly unofficial - is that I don't think Shadow can reproduce. In my mind, the Biolizard was designed to reproduce like mad partly from its base design (a salamander) and partly to enable quick testing. Momma dies, hatch a new one, get back to researching.

Once Gerald got a helping...claw...from Black Doom, I don't think he'd want more Ultimate Lifeform Evil Alien Spawns running around. Besides, he's the "ultimate lifeform" - he shouldn't need to reproduce.

If Sega were to contradict this - like showing that Silver is Shadow's son or something - then my speculation doesn't impact the comic and we move on happy and content.

Taco del Fish wrote:But he's like totally torturing them (or having them tortured) and he has a smile on his face about it. If he were enjoying seeing them put in prison, or something, it would probably seem less evil. Or if he was frowning while commanded Lien-Da to do it, like it was something he felt was an ugly act, but necessary. Particularly since Rotor and Cobor were old, weak men, who probably never did anything else that he would view bad, at this point. He also apparently had one of them tortured to death. And if Lien-Da did it... what's with working with him an evil Lien-Da and the Dark Legion, anyway, or will that be explained next issue?

Those old, weak men were a threat to the "present," though. They possessed the ability to undo the status quo and take King Shadow's utopia away. And as Lien-Da would've told him, they'd do it too. It's a pre-emptive action for the benefit of everyone. And, yes, he does take pleasure in punishing those that would undo his work....or potentially so. Same difference.

His reliance upon Lien-Da is out of necessity. Knuckles is an excellent Chief Enforcer of the E.S.T., but he has a virtuous streak that can make some assignments . . . cumbersome. Thus Lien-Da and her elite Dark Eyes handle matters of state King Shadow wouldn't want to "bother" Knuckles with. (The current assignment aside - that was brimming with so much poetic justice neither of them could resist)

Orion101 wrote:1. From what I heard about the Dark Legion they believe Echidna's are superior to other races on Mobious, if that is the case why would Rutan be in a relationship with a Chameleon and why would Lien-Da let him.

I'd have to re-read it again, but I believe the implication was Lien-Da didn't know they were a romantic pairing until the end. Either way, Portal seems to be a hub of various races. If Lien-Da were to excel within the new world she'd need to hide her prejudices.

Orion101 wrote:2. In Darkest Storm Nack said that now was as good a time as any to get out, given that and how easilly he seems to escape from his cell does that mean he could have escaped any time he wanted but was waiting for the right moment to make his move.

That was the implication, yes.

Orion101 wrote:3. When we saw Antoine impersonating Patch he was using wrist lasers along with the rest of the Anti-gang. I'm pretty sure these would count as guns and therefore violate his cultural beliefs. Inhabitants of the Acorn Kingdom don't believe in guns. Does this mean when having to act like Patch Antoine had to do more "questionable things" that he may not like to talk about?

I believe that was the implication, yes.

Orion101 wrote:4.In the original installment Rutan seemed to respect Dimitri and hold him in higher regard than he did his own mother. Why do you think this is?

Probably because Dimitri had become a quiet, humble, kindly old head where-as his mother was a conniving, manipulative so-and-so.

Orion101 wrote:5. You said in on the Mobious forum in another site that the Tails on Anti-Mobious had a destiny like Mobious Prime Tails does only opposite and evil. Is this something you plan on eluding to at any point or is it just an idea.

I don't think I confirmed that or said it definitively. And for right now it'd just be an idea.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby AvianTalon » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:48 pm

To jump back to a previous question/statement for a moment (my internet has been screwy lately, forgive me), on the topic of Chuck and Rosie:

I forgot to bring my comics with me to college, so I can't verify this yet, but if I remember right in the issue where Chuck and Rosie made the brief appearance in the hut, Chuck SHOULD have been on the worldwide tour with the King and Queen. In fact, I believe he reappeared at least one other time when he was supposed to be there... Anyone else remember that?

Anyway, quick question as I finally gave up on waiting for my subscription and bought newsstand copy of new issue:

Lien-Da points to a device on her arm, telling Shadow that Cobar gave it to her. I'm assuming that's what kept her from forgetting the true timeline (of M25YL.) Tails has one as well, but did he get his from Cobar as well?
AvianTalon
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:01 am

No, Tails made his own. I purposefully wrote Lien-Da's to look the same to make it easier to understand for new readers.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Sonic922 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:56 pm

Hm just thought of something:
1: Is it posible that these the new box series will bring new readers?Also is this a good thing or a bad thing since these readers would expect this to be the continuing adventures of the show and not what it is?

2: SOmething I've been thinking about for a while that may or may not have been answerd early in the book(I only have about 50 issues before 113): Does antoine come from a place where they speak french, or just a place where everyone has a bad French accent?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby sonicxfactor » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:29 pm

Hey Ian just a quick qustion when ever you finish an issue and look back at the finished product do you every say to yourself "maybe that should have done that bit differently" or do you ever feel it could have been better?

Everybody feels that way sometimes.
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby General Tekno » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:12 pm

Quickie question Ian - I KNOW you consider both Robotniks the same person, but do you think the Sonic Archives series increases the chance of the SaTAM design returning in some way or form?

I figure the answer is a resounding NO, however - I'll just dream about my idea to have him return in secret, as a new villain, and run sucessfully for President of Station Square...
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby BlueFantasy » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:04 pm

What have been your favorite artists now and in the past (in the comic)?

Were there any plot points left up in the air, or was everything that was started pretty well laid out before specific stories were written? Like, is there anything someone started that you now have to pick up with no idea where it was going?

It had to be asked... How much do you make writing for the comic? :oops:
BlueFantasy
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:12 am

Sonic922 wrote:1: Is it posible that these the new box series will bring new readers?Also is this a good thing or a bad thing since these readers would expect this to be the continuing adventures of the show and not what it is?

If anything it'll create some confusion since Sonic X and the games have been the most recent material. Short of the comic, they're the source of Sonic for the past ten-plus years. SatAM might spark new interest in the comic and its back-issues.

Sonic922 wrote:2: SOmething I've been thinking about for a while that may or may not have been answerd early in the book(I only have about 50 issues before 113): Does antoine come from a place where they speak french, or just a place where everyone has a bad French accent?

I don't believe that's been formally addressed, no. I'd have to double-check SSS#2, but no, I don't think we have a canon-explanation for the accent.

sonicxfactor wrote:Hey Ian just a quick qustion when ever you finish an issue and look back at the finished product do you every say to yourself "maybe that should have done that bit differently" or do you ever feel it could have been better?

Everybody feels that way sometimes.

You went and answered your own question! There's times when I might want to re-work a moment or a line of dialogue. But by and large each script is my best at the time. I'm always trying to improve that best, though.

General Tekno wrote:Quickie question Ian - I KNOW you consider both Robotniks the same person, but do you think the Sonic Archives series increases the chance of the SaTAM design returning in some way or form?

I figure the answer is a resounding NO,

What is it with you guys answering your questions for me? ;)

BlueFantasy wrote:What have been your favorite artists now and in the past (in the comic)?

My personal picks, just off the top of my head, have been Pat Spaz, Art Mawhinney, Stever Butler, Manny Galan and Tracy Yardley.

BlueFantasy wrote:Were there any plot points left up in the air, or was everything that was started pretty well laid out before specific stories were written? Like, is there anything someone started that you now have to pick up with no idea where it was going?

Pretty much everything you see in my first year is that. Where was Ken taking Sonic/Fiona? What did Romy intend for Anonymous? The ailing king, Tails' parents - on and on and on. I'm telling my own stories, but I'm cleaning up a lot of things at the same time.

BlueFantasy wrote:It had to be asked... How much do you make writing for the comic?

I'm paid per printed page, and I'm paid very well for it.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Nel » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:39 pm

About the 170 cover... as it was stated in the other thread, the multicolored emeralds will be the correct collers, won't they? The ones on the cover look... off. Just a nitpick.
Nel
BumbleKnight

Postby ChaosJam » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:03 am

hey Ian...first off I want to say i've been reading and collecting these comics since I was about 10 and now i'm 21 and still love them and I think your doing a great job with the stories...now some questions i have...

1. Is there any story line that you personally didn't like? It seemed, to me, the GBU storyline since u brushed that off real fast in #165.

2. If you see alot of fan support for that same story would u bring back the possibility that Issac wasn't crazy and Ivan Kintobor is in fact alive?

3. The story of Tails' being the chosen one seemed to had built up a lot of anticipation and then all of a sudden settled in two issues as a back story which, personally, didn't live up to the hype. Is that the end of Tails' Chosen One story or do you have plans to bring that back in the future?

4. When you are answer these people's question on these boards, do you take notes of what people say such as possible ideas and things to take under consideration while your creating your stories?

Thanks alot and hopefully be back with more questions for ya.
ChaosJam
BumbleNoble

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:17 am

NelStone wrote:About the 170 cover... as it was stated in the other thread, the multicolored emeralds will be the correct collers, won't they? The ones on the cover look... off. Just a nitpick.

I see a dark blue, light blue, green, silver, rose, purple and red emerald. And it's been covered since #160 that the preview covers are often a tad off from what the final product looks like. So no worries.

ChaosJam wrote:1. Is there any story line that you personally didn't like? It seemed, to me, the GBU storyline since u brushed that off real fast in #165.

I don't think there's been any story I didn't find something enjoyable or redeeming about it. The GBU storyline had some plot points I felt were more damaging than progressive and so I took care of them without dragging out the process.

ChaosJam wrote:2. If you see alot of fan support for that same story would u bring back the possibility that Issac wasn't crazy and Ivan Kintobor is in fact alive?

If there was an out-pouring of love for Issac and Ivan, then yes, I suppose we might return to them.

ChaosJam wrote:Is that the end of Tails' Chosen One story or do you have plans to bring that back in the future?

I might have a Chosen One story or two up my sleeve . . .

ChaosJam wrote:4. When you are answer these people's question on these boards, do you take notes of what people say such as possible ideas and things to take under consideration while your creating your stories?

I certainly do. That was part of the intention of this forum - to get direct response from the readers on what works, what doesn't, what they like and what they don't.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby BlueFantasy » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:41 pm

IanPotto wrote:Pretty much everything you see in my first year is that. Where was Ken taking Sonic/Fiona? What did Romy intend for Anonymous? The ailing king, Tails' parents - on and on and on. I'm telling my own stories, but I'm cleaning up a lot of things at the same time.

WOW! I must say, you are doing an absolutely wonderful job! I would think, with setting up important plot points like that, that some outline or ideas would be laid out for future writers to follow up on. That not being the case, you are doing a more than adaquate job, and going above and beyond the call of duty. Kudos! :D

Okay, question, since that's the basis of this topic. XD
You take note for yourself on what we say, but is there anything you have felt a need to bring up to Mike and the others you work with? Something you think really affects the big picture and not just your stories? You don't have to say anything specific, a yes or no will suffice. ^-^

Edit cause I thought of another one. What are your thoughts on the differences in Bunnie's roboticization between the show and the comic? Just her legs (like SatAM) makes sense, but if she eats and everything, her waist down being roboticized (like the comic) would make her die pretty quick, wouldn't it? No way to go potty! Not to mention having children...
BlueFantasy
BumbleKnight

Postby sonicxfactor » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:10 pm

Hey Ian I was just wondering that I know Archie deal with Sega America on the comic but what about Sega Japan do they have a say in what goes on in the comic?

And if it was Sega Japan dealing with the comic and not Sega America would the comic be any different from what it is now?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Sonic922 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:58 pm

2 questions on 166:

1: On the first page with shaodw, is Rotor's nose supposed to be bleeding?

2:In the Sonic and Tails, wouldn't Sonic ask if Tails was from the old "present" and not the old "future"?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:31 am

BlueFantasy wrote:You take note for yourself on what we say, but is there anything you have felt a need to bring up to Mike and the others you work with? Something you think really affects the big picture and not just your stories? You don't have to say anything specific, a yes or no will suffice. ^-^

Yes, I do.

BlueFantasy wrote:What are your thoughts on the differences in Bunnie's roboticization between the show and the comic? Just her legs (like SatAM) makes sense, but if she eats and everything, her waist down being roboticized (like the comic) would make her die pretty quick, wouldn't it? No way to go potty! Not to mention having children...

I consider it a moot point since - in my mind - the robotization process kept all of the body's functions but made them into a highly advanced mechanical process. Or, if you want to go by Ben Hurst's original intention, the robot parts were just an exoskeleton of sorts. Either way, Bunnie can do what anyone else can - just in a different way.

sonicxfactor wrote:Hey Ian I was just wondering that I know Archie deal with Sega America on the comic but what about Sega Japan do they have a say in what goes on in the comic?

And if it was Sega Japan dealing with the comic and not Sega America would the comic be any different from what it is now?

Everything has to clear both SoA and SoJ scrutiny, although I believe SoA is the primary. I can't even begin to speculate what would be different if we went exclusively through SoJ.

Sonic922 wrote:1: On the first page with shaodw, is Rotor's nose supposed to be bleeding?

Take it as you will.

Sonic922 wrote:2:In the Sonic and Tails, wouldn't Sonic ask if Tails was from the old "present" and not the old "future"?

Their present is the same. With all the time-travel involved, both of them recognize they're in a different future relative to a constant past.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius