Ask Ian #5 - The Return

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby BlueFantasy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:58 pm

Meg had Alexis before she met Elias. The comic hasn't said where "daddy" is, but unofficially he's was a casualty of Dr. Eggman's rule. Elias met Meg during his journeys and took on Alexis as his daughter.

I was sure I saw her pregnant when Geoffrey and Hershey first found him... I can't go back and look right now though.
BlueFantasy
BumbleKnight

Postby Kureejii Lea » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:34 pm

BlueFantasy wrote:
Meg had Alexis before she met Elias. The comic hasn't said where "daddy" is, but unofficially he's was a casualty of Dr. Eggman's rule. Elias met Meg during his journeys and took on Alexis as his daughter.

I was sure I saw her pregnant when Geoffrey and Hershey first found him... I can't go back and look right now though.

I think he meant that she was already pregnent before she met Elias.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby sonicxfactor » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:32 pm

Hey Ian I was wondering in issue 165 Rouge said that Issac was guarding a corpse is the doctor in the tube dead or alive?

Also I found a new Trailer of Sonic next gen
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/5833
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Sonic922 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:52 pm

sonicxfactor wrote:Hey Ian I was wondering in issue 165 Rouge said that Issac was guarding a corpse is the doctor in the tube dead or alive?

Also I found a new Trailer of Sonic next gen
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/5833

I found this on the Ask Ian's last chapter, Page 15[/quote]

Ian wrote:
nuckles87 wrote:Ian, I got a second question, this one regarding Isaac's corrupt data.

In GBU, Isaac only exhibited knowledge of Mobius's past. Why would Finitevus try to download these files out of Isaac?

Where their other files within Isaac that we will learn about later?

Was all his knowledge about Mobius's past in GBU erroneous?

Firstly, Issac would (presumably) have no detailed information than what he gave Shadow as well as exact information on how to utilize the nuclear cache Rouge disarmed. That - and heaven only knows what else - was what Finitevus was after.

Secondly, GBU presented me with a conundrum. A number of points Issac brought up either clashed with established continuity or were flat wrong, but I didn't want to completely undo all the work accomplished by Mr. Penders and Mr. Repas. So how do I retcon without retconning?

Ultimately, I decided to go the route you see in StH#165. Rouge observes that Issac had corrupted data and might be crazy. If you want to take that as the new status quo, you can trust in Rouge's spy prowess and the events that follow.

If you prefer the information given in GBU, then Rouge may be mistaken and Ivan Kintobor is in peaceful cryo-sleep for eternity and Issac's files were accurate up until the corruption, still rendering him useless to Finitevus. I'm obviously taking the former route, but I purposefully left the option open to the readers.
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby BlueFantasy » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:59 pm

I went back and looked at the issue, and Meg was indeed pregnant at that time. Thing is, Elias called the baby "My child." Not saying that you're wrong, just that your predecessors should have done better at explaining the situation. It's not even really given how long he was away. =/

Anyway, couple more questions:
1) What happened with Hershey's tail? When she first appeared she had a fluffy tail, and now it's thin. Maybe she trimmed it for field work. XD

2) How long does the writing process take? What deadlines are you given, and do you have any trouble meeting them?

3) How come I feel like a kid when I'm trying to ask you stuff, when we're the same age? :roll:
BlueFantasy
BumbleKnight

Postby sonicxfactor » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:14 pm

Hey Ian just got issue 166 today, not bad not bad at all anyway a quick question.

Its good to see Butler and Axer back in the book, as they are both my fave artists and I remember you said that they are both high in demand these days and are only down as back up artists but I just want to know if their schedules cleared up is there any chance you could convince them to draw up one or two main stories in the future?

Oh and Sega Japan have a Next gen Sonic site up.

http://sonic.sega.jp/sonic/

The soundtrack rocks, and Blaze is in this. November can’t come soon enough.
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby LunaYoshi » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:12 am

Okay, here goes. Woo, deep breaths.

1. Is there a particular reason why Sonic chose to start things up (or keep up what was already going thanks to Evil Sonic) with Fiona? Whyyyyy Fiona? It's apparent to me that there was no build-up to a Sonic/Fiona relationship. It was like... suddenly just one big suckerpunch to poor Tails, not to mention us, the readers.

And... ohh, that's all.
LunaYoshi
BumbleFan

Postby NackTheWeasel » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:27 pm

sonicxfactor wrote:Its good to see Butler and Axer back in the book, as they are both my fave artists and I remember you said that they are both high in demand these days and are only down as back up artists but I just want to know if their schedules cleared up is there any chance you could convince them to draw up one or two main stories in the future?

Dunno about Butler, but the story by Axer was done a while ago and was, unfortunatley, his last before he left the comic. I guess he just had too much other work.
NackTheWeasel
BumbleFan

Postby Sonic922 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:17 pm

NackTheWeasel wrote:
sonicxfactor wrote:Its good to see Butler and Axer back in the book, as they are both my fave artists and I remember you said that they are both high in demand these days and are only down as back up artists but I just want to know if their schedules cleared up is there any chance you could convince them to draw up one or two main stories in the future?

Dunno about Butler, but the story by Axer was done a while ago and was, unfortunatley, his last before he left the comic. I guess he just had too much other work.
\

How do you know that?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby NackTheWeasel » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:25 pm

I belive Ian might have said it. I also know that Axer definatly said that he's not drawing any more STH comics.
NackTheWeasel
BumbleFan

Postby BlueFantasy » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:04 pm

With his massive popularity, Axer probably makes more money doing his own stuff and selling it than working for the comic. Maybe.
BlueFantasy
BumbleKnight

Postby sonicxfactor » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:44 pm

NackTheWeasel wrote:I belive Ian might have said it. I also know that Axer definatly said that he's not drawing any more STH comics.

Did Axer really say that?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:36 pm

The Alexis Thing wrote:
IanPotto wrote:Meg had Alexis before she met Elias. The comic hasn't said where "daddy" is, but unofficially he's was a casualty of Dr. Eggman's rule. Elias met Meg during his journeys and took on Alexis as his daughter.

BlueFantasy wrote:I was sure I saw her pregnant when Geoffrey and Hershey first found him... I can't go back and look right now though.

Kureejii Lea wrote:I think he meant that she was already pregnent before she met Elias.

BlueFantasy wrote:I went back and looked at the issue, and Meg was indeed pregnant at that time. Thing is, Elias called the baby "My child." Not saying that you're wrong, just that your predecessors should have done better at explaining the situation. It's not even really given how long he was away. =/

Firstly, it was poor word choice on my part. Meg had conceived Alexis before she met Elias. We came about that conclusion since, even in the nebulous comic-time, Elias wasn't gone long enough to meet, interact, love, and produce a child. The "my child" line, as I'm taking it, shows Elias's commitment to his family.

It's also the result of the plot point passing through three writers and two editors. That's the current word on the situation, though.

BlueFantasy wrote:1) What happened with Hershey's tail? When she first appeared she had a fluffy tail, and now it's thin. Maybe she trimmed it for field work. XD

Minor shift in character model.

BlueFantasy wrote:2) How long does the writing process take? What deadlines are you given, and do you have any trouble meeting them?

Depends on the project. On average, with all the preliminary work completed and in place, it takes me a weekend to hammer out the rough draft of a lead story, a day for the back-ups. That's provided I get an uninterrupted weekend/day.

The entire process from springboard/pitch, breakdowns, drafts and final revisions can takes weeks to months.

BlueFantasy wrote:3) How come I feel like a kid when I'm trying to ask you stuff, when we're the same age?

Because I am a terrifying god-king of the interweb?

sonicxfactor wrote:any chance you could convince [Steve Butler and Jef Axer] to draw up one or two main stories in the future?

That's not my call to make. I'd love to have them both, of course. Both are very busy from my understanding, though, so for now their work ont he book may be infrequent.

LunaYoshi wrote:1. Is there a particular reason why Sonic chose to start things up (or keep up what was already going thanks to Evil Sonic) with Fiona? Whyyyyy Fiona? It's apparent to me that there was no build-up to a Sonic/Fiona relationship. It was like... suddenly just one big suckerpunch to poor Tails, not to mention us, the readers.

Quick answer: It's a plot point inherited, saw some fun potential in, and ran with.

Answer That You're Probably Looking For: I think it was a knee-jerk reaction on Sonic's part. He didn't get the girl, and more-over, he was violently rejected by the girl. Sonic is a creature of success, so a part of him needed to fill the void.

I think that Fiona isn't a "good girl" also played into it. In reaction to cutting things off the a rule-oriented leader, he goes for the devil-may-care, not-so-spotless-record type. Fiona is the rebound, essentially, with Sonic honestly not wanting to hurt any feelings - just moving too fast to think about them.

As for why Fiona is with Sonic (it's a two-way street after all), Ken touched upon it some in the past and I'll be following up on it a little myself.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby BlueFantasy » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:55 pm

Personal opinion, I think it says a lot about Fiona's character that she was able to get over her anger at Sonic and actually be with him. And I don't think Sonic is being reasonable in the least, and it's going to blow up in his face. >_>'

Question: Do you get to see/have any say over the artist's depiction of your script? Or is that all up to the editor.

2) Have you submitted anything that has been turned down?

BTW, thanks for the clear, sensible answer about Elias and his family. =3 I can just imagine Max and Alicia pushing him to have another kid, then Alexis's jealousy... all in the future. @_@
BlueFantasy
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:42 am

BlueFantasy wrote:Question: Do you get to see/have any say over the artist's depiction of your script? Or is that all up to the editor.

Depends on the artist. Tracy and Jim Amash were both very gracious (exceedingly so) in showing me their early pages. In those cases I can give my input to Mike who takes it into consideration with his own thoughts, the artists' intentions, and what works for the comic over-all.

Otherwise it goes straight to Mike who makes the judgement calls. If he wants my input on a page, panel, or whatever he'll show me the page and we go from there.

Ultimately, though, I trust the art teams to bring my vision to the page, and I've never been disappointed!

BlueFantasy wrote:2) Have you submitted anything that has been turned down?

Sure. I'd say maybe one out of every five things is turned down on concept and most everything else is highly revised once approved. That's just the writing process, and it makes for a better product in the end.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius