Ask Ian #5 - The Return

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Faded-Myth » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:01 pm

It's all a plot. A plot to lead Ian into a false sense of security. We've been working on him for years, slowly luring his mind into "Relax" mode, slowly gaining his trust by offering the occasional toffee treat. One day, when the time is right...

OH NO! I just revealed the plan! *Hits Ian over the head with a frying pan*

Why didn't we just do that from the start?
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Kureejii Lea » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:09 pm

Faded-Myth wrote:*Hits Ian over the head with a frying pan*

Because then you'd have me to deal with. :twisted:
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Sonic922 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:41 pm

After seeing the new previews, ithink this is on everybody's mind:

How did you get the Job for Sonic X?

Also since i'm asking questions:
Is 171's title based on the song from Shadow the Hedgehog?
Will there be anything built up in the upcoming issues that won't be tied up in 175?
Is the "Chaotix Caper" the same thing as the "Chaotix Connection"?

Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Goldanas » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:36 pm

Faded-Myth wrote:OH NO! I just revealed the plan! *Hits Ian over the head with a frying pan*

My question is, what exactly are you planning on doing with him now?

I would hope it doesn't involve lotion and a hose.
...Too passé for my tastes.

Also, TheSlyder, there's a small chance Ian might redirect you to the Table of Contents he worked so very hard on. Small chance. :)
Goldanas
BumbleFan

Postby TheSlyder » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:38 pm

I spent an hour reading through the table of contents. I'm only one man, and it's a lot easier for him to say "Excuse me STFU." than for me to spend three hours reading through questions just to make sure I don't re-ask something.

Edit: Okay, after spending another thirty minutes or so reading through the table of contents, I still see no questions relating to Ian's portfolio, or anything of that matter (Except a question or two about Other-M, and Ian stating that he doesn't want to discuss it in order to protect it.)

Goldanas wrote:I would hope it doesn't involve lotion and a hose.
...Too passé for my tastes.

I read that as "Lotion and a horse."

Last edited by TheSlyder on Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheSlyder
BumbleFan

Postby Faded-Myth » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:49 pm

Did Currieeukelele just make a pass at me? Wait till Ian hears about this!
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:43 pm

nuckles87 wrote:Ian, why did you kill off the characters you killed off (aside from GBU dudes and Mecha, we already know those pretty well). Why didn't you just write them out of the story or ignore them, since your the sole writer.

Is there anyone you're thinking of in particular that I haven't addressed in Script Bits?

nuckles87 wrote:Speaking of Bean, why DID you use him and Bark anyway? There where other B villains still available (Nic, haven't heard from her in awhile. She's...not dead is she?! )

At the time, we didn't have any B-listers. Check out the Script Bits! for those issues.

We'll find out more about Nic's current situation before StH#175.
EthanEmerald wrote:So what I'm asking... do you think that time will ever come? (Sonic vs. Eggman for all the chips)

Yes. Yes, I do.

TheSlyder wrote:Ian: Who was responsible for killing off that female terminatoresque sidekick/daughter/thing that Robotnik had made? Because they deserve all the praise in the world. Just seeing that character made me want to kick puppies in the face.

As stated in Script Bits!, the execution orders were handed down by the editor. I fought (a little) for M since I thought we could still do something fun with her. Ultimately, though, I was very content with her death scene.

TheSlyder wrote:I'm very curious about your application process with Archie, if you don't mind sharing the information, may I ask what some of your past work you used for reference when applying? Do you know if there was one thing in particular that got you the job?

The short version: I had no past publishing experience (to speak of) and applied purely with improvised scripts for three years until I got my foot in the door. The biggest thing in my favor, aside from the writing strength, was my tenacity.

The long version can be found in the Ask Ian threads or in various interviews online.

TheSlyder wrote:Is there any stuff I can read that you've written other than the current Archie comics, and Other-M (Which I recently started reading, it's difficult to figure out what's going on in a lot of the panels, but it seems pretty good so far.)

Not yet, no. I'm working on that.

OMG Secret Message?! wrote:I also wrote a good bit of fan-fic back in the day, if you can find that. I can't/don't want to acknowledge it for possible legal reasons.

TheSlyder wrote:One more thing, I want to let you know that I think it's pretty cool that you're willing to chill on an active message board openly with fans to discuss things. That's a pretty rare occurance, and I for one am thankful for it.

I'm glad you do. It's something that bolsters my spirit and can really put a shine on the day.

Faded Myth wrote:It's all a plot. A plot to lead Ian into a false sense of security. We've been working on him for years, slowly luring his mind into "Relax" mode, slowly gaining his trust by offering the occasional toffee treat. One day, when the time is right...

OH NO! I just revealed the plan! *Hits Ian over the head with a frying pan*

You. Box. NOW!

Sonic922 wrote:How did you get the Job for Sonic X?

Mike asked me to pitch in on an issue or two. As far as I know, Joe Edkin is still the primary on SX.

Sonic922 wrote:Is 171's title based on the song from Shadow the Hedgehog?

That and his monologues at the end of each storyline.

Sonic922 wrote:Will there be anything built up in the upcoming issues that won't be tied up in 175?

Ooooooooooooooooh yes.

Sonic922 wrote:Is the "Chaotix Caper" the same thing as the "Chaotix Connection"?

Yeah, I just got them mixed up. My bad!

TheSlyder wrote:I spent an hour reading through the table of contents. I'm only one man, and it's a lot easier for him to say "Excuse me STFU." than for me to spend three hours reading through questions just to make sure I don't re-ask something.

Guys, guys, guys...

In the first thread it points out you can Ctrl+F (WIN) or Apple+F (MAC) and do a search for keywords. You can't read through the whole thing.

Faded Myth wrote:Did Currieeukelele just make a pass at me? Wait till Ian hears about this!

Hear about what, Box Girl?
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:03 pm

Box Girl...

No.
No...

No, it's WAY too easy... :o

Postby TheSlyder » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:48 pm

IanPotto wrote:In the first thread it points out you can Ctrl+F (WIN) or Apple+F (MAC) and do a search for keywords. You can't read through the whole thing.

Is that a challenge I smell? >: D

The reason I didn't Ctrl + F is because the summaries of the subjects in the table of contents are often worded so differently than the questions/discussions, the times I have tried to Ctrl + F something other than a vague subject (Such as "Spaz") it was a fruitless attempt. Blahblahblahexcuseexcuseexcuse, etc.
TheSlyder
BumbleFan

Postby Faded-Myth » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:28 am

For the record, I am currently wearing a shirt that states in big black bold font over a white, silky smooth cotton background; "I read through the ENTIRE "Ask Ian" Table of Contents...and survived!"

Now the only thing that can make me look like an illiterate idiot is myself.

Darn.

Forever yours,

-Box Girl
Last edited by Faded-Myth on Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Goldanas » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:07 am

Those were some tough pages to read through, I'll admit. But if you've got some time on your hands (like if you're waiting for membership approval), then it's a fairly informative read. Not to mention, all the crazies this board attracts (Read: Resident Faux-Woman). :(hearty laughter): and at the same time :twisted:

Thanks for the Bean thread, Ian. Hilarity.

Also, a question:
I've noticed you have a firm grasp on the characters within your stories, regardless of whether or not they've been established. So I'd like to know how the characterization process works for you. Do you spend some time on it? Do you review other sources of media, take notes on real events and people? Do you sketch out reactions? Etc., etc.
Goldanas
BumbleFan

Postby BlueFantasy » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:35 pm

Wow, silliness everywhere. X3

I actually DID read the whole contents and stuff, but I don't recall if this question was in there: Since you had Sonic and Fiona together in Other-M, was it easy for you to pick it up in the Archie comics? Did it make you happy? Did Ken take the idea from you? :twisted:
BlueFantasy
BumbleKnight

Postby sonicxfactor » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:24 pm

Ian just a quick question.

I know Mammoth Mogul escaped from the egg grapes but what about Ixis Naugus, did he escape as well or is he still trapped/dead/planning an escape?

And what about Mogul when’s he gonna next show up?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby ChaosJam » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:25 pm

hey Ian...i was just considering this...at this time in the comics...what r the possible ages for most of the main characters? i mean u can only be 16 for so long...and how the comic has matured alot and their styles have changed they must be getting older...so if i can ask for the original freedom fighters (Sonic, Sally, Tails, Rotor, Bunnie, Antoine), Knuckles and the Chaotix and possibley a rough estimate where Robotnik and Snively stand in with age at this point...thank you
ChaosJam
BumbleNoble

Postby General Tekno » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:11 am

Wait - Mogul's out?

My impression was that he'd just stopped protecting the Destructix from the grapes - and I'd guess that Naugus is powerful enough to shield himself as well.
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius