Daily Dose of Ian - For Inquisitive Minds!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Orion101 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:32 am

Hello Ian I finally got on this board, great to be here now on to the questions.

1. How powerful is Merlin Prower, the only magic I have seen is when he transformed the fake Tails into Turbo Tails. Is he in the same league as Ixis Naugus when normal.

2. Has the prophecy of the Chosen One actually been stated in the comic itself, Athairs description in the Tails mini series is the closest thing to it I've seen but that was more of a description of Mobius's history than a prophecy. Do you plan to have someone speek the prophecy so fans can at last hear what it is. By the way that wasn't a fan suggestion it was just a question, can't be too careful.

3. In your opinion did Scourge(when he was Evil Sonic) plan ahead when he switched places with Sonic, becuase his actions seemed very short sighted. He had to have known that Patch would return soon and being in an identical situation would notice the sudden change in Sonic and put two and two together. What do you think Scourge would have done in that situation.

4. Do you find it ironic that out of the group of anti freedom fighters Antione prime ssemed to do better against him then the rest of the gang even when he was holding back.

5. Seeing as how they were founding members of the Chaotix how do you think the team feel about the death's of Heavy and Bomb?
Orion101
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:55 am

Orion101 wrote:1. How powerful is Merlin Prower, the only magic I have seen is when he transformed the fake Tails into Turbo Tails. Is he in the same league as Ixis Naugus when normal.

Merlin's power relies more in manipulation of forces already there - tugging and pushing elements to get an end result he wants. The power of Turbo Tails was within, and he simply pushed it forward. Thus, Merlin is as powerful as the situation he's in.

Orion101 wrote:2. Has the prophecy of the Chosen One actually been stated in the comic itself, Athairs description in the Tails mini series is the closest thing to it I've seen but that was more of a description of Mobius's history than a prophecy. Do you plan to have someone speek the prophecy so fans can at last hear what it is. By the way that wasn't a fan suggestion it was just a question, can't be too careful.

The Prophecy was pretty much stated (cryptic as it was) in the Tails mini-series. We know the Chosen One is to bring about the Great Harmony and it somehow involves the Chaos Emeralds.

Orion101 wrote:3. In your opinion did Scourge(when he was Evil Sonic) plan ahead when he switched places with Sonic, becuase his actions seemed very short sighted. He had to have known that Patch would return soon and being in an identical situation would notice the sudden change in Sonic and put two and two together. What do you think Scourge would have done in that situation.

No, there doesn't seem to be any evidence he was much of a planner. If in the event Sonic hadn't returned home and the ruse continued, I would think E.Sonic and E.Antoine would ultimately agree (spoken or unspoken) to stay out of each other's way. They would eventually betray that, of course, but that would be the initial result of the mutual discovery.

Orion101 wrote:4. Do you find it ironic that out of the group of anti freedom fighters Antione prime ssemed to do better against him then the rest of the gang even when he was holding back.

I'm assuming that irony was the primary though behind that one Bollers/"Lee" story.

Orion101 wrote:5. Seeing as how they were founding members of the Chaotix how do you think the team feel about the death's of Heavy and Bomb?

Nobody seems very broken up about them. They didn't seem to stick around long except for their brief time with St. John's team.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Buster-Blader » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:14 pm

Will we ever see cross over stories. I saw some Sonic covers that had Spawn on it. I think it was Super Special #7. Can we ever see Sonic and Spider-Man in the same comic?
Buster-Blader
BumbleNewbie

Postby Orion101 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:56 pm

1. Sorry I meant to write do you find it ironic that Antoine Prime did better against Sonic then the rest of the gang in the Anti-Freedom fighters even when he was holding back.

2. Will we see Rob OHedge return soon?

3. Will we see any villain vs villain fights?
Orion101
BumbleFan

Postby General Tekno » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:53 am

OK, I've got a few new ones.

1. If Scourge returned to his original universe, what effect would his new abilities have on the balance of power? Would he be able to take out Dr. Kintobor and resume leadership of the evil FFs? And for that matter, WOULD or WILL he want to return?

2. Regarding Mogul... - there's spoilers here I guess -
If he can keep the Egg Grapes from killing himself and his minions, why can't he just break out of the Egg Grapes?

3. What's your interpretation on the power granted by Chaos Emeralds? As to what I mean, Penders implied in the early Knuckles stories that the power was infinitely supplied, while Bollers seemed to imply (by his future plans for the series) that Chaos Emeralds could run out of power. What's your thoughts here?

Oh, and by the way, I like how you've revitalised Eggman so far - he's an actual DECENT VILLAIN now! Hooray! I've gained more respect for him![/quote]
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:16 am

Buster-Blader wrote:Will we ever see cross over stories. I saw some Sonic covers that had Spawn on it. I think it was Super Special #7. Can we ever see Sonic and Spider-Man in the same comic?

Not in the foreseeable future. The Image crossover came about because the right people were already in contact with one another, and Jim Valentino had the authority to make it work on his end. I would think it alot harder to get it to work with Marvel or DC.

Orion101 wrote:1. Sorry I meant to write do you find it ironic that Antoine Prime did better against Sonic then the rest of the gang in the Anti-Freedom fighters even when he was holding back.

I'm not following, I'm sorry to say. I remember Antoine faced off against E.Sonic in an attempt to impress his father, and him fending off E.Antoine in the background when the Anti-FF first showed up. I don't recall Antoine ever taking on the Anti-FF himself. Can you give me an issue number?

Orion101 wrote:2. Will we see Rob OHedge return soon?

I hope so, but not this year.

Orion101 wrote:3. Will we see any villain vs villain fights?

Outside of StH#163? Yes.

General Tekno wrote:1. If Scourge returned to his original universe, what effect would his new abilities have on the balance of power? Would he be able to take out Dr. Kintobor and resume leadership of the evil FFs? And for that matter, WOULD or WILL he want to return?

I really wish I could give you a detailed response, but I'm sitting on a story concept that would answer just that. I don't know if/when it would run, but there's no way I can dance around the issue without potentially spoiling something. Suffice to say - bad things would happen.

General Tekno wrote:2. Regarding Mogul... - there's spoilers here I guess - If he can keep the Egg Grapes from killing himself and his minions, why can't he just break out of the Egg Grapes?

No worries about the spoilers. I consider the grace period over. Mogul has just enough power to keep the bio-field deletion at bay - but that's it. The question then becomes how long can Mogul hold out?

General Tekno wrote:3. What's your interpretation on the power granted by Chaos Emeralds? As to what I mean, Penders implied in the early Knuckles stories that the power was infinitely supplied, while Bollers seemed to imply (by his future plans for the series) that Chaos Emeralds could run out of power. What's your thoughts here?

The Chaos Emeralds are sources of (effectively) limitless magical energy - period. How that power is utilized hinges entirely on the user (Enerjak's creation notwithstanding). An imperfect machine would only be able to utilize a fraction of the power - or overload and release the energy in a spectacular explosion. I would presume the same would hold true for biological siphons with only a few elite mobians (Sonic, Tails, etc.) able to safely use the power.

There may be a limit to the Chaos Emeralds' power, but it is so vast that it would take very special circumstances (again, Enerjak) to fully drain them of their power.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:33 am

IanPotto wrote:I'm not following, I'm sorry to say. I remember Antoine faced off against E.Sonic in an attempt to impress his father, and him fending off E.Antoine in the background when the Anti-FF first showed up. I don't recall Antoine ever taking on the Anti-FF himself. Can you give me an issue number?

Ooh, I can do this one. It's from issue 151, where Antoine is fighting alongside the Anti FF against Sonic, whom they think is Anti Sonic. Out of all of them, Antoine (pretending to be Anti Antoine) does the best against Sonic.

Oh, and a question as well. Anti Sonic now has the power of the Master Emerald. Does this make him a living Chaos Emerald the same way it did Knuckles back when he was green? And if that's the case, if Scourge ever found out how to completely tap into that power, would he be able to be a sort of godmodder that Knuckles was at the time of the transformation?

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:49 pm

W.W. wrote: Ooh, I can do this one. It's from issue 151, where Antoine is fighting alongside the Anti FF against Sonic, whom they think is Anti Sonic. Out of all of them, Antoine (pretending to be Anti Antoine) does the best against Sonic.

Ahhh...in that case, yes, it's delightfully ironic that Antoine got the upper hand.

W.W. wrote:Anti Sonic now has the power of the Master Emerald. Does this make him a living Chaos Emerald the same way it did Knuckles back when he was green?

No, he doesn't. He was in the process of turning Super when Locke violently interrupted him using the Master Emerald's energy as well. (see the trails of energy off Locke's knuckle-claws? That's it.)

The interrupted transformation left Scourge with the new design and a realignment of this thoughts - the edge that's made him such an accepted departure from E.Sonic.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Dirk Amoeba » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:45 pm

Ok, so you say the TDS grace period is over? Well, then, I have questions!

1) When you were given the duty of explaining Anonymous, what other characters did you consider and why did you decide against them?

2) Was the ultimate decision based in any way on your initial reaction to Anonymous's introduction in issue 135?

3) Will we learn more about A.D.A.M.'s origin (the explanation we were given seems vague in retrospect) and the point at which he turned rebellious?

4) A.D.A.M. claims that TDS was a victory, but it seems otherwise: All he did was eliminate the Walkers and the Source, and he failed to eliminate Sonic and Robotnik. He even made Naugus and Mogul more powerful by taking them out of their seperate inprisonments and confining them together. Why was that a victory?

5) Can you give us a little info on the upcoming Graphic novels, such as issues, format, or at least when they'll be officially announced?
Dirk Amoeba
BumbleFan

Postby sonicforever » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:12 pm

Why did you use the Julian design on the last page instead of the current Eggman design? I know this cause quite a comotion as numerous forums were excited that the original Robotnick was Anonymous. I mean using the current Robotnick's design would have made things a lot more sense to me.

Any chance you could give Sonic some new moves (well new for the comic anyway) such as the blue tornado attack thing from Heroes or even better yet something completely outside what Sega has tryed to do with him? It is a stupid question but oh well.

Will Blaze be making any future appearences in the comics?
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:18 am

Dirk Amoeba wrote:1) When you were given the duty of explaining Anonymous, what other characters did you consider and why did you decide against them?

We pretty much went through the entire rogues gallery and discussed who made sense or was appropriate for the role. Seeing how Anonymous and A.D.A.M. existed throughout the plans of three different writers, that made things tricky. A.D.A.M., ultimately, was the only one with the resources to viably create the Anonymous persona and its effects.

Dirk Amoeba wrote:2) Was the ultimate decision based in any way on your initial reaction to Anonymous's introduction in issue 135?

Not at all. In StH#135, I was quite certain Romy was bringing back SatAM-Robotnik.

Dirk Amoeba wrote:3) Will we learn more about A.D.A.M.'s origin (the explanation we were given seems vague in retrospect) and the point at which he turned rebellious?

If I can, I'll touch on his origin, but it's not really necessary. As for his reasoning for all this, that'll come to a head this year.

Dirk Amoeba wrote:4) A.D.A.M. claims that TDS was a victory, but it seems otherwise: All he did was eliminate the Walkers and the Source, and he failed to eliminate Sonic and Robotnik. He even made Naugus and Mogul more powerful by taking them out of their seperate inprisonments and confining them together. Why was that a victory?

The Walkers and the Source were commodities that were beyond Eggman/A.D.A.M.'s control and have only served to aid our heroes in the past. Now there is now high-level magical source of help for Sonic & Co. - except the Chaos Emeralds, and Eggman (and this A.D.A.M.) have been able to use those in the past.

Mogul has been returned to the power-level of his first appearance, which is a step up from his last appearance. I'll grant you that. Naugus, however, is only so powerful outside of the Zone of Silence. And now both of them are trapped in soul-sucking machines that require all of Mogul's power and attention to keep at bay. Their power, their very beings, are now at A.D.A.M.'s disposal.

Sonic lives, and Eggman as a target is more of a long-term goal. So in that light it isn't a total victory but he's still made significant gains. Additionally, things have been built towards his ultimate objective.

Dirk Amoeba wrote:5) Can you give us a little info on the upcoming Graphic novels, such as issues, format, or at least when they'll be officially announced?

I've told all I know.

sonicforever wrote:Why did you use the Julian design on the last page instead of the current Eggman design? I know this cause quite a comotion as numerous forums were excited that the original Robotnick was Anonymous. I mean using the current Robotnick's design would have made things a lot more sense to me.

When Anonymous first was "shown," I thought it was rather clear that the intention was Classic-Robotnik. Anonymous maintaining that nebulously Ivo form was sticking to the continuity of theme.

sonicforever wrote:Any chance you could give Sonic some new moves (well new for the comic anyway) such as the blue tornado attack thing from Heroes or even better yet something completely outside what Sega has tryed to do with him?

I'm not a big fan of Sonic throwing out new named moves. Whatever Sega puts out there, I'll try to be true to, but when I'm writing him in action I want the moves to feel natural. The mechanics of the Blue Tornado, just to use your example, always felt very clumsy to me so it's unlikely I'll be using it (or exactly it) in the future.

sonicforever wrote:Will Blaze be making any future appearences in the comics?

I'd love to see it, but there are no plans as of right now.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:04 am

Hey, guess what? My subscription FINALLY delivered #164. Today. Yeah, the 20th of July. -.-;;

Anyway, I have a TON of questions about Anonymous. So, if there's anybody else out there who has a late-delivering subscription and hasn't yet recieved a copy of #164, I'd advise you to read no further.

So, then.

1. How does Finitevus tie into this? Why was he included into the cover of TDS if he wasn't at all a part of the story? (Or was he?)

2. How did ADAM have a "body" that was approximately the size of Eggman if he's only a virus? Was he controling a Shadow-bot? Swatbot? Eggpawn? Or does he have control over another character?

3. Is Sir Connery dead? Like -- dead dead? I know you already said you'd usually be sticking to the dead=dead rule, but this could be an exception. Eh?

4. When is ADAM's plan for Sonic and Eggman's annihilation going to commense?

5. How did ADAM manage to roboticize the Destructix back in #135?

There's my five. And hey, thanks for answering my questions. TDS really raised a lot of confusion.
Last edited by EthanEmerald on Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby General Tekno » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:11 pm

Just another question on ADAM's origin - I know you probably don't want to say much though... how accurate is Eggman's assertion that he accidentally created ADAM?

I've got a couple of ideas for alternate ADAM origins but I'm pained because I can't share them...
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:25 pm

EthanEmerald wrote:1. How does Finitevus tie into this? Why was he included into the cover of TDS if he wasn't at all a part of the story? (Or was he?)

It's something I'm working on, but for now, we'll simply say it was a red herring.

EthanEmerald wrote:2. How did ADAM have a "body" that was approximately the size of Eggman if he's only a virus? Was he controling a Shadow-bot? Swatbot? Eggpawn? Or does he have control over another character?

Step back and take this step-by-step. Who presented all the "video evidence?" A.D.A.M. Who showed the Ivo-like projection at the end of TDS? A.D.A.M. Who has lied through his non-existant teeth for a long while now? A.D.A.M.

Thus - there was no "large, Robotnik-sized form." It was all fabricated.

EthanEmerald wrote:3. Is Sir Connery dead? Like -- dead dead? I know you already said you'd usually be sticking to the dead=dead rule, but this could be an exception. Eh?

Yes. You saw his vaporized remains escaping into the atmosphere. He was declared dead by both Merlin and Mogul (by proxy) - who would be the ones to recognize a magic-based death.

And after the moment of glory I gave him on his way out, I wouldn't cheapen his sacrifice by bringing him back.

EthanEmerald wrote: 4. When is ADAM's plan for Sonic and Eggman's annihilation going to commense?

Soon.

EthanEmerald wrote:5. How did ADAM manage to roboticize the Destructix back in #135?

See the answer to #2.

General Tekno wrote:how accurate is Eggman's assertion that he accidentally created ADAM?

That's something I'm working on, so I can't really speak on it right now.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Dirk Amoeba » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:36 pm

IanPotto wrote:
EthanEmerald wrote:5. How did ADAM manage to roboticize the Destructix back in #135?

See the answer to #2.

So.... you're saying they weren't robians at all, but robotic copies like the Tommy Infiltrator?

Oh, and will we be seeing the name "Robo-Dyne Systems" again? I never really got what was up with that.
Dirk Amoeba
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius