Daily Dose of Ian - For Inquisitive Minds!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Scribbles » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:41 pm

Hello! Long-time fan and short-time lurker. I'm VERY impressed by the way you handle things, here. This is my first time asking a question simply because everything I've wanted to know thus far (that I actually wanted revaled to me/you would answer) has been covered. I love how you're so in touch with us all and your direction with the comics has been AWESOME! I haven't been so excited to buy issues of Sonic in years.

Fanbabbles aside...

The cover issue of 169 seemed to indicate an appearance of Turbo Tails (about which I am UNBELIEVABLY excited... Tails has been nothing short of neglected by previous writers and you don't do that at all and gah, I can't explain how grateful I am). But my question is, why does he appear his usual orange color? Shouldn't he be much redder with yellower trim? His appearance in issue 57 (I think, forgive me) had the color alteration. My real question is... has Turbo Tails' look officially changed or is it just artistic inconsistency? Is this going to be fixed or is it intentional?

Thanks, Ian!
Scribbles
BumbleFan

Postby General Tekno » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:04 pm

For that matter, when and why DID Tails' color change in comic continuity from brown/yellow to orange/white?

EDIT: It seems to have occured around Sonic 94-95. But it doesn't answer WHY.

EDIT 2: And strangely, in Sonic Adventure's adaptation he's also orange/white but goes back to brown/yellow. WHAT'S THE STORY HERE!?!?!?
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby Scribbles » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:56 pm

I can give a vague answer for that; inconsistent continuity. Tails in the games has always been consistently orange and white, but for some reason the SatAM palette left the little guy brown and yellowed. Since the Archie comics started around the same time SatAM was in production (I think) it seemed natural to use their colors. SegaSonic wasn't nearly as big for a long time until Sonic Adventure, and so when Sega canon was being pressed (SA adaptation), the Archie team probably wanted to emulate the SegaSonic feel.

Why he went back to brown after that for a time, I cannot answer, though...
Scribbles
BumbleFan

Postby Kureejii Lea » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:43 am

Yeah, I don't think you're gonna find a continuity answer to that, or why Knuckles/Espio/Charmy/Vector's eyes changed colour... or why Gala-Na changed so drastically (yes, it was a while ago, but it was such an extreme change that it still bugs me. It basically looks like the colourist went "Well, gee, I've already got Knuckles' pallette on hand, what the heck..."). Some changes just have to reflect those made elsewhere.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:03 pm

Orion101 wrote:1. When you were talking about the facts that Issac brought up being flat out wrong were you talking about the time frame from the Xorda attack.

No, the general time-line works well enough for me.

Orion101 wrote:2. Also is Issac now gone for good, ealier you said you would explain why Issac tried to kill Sonic but was friendly to Shadow.

You'll have to link me to that - I don't recall being that specific. But, the simple answer is, Issac was crazy. Or, as I believe can be infered in GBU, Issac felt a certain commradery with a fellow constructed "lifeform."

Orion101 wrote:3. Are we going to get any insight on Nic or Nack's history?

I'd like to, but I don't know when.

Orion101 wrote:4. You know how Merlin used a spell to turn Tails into Turbo Tails, how come he can't just do that any time he wants?

I think the circumstances were special at the time. They were in close proximity to Green-Knuckles, Merlin was already communing with Athair (a direct link to the Chaos Force), and the Tails he tried to transform was a doppleganger manifested by Mogul's Chaos Energy.

That's alot of room to fudge the rules.

Orion101 wrote:5. Niether Vector or Julie Su seem to trust Rouge, do you find that ironic also will this be touched on later.

Ironic? No. And if I have time/room/reason, I will touch upon it.

EthanEmerald wrote:I too am curious what you thought was "flat out wrong" in GBU.

Namely, and chiefly, was the origin of the Chaos Emeralds. Irradiated beryl + mutated human genome-turned-hedgehog = Super Sonic? No. Not at all.

NackTheWeasel wrote:Hmm... I was wondering about that myself recently.
Note: THese are not questions I want answered now, But I'd like to know in a future issue!
Did Nack kill his own parents?
Are his parents alive?
Did somebody else kill them?
How did Nic and Nack get to loathe each other so much?
Why is Nack a bounty hunter/assassin?

These are all questions I'd like to address one day since I do have thoughts/plans for/about Nack. It's simply a matter of time before we get to them - or find we can't get to them.

EthanEmerald wrote:Tough chance. There's only one person I know of who cares about a single one of those questions you just asked. -Cough-

Aside from myself? Watch that cough. It could send you to The Box.

EthanEmerald wrote:Have they been officially changed to blue, now?

Yes.

Scribbles wrote:My real question is... has Turbo Tails' look officially changed or is it just artistic inconsistency? Is this going to be fixed or is it intentional?

I think part of that is just the pre-printing colors being especially bright. If you recall, the preview pages for StH#160 were almost neon-bright, but printed out nicely in the final book. I think that and a minor tweak may come about in the future.

General Tekno wrote:For that matter, when and why DID Tails' color change in comic continuity from brown/yellow to orange/white?

With the demise of SatAM, it makes sense the book would begin to gravitate towards its most constant exposure in other media.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:12 pm

Wah! No, not The Box!

Do you know what that means, Faded-Myth? It means I may have a chance to get to know you a lot better, now that I've been threatened to your Summer Home! :twisted:
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby General Tekno » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Well, I didn't really see an inconsistency with the origin for the Chaos Emeralds... it fits with the one given in the Tails miniseries.

How do YOU envision their creation then? I'll put you on the spot.
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby nuckles87 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:08 am

Or rather, a less specific question...

Do you plan on elaborating on the origin of the chaos emeralds some day in the future?

Also, do you plan on filling up the plot holes GBU was meant to fill, that where caused by the Xorda and all that malarky, as because GBU is no longer cannon, the time plotholes created by the Xorda story remain?
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby Kureejii Lea » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:46 pm

General Tekno wrote:Well, I didn't really see an inconsistency with the origin for the Chaos Emeralds... it fits with the one given in the Tails miniseries.

Who said it was an inconsistancy? I think it was more of a matter that objects that had pretty much been presented as some kind of magical talismans were suddenly described as nothing more than radioactive minerals. The emeralds across various continuities have been described as being capable of granting wishes, bringing about miracles, listening to prayers, responsing to one's own inner heart... to give them an origin such as "irradiated beryl" doesn't fit that theme. There's no mysticism in that.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:00 pm

I agree. The Beryl/Gene Bomb reaction did seem to take away the mystifying magic of the chaos emeralds, and replaced it with a dry scientific explanation.

Then again, you never know the power and abilities of alien technology.
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Dirk Amoeba » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:17 am

I thought that the "irradiated beryl" theory was quite appropriate, based on my interpretation that Ken was hinting that the so-called "radiation" was actually Isaac's term for Chaos Energy.

Because it's clear that Xorda technology (and therefore the gene-bomb) is Chaos-based. The fact that a Xorda device (the Quantam Dial) caused Sonic to teleport (::cough::chaoscontrol::cough::) a vast distance made this pretty obvious. Issue 126 confirmed that Chaos Emeralds weren't specific to Mobius, and that they originated from space.

Since the gene-bomb ended the "Earth" era of the planet and began the "Mobius" era, it's fair to say that the Chaos Emeralds were formed around that time. After 125, I instantly surmised that the Chaos Emeralds were a by-product of the gene bomb. Looks like Ken made the same assumption and tried to make it canon. Pity Ian's retconning it. The idea that the Xorda brought Chaos Energy to Earth doesn't make Chaos Energy any less mystical, in my opinion.

I'm going to continue to consider Isaac's interpretation canon unless it's directly contradicted by a more reliable source within the book itself. I'm glad Ian's giving us that option.
Dirk Amoeba
BumbleFan

Postby Faded-Myth » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:51 am

I'm just gonna say none of the space voodoo worked for me at all. Chaos Emerald's as Mobius-specific, magical talismens is far more romantic a notion than superheated rocks. Blehg. How boring.

Here's a note I hope certain writers will play along to: don't try to explain everything. It's far too boring when you know how things work and where everything came from. Destroys a lot of illusions.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby General Tekno » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:19 am

Dirk Amoeba wrote:I thought that the "irradiated beryl" theory was quite appropriate, based on my interpretation that Ken was hinting that the so-called "radiation" was actually Isaac's term for Chaos Energy.

Because it's clear that Xorda technology (and therefore the gene-bomb) is Chaos-based. The fact that a Xorda device (the Quantam Dial) caused Sonic to teleport (::cough::chaoscontrol::cough::) a vast distance made this pretty obvious. Issue 126 confirmed that Chaos Emeralds weren't specific to Mobius, and that they originated from space.

Since the gene-bomb ended the "Earth" era of the planet and began the "Mobius" era, it's fair to say that the Chaos Emeralds were formed around that time. After 125, I instantly surmised that the Chaos Emeralds were a by-product of the gene bomb. Looks like Ken made the same assumption and tried to make it canon. Pity Ian's retconning it. The idea that the Xorda brought Chaos Energy to Earth doesn't make Chaos Energy any less mystical, in my opinion.

I'm going to continue to consider Isaac's interpretation canon unless it's directly contradicted by a more reliable source within the book itself. I'm glad Ian's giving us that option.

Great analysis. This interpretation works for me.
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby Sonic922 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:42 pm

2 quick questions

1:Were you trying to suggest Julie Su was about to curse at the end of "Leak" before rouge interupts her?

2: Were you disapointed that Tracy did something that looked more like a genisis than a gaamecube or Item box on the first page of Ties that Bind?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:51 pm

General Tekno wrote:Well, I didn't really see an inconsistency with the origin for the Chaos Emeralds... it fits with the one given in the Tails miniseries.

How do YOU envision their creation then? I'll put you on the spot.

The vision Tails had during his mini-series showed a Mobius ruled by "mobosaurs" wiped out by the Chaos Emeralds falling meteor-like upon them. The initial life-form rising from the muck could conceivably fit with post-Gene Bomb Earth - a world covered with the genetic soup of a world decimated. The mobosaurs aren't a hinderance - they're wiped out and the "cave man" mobians rise after them and it all works from there.

But unless Issac's "irradiated beryl" shot into space and fell back down, it doesn't fit. Nor do I think the Gene Bomb would've created the type of energy necessary (or in amount) to create even one Chaos Emerald.

I have my own origin story for them (naturally) but I don't want to give that out right now. It may be used later on. I would prefer, however, to leave their origin unexplained. It's as Faded-Myth said:

Faded-Myth wrote:Chaos Emerald's as Mobius-specific, magical talismens is far more romantic a notion than superheated rocks. Blehg. How boring.

Here's a note I hope certain writers will play along to: don't try to explain everything. It's far too boring when you know how things work and where everything came from. Destroys a lot of illusions.

nuckles87 wrote:Also, do you plan on filling up the plot holes GBU was meant to fill, that where caused by the Xorda and all that malarky, as because GBU is no longer cannon, the time plotholes created by the Xorda story remain?

Nothing markedly "off" during the Xorda story spings to mind. What are you thinking of specifically?

EthanEmerald wrote:I agree. The Beryl/Gene Bomb reaction did seem to take away the mystifying magic of the chaos emeralds, and replaced it with a dry scientific explanation.

Then again, you never know the power and abilities of alien technology.

That's just it though. We've seen the Chaos Emeralds create entire pocket-dimensions (Triple Trouble special). How can any weapon, which has already spent the majority of its power wiping out biological life on a planet, leave that kind of radiation? If the after-burn of the thing can make reality-warping gemstones, the weapon ought to have annihilated the entire planet.

Dirk Amoeba wrote:I thought that the "irradiated beryl" theory was quite appropriate, based on my interpretation that Ken was hinting that the so-called "radiation" was actually Isaac's term for Chaos Energy.

The problem is equating Issac's "radiation" with the Chaos Energy. If Issac were to base all observations on early 21st century understandings of radioactive materials, I could understand the mistake on his part. In that event, I wouldn't have needed to add the corruption caveat in StH#165; Issac was wrong to begin with.

If we are to argue that Issac was correct, that the Chaos Emeralds are irradiated beryl deposists, we have to then ask "irradiated by what?" The Chaos Emeralds have shown properties that cannot be achieved by any radioactive materials in the real world. This leaves us with three options:
1) The Gene Bomb was a magic-based weapon, which seems out of theme for the Xorda
2) It's "comic book science" in which irradiated spiders give you spider-powers and gamma rays turn you green and invulnerable.
3) Issac was wrong and we wipe our hands of the mess.

Dirk Amoeba wrote:Because it's clear that Xorda technology (and therefore the gene-bomb) is Chaos-based. The fact that a Xorda device (the Quantam Dial) caused Sonic to teleport (::cough::chaoscontrol::cough::) a vast distance made this pretty obvious.

There is no direct connection between the Chaos Emeralds and Xorda technology. The Quantum Dial was designed to create a black hole to swallow Mobius.

StH#125, Page 13, Panels 1-6 - Xorda speaking wrote:Behold the Quantum Dial. Greast of Xorda weapons. Once its gears have activated -- the arm of the dial will proceed to advance -- rupturing the space-time continuum. Once it has completed its rotational cycle -- the rift will create a black hole -- to gobble Earth and her entire star system. Good riddance.

Space-time ruptures do not necessarily equal Chaos Control. If anything, it touches upon the theory of black holes punching through space-time to create "worm holes." The point is certainly debateable - there's alot of grey areas - but I don't see enough material to place much faith behind the "Chaos Control Dial."

Dirk Amoeba wrote:Issue 126 confirmed that Chaos Emeralds weren't specific to Mobius, and that they originated from space.

That, for me, was the key piece of information that undid Issac's "irradiated beryl" later on. This is assuming that - on at least one other world - the Xorda used the same technology to create the same effect (or similar enough) on an alient world. And if the Red Thoraxian Chaos Emeralds were any indication of the direction Karl was taking the book, there'd be five other worlds that suffered the same fate with (nearly) identicle results.

Dirk Amoeba wrote:m going to continue to consider Isaac's interpretation canon unless it's directly contradicted by a more reliable source within the book itself. I'm glad Ian's giving us that option.

Which was certainly half my intention with the way it was written. Understand, though, I am working off the version that Issac wasn't firing on all transistors and thus am not limited to the GBU information.

Sonic922 wrote:1:Were you trying to suggest Julie Su was about to curse at the end of "Leak" before rouge interupts her?

Whatever are you talking about? You know we can't do such things in this book.

:D

Sonic922 wrote:2: Were you disapointed that Tracy did something that looked more like a genisis than a gaamecube or Item box on the first page of Ties that Bind?

Hardly. The in-jokes or easter eggs are the last on my list of things to have "done right." I wanted Snively to be diddling with some kind of visual joke and that's exactly what I got. The notion of me being disappointed in Tracy's art is hilarity in and of itself!

Now let's get back to construction of the golden idol in his image. You'll see why in future issues if you've not been converted yet.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius