Daily Dose of Ian - For Inquisitive Minds!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby nuckles87 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:42 pm

Ian, I got a bit o a question.

When Sonic talks about his past not being stellar, is he refferring to any events that have happened in the comic?

I recall Sonic has been a boon on a few occasions (stealing the sword of acorns, then getting it lost, disobeying King Acorn and Sally on numerous occasions), but overall he has been a good guy. Does it have anything to do with any plots we have yet to see?
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby Faded-Myth » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:48 pm

I personally think he's just talking about his overall attitude and the way he's handled things in the past with a less than mature approach. He's no different to everyone else in that he acts on impulse, probably even more so than anyone... He's hurt Sally, disobeyed orders, made ill judgement... Those are the sorts of thngs you do when your young.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Ed Bellis » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:07 pm

Hi Ian! Just getting back to this place - I stayed away for fear of spoilers, since I just now got 165 - but I'm glad my words could make you happy. =) Thus far, you're still keeping me going with this really tightly-paced issue. Apart from the minor gaffs previously discussed (which aren't even that big a deal), I think it's your best one yet, honestly.

Now here's my question, again going back to the Egg Grapes scene: Mogul's gone, the spider-ninjas are dead, the Destructix is freed... what about Naugus?
Ed Bellis
BumbleFan

Postby Kamal » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:06 am

IanPotto wrote:
Kamal wrote:While it was a very well written issue overall, there were quite a number of technical errors, your scene for example, as well as a number of misattributed word balloons.

Yes, three is a number. (Page 6, Panel 3). Otherwise things lined up spot-on. Issac was colored silver rather than gold and there's the Egg Grape issue we've addressed already. There were some hiccups, but not enough to undermine the purpose of the book.

Sorry, bad choice of words. Yes, the purpose of the story was served very well. I really like the seeds of doubt Scourge planted in Sonic's head. Likewise, Rouge and Julie-Su. It almost makes it seem as if Rouge's "defection" was planned...

Any comments you can make about that?

P.S. It's also nice to again see Locke acting like his old insincere, manipulative self again. :P I'm definitely going to want to see the script-bits for those last two pages.
Kamal
BumbleFan

Postby nuckles87 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:16 am

Ian, I got a second question, this one regarding Isaac's corrupt data.

In GBU, Isaac only exhibited knowledge of Mobius's past. Why would Finitevus try to download these files out of Isaac?

Where their other files within Isaac that we will learn about later?

Was all his knowledge about Mobius's past in GBU erroneous?
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby Faded-Myth » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:13 am

nuckles87 wrote:Where their other files within Isaac that we will learn about later?

Is it just me, or does nobody seem to care for surprise and mystery these days? =P I mean, if Ian was to answer a question like that, it's not exactly the same as somone whispering "Kong dies" discretely in your ear...
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:04 am

nuckles87 wrote:When Sonic talks about his past not being stellar, is he refferring to any events that have happened in the comic?

I recall Sonic has been a boon on a few occasions (stealing the sword of acorns, then getting it lost, disobeying King Acorn and Sally on numerous occasions), but overall he has been a good guy. Does it have anything to do with any plots we have yet to see?

You were right in the beginning: Sonic is referring to his occasional brushes with the law. There was the incident with the Sword of Acorns, and I was also thinking of his brief time being tried for treason during "Mecha Madness." Sure, he got off scott free, but for a time he was in serious trouble.

Eric Bell wrote:Now here's my question, again going back to the Egg Grapes scene: Mogul's gone, the spider-ninjas are dead, the Destructix is freed... what about Naugus?

That was unclear writing on my part. (That whole page seems to be a problem) Mogul abandoned the Destructix by no longer protecting them from the Egg Grapes. Dr. Finitevus arrived just in time to rescue them. So right now Mogul and Naugus are in the Egg Grapes, barely protected by Mogul's power.

Kamal wrote:It almost makes it seem as if Rouge's "defection" was planned...

Any comments you can make about that?

This brings us to an issue further down/else-thread. Stay tuned.

nuckles87 wrote:Ian, I got a second question, this one regarding Isaac's corrupt data.

In GBU, Isaac only exhibited knowledge of Mobius's past. Why would Finitevus try to download these files out of Isaac?

Firstly, Issac would (presumably) have no detailed information than what he gave Shadow as well as exact information on how to utilize the nuclear cache Rouge disarmed. That - and heaven only knows what else - was what Finitevus was after.

Secondly, GBU presented me with a conundrum. A number of points Issac brought up either clashed with established continuity or were flat wrong, but I didn't want to completely undo all the work accomplished by Mr. Penders and Mr. Repas. So how do I retcon without retconning?

Ultimately, I decided to go the route you see in StH#165. Rouge observes that Issac had corrupted data and might be crazy. If you want to take that as the new status quo, you can trust in Rouge's spy prowess and the events that follow.

If you prefer the information given in GBU, then Rouge may be mistaken and Ivan Kintobor is in peaceful cryo-sleep for eternity and Issac's files were accurate up until the corruption, still rendering him useless to Finitevus. I'm obviously taking the former route, but I purposefully left the option open to the readers.

Faded-Myth wrote:Is it just me, or does nobody seem to care for surprise and mystery these days? =P I mean, if Ian was to answer a question like that, it's not exactly the same as somone whispering "Kong dies" discretely in your ear...

That's an issue I've seen else-forum and I've been thinking about a good bit. I've started a thread that will present some options and decide our course of action for the foreseeable future.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Sonic922 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:20 am

IanPotto wrote:
nuckles87 wrote:Ian, I got a second question, this one regarding Isaac's corrupt data.

Firstly, Issac would (presumably) have no detailed information than what he gave Shadow as well as exact information on how to utilize the nuclear cache Rouge disarmed. That - and heaven only knows what else - was what Finitevus was after.

Secondly, GBU presented me with a conundrum. A number of points Issac brought up either clashed with established continuity or were flat wrong, but I didn't want to completely undo all the work accomplished by Mr. Penders and Mr. Repas. So how do I retcon without retconning?

Ultimately, I decided to go the route you see in StH#165. Rouge observes that Issac had corrupted data and might be crazy. If you want to take that as the new status quo, you can trust in Rouge's spy prowess and the events that follow.

If you prefer the information given in GBU, then Rouge may be mistaken and Ivan Kintobor is in peaceful cryo-sleep for eternity and Issac's files were accurate up until the corruption, still rendering him useless to Finitevus. I'm obviously taking the former route, but I purposefully left the option open to the readers.

Is this the end of GBU then? With Issac either crazy and looking over(and talking to)Kintobor's corpse, or guarding Kintobor in suspeneded aqnimation for eternity. It's clever, I just figured GBU had more potential when I read it.
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:56 am

Sonic922 wrote:Is this the end of GBU then?

As far as I intend for it, yes. Who knows what might happen years down the road or what another writer might want to do.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Orion101 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:02 pm

1. When you were talking about the facts that Issac brought up being flat out wrong were you talking about the time frame from the Xorda attack. If so the reason it is different is becuase according to Ken time passes differently in different parts of space that's why Sonic was only travelling for a few weeks in his mind while a year passed on Mobious. In my opinion the new time fram makes sense as Mammoth Mogul was established as being 10,000 years old in his first appearence and 3,00 years is nowhere near long enough for the history of Mobious. What's your take.

2. Also is Issac now gone for good, ealier you said you would explain why Issac tried to kill Sonic but was friendly to Shadow. It's a shame if he is gone for good though having an actually crazy robot would have made an interesting character.

3. Are we going to get any insight on Nic or Nack's history?

4. You know how Merlin used a spell to turn Tails into Turbo Tails, how come he can't just do that any time he wants?

5. Niether Vector or Julie Su seem to trust Rouge, do you find that ironic also will this be touched on later.
Orion101
BumbleFan

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:35 pm

I too am curious what you thought was "flat out wrong" in GBU. Everything seemed to fit and work perfectly in continuity. I made a timeline a while back that can prove it: http://www.emeraldcomics.com/timeline.htm
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby NackTheWeasel » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:05 pm

Orion101 wrote:3. Are we going to get any insight on Nic or Nack's history?

Hmm... I was wondering about that myself recently.
Note: THese are not questions I want answered now, But I'd like to know in a future issue!
Did Nack kill his own parents?
Are his parents alive?
Did somebody else kill them?
How did Nic and Nack get to loathe each other so much?
Why is Nack a bounty hunter/assassin?

Or maybe speculating is more fun...
NackTheWeasel
BumbleFan

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:31 pm

Note: THese are not questions I want answered now, But I'd like to know in a future issue!

Tough chance. There's only one person I know of who cares about a single one of those questions you just asked. -Cough-

Nack and Nic aside, I've been meaning to rant about the coloring recently.

Jensen... It's hard to say this, but I feel he's been getting a lot worse. It seems he only fills with gradients and uses his shine tool on everything. Sometimes it's starting to look really sloppy, I say. The environments lack the vibrant depth and texture. The characters lack shading. I can't quite pinpoint what it is that seems so sloppy nowadays, but perhaps he's been getting bogged down in all of the pages to color.

However, on the other hand, all of the special effects seen in The Darkest Storm are FANTASTIC.

Don't get me wrong, I can't do any better. Although I'm the colorist of Krudzu Crisis, I'm still an amateur in the learning. But critically speaking I feel the coloring should be left to the Rays.

Say, speaking of coloring, it's time for an actual question! What of Sonic's eyelids? Have they been officially changed to blue, now? I much prefer the fleshy color, but I can understand the decision if it's to make another move towards the SEGA style.

Anyway, I'll stop ranting now. ;)
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby General Tekno » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:43 pm

Well, they WERE blue originally if you notice- then they changed them to fleshy for a while, then back to blue more recently.
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:20 pm

You're absolutely correct. But, also take into consideration that the blue to fleshy eyelid change was a part of the Super-Emerald reaction back in Sonic #71 when Sonic gained his Sonic Adventure appearence. However, the recent switch back to blue was unexplained. Sure, it's just a minor detail, but it's still something I take note of.
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius