Daily Dose of Ian - For Inquisitive Minds!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby General Tekno » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:51 pm

Even still, it may not be a bad idea to figure out a way to explain that "error" in the comic itself - after all, most people don't go to this forum and may be going "hunh?".
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby Faded-Myth » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:59 am

IanPotto wrote:Thank you! And it's "choreographed."

This coming from the guy who's never heard of "Motion paths', and whose informal spelling is attrocious ;) *whistles innocently*

And yeah. That's one of the reasons I really hated Ron Lims art... There was no dynamic visual effects or variation in the action. Either it was mostly mid level close ups, or the character running with a few straight lines. Conversely, Tracy's art screams exagerated poses and stances, with simple yet stylish and attractive movement. It looks ALIVE.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby EthanEmerald » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:46 am

Faded-Myth wrote:
IanPotto wrote:Thank you! And it's "choreographed."

This coming from the guy who's never heard of "Motion paths', and whose informal spelling is attrocious ;) *whistles innocently*

Remember, though, he has Magic Fingers. :wink:
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Faded-Myth » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:10 am

Just like Mammoth Mogul has Bristley Tusks. Every morning he polishes them with his Mammoth Tusk Polishing Kit.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby ME » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:18 pm

Hmmm..... I know i havn't posted anything in a long time on either this or Ken's board, but I just cant think of anything to post. I mean now that DST is over the comic has slowed down again to its usual pace.

I suppose i should say something since this is the ask Ian section. Hmmmm? What else have you worked on? How did you break into the industry? Were you like Stan Lee who was just a kid who worked there doing odd jobs until someone took pitty on you and let you prove your worth? or did you just apply and get hired?

Also on a not question area, thank you for making the comic something I enjoy reading again, instead of something I buy out of a obligation to keep an old friend in print.
ME
BumbleFan

Postby Kal Jenko » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:06 pm

Just a quick question Ian, In StH #120, Mighty tells Julie-Su how he hopes to one day find out what happened to his family… any chance you will be picking up on this, maybe in a backup story?

And also did we ever learn what Constable Remington secret was from his past (KtE #24); if not will you be answering this on your run on the comic?

Thanks a lot in advance
Kal Jenko
BumbleNewbie

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:27 pm

ME wrote:I suppose i should say something since this is the ask Ian section. Hmmmm? What else have you worked on? How did you break into the industry? Were you like Stan Lee who was just a kid who worked there doing odd jobs until someone took pitty on you and let you prove your worth? or did you just apply and get hired?

Also on a not question area, thank you for making the comic something I enjoy reading again, instead of something I buy out of a obligation to keep an old friend in print.

Thank you for the compliments, as always! All your questions have been covered already in previous threads, though.

Kal Jenko wrote:Just a quick question Ian, In StH #120, Mighty tells Julie-Su how he hopes to one day find out what happened to his family… any chance you will be picking up on this, maybe in a backup story?

I'd like to address it sometime in the future, but I don't know when we might do so.

Kal Jenko wrote:And also did we ever learn what Constable Remington secret was from his past (KtE #24); if not will you be answering this on your run on the comic?

It was my understanding that the secret was Remington's father, which (in the comic) has been heavily hinted to be the late Kragok and unofficially confirmed by Ken Penders. I do hope to address that issue as well one day.
Last edited by Ian Flynn on Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Faded-Myth » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:35 am

Durr! i liek to past on teh forums and i live in THE BOX!!!!

(obviously not editted by a moderator who threatens people with The Box. Obviously.)
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Kamal » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:17 am

IanPotto wrote:4) The scene in StH#165 was an error.

While it was a very well written issue overall, there were quite a number of technical errors, your scene for example, as well as a number of misattributed word balloons. What I'm trying to ask is, after your script is submitted and approved, how much more involvement do you have on that story? Or wished you had? Not to marginalize Mike's efforts but the original author would seem to be the highest authority as to the accuracy of the finished product.
Kamal
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:41 am

Kamal wrote:While it was a very well written issue overall, there were quite a number of technical errors, your scene for example, as well as a number of misattributed word balloons.

Yes, three is a number. (Page 6, Panel 3). Otherwise things lined up spot-on. Issac was colored silver rather than gold and there's the Egg Grape issue we've addressed already. There were some hiccups, but not enough to undermine the purpose of the book.

Kamal wrote:What I'm trying to ask is, after your script is submitted and approved, how much more involvement do you have on that story? Or wished you had? Not to marginalize Mike's efforts but the original author would seem to be the highest authority as to the accuracy of the finished product.

Usually very little. On occasion there are tweaks that have to be made well after the fact for various reasons. I've talked with Tracy a few times to tweak the "finished" product to result in something better visually. But everything from last-minute word changes, balloon placement, coloring, etc. is enforced by Mike. If I have special notes on anything, I try to include them in the scripts, but I have not authoritative control over the production once it's out of my hands.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Faded-Myth » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:10 pm

*Gasp* WHY YOU!!!! *shakes fist in rage*

XD

Hah! What's funny is Ian went and edited his post, which is the very reason there was originally no edit function ;) I place my cards on the table sir, and demand three quarters of your wealth, a donkey to carry said wealth, and a hand drawn pic of Princess Sally.

Having said that, I return this thread to it's regularly scheduled topic.
Last edited by Faded-Myth on Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:11 pm

Faded-Myth wrote:Durr! i liek to past on teh forums and i live in THE BOX!!!!

(obviously not editted by a moderator who threatens people with The Box. Obviously.)

Business as usual.

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:30 pm

Faded-Myth wrote:*Gasp* WHY YOU!!!! *shakes fist in rage*

XD

Hah! What's funny is Ian went and edited his post, which is the very reason there was originally no edit function Wink I place my cards on the table sir, and demand three quarters of your wealth, a donkey to carry said wealth, and a hand drawn pic of Princess Sally.

Having said that, I return this thread to it's regularly scheduled topic.

You do realize the donkey would be more valuable than its burden, right? I might just do that Sally pic, though. I'll add it to my list of Sonic-things-to-do today - including the next Script Bits.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Faded-Myth » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:43 pm

Omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg...etc

I love you man.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:13 pm

Seconded! =D
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight