Daily Dose of Ian - For Inquisitive Minds!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:15 pm

I know you never said it but it jsut seemed like that is the paht you might go down after your first 5 issues.

Hey bud, I don't know what you're reading, but I'm reading a fantastic comic titled Sonic the Hedgehog. It's not all action, and certainly isn't "look Robotnick is stealing the chaos emeralda again! quick lets go round them up, change into super sonic, and defeat him for the 1 millionth time" as you made the comparison to. And from my perspective, Ian Flynn has done an impeccable job of managing character; he has my compliments. Again, Sonic the Hedgehog is most-definitely not 100% action.

Oh and btw I know I kinda sound like I don't like your reading and all, but in all honesty it is good and I really hope it gets even better.

I don't know if it can get any better... I think Ian just hit the ultimate with The Darkest Storm... Teheheh. ;)

Edit: Ohp! 100th post! :o
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Faded-Myth » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:33 am

Actually, I preferred issues 160 and 161 more than the Darkest Storm. Not because TDS was an inferior piece of writing, mind you. I LOVED it. Adored it. But 160 and 161 was just...beautiful. Old school charactesr duking it out with some funny lines, a pinch of drama, and Tracy Yardley!'s fantastic art to compliment Ian's amazing work.

But that's just me.

I have to say that I have been a bit concerned about the lack of SatAM characters gettin a word in, but I've also been quick to defend Ian in the past by BEING PATIENT. Ian's got a plan of action to follow out, and from the looks of it it involves cleaning up a few loose ends and getting things ready so he can start working on taking Sonic in his own direction.

A lot of people seem a bit concerned Ian's focussing on the bad guys more than the good guys, and they've commented that really a wrtier should display that he has a handle on the heroes first and formost when he begins his tenure. That makes sense to some degree, but as far as I'm concerned, the Archie Sonicverse has been in a bit of a mess lately, particularly with the bad guys, and getting the villains sorted out is probably one of the most important things to deal with first since it gives the heroes a more solid and definate and clear threat to deal with. In an action adventure series, where it's all about good-vs evil, the bad guys are just as important.

At any rate, my point is, if the FF don't exactly get the spotlight just yet, just wait. Once Ian's stories start to really fall into place, the cleaning up of the game board that's occured over the past 5 issues will probably allow our favourite characters to have more than their time in the spotlight.

But that's just my opinion.

That said, any chance of Sally shaking her booty for the fans any time soon Ian? I'd be satisfied with that.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:35 am

Teheheheh! -Raises a supportive flag-
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Kamal » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:58 am

I third the notion.

I really don't care if she and Sonic get back together this year or even next year. (Mike's tacit endorsment of M25YL has informed us of the ultimate destination, anyway) I just want people to stop seeing Sally as this useless chara who slapped the main hero. Over two years and she can't even apologize?

GWAR rant rant rant...
Kamal
BumbleFan

Postby Faded-Myth » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:11 am

Heh, I stumbled across this pic of you earlier Ian ( http://www.heroesonline.com/Images/cust-of-week-pix/cust-of-week-flynn-smiling.jpg ) and I have to admit, that's a way past cool smile you got. I was talking to Wonder Wario about it earlier, and I have to admit, we geeks have the best smiles. Why? because they're natural. They're sincere. Geeks like to have fun and we don't try to prtend to be people we're not. And I think that makes for a good smile.

Why am I saying this? i don't know. It may be the alcohol.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Buster-Blader » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:45 pm

Faded-Myth wrote:Heh, I stumbled across this pic of you earlier Ian ( http://www.heroesonline.com/Images/cust-of-week-pix/cust-of-week-flynn-smiling.jpg ) and I have to admit, that's a way past cool smile you got. I was talking to Wonder Wario about it earlier, and I have to admit, we geeks have the best smiles. Why? because they're natural. They're sincere. Geeks like to have fun and we don't try to prtend to be people we're not. And I think that makes for a good smile.

Why am I saying this? i don't know. It may be the alcohol.
Or denial...

Anyway, on to the questions!

1. Ian, can you please not kill Mina?

2. Are there going to be anymore super specials?

3. Where can I get all of the past issues of this comic?

4. Have you ever met Ken Penders? If so, did you ask him why he made the comic so horrible over the past years?

5. Is it possible that the SatAM cartoon could be revived?
Buster-Blader
BumbleNewbie

Postby Kureejii Lea » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:48 pm

You make it sound as though it were announced that Mina would be killed. o_O
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:28 pm

Buster-Blader wrote:1. Ian, can you please not kill Mina?

There aren't any plans to kill her off....or are there!?

No, there are not.

Buster-Blader wrote:2. Are there going to be anymore super specials?

Maybe. It all depends on how well the new trade paperbacks sell. (see below)

Buster-Blader wrote:3. Where can I get all of the past issues of this comic?

We're workin' on putting out trades of all the past issues. The last I heard, the first book will be out sometime late-late summer/early fall, but that can change. If you don't want to wait that long, you can always hit up your local comic shop(s) or eBay for backissues. The issue order form in each Sonic comic should also have a few full-year runs for order.

Buster-Blader wrote:4. Have you ever met Ken Penders? If so, did you ask him why he made the comic so horrible over the past years?

No, I haven't. The second part of the question is a) a matter of opinion and b) borderline rule-breaking. If you have to tear down somebody's work, you need to give some hard reasons why.

BusterBlader wrote: 5. Is it possible that the SatAM cartoon could be revived?

I deeply, sincerely doubt it. Crazier things have happened, but personally I am certain the show is long gone.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:54 pm

HOLY! ALL of the past issues? Is that meaning all of the issues from issue #1 through to the present issues?!

WICKED CRAZY.

If so, that means after I complete my collection of the comics (I still need to obtain the first 19 and 25-29 to complete it) I'll then have a new goal set to collect tons of TPB's! Goody! :roll:
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Buster-Blader » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:49 pm

Buster-Blader wrote:4. Have you ever met Ken Penders? If so, did you ask him why he made the comic so horrible over the past years?

IanPotto wrote:No, I haven't. The second part of the question is a) a matter of opinion and b) borderline rule-breaking. If you have to tear down somebody's work, you need to give some hard reasons why.
It may be a matter of opinion, but most people would agree with me that Ken Penders has been slacking off with the Sonic comics as of late. Take a look at all of the recent comics he has wrote before you. They pretty much had horrible reviews.

I loved Ken's stories at the beginning of the Sonic comics, but now he makes horrible stories. You even said yourself that you would make the comics better. So you probably do admit that Ken's storytelling for the comics are horrible. Unless you have a different opinion on Ken Penders?
Buster-Blader
BumbleNewbie

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:14 pm

EthanEmerald wrote:HOLY! ALL of the past issues? Is that meaning all of the issues from issue #1 through to the present issues?!

Given the time and favorable sales, yes, we should hopefully revisit the whole series. New word on the street is they'll be ready by Christmas time. Joy!

Buster-Blader wrote:It may be a matter of opinion, but most people would agree with me that Ken Penders has been slacking off with the Sonic comics as of late. Take a look at all of the recent comics he has wrote before you. They pretty much had horrible reviews.

The general climate online may have been unfavorable, but that isn't nearly the majority of feedback we receive. The Sonic online fandom is a loud voice, and we listen, but it's not the only one.

Buster-Blader wrote:You even said yourself that you would make the comics better.

Quote me. If I did make such a brash claim, it was in poor taste. I'm aiming to make the book the best it's ever been, but that is by no means a knock against past creatives' efforts.

Buster-Blader wrote:So you probably do admit that Ken's storytelling for the comics are horrible. Unless you have a different opinion on Ken Penders?

I admit nothing when words are put into my mouth. Ken is a hard-working individual who has contributed an insane amount to the ArchieSonic mythos and it was his writing that got me into the book.

I know there have been high and low points in the series, and nobody will like everything about it. If posters must revisit the past negetively, then it must be done with examples and explanations. I don't want to get ban-happy on this board - it's generally very well behaved - but the recent small rash of pure-negative posting is getting me cranky.

You liked the stuff? Great! Why?
You didn't like it? I'm sorry to hear that. Why?

I mean it. F'r real.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicforever » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:27 pm

Actually I am kinda happy he has put more time on the villians. Not to metnion Eggman is now worthy of carrying the Robotnick name so to speak which given how he had been handled in the past is a big thing.

I actually thought Penders writing was pretty good. Sure there were some bad issues but hey everyone is going to miss sometimes. Same would have gone for Bollers except he kinda exited with a giant thud.

With all the stuff you have to do for the comic and what not, do you even have time for gaming anymore?

What all comics do you have in your collection besides the Sonic stuff and what is the rarest comci you have?
sonicforever
BumbleFan

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:31 pm

Fresh new question. Erm... questions?

Who's currently apart of the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog team? Who are the current writers (only you?) and who aren't anymore, yet still have stories to be published in future books? Which artists are on the team right now, and which still have page-art in the inventory for future-use? You probably don't know exactly, but I'm hoping you have a general idea of whom.

Keep us updated on this, please? ^^
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Buster-Blader » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:01 pm

IanPotto wrote:Don't worry guys, I'll make the comic better.
Told ya so. Now you owe me a dollar! :P
Buster-Blader
BumbleNewbie

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:07 pm

Uh huh. Then, tell us exactly where you quoted that from so we can read it for ourselves.
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius