Daily Dose of Ian - For Inquisitive Minds!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Daily Dose of Ian - For Inquisitive Minds!

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:18 am

Newest "Ask Ian" thread. You people are ravenous!
Last edited by Ian Flynn on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

First question

Postby EthanEmerald » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:53 am

First question for Ian:

What's the answer to one question about SONIC you don't want us to know the answer to?

Good luck with that. XD
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Sonic922 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:25 am

Ooh.. Second question, an dthird and 4th

1: Can I(or anyone else) open a spoilers tart a Anonymous discussuion if it has a spoiler tag in the title?

2: Ok, this one needs a tag:
Spoilers wrote: Now that Dr. Eggman introduced his Egg Hawk and Egg Fleet? Will we be seeing a Sonic heroes adaption? Or just other things from the game(Egg Albatross,Egg Emperor)?

3:Spoiler too:
Spoilers wrote:Can we asume that Sonic won the race against Jet since Sonic Riders isn't canaon and the Knothole isn't torn up?

4:
Spoilers wrote:When does everyone actually meet Anonymous? It's before 175 right?

5:
Spoilers wrote:Will the Babylon Rogues come back?

6:This one may be to direct to answer:
Spoilers wrote:Is Anonymous definitely Robotnik or was A.D.A.M just using his sillouette for some reason?

7:Don't know if this needs a tag, but just to be sure
Spoilers wrote: Will we be seeing Athair soon?

8: And finally:
Spoilers wrote:Do you know if that picture of Anonyous was the same on the first page and the last?

Tha's it for now, I really hope the tag works!
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:01 pm

EthanEmerald wrote:What's the answer to one question about SONIC you don't want us to know the answer to?

The answer is: Yes.
Now - what was the question?

Good luck with that ;)

Sonic922 wrote:1: Can I(or anyone else) open a spoilers tart a Anonymous discussuion if it has a spoiler tag in the title?

If you want to. A week after 12th I'll be considering the information pretty much as known as it can get. If you don't want to wait that long, knock yourself out.

Sonic922 wrote:Spoilered Question #1

Nope, no adaptation. Just some of those elements as need be.

Sonic922 wrote:Spoildered Question #2

Yes.

Sonic922 wrote:Spoilered Question #3

Maaaaaaaybe.

Sonic922 wrote:Spoilered Question #4

I hope so, but not this year.

Sonic922 wrote:Spoilered Question #5

I'll say here what I said at SHQ:

Spoiler Answer wrote:The "Robotnik" shown on the last page is intended to show A.D.A.M. falsified the images of the Robotnik-like person. I cannot stress this enough - SatAM Robotnik is NO MORE and A.D.A.M. is Anonymous.

Sonic922 wrote:Spoilered Question #6

See? No.

Sonic922 wrote:Spoilered Question #7

Fairly certain, yes.

For future reference - for everyone - don't do that. It makes updating the Table of Contents a pain in the butt and it really makes no sense. If you've got a spoiler-heavy question to ask, wait it out until everyone has caught up.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby EthanEmerald » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:07 pm

IanPotto wrote:
EthanEmerald wrote:What's the answer to one question about SONIC you don't want us to know the answer to?

The answer is: Yes.
Now - what was the question?

Good luck with that ;)

Curses! Foiled again! =D
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby sonicforever » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:11 pm

Well that HAD made TDS great. :?

The comics and the games still have WAY too many characters. Unfortunately it seems the comics are pushing some of the older characters (Bunnie, Ant, Rotor) out for the newer guys (Fiona, Shadow). I mean did Ant, Bunnie, or Rotor even have one line in any of the stories you have done so far? I know you are trying to make the comic more SegaSonic but that is why a lot of us like it. It is at least in my opinion more interesting then the games storylines are and it is the only thing of SATAM any of that shows fans will ever have to go with.

Anyway questions.

How soon in advace of the release date do you get the storylines for the Sonic games? Or do you just have to wait till it comes out like the rest of us?
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:29 am

First and foremost, let me address a general concern I've seen around, namely the fear I'm phasing out the ArchieSonic cast in favor of the SegaSonic one. Given that I've said I'd like to work more SegaSonic elements into the book and lack of prominence of the ArchieSonic cast, I can somewhat understand that. However, there are some points that have been overlooked.

- I've said in the past that I won't be phasing out the SatAM group despite the move for more SegaSonic elements. Repeatedly.

- In terms of TDS, compare the amount of dialogue between the FF and the Chaotix. Pretty much equally non-existant, true, but the SegaSonic characters aren't upstaging anybody there.

- Over the past five issues, compare the amount of face time in the comic. No Chaotix for the first three months except for a name drop. No SegaSonic prevalence there, either.

- In terms of villainy, of course Dr. Eggman got the upper hand, but he wasn't the focus of TDS - the ArchieSonic villains were.

Given all that, I don't see how folks can be worried I'm phasing out the ArchieSonic elements. I may not have had room to give everyone a snappy bit of dialogue, but I did make an effort to put them in there. Everyone's appearance was scripted - they weren't just listed in hopes James Fry to wedge them in there. I was thinking it'd be better to try to show them to some extent than to leave them out.

Except Rotor, but this time around he served no purpose to the story this time around.

Now then...

sonicforever wrote:How soon in advace of the release date do you get the storylines for the Sonic games? Or do you just have to wait till it comes out like the rest of us?

Already been answered.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicxfactor » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:29 pm

Hey Ian quick question. Do you wish that sometimes you could just scrape the back up story and just use the whole of the book for just one main story or spread it over more issues so you can get more out off it in terms of story telling? I loved TDS 1 and 2 (I don’t have 3 yet) but I cant help but feel that you may have got more out of it if there was no back ups interrupting the flow. Do you feel the same as I do?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:02 pm

That's been answered too

C'mon, folks. That took me three minutes to find.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicxfactor » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:27 pm

Sorry Ian my bad
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Dirk Amoeba » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:58 pm

I don't think this has been explicitly answered yet.

Were the Metal Sonic Trropers the work of Anonymous?
Dirk Amoeba
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:40 pm

That'll be clarified in-book eventually, but yes, the MSTs were activated by Anonymous.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicforever » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:02 pm

Is this whole 100% action 100% of the time thing going to be going on for a long time or will we actually see stories where we jsut see the characters talking to each other or planning operations?

Will Knux and co be going back to Angel Island anytime soon?
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:01 am

sonicforever wrote:Is this whole 100% action 100% of the time thing going to be going on for a long time or will we actually see stories where we jsut see the characters talking to each other or planning operations?

When did I ever say this? I said the action needed to be ratcheted up, not that it should dominate everything else. This is an action-adventure book, so that's where half the strength comes from. The rest is character. There will be more than "biffs" and "whams," yes.

sonicforver wrote:Will Knux and co be going back to Angel Island anytime soon?

Maybe.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicforever » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:46 pm

I know you never said it but it jsut seemed like that is the paht you might go down after your first 5 issues. I mean I like some action just as much as the next guy. But if I want high speed thrills and big fight scenes from Sonic, more than likely I will jsut play the game. The reason I have been a fan of the comics is because their story has been consistently better then the games and I enjoy seeing them in situations where it isn't always "look Robotnick is stealing the chaos emeralda again! quick lets go round them up, change into super sonic, and defeat him for the 1 millionth time". I mean Sonic as a character in the comics is so much more developed then his video game self. He just seems more...real. I mean think about it. No 16 or 17 year old is just going to go off and use their power just because of his sense of justice. It is a nice tale but in reality it probably wouldn't happen. The fact that in the comics they are in a war makes it more believable why he is fighting. He is your normal teenager placed in a warzone (which I guess isn't normal but work with me here). I have also been a long time Spiderman fan and enjoy the issues where it is just Peter and some other good or bad guy discussing why things are going on and questioning their own motives for doing the things they do. For example Norman Osbourn (aka Green Goblin) has often talked to him outside of the costume and caused Peter to seriously consider which side he is really on.

I guess I kinda want more of that to happen in the comics. If only there were more pages :( .

Oh and btw I know I kinda sound like I don't like your reading and all, but in all honesty it is good and I really hope it gets even better.
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius