Ian Inquiries - Additional Extension!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby General Tekno » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:05 pm

Firstly, yes in the video flashbacks that the Metal Destructix has we can see Anonymous with the flesh-and-blood versions (he's blanked out). I think it's 135 or something around there.

Second, I've noticed the comic's status quo has changed considerably from its first inception - originally it was "Dictator holding all the cards vs bands of rebels" whereas now it is "Kingdom vs Kingdom". Will we be seeing a change in that status quo anytime soon? As after all, it really doesn't seem like as desperate of a fight when you have a whole kingdom fighting an enemy.
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:13 pm

General Tekno wrote:Firstly, yes in the video flashbacks that the Metal Destructix has we can see Anonymous with the flesh-and-blood versions (he's blanked out). I think it's 135 or something around there.

Ah, but that's not what I said. I can't clarify further, though, and risk spoiling the big reveal.

General Tekno wrote:Second, I've noticed the comic's status quo has changed considerably from its first inception - originally it was "Dictator holding all the cards vs bands of rebels" whereas now it is "Kingdom vs Kingdom". Will we be seeing a change in that status quo anytime soon? As after all, it really doesn't seem like as desperate of a fight when you have a whole kingdom fighting an enemy.

'fraid I'm gonna hafta go with "no comment" on that one.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicxfactor » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:20 pm

Ian will SPAZ be returning to doing cover art work when he drew Sonic in his own style (around the Sonic Adventure adaptation and after) and not try and copy Sega’s artwork? Don’t get me wrong I think all of his stuff is fantastic but what attracted me to the comic was how he brought him to life in his own style, I mean stuff like that are works of art and would love to see him use it again. But I realize he is very busy, what with Sonic and Sonic X but maybe he could return to that style, as a lot of fans want to see it return.

Also I remember seeing Archie were doing bobble head statuettes of Archie and Jug Head but I was wondering if Archie could do Sonic bobble heads or proper statuettes of Sonic and the rest of the Freedom Fighters in an action pose, that would look cool on my shelf. I know a lot of comic book companies do this so why cant Archie?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby JoJo B. » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:24 pm

In #163 Ixis declares himself a "Master of the Elements." Is the Ixis in TDS saga just as powerful as he was when he absorbed the load of Power Rings in #66 and transformed? I guess what I'm trying to say is, if he stated he was such, does that mean he still has some possession over the fifth element, the Power Ring?

Also, did Ixis' super powered form from #66 have a name? I apologize for all these name questions, I'm coming up with a list.
JoJo B.
BumbleFan

Postby General Tekno » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:20 pm

Isn't the cover of 165 in Spaz's classic style?
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby sonicforever » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:11 pm

I remeber in one of the previews for one of the TDS stories you said that someone would die and it would be the biggest shocker since Sally's "death" at the begining of Endgame. I know that you basically killed off their God's and some minor villian but were either of those two events what you meant by this? Because the thing with Sally's death was that she was a popular character and it really shocked people. These guys it won't really affect any of the fanbase.
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:09 am

sonicxfactor wrote:Ian will SPAZ be returning to doing cover art work when he drew Sonic in his own style (around the Sonic Adventure adaptation and after) and not try and copy Sega’s artwork?

I don't know what Pat plans on doing, honestly. That's up to him and Mike.

sonicxfactor wrote:Also I remember seeing Archie were doing bobble head statuettes of Archie and Jug Head but I was wondering if Archie could do Sonic bobble heads or proper statuettes of Sonic and the rest of the Freedom Fighters in an action pose, that would look cool on my shelf. I know a lot of comic book companies do this so why cant Archie?

The SegaSonic characters are still Sega's property, so any product bearing their likeness would need Sega approval. If Sega wanted that kind of Sonic product out there, it would be out there. I'm not sure how much that applies to the ArchieSonic characters, but I'm sad to say I don't think the demand would be high enough to warrant production.

If you really want it, though, contact Archie itself and voice the idea. While they won't accept unsolicited ideas, if there is a demand for the product, they may supply.

JoJo B. wrote:In #163 Ixis declares himself a "Master of the Elements." Is the Ixis in TDS saga just as powerful as he was when he absorbed the load of Power Rings in #66 and transformed? I guess what I'm trying to say is, if he stated he was such, does that mean he still has some possession over the fifth element, the Power Ring?

Yes and no. Naugus lost almost off of his ring energy when he was banished (and re-banished) to the Zone of Silence. However, in the Zone of Silence, his powers were near omnipotent. However, he loses that power once he's back in the Prime Zone, as he is now. However, he was given the Sword of Acorns, which gave him a huge power boost. However, he gave that to Mammoth Mogul.

So Naugus is pretty much his same old self - a master of elemental magic (after Mogul) and some crystalline magic.

JoJo B. wrote:Also, did Ixis' super powered form from #66 have a name? I apologize for all these name questions, I'm coming up with a list.

I don't remember, but I don't think so. Unless it was state in StH#66, he doesn't have one.

sonicforever wrote:I remeber in one of the previews for one of the TDS stories you said that someone would die and it would be the biggest shocker since Sally's "death" at the begining of Endgame.

No, I didn't. That was the solicitation for the issue, which I have no control over. What I did say was it would be a big shake up for the status quo, for the villainy, and what wasn't immediately shaken up would set up for future shake-ups. I also confirmed there would be a body count, which we're not finished with yet.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicforever » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:15 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Ian.

1. Are you much of a sports fan? and if so what are your favorite teams?

2. I know you recently made fun of the Shine Get thing in Mario Sunshine in the comics, any chance we could see you make fun of things outside the gaming world such as things that happen in certain movies or in politics?

3. Why doesn't Sega advertise for the comic mor often like in the back of game manuals or something? Outside of the hardcore fans of the series that search on the internet for stuff, it jsut seems like knowledge that the comic even exists in some areas is very low.
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby General Tekno » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:10 am

Good point on the comic - I'd love to see ads for it somewhere on Sonic games or something.

And I read on Wikipedia that Ken Penders tried to get a Knuckles movie done at one point - is there any chance that Sega could be convinced of doing a spinoff game set in the Archieverse? Myself, I'd think that it could be good- an idea would be a GTA-style open-world Sonic where you can explore several areas of Mobius like Megalopolis, Station Square, Knothole and Downunda, get different missions to beat Eggman, fight numerous A and B-list baddies like Crocbot, Mogul, Scourge, and the rest, and overall make it an open-ended game which you could play as one of several characters.

OK, I know that's almost a fan-submitted suggestion, but now I just made myself desperately want an open-ended Sonic game like that with scenario updates whenever the next comic comes out. Curse myself!
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:50 am

sonicforever wrote:1. Are you much of a sports fan? and if so what are your favorite teams?

Not especially, no. I'll root for the home teams if they need rootin'. And while I don't follow it closely, I will say that lacross is the greatest sport known to mankind.

sonicforever wrote:2. I know you recently made fun of the Shine Get thing in Mario Sunshine in the comics, any chance we could see you make fun of things outside the gaming world such as things that happen in certain movies or in politic?

I hesitate to since the latter two examples would date the book, and if I do it too much it'll seem tacky. Videogame references seem to be timeless. I'll also be sticking more to Sonic-game references when I can - but the "Shine Get!" was impossible to resist!

sonicforever wrote:3. Why doesn't Sega advertise for the comic mor often like in the back of game manuals or something? Outside of the hardcore fans of the series that search on the internet for stuff, it jsut seems like knowledge that the comic even exists in some areas is very low.

General Tekno wrote:And I read on Wikipedia that Ken Penders tried to get a Knuckles movie done at one point - is there any chance that Sega could be convinced of doing a spinoff game set in the Archieverse?

The main problem with that is franchise confusion. It would also demand more SegaSonic attention to the ArchieSonic cast, and we're enjoying our freedom with the characters that aren't game-canon.

As for the advertisements/recognition (or lack there of), I don't know. It's Sega's marketing decision and it doesn't seem to have hurt anyone thus far.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Dirk Amoeba » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:35 am

Ian, I'm a little unclear as to the fate of Nack's gang. I got the impression that Nack intended to mess with their food with the intention of killing them, but this is fairly uncleari n issue 163 and I obviously don't know whether it will be followed up on in issue 164. Could you spell it out for me?
Dirk Amoeba
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:10 am

Dirk Amoeba wrote:Ian, I'm a little unclear as to the fate of Nack's gang...Could you spell it out for me?

Nack poisoned the food of his former gang members. They are effectively killed off-panel. He did this to ensure they would not track him down for revenge.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Dirk Amoeba » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:45 am

IanPotto wrote:Nack poisoned the food of his former gang members. They are effectively killed off-panel. He did this to ensure they would not track him down for revenge.

Thank you. I doin't think it was entirely clear from the story.

Quite grim, really. Nack isn't a nice guy. I hope any other inmates in the Knothole prison are all right.
Dirk Amoeba
BumbleFan

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:12 pm

Whoa. Thanks for clarifying. I had no idea.
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:48 pm

It was meant to be ambiguous enough that it wouldn't make the initial read-through of the arc feel so "bloody." However, if you read through Nack's scene again, I think it's pretty obvious what's going on.

Or perhaps I'm too fiendishly minded. :twisted:
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius