Ian Inquiries - Additional Extension!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Sonic922 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:59 pm

I just got my 163! I havent been able to red through it yet but I do like that "You've lost wait" Crack fom Nagus :(hearty laughter):

Edit: Whats this thing at the end that says that 164 won't come out til August, PLEASE tell me I dont have to wait until the end of Summer to read the conclusion :!:
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby sonicxfactor » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:37 pm

Ian, just want to know if you have any plans to bring back Nicole’s mobien form. Ms Rio did a fantastic job on that and I would love to see it again.

Also apart from you what other writers still work on the comic?

And are Sonic and Ash still enemies with each other or do you plan them to make become friends?

Also what’s happening with Mina? Anything planned for her along the way and what exactly happened to her dad? Did he die during the Great War or was he a casualty during Robotniks original 10-year rein of terror?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby General Tekno » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:07 pm

From 162 - What's up with the dog member of the Destructix's name?

From what I recall, originally in his first appearance (as a Knothole spy) his name was Snoop Doggy Dogg - an obvious play on a certain rapper. It later became Snoop Dogg, and now appears to be Sleuth Dogg.

How did you decide on his most recent name exactly? I imagine you couldn't use the original due to the fact that it's an actual person's alias, but how did you arrive at Sleuth Dogg?
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby Kamal » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:34 pm

General Tekno wrote:From 162 - What's up with the dog member of the Destructix's name?

From what I recall, originally in his first appearance (as a Knothole spy) his name was Snoop Doggy Dogg - an obvious play on a certain rapper. It later became Snoop Dogg, and now appears to be Sleuth Dogg.

How did you decide on his most recent name exactly? I imagine you couldn't use the original due to the fact that it's an actual person's alias, but how did you arrive at Sleuth Dogg?

Sleuth Dogg was the original name.
Kamal
BumbleFan

Postby General Tekno » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:03 pm

No- in his first appearance, it was "Snoop Doggy Dogg".

It was the issue where Sonic crashes in Robotropolis, gets amnesia, and Robotnik turns him against the FFs.
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:31 pm

Sonic922 wrote:Edit: Whats this thing at the end that says that 164 won't come out til August, PLEASE tell me I dont have to wait until the end of Summer to read the conclusion

Small typo, tis all! StH#164 will be out next month on time.

sonicxfactor wrote:Ian, just want to know if you have any plans to bring back Nicole’s mobien form. Ms Rio did a fantastic job on that and I would love to see it again.

I would too! She'd need some serious juice to keep that form though. Hmmm....

sonicxfactor wrote:Also apart from you what other writers still work on the comic?

To the best of my knowledge, all the non-me stories coming along are inventory stories. So...nobody, really ^^;

sonicxfactor wrote:And are Sonic and Ash still enemies with each other or do you plan them to make become friends?

The rivalry there is a case of egos and misunderstandings. Sonic has no beef with Ash, so he doesn't understand (or tolerate) the aggressiveness. Ash is highly intimidated by Sonic - y'know, being the hero of Mobius and his GF's old crush. I think Ash may have mellowed out some now since "Songoose," though, so the tension may diffuse.

sonicxfactor wrote:Also what’s happening with Mina? Anything planned for her along the way and what exactly happened to her dad? Did he die during the Great War or was he a casualty during Robotniks original 10-year rein of terror?

Mina's still doing the music thang, which will be detailed upon some next year. I'm 99.9% certain her father was a casualty of the Great War. I know he's dead at the very least.

General Tekno wrote:From 162 - What's up with the dog member of the Destructix's name?

Kamal wrote:Sleuth Dogg was the original name.

No- in his first appearance, it was "Snoop Doggy Dogg".

It was the issue where Sonic crashes in Robotropolis, gets amnesia, and Robotnik turns him against the FFs.

The issue Gen. Tekno is refering to is StH#27. Looking at Page 1, I quote...

Sonic the Hedgehog #27 wrote:PAGE ONE

PANEL 1 - A yellow dog mobian with cropped ears and a brown hound-dog mobian in SWAT Bots armor prepare to spray-paint a wall in Robotropolis.

TEXT BOX
Late at night, deep in the bowels of Robotropolis...

DOG #1
You sure it's safe, Sleuth Dawggy-Dawg?

DOG #2
Long enough for us to send word, Kicks-A-Lot!

We've since shortened it to "Sleuth Dawg" so-as to somewhat lessen the pun. No, Kicks-A-Lot isn't coming back any time soon ;)
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby General Tekno » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:03 pm

Alright- my apologies. I misremembered.

Is roboticization going to make a return in the near future? Or the Void for that matter - I remember it being extremely effective as an offensive weapon back when Snively used it (although Robotnik thought it was too dangerous to use).

Since he knows the location of Knothole, could he not equip a sattelite with a 'Void portal and suck up Knothole and Station Square? Or even some sort of bomb - seeing as how Snively mentions that if he selfdestructed his Voidship, it would suck everything nearby into the Void.
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:13 pm

Robotication isn't very likely to return due to the Bem's interference. Since their process was far more advanced than Eggman's, it's rendered the post-mass-derobotization mobians immune to the process - at least for now.

I've already addressed the Void - previous page, and in StH#163.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicforever » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:52 pm

1. I seem to remeber someone saying you lived in North Carolina. ANy chance your a happy Carolina Hurricanes fan?

2. If you ever did have a problem with how the main games were going or how SEGA was running things would you be frank with all the fans or do you have something where you can at the very most only hint at things you are displeased with them about. I really want to believe you with your optimism over the new game and any of the other questionable Sonic stuff to have happened lately but with som much of the rest of the community is at the very lest split abotu 50-50 on the state of the series and even that is a very generous assumption.

3. How do you decide what of what the fans want in the comic actually gets put in? Do you look more at what the comics longtime fans want or do you go more with the community in general (even those who have never read and will never read the comic).
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:58 am

sonicforever wrote:1. I seem to remeber someone saying you lived in North Carolina. ANy chance your a happy Carolina Hurricanes fan?

I'm not much of a sports enthusiast, but I'll cheer for the "home team" by default. So....Go Hurricanes!

sonicforever wrote:2. If you ever did have a problem with how the main games were going or how SEGA was running things would you be frank with all the fans or do you have something where you can at the very most only hint at things you are displeased with them about.

It's a fine line that I do seriously consider whenever I comment on the games. I'm under no direct orders to put a happy face on everything, but I do try to look at things positively - a general rule I try to apply to all things.

To prove the point: I will say the most recent run of games has been a little shakey. Sonic Heroes had a number of inventive elements and brought back the Chaotix, but the execution of these elements (namely the controls) was lackluster at best, terrible at worst. I liked Shadow the Hedgehog for what it was - a spin-off title that tried to be something new while staying true to its roots. No, it didn't entirely succeed and there are a great many avenues for improvement, but I enjoyed it more than Heroes. Sonic Rush was delightful, challenging, and a sequel has room to build upon/improve the original while Sonic Riders is a twitchy, sloppy mess. I'd write it off entirely if I didn't know for a fact that people can excel at it. I'm happy for them, but it is by far my least favorite Sonic game for the current-gen systems.

sonicforever wrote:3. How do you decide what of what the fans want in the comic actually gets put in? Do you look more at what the comics longtime fans want or do you go more with the community in general (even those who have never read and will never read the comic).

There is no way I can please, cater to or appease the entire fandom. There are core elements I try to stick to, and if there is a solid enough voice in favor of something we will strongly consider going that way with the book. By and large, though, I'm writing a Sonic book I would enjoy. Thus far, it looks like I'm on the same page as most everybody else.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicxfactor » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:18 pm

Ian I remember in issue 135 when Sonic met up with Tommy in that bar that some of the Destructix was re-roboticized, and after Eggman found them they had a video file of them speaking to this Anonymous. And yet in issue 162 they were de-roboticized. My question is does this Anonymous have the ability to re-roboticize and de-roboticize at will?

Also I saw on DANIEL J. DRAZEN’s webpage you did a comic sript with him. It’s very good BTW. Are you two friends?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby NackTheWeasel » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:28 pm

I think Ash may have mellowed out some now since "Songoose," though, so the tension may diffuse.

No! I want them to be enemies! Then they can fight and Sonic can beat the stuffing out of Ash for beang such a jerk!

And, as for a question... I know Nack escape... Bur what of his old "teammates" AKA goons? Or did they escape in 163, too. I'm relying on what I hear about the issue, due to the fact I haven't got it yet.
NackTheWeasel
BumbleFan

Postby AvianTalon » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:24 pm

Ian, I may have asked this already, and I apologize if I did, but I can't seem to figure this out/remember.

When Sonic met the robo-Tommy (ugh) in the bar-thing right after the Home saga, the roboticized (by Anonymous) Destructix-to-be attacked them. They were mostly disabled by Sonic, but robo-Tommy thrashed at least two of them including Drago, as seen in the last panel of that story. This was after the Bem deroboticization, and they weren't seen again until last issue.

What's the deal there? (.....or will that become obvious when Anonymous is revealed?)
AvianTalon
BumbleFan

Postby sonicforever » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:25 pm

Well I don't know if anyone has said this yet (I am sure someone has) but I would just like to say thanks for answering all of our questions and still having the mental stability to go out and write a terrific first few issues. Ok back to questions:

1. What are your top 5 favorite Sonic tunes so far?

2. I know you have said Sonic won't be using terms like Let's Juice and Way Past Cool anymroe but why exactly can't those be put into the story?

3. If a Sonic movie is ever made (and it better be based off either the comic or SATAM :D ) which would you prefer: 3d animation like all of the Pixar films or the classic cartoon style?

4. Is Mike a member on any of the Sonic forums or anything?
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:27 am

sonicxfactor wrote: Ian I remember in issue 135 when Sonic met up with Tommy in that bar that some of the Destructix was re-roboticized, and after Eggman found them they had a video file of them speaking to this Anonymous. And yet in issue 162 they were de-roboticized. My question is does this Anonymous have the ability to re-roboticize and de-roboticize at will?

This will all be clarified by the end of the year. Suffice to say - things are not as they appear.

sonicxfactor wrote:Also I saw on DANIEL J. DRAZEN’s webpage you did a comic sript with him. It’s very good BTW. Are you two friends?

I'm not entirely sure what you're referencing. I know I have a fan-fic that's being hosted by Mr. Drazen. Mr. Drazen also did a six-part script that I volunteered to review, Drazen-style, but I dropped out about half-way through for various reasons. So outside of that, no, there is not relationship between us.

NackTheWeasel wrote:And, as for a question... I know Nack escape... Bur what of his old "teammates" AKA goons? Or did they escape in 163, too. I'm relying on what I hear about the issue, due to the fact I haven't got it yet.

You'll have to read the issue itself so you can read Nack's heavily-hinted plans.

AvianTalon - Already answered that one in this very session. Woo!

sonicforever wrote:Well I don't know if anyone has said this yet (I am sure someone has) but I would just like to say thanks for answering all of our questions and still having the mental stability to go out and write a terrific first few issues.

You're very welcome, but I dunno about that second bit. A man who writes the adventures of colorful, talking animals can't be all that stable ;)

sonicforever wrote:1. What are your top 5 favorite Sonic tunes so far?

Hrm...in no particular order:
1) Sonic Adventure (DX) main them (can't think of the title, darnit)
2) Live and Learn
3) What I'm Made Of
4) E-101 Beta mk.II boss theme
5) Sonic/Blaze end boss (not final story) theme - again, can't think of the title

sonicforever wrote:2. I know you have said Sonic won't be using terms like Let's Juice and Way Past Cool anymroe but why exactly can't those be put into the story?

It's not a matter of "can't" but a matter of me not liking those terms.

sonicforever wrote: 3. If a Sonic movie is ever made (and it better be based off either the comic or SATAM ) which would you prefer: 3d animation like all of the Pixar films or the classic cartoon style?

I'm not sure. By default, I'd say 2D/traditional since I love that art form. However, Shadow showed that CG can do the trick for the lively world of Sonic. Whichever met the demands of the story, I suppose.

It'd be fun if it included some elements of the comic, but a SatAM movie will never happen. It was a great series and laid a lot of groundwork for the comic, but it's dead and in the grave.

sonicforever wrote:4. Is Mike a member on any of the Sonic forums or anything?

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe ;)
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius