Ian Inquiries - Additional Extension!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Emeralds

Postby EthanEmerald » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:48 pm

Ian,

Do you have any plans to restore the seven Super Emeralds to their place beside the Master Emerald as they were in ancient times? I'd like to have you look into the seven Super Emeralds and their powers...
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:18 pm

One of the casualties of the SA-adapt was the Super Emeralds. The staff at the time did an excellent job under the conditions at the time, but the Super Emeralds are a bit of a continuity mess. Ultimately - to the best of my researching ability - the Super Emeralds reverted into chao and went with Tikal and Chaos into another zone.

I'm not saying I'll never revisit the issue, but it's rather sticky and I'd prefer to not get into it right now. There's still the matter of Mobius having multiple green emeralds and I'd like to handle the regular emeralds first and foremost.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Emeralds

Postby AvianTalon » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:03 am

On a related note, you ARE going to make the emeralds their proper colors in the comic, right?
(I realize that to some degree the colorist has control over that, but you know what I mean, right?)

That always drove me nuts. It was OK when they were ALL green. Then they went to six of them being the right color and one wrong... then they were all green again... In the SA adaptation, they were colored correctly EXCEPT in the first part of the Perfect Chaos twoparter in which they were GREEN again.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH!
*Shoots self with same nonrealistic blaster gun*
AvianTalon
BumbleFan

Postby sonicxfactor » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:13 pm

Hey Ian question time again.

1: will we ever see a story where both Sonic and Shadow have to put their differences behind them and work together as a team in order to survive? Not like what was in Birthday Bash I mean like for example they are both wrongly accused of a crime they didn’t commit and are on the run.

2: you said that you wrote in the part in #162 where Sonic and Fiona held hands, did Fiona make that move or did Sonic?

3: if Fiona did make that hand holding move on Sonic is she purposely trying to make Sally jealous?

4: you said that only Nack, the G.U.N and Shadow (in certain stories) would be aloud to use guns, but what about Sally? Will she be packing heat like she did in Heart Held Hostage but only if the story requires it?

5: will you try and get Sally more into fights scenes in the comic? I know she has a big reasonability being a princess and all but I prefer “Sally The Warrior Princess” and not “Sally The Hides From Danger Princess”.

6: I remember you said that the Sonic and Sally situation will be a gradual thing, when can we expect the first signs of this to show?

7: can we expect the same type of Birthday Bash style mayhem from Bean and Bark when they return or will it be something totally different from that?

8: not a question but Bean and Bark rule! They deserve their own comic book series.

9: I remember Mike answered a question in Sonic-Grams about a Shadow mini series. If this was to happen will you be writing it, will it follow the current Sonic continuity and since it’s Shadow will Archie try and aim it at a slightly older audience?

10: you said that you want to play Smash Bros online? Well Ian if this was to happen all I can say is your going down. :twisted:
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:01 pm

AvianTalon wrote:On a related note, you ARE going to make the emeralds their proper colors in the comic, right?

Maaaaaaaaaybe =D

sonicxfactor wrote:1: will we ever see a story where both Sonic and Shadow have to put their differences behind them and work together as a team in order to survive? Not like what was in Birthday Bash I mean like for example they are both wrongly accused of a crime they didn’t commit and are on the run.

That came real darn close to a fan-submitted idea. You know better than that, BumbleFan. Sonic and Shadow will be on the same side of a few fights in the future. Whether it's a team-up or just circumstance will be the surprise.

sonicxfactor wrote:2: you said that you wrote in the part in #162 where Sonic and Fiona held hands, did Fiona make that move or did Sonic?

Going from their expressions, I'd say Fiona.

sonicxfactor wrote:3: if Fiona did make that hand holding move on Sonic is she purposely trying to make Sally jealous?

Not at all, since Sally was busy educating the masses on the Source of All at the time. Perhaps Fiona was showing her new beau an affectionate gesture of support in the pressence of the woman who smacked him?

sonicxfactor wrote:4: you said that only Nack, the G.U.N and Shadow (in certain stories) would be aloud to use guns, but what about Sally? Will she be packing heat like she did in Heart Held Hostage but only if the story requires it?

No.

sonicxfactor wrote:5: will you try and get Sally more into fights scenes in the comic?

Sally will see some active field duty, but she was never really a fighter. She was a tactician and did less confrontational assignments. When push came to shove - and should pushing and shoving commence once more - she can hold her own still.

sonicxfactor wrote:6: I remember you said that the Sonic and Sally situation will be a gradual thing, when can we expect the first signs of this to show?

Ah, but what if the signs are already there? It all depends on which direction the "situation" is going.

sonicxfactor wrote:7: can we expect the same type of Birthday Bash style mayhem from Bean and Bark when they return or will it be something totally different from that?

I assure you, Bean won't be any saner next time around.

sonicxfactor wrote:8: not a question but Bean and Bark rule! They deserve their own comic book series.

NOT A QUES...oh, right. Yes, that would rock.

sonicxfactor wrote:9: I remember Mike answered a question in Sonic-Grams about a Shadow mini series. If this was to happen will you be writing it, will it follow the current Sonic continuity and since it’s Shadow will Archie try and aim it at a slightly older audience?

I'm afraid it's too hypothetical a situation to consider. I'd certainly love to see the mini-series return in some fashion, and I would definitely want to write it. We'll see if anything comes about.

sonicxfactor wrote:10: you said that you want to play Smash Bros online? Well Ian if this was to happen all I can say is your going down. Twisted Evil

1) NOT A QUESTION!!!
2) HAHAHA no. Meta-Knight and I will see you go down - and up, and to each side, and into the background, and off the screen. GAME!
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby AvianTalon » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:22 pm

...yeah, Ian. Right before Ness and I bludgeon you senseless with the Homerun Bat.!

Pit is shaping up to knock Ness out of my #1 fav spot, though.

(*Sorry for offtopicness*)
AvianTalon
BumbleFan

Postby sonicforever » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:48 pm

Heh I see your still going to be stubborn about the whole Son/Sal thing Ian. Though it is good that you don't reveal anything to the fans as then it would spoil it. Whatever it is that you have planned in your nogin.

Anyway questions

- I am just curious about this but is there really any point in listening to what different people think should happen in the series? EVERYONE (myself included) has a way they think the story should play out and naturally everyone will not be satisfied no matter what direction you take the comic as it is impossible to please everyone. So why not just write the comic the way you want it and forget what all of us say should happen and when the dust settles see where you stand and go from there. I just think that maybe the fans constant nagging could sometimes get in the way of a writers creativity.

or in a shorter statement........why should you care what we ask aobut all the time?

- If you have read the Spiderman comics lately what do you think of the Civil War saga going on? For those that don't know the government is thinking about passing legislation that all the heroes and villians must reveal themselves after the government has been left with the bills for all the destruction over the years and would like to have faces to put accountabilitu on. Basically Spidey and co have to unmack themselves or they become outlaws and are hunted down by the government.

- Is Mike ever on the forum here or at other big Sonic sites to just see what the fans want or for fun?
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby Faded-Myth » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:22 pm

"Sally will see some active field duty, but she was never really a fighter. She was a tactician and did less confrontational assignments. When push came to shove - and should pushing and shoving commence once more - she can hold her own still."

Part of me feels the need to disagree on this, though it could all boil down to personal perception. And I'm a little dissapointed you see Sally in that light...

At least up until issue 50, when it was just the Knothole gang, how many times did Sally venture out on a mission with Sonic to lend more than just her brains? Quite a few, if my back issues aren't lying to me. She was always there to pull more than a few punches in her time. Sure, she couldn't knock down a swatbot like Sonic, but she's taken down more than her fair share of bad guys in her own way, and she's never once hesitated to do so. She wasn't afraid of being in a building about to blow, (heck, she was the cause for more than a few of those explosions). She even hang glided once or twice, lept out of a plane more than twice, kicked Robotnik in the back (Issue 25) wore Swatbot armour to pass through security, climbed ropes and scaled up buildings, taken out her evil duplicate, and let us not ultimately forget how many times she's ventured in Robotropolis, either on her own or part of a team.

I understand part of the reason for this in early days was for the lack of professional bodies to do it for her, but if anything, that just enforces the fact that Sally is, and always was, a fighting girl. Even if she wasn't born with that mentality, she definately came to be that way through her environment and life style. Yes, she's ultimately a tactician, but I've never once in my life seen Sally as anything other than a fighter. That's probably why I've always taken the whole taking her off tot he side lines in recent years so much to heart, because it goes against everything I see Sally as. Heck, she's got more guts than just about any other Freedom Fighter out there.

Lastly, I can't count the times that Sally has tried to talk and convince and raise the spirits of those around her into picking up the fight when all seems hopeless. I don't know about you, but to me that's the spirit of a girl with a lot of fight in her.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Kureejii Lea » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:46 pm

I think Ian meant along the lines of Sally not being a first-and-foremost melee fighter, like, say, Knuckles. There's no debating that she has a "fighting spirit" (after all, she did lead a rebellion for a decade). The difference I think is that her priority in a major confrontation is to think and plan first rather than immediately rush into the middle of a hostile group and bust heads (didn't she used to berate Sonic for not looking before leaping SatAM?). Saying that when push comes to shove I think is more of saying that she's fully capable of booting enemies around when it becomes necessary - it's just not her usual first move.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Faded-Myth » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:48 pm

Darn. I just got my rear end served to me with a side of pwnage.

Your point is well made.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby JoJo B. » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:21 am

Hi Ian, just a few questions again:

1. Will we see any more of the elemental super forms Sonic became in issue #71, including Ultra Sonic?

2. Is the G.U.N. Commander from Shadow the Hedgehog due to make an appearance in the comic books? As well as his incomplete mech, Diablon?

3. What are the names of the G.U.N. members in Paladin Team, Sigma Alpha-2? Which names belong to who? I was always confused by this (I know someone is named Spike and another person is Rico).

4. Do you have any plans for Detective J.J. Moto from issue #98? He seems like quite an interesting character, it would be a shame to let him go to waste.

5. Will there be any light shed on Amy's tarot cards? How she uses them? When?

Thanks!
JoJo B.
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:01 am

sonicforever wrote: I am just curious about this but is there really any point in listening to what different people think should happen in the series?

Sure there is! Every now and then, the online community is united on a topic, and I can't ignore that. Requests for long-unused characters can spark a story idea. And I can take it all as general feedback. If the fans think there should be more comedy-dramas (like "Birthday Bash"), I may steer towards writing those more often. If it's epics they want, perhaps I'll go more TDS route.

I will be doing my own thing, which seems to be pleasing the majority right now. But all the same, the feedback I've gotten suggests that the fans like knowing the writing is honestly listening, so I'll try to maintain that.

sonicxfactor wrote:If you have read the Spiderman comics lately what do you think of the Civil War saga going on?

Not "Spider-Man" in particular, but I did pick up Civil War #1. It's an interesting concept, and I hope the creatives see it through to a more satisfying end than "Infinite Crisis" had.

JoJo B. wrote:1. Will we see any more of the elemental super forms Sonic became in issue #71, including Ultra Sonic?

No, we'll be sticking with good ol' Super Sonic for the foreseeable future.

JoJo B. wrote:2. Is the G.U.N. Commander from Shadow the Hedgehog due to make an appearance in the comic books? As well as his incomplete mech, Diablon?

I'd like to introduce the Commander at some point. I don't know if the Diablon will be used, though, due to the demonic root of its name. That may be paranoid on my part, but I'm just putting that out there.

JoJo B. wrote:3. What are the names of the G.U.N. members in Paladin Team, Sigma Alpha-2? Which names belong to who? I was always confused by this (I know someone is named Spike and another person is Rico).

I don't know, to be quite honest. I have no plans for that unit, so I haven't researched them. Should we ever return to them, I'll make sure to look at the notes.

JoJo B. wrote:4. Do you have any plans for Detective J.J. Moto from issue #98? He seems like quite an interesting character, it would be a shame to let him go to waste.

If I recall correctly, didn't he appear for two panels? I can certainly build something off of "human detective," but he might be too obscure a character to bring back.

JoJo B. wrote:5. Will there be any light shed on Amy's tarot cards? How she uses them? When?

The tarot cards aren't ArchieSonic-canon. I don't even think they're officially Sega-canon. I think they're mentioned in her profile on Sonic Central. Does anyone know if they're touched upon in her Sonic Channel profile?

If we should ever bring her tarot reading into the comic, I would wager we'd have her reading them as any other tarot reader would.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:16 am

In issue 147, I believe it was, the story where Eggman is rallying his troops, and teaching them to fear Sonic, Tails, Amy and Knuckles. Eggman mentions Amy's tarot card abilities, so I assume it is canon now.

As for game canon, it's mentioned in Sonic Battle that she does practice using tarot cards.

Postby nuckles87 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:21 pm

From her Archie profile on SonicHQ:

Amy is the bubbliest member of the Freedom Fighters, and she has a huge crsuh on Sonic. Amy Rose's origins lie in the country of Mercia, a province of the Acorn Kingdom across the sea. There she lived for a while with her cousin, Rob O' The Hedge, leader of the Mercian branch of Freedom Fighters. When Robotnik took over, he put the Robian General D'Coolette in charge of Mercia. As things went from bad to worse, Rob sent Amy away to live in Knothole where she would hopefully be much safer.

Since then, Amy adapted to life and came to fall head over heels for the local hero, Sonic. She assumed the position of his #1 fan and is ALWAYS on his heels! She has kept her distance out of respect for Sally, but with the current situation of the Sonic/Sally relationship, anythign's possible.

Amy has proven her worth in battle several times and is now officially a full time member of the Freedom Fighters. She has become quite a powerful ally with her Piko-Piko hammer and Tarot card abilities.
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:49 pm

SHQ is a great resource, but unless it's an image scan, I can't take the information as 100% certified. WW's references, however, I can verify myself.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, folks. I'm going to have to consider the tarot cards now.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius