Ian Inquiries - Additional Extension!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby sonicxfactor » Tue May 30, 2006 5:06 pm

Hey Ian I was just wondering if you read this comic called Brodie’s Law? It’s a huge hit in the UK and I heard quite big in the US, and I got to meet DAVID BIRCHAM co-creator & artist on BRODIE'S LAW at the recent London Expo, he even signed my Brodie’s Law trade paperback. I don’t collect comic books other then Sonic but this is really good stuff. Do you collect this comic at all?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby General Tekno » Tue May 30, 2006 6:39 pm

Sonic922 wrote:1: Will we be seeing Scratch and Grounder(or Coconuts) ever again?

2: Do you think that Sonic can still say his original SatAM or AoStH("spin and win, Juice and Jam, Do it to It", etc.) lines in modern day?

I'd actually LOVE to see the Classic Badniks again myself! If anything, Classic Ivo has to come back just so that he can have a Crabmeat by his side to use as a foil!

Mecha and ADAM are OK, but it's not the same as watching an obese Dr. Robotnik recount his scheme to Crabmeat, and then see Crabmeat somehow get trashed!

And another quick question to Ian - would we be able to by any chance see a spinoff as to how Robo-robotnik defeated his Sonic? From Sonic 19 we know that the FFs in that reality were turned into cyborgs, but the next time we see that reality they're normal Mobians again. It would be interesting to see that universe's Endgame equivalent and Robo-Robotnik's destruction of his Sonic.

To avoid confusing readers, you could make it a backup in a Sonic Super Special and have it narrated by Zonic or something.
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby GroudonMan » Tue May 30, 2006 11:32 pm

Shoot, I signed up the other night to ask you an Anonymous Q. Oh well, there'll be a PM headin’ your way soon. ;)

Yo, I'm GroudonMan. :) I've been a fan of Sonic since his first game, and have bought as many of the games since that my budget allows (unfortunately, my paycheck doesn't seem to want me to get a 360 or PS3, so it looks like I'll miss out on Next-Gen. Bummer). I was also into the comics fairly early on, with my earliest as-of-yet-undestroyed copy being issue 14. I continued to collect until the big 50, but by then my interest in Archie's series had waned. Over the years of being Archieless, I kept up on the news through various websites and comic shops, vaguely getting the storylines and looking over a few of the more interesting ones.
But then, as a stroke of luck, I found issue 160. Absolutely by chance did I decide to pick it up and give it a read. I was not disappointed. Bravo! Sega should be patting your back because that issue inspired me to go out and buy Sonic Gems Collection just to get Fighters. Bean and Bark rock!
Since then, I've decided that I'm never again going to miss a single issue. I even went out and researched what I missed so that I won't be left out of any plot points. I can officially say that I have read almost every Archie Sonic comic to date, excluding the rare #0 series and a few other obscure issues. I must say that I have never been as enthusiastic about any comic series in my life! I see great things coming in Sonic the Hedgehog . . . (Do not worry, my first prophecy is free.)

Anywho, as long as I'm here, on with the questions!

1. You've said that you wish to refrain from the use of realistic guns in the comics, but that Nack, GUN soldiers, and Shadow may use them from time to time. Well, will these guns be as realistic as those in Heart Held Hostage, or will they become cartoony laser pistols? I can't imagine the GUN soldiers (the Commander in particular) using anything but standard guns. But, no matter what actually gets used, I know you'll be able to pull of great stories none-the-less. ;)
BTW, I'm one of the few nerdy people that actually believe Shadow the Hedgehog is a wonderful game. I can't wait to see how this story is handled in the comic! Maybe if it was made as a mini-series, it could be geared toward a slightly older audience. *hinthint* xD

2. Knowing that you like the Super Smash Bros. series, what are your thoughts on whether Sonic should be in the next game, Brawl? On the Japanese website, they actually have a form that is for suggesting characters, items, stages, or music for the upcoming game, and I know many people (myself included) have written to them there expressing our desire for Sonic to be included in the cast. As of now, Gannondorf is my main dude, but if Sonic or Shadow appears in the next installment, that will certainly change. (When I get a . . . Wii [Revolution forever!] and Brawl, if ever, I officially challenge you to a duel! :P Brawl will rock with Wii's internet connection.)

3. Will Shadow ever take Sonic's advice and get a girl? :P (Can't remember the issue num, but it was the one with Isaac and Metal Sonic) I'd like to see him fall for somebody . . . but it can't be just anybody. She's gotta’ really be someone special. ;) (Okay, I admit it, major Shadow fanboy here . . .)

4. Are there any plans for Mammoth Mogul's ultimate demise? (Is that how his name is spelled? Can't remember.) I know you probably won't want to answer this one, and I'm okay with that, but I feel that that Mammoth has made far too many comebacks for his own good. Although, you could probably make him an acceptable character. But still . . . *Crosses his fingers that Mogul is part of TDS's body count.* :P

5. What do you personally think about Silver from what has been revealed thus far? I find him to be an extremely intriguing character, coming from the future to stop a disaster that he believes is caused by Sonic! A hedgehog with a sense of justice, against Sonic! Very cool plot here. 8)

6. Was it a simple coincidence that Eggman's E-series robots look like Isaac, or did he discover the plans for the 'bot somewhere?

7. I can't remember if this has been answered, but will chao ever come into and be involved in the Archie comics?

8. If Sonic X ends at this latest season, do you think Archie will aquire the rights to use Cream and Emerl? What would you do with them if that happened? My feelings have always told me that Cream has a certain "Aunt Bunnie." :P

9. I love, love, LOVE Snively! Will he ever become a major, and I mean MAJOR, character in this comic? I don't think he's in the plot as much as he should be, and the latest story about him was wonderful to see.

10. In the last issue, did what I thought I saw really happen with the Ancient Walkers? Are they really . . . ya know . . . 0_0

11. Relating to the last question, was it Anonymous talking and orchestrating the release ofMogul, or did the Mammoth himself play a part in that? When released, he appeared to know exactly what was going on, and did not (or at least did not yet) question his freedom.

12. I hope this doesn't count as an Anonymous Q, but where is his right foot in the pic in '62? I can make out two shapes, one more trianbular and greenish, and the other blackened and in the shadows. The gap between them specifies that they are two different objects, the triangular point being the tip of a cape, perhaps?

13. How old would Sonic have been in issue #1? How old was he in issue #50, at the fall of Robotnik Prime? A good timeline needs to be created, starting from the earliest known date in the Sonic universe, which I believe was June 6(?), 2006 . . . forward about twelve-thousand years to Sonic's time. In this way, the exact year can be figured out according to our time.
The end is near. 0_0

Well, I suppose I can't keep you here forever. ;) I'll let you get back to thinking wonderful Sonic-y thoughts.

Sincerely, Big-mouth-that-never-stops-talking- and-causes-your-eyes-to-hurt- from-all-the-text GroudonMan

P.S.
Oh, and kudos to your work on Other M and Ultimate Sonic! ;) After I found this site and learned about you, I found and read a few of the issues (I have not yet gotten to reading any of 3-B yet). They are very good, and I can see why you landed the spot at Archie! :P You da best, Potto.
GroudonMan
BumbleNewbie

Postby Faded-Myth » Tue May 30, 2006 11:36 pm

Hey Ian. Just a question in regards to issue 162 (though this is relevant to all your scripts). There were times in the issue which seemed like they could have been expanded on a great deal, but obviously due to page constraints you have to sort of keep things brisk and on the move. How hard is it for you to decide what scenes should supercede others in length, and how they should be ultimately presented? When you write your initial drafts, do you do what i do and write more than is needed, and then crop it? Or do you try and write with the limitations in mind?
For an example, the scene with Miles and his Uncle meeting for the first time. The timing is adequate enough to get the points across that Tails is both excited and sad to see his Uncle, and then understanding that he has a job to do before they can talk longer. The scene works, ultimately, and you timed it perfectly to convey all the important elements while keeping the comic moving. But a few pages devoted to their initial contact would have been greatly desired. We were able to get this sort of thing in the older issues where sometimes you'd have like 4 or 5 pages dedicated to a conversation.
I think that's the only real flaw I can see in the more recent comics. I find it hard to get used to a character, or feel the emotion that characters may be feeling after meeting each other for the first time, or just generally feeling the mood when everythnig's flying past too quickly. It's kind of like your trying to read a book but someon'es flicking the pages for you too quickly, so your on the next page before anything's sunken in. Will there be any revisions as to the length of the main story in the future? Because whileI like back up stories such as "Ties That Bind", if it's at the sacrifice of the main story, then I would rather lose the back up myself.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed May 31, 2006 8:17 am

This special Birthday Edition of Q&A is brought to you by the letters Q, A and the number 24.

Sonic922 wrote:1: Will we be seeing Scratch and Grounder(or Coconuts) ever again?

Highly unlikely, but I can't say never.

Sonic922 wrote:2: Do you think that Sonic can still say his original SatAM or AoStH("spin and win, Juice and Jam, Do it to It", etc.) lines in modern day?

In all the scripts I've written, I think there's a couple of "Do it to it"s in there. Nada of the others.

sonicxfactor wrote:Hey Ian I was just wondering if you read this comic called Brodie’s Law? ... Do you collect this comic at all?

I haven't read "Brodie's Law," no, but I'll keep my eye out for it. And, yes, there are about a half-dozen titles I pick up on a regular basis.

General Tekno wrote:And another quick question to Ian - would we be able to by any chance see a spinoff as to how Robo-robotnik defeated his Sonic? From Sonic 19 we know that the FFs in that reality were turned into cyborgs, but the next time we see that reality they're normal Mobians again. It would be interesting to see that universe's Endgame equivalent and Robo-Robotnik's destruction of his Sonic.

To avoid confusing readers, you could make it a backup in a Sonic Super Special and have it narrated by Zonic or something.

That has the dangerous odor of a fan-submitted suggestion. Careful ;)

I may be mis-remembering, but I thought Cyborg-Sonic wasn't from Robo-Robotnik's time, but rather knew of it and came to warn Sonic and the others of the impending doom. Either way, I don't foresee us revisiting that bit of Sonic lore simply due to all that would have to be dredged up. For now, you'll have to be content with Robo-Robotnik's affirmation that he won in his time.

GroudonMan wrote:Many, many words of awesome

Welcome aboard!

GroudonMan wrote:1. You've said that you wish to refrain from the use of realistic guns in the comics, but that Nack, GUN soldiers, and Shadow may use them from time to time.

Nope-nope-nope-nope - let me clarify. There will be NO realistic firearms in the book again, barring a policy change on Archie's behalf (which is highly unlikely). I meant that it was essentially a non-issue since firearms are hardly used in the book at all. The exceptions would be:
Nack - infrequently reoccuring character with a blaster
GUN - The troops might have them, if they're shown, and the Commander can be given something that's futuristic-looking enough.
Shadow - Only if the situation presented himself.

GourdonMan wrote:2. Knowing that you like the Super Smash Bros. series, what are your thoughts on whether Sonic should be in the next game, Brawl?

It will be a crime against all humanity if Sonic isn't in SSBB. The game is already shaping up to be phenomenal (META-KNIGHT!!!), but Sonic is required. Required I say! It'd be nice if Sonic came with some different "skins" that made him look like Shadow, Metal, Silver, etc.

And I'll have to break down and get a wireless hub for my place just so I can Brawl with fellow Sonic fans.

GroudonMan wrote:3. Will Shadow ever take Sonic's advice and get a girl? (Can't remember the issue num, but it was the one with Isaac and Metal Sonic) I'd like to see him fall for somebody . . . but it can't be just anybody. She's gotta’ really be someone special. (Okay, I admit it, major Shadow fanboy here . . .)

Heh, not in the near future. Shadow has many personal issues to surmount (some coming early next year) before he can even function on such an intimate interpersonal level.

GroudonMan wrote:4. Are there any plans for Mammoth Mogul's ultimate demise?

I can't say one way or the other.

GroudonMan wrote:5. What do you personally think about Silver from what has been revealed thus far? I find him to be an extremely intriguing character, coming from the future to stop a disaster that he believes is caused by Sonic! A hedgehog with a sense of justice, against Sonic! Very cool plot here.

You just said it all for me =D

GroudonMan wrote:6. Was it a simple coincidence that Eggman's E-series robots look like Isaac, or did he discover the plans for the 'bot somewhere?

I don't know, honestly. That was all Ken Penders's story, which I was not privy to in any stage of development. (I wasn't even hired then!)

GroudonMan wrote:7. I can't remember if this has been answered, but will chao ever come into and be involved in the Archie comics?

There was a story that, unfortunately, had to be shelved for now. The chao may eventually be folded into the continuity.

GroudonMan wrote:8. If Sonic X ends at this latest season, do you think Archie will aquire the rights to use Cream and Emerl? What would you do with them if that happened? My feelings have always told me that Cream has a certain "Aunt Bunnie."

Even with Sonic X (anime) ending now, the Sonic X comic will endure and - thusly - will keep Cream, Emerl and the related characters to that title. That's cool by me, since I have plenty of characters in StH. I don't want to speculate on how I'd use them right now.

GroudonMan wrote:9. I love, love, LOVE Snively! Will he ever become a major, and I mean MAJOR, character in this comic? I don't think he's in the plot as much as he should be, and the latest story about him was wonderful to see.

Being a supporting character, Snively will see about as much action as he ever has. Due to StH#162, though, you can rest assured he'll be seeing more action than he had in the recent couple of years.

GroudonMan wrote:10. In the last issue, did what I thought I saw really happen with the Ancient Walkers? Are they really . . . ya know . . . 0_0

Ooooooh yeah. Completely, totally, and irrevocably.

GroudonMan wrote:11. Relating to the last question, was it Anonymous talking and orchestrating the release ofMogul, or did the Mammoth himself play a part in that? When released, he appeared to know exactly what was going on, and did not (or at least did not yet) question his freedom.

It was orchestration on Anonymous's part, but Mogul was fully aware of the world around him while trapped.

GroudonMan wrote:12. I hope this doesn't count as an Anonymous Q, but where is his right foot in the pic in '62? I can make out two shapes, one more trianbular and greenish, and the other blackened and in the shadows. The gap between them specifies that they are two different objects, the triangular point being the tip of a cape, perhaps?

No comment.

GroudonMan wrote:13. How old would Sonic have been in issue #1? How old was he in issue #50, at the fall of Robotnik Prime? A good timeline needs to be created, starting from the earliest known date in the Sonic universe, which I believe was June 6(?), 2006 . . . forward about twelve-thousand years to Sonic's time. In this way, the exact year can be figured out according to our time.
The end is near. 0_0

While I'm a big fan of tight continuity, having it too tight will suffocate us. That, and most of the post-Gene Bomb Earth/Mobius was lifeless. Not much to tell there. And Sonic would've been fifteen in StH#1, I believe.

Faded-Myth wrote:Hey Ian. Just a question in regards to issue 162 (though this is relevant to all your scripts). There were times in the issue which seemed like they could have been expanded on a great deal, but obviously due to page constraints you have to sort of keep things brisk and on the move. How hard is it for you to decide what scenes should supercede others in length, and how they should be ultimately presented? When you write your initial drafts, do you do what i do and write more than is needed, and then crop it? Or do you try and write with the limitations in mind?
For an example, the scene with Miles and his Uncle meeting for the first time. The timing is adequate enough to get the points across that Tails is both excited and sad to see his Uncle, and then understanding that he has a job to do before they can talk longer. The scene works, ultimately, and you timed it perfectly to convey all the important elements while keeping the comic moving. But a few pages devoted to their initial contact would have been greatly desired. We were able to get this sort of thing in the older issues where sometimes you'd have like 4 or 5 pages dedicated to a conversation.
I think that's the only real flaw I can see in the more recent comics. I find it hard to get used to a character, or feel the emotion that characters may be feeling after meeting each other for the first time, or just generally feeling the mood when everythnig's flying past too quickly. It's kind of like your trying to read a book but someon'es flicking the pages for you too quickly, so your on the next page before anything's sunken in. Will there be any revisions as to the length of the main story in the future? Because whileI like back up stories such as "Ties That Bind", if it's at the sacrifice of the main story, then I would rather lose the back up myself.

I tried to find a way to trim this down for quotation's sake, but it's too solid a question. Well played!

Before any actual script is written, I do a page-by-page breakdown of the issue. Each pages gets a sentence or two to say what the major action of that page is and any key bits of dialogue I want at the time. This way I can cut, move and replace sections faster while keeping a grasp on the issue as a whole.

I'll get into more details over StH#162 when it's Script Bits! rolls around, but I will say I always want more pages. If we could just have a continuous stream of pages coming to you on an hourly basis, I'd be content. We have to be realistic, though ;)

The state of the comic's lead story vs. back-up story is being discussed right now. It's a rather unique feature, so we don't want to immediately dump it. There will be full issues in the future and the lead vs. back-up page count will fluctuate a bit over the coming months as we try things out. We'll see what the fans react best to, which stories flourish the most, and make future decisions from there.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Sonic922 » Wed May 31, 2006 2:58 pm

I finally got to read my 162 an dI have.. A few questions:

1: Was it intentional to use Robotnik Prime on the 1st Page instead of Robo, or was that Fry's idea?

2:Also on the first pae, why are only Sonic and Tails fighting? are they key characters for TDS?

3: Didn't ADAM activate the nanites in 152, did Eggman make a mistake?

4: Did you write the part where Sonic and Fiona start to hold hands as soon as Sally comes in?

5: Where those the grapes wirling around the sword of Acorns when one of the Arachnis put it up? Was that only to hit the ancient walkers, or to do something else too?

6: This may be written off as an Anonymous questoin nd can't be answered, but is there some kind of connection between the texture around the sword of Acorns and the green stuff around the Anonymous on the first page? Or did James Fry just like the texture.

Thanks Again! :D
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby sonicforever » Wed May 31, 2006 10:38 pm

I know pre TDS you said that someone would indeed die. Please don't tell me that the Ancient Walkers are the only ones to bite the dust. I mean their death really won't affect anyone personally (except for making everyone have to deal with Mogul again).
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:52 am

Sonic922 wrote:1: Was it intentional to use Robotnik Prime on the 1st Page instead of Robo, or was that Fry's idea?

That was intentional. The three scenes were meant has Anonymous recalling the battles of old. You will also notice that Sonic is in his pre-SA-Adapt design.

Sonic922 wrote:2:Also on the first pae, why are only Sonic and Tails fighting? are they key characters for TDS?

See the previous answer.

Sonic922 wrote:3: Didn't ADAM activate the nanites in 152, did Eggman make a mistake?

No comment.

Sonic922 wrote:4: Did you write the part where Sonic and Fiona start to hold hands as soon as Sally comes in?

Yup. I'll try to remember to include that page with S#162's Script Bits!

Sonic922 wrote:5: Where those the grapes wirling around the sword of Acorns when one of the Arachnis put it up? Was that only to hit the ancient walkers, or to do something else too?

Yes, those were the Egg Grapes. What exactly happened will be clarified in S#163.

Sonic922 wrote:6: This may be written off as an Anonymous questoin nd can't be answered, but is there some kind of connection between the texture around the sword of Acorns and the green stuff around the Anonymous on the first page? Or did James Fry just like the texture.

That's mostly James' preference ;)

sonicforever wrote:I know pre TDS you said that someone would indeed die. Please don't tell me that the Ancient Walkers are the only ones to bite the dust. I mean their death really won't affect anyone personally (except for making everyone have to deal with Mogul again).

The apparent general apathy towards the death of the Ancient Walkers. The (virtually) gods of Mobius are no more! Hopefully the rest of those don't make it through TDS will have more of an impact.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby General Tekno » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:58 pm

Will you be examing any other possible repercussions of the Ancient Walkers' death other than Mogul's release?

I'd be interested to know if there's anything else.

And is the fact that they were dying linked to their inaction when the Xorda attacked Mobius, or were they just arrogant morons?
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:10 am

Can't comment on the lack of Ancient Walkers for right now. Once everything is said and done with TDS, then I can speak more freely.

The abscense of the Xorda will be touched upon the end of this year/start of next year.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Kamal » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:59 pm

IanPotto wrote:It will be a crime against all humanity if Sonic isn't in SSBB. The game is already shaping up to be phenomenal (META-KNIGHT!!!), but Sonic is required. Required I say! It'd be nice if Sonic came with some different "skins" that made him look like Shadow, Metal, Silver, etc.

All I can hope for is that Sonic isn't in SSBB. While I do believe it would be cool to play, I don't see why Sega can't get off their duffs and try to make a game to rival SSB. (Not to mention the fact that opening up the possiblity of Sonic losing a fight to Mario or vice versa may be too much for Sega and Nintendo to contemplate.)

Why does Sonic have to fight Pikachu when he could be fighting Shinobi? Or have Ryo fight Akira or have AiAi bowl down Zombies?
Kamal
BumbleFan

Postby GroudonMan » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:40 pm

Kamal wrote:
IanPotto wrote:It will be a crime against all humanity if Sonic isn't in SSBB. The game is already shaping up to be phenomenal (META-KNIGHT!!!), but Sonic is required. Required I say! It'd be nice if Sonic came with some different "skins" that made him look like Shadow, Metal, Silver, etc.

All I can hope for is that Sonic isn't in SSBB. While I do believe it would be cool to play, I don't see why Sega can't get off their duffs and try to make a game to rival SSB. (Not to mention the fact that opening up the possiblity of Sonic losing a fight to Mario or vice versa may be too much for Sega and Nintendo to contemplate.)

Why does Sonic have to fight Pikachu when he could be fighting Shinobi? Or have Ryo fight Akira or have AiAi bowl down Zombies?

Why do they need to, when Nintendo already has a super-series perfect for it? Everyone knows the Smash Bros line, but if Sega would make one that is very much like it, I can very well imagine all of the fans screaming "Boy, Sega's such a copycat! Why didn't they just allow Nintendo to use their characters in the Smash Bros series?"

Personally, I'm dying to kick Mario's rear with Sonic, and Sega couldn't do that by themselves. ;) And is Mario losing a fight to Sonic any worse than losing a fight to Link? Nope, just two incredibly cool characters showing each other their moves. It's not saying that one is any better than the other. When I play, Mario loses to Ganondorf very, very often. :)

Plus, with the nose and proportions, I always thought Eggman was related to Wario and Waluigi in some way. Almost a mix of the two, fat but extremely tall with wirey arms and legs. But, he obviously has more brains than those two creeps put together. :P I could easily see Sonic and the gang in Mario's world. . .
GroudonMan
BumbleNewbie

Postby Faded-Myth » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:36 am

Personally I want Princess Sally as a playabe character XD

With real physics! =D Don't ask why...

I would personally love to beat Sonic over the head with Nicole, or high kick Mario in the chin with a heel.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Sonic922 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:49 am

Oh I have a question.

Yuji Naka always said that he would like to see a game with both Sonic and Mario. (Even though he's leaving, maybe somebody will in the future)
If that were to happen, would/could Archie make an adaption, or would there be too many problems?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:09 pm

Sonic922 wrote:Yuji Naka always said that he would like to see a game with both Sonic and Mario. (Even though he's leaving, maybe somebody will in the future)
If that were to happen, would/could Archie make an adaption, or would there be too many problems?

First and foremost, I sincerely doubt such a cross-over game would be in continuity, so that's one strike against it. Secondly, I shudder to think of all the cross-approvals and red tape Archie would have to go through to see even a back-up story like that come to be.

Sonic vs/& Mario in ArchieSonic is as close to impossible as you can get without writing it off entirely.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius