Ian Inquiries - Additional Extension!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby JoJo B. » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:04 am

I believe certain elements of season three were adapted into the comic book, such as Nate Morgan. I wonder if Archie had any connections with DiC? Would you know anything about this Ian?
JoJo B.
BumbleFan

Postby Shelly » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:35 am

Faded-Myth wrote:...Snively is basically debunked and defects to the Freedom Fighters. However, as the show was cancelled Hurst never got to see any of this come to fruition.

Oh, that's just sad. He is one of my favorite characters. And Hurst wanted him to defect to the Freedom Fighters in season three, but season three didn't happen. And Ken Penders wanted him to "die in redemption for his sins," but he didn't last long enough for that to happen. And Bollers wanted him and Shadow to team up to take down Robotnik by any means possible... and that didn't happen either.

Three times! If I'm on this board in 2009 and read a message by Ian saying that he'd wanted Snively to sacrifice himself in order to save Hope, but before he could do that the comic was cancelled, I think I'll explode or something...

Funny that Bollers wanted Snively and Shadow to team up against Robotnik when they wound up on the same side fighting for him. Since I'm in the thread and on the topic, Ian -- are Snively and Shadow going to have any face-to-face interaction in the future? They do have the "concerned about Hope" thing in common...
Shelly
BumbleNewbie

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:02 pm

JoJo B. wrote:
IanPotto wrote:Heh, I ought to read my own table of contents.

Ah, well you said it at the Sonic HQ board. Anyway, thanks Ian.

Ah-HA! Thank you, sir. Gotta keep up with that too.

JoJo B. wrote:I wonder if Archie had any connections with DiC? Would you know anything about this Ian?

I don't know anything substantial, no. I know Ken Penders had a copy of the character bible for SatAM which included Nate Morgan. Karl Bollers, however, didn't have a copy (to my knowledge) and was the one to write Nate/Naugus - so I obviously am missing something somewhere.

Shelly wrote:Ian -- are Snively and Shadow going to have any face-to-face interaction in the future? They do have the "concerned about Hope" thing in common...

Yep, they'll meet/interect/etc. late this year/early next year. (if everything goes according to plan)
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby ME » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:10 pm

Faded-Myth wrote:Ben Hurst, the chief writer of the series, had wanted season 3 to include the return of Robotnik, who had been transported to the Zone of Silence. The eyes behind Snively are those of Ixis Naugus, who brings Robotnik back to Mobius, though maintains dominancy over him. Snively is basically debunked and defects to the Freedom Fighters. However, as the show was cancelled Hurst never got to see any of this come to fruition.

That the information you were looking for?

(hearty laughter) I am sorry for starting this it is nothing big; yes I knew that already. The reason I asked that was because Nagus came into light in a diffrent fassion in the comics. So I wondered how the comic would answer the second episode. But it doesnt matter. Thanks for the responses.
ME
BumbleFan

Postby Faded-Myth » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:44 pm

Shelly wrote:Oh, that's just sad. He is one of my favorite characters. And Hurst wanted him to defect to the Freedom Fighters in season three, but season three didn't happen. And Ken Penders wanted him to "die in redemption for his sins," but he didn't last long enough for that to happen. And Bollers wanted him and Shadow to team up to take down Robotnik by any means possible... and that didn't happen either.

Three times! If I'm on this board in 2009 and read a message by Ian saying that he'd wanted Snively to sacrifice himself in order to save Hope, but before he could do that the comic was cancelled, I think I'll explode or something...

Snively was one of Hursts creations, or at least Hurst had one of the biggest hands in developing the original Snively we all know and love throughout the seasons. I think Hurst would have done a really good job with Snively if the runt did in fact defect. I mean, think about it. With Naugus AND Robotnik in control, I highly doubt Snively would even survive, let alone get any place in power. Defecting to the enemy isprobably the best idea the miserable sleezeball could have come up with. Most likely he'd have done so to merely bide his time and take over both sides if the opportunity presented itself. He had a bad enough time with Robotnik constantly rideculing him. Having Ixis onboard as well would have been too much.

That said, I'm not big on the path that Penders gave him. A lot of that seemed totally out of character. Though personally I feel that way about a lot of...actually I'm going to end my train of thought here before I get too offensive.

Actually, your Shadow and Snively question is a good one. I wonder...
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Shelly » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:58 am

Oh, man, not to derail the topic or anything...
Faded-Myth wrote:Snively was one of Hursts creations, or at least Hurst had one of the biggest hands in developing the original Snively we all know and love throughout the seasons. I think Hurst would have done a really good job with Snively if the runt did in fact defect. I mean, think about it. With Naugus AND Robotnik in control, I highly doubt Snively would even survive, let alone get any place in power. Defecting to the enemy isprobably the best idea the miserable sleezeball could have come up with. Most likely he'd have done so to merely bide his time and take over both sides if the opportunity presented itself. He had a bad enough time with Robotnik constantly rideculing him. Having Ixis onboard as well would have been too much.

Would have been worth seeing -- it's a real shame season 3 never happened. Aw, though while I could see the scenario you describe playing out given his character, I could also have seen his defection as being more or less genuine. He's wanted all along for Robotnik to be gone so he can rule. And now Robotnik is gone, but Snively's losing to the FF's. He turns to the Void in desperation, but that backfires so badly he's even worse off than he was originally. He's exhausted every other option and thus I could see him turning to the FFs just because by this point he's so miserable that even working with Sonic sounds better than the alternative. Doesn't mean he has to have to undergo a genuine change of heart to initially defect (that would be somewhat hard to swallow), but if life under Robotnik was only tolerable because he had delusions of ruling on his own, and that turned out to not be a remotely plausible scenario, he could genuinely side with the FFs out of sheer pragmatism.

...I think too much about things like this. Sorry.

Faded-Myth wrote:That said, I'm not big on the path that Penders gave him. A lot of that seemed totally out of character. Though personally I feel that way about a lot of...actually I'm going to end my train of thought here before I get too offensive.

Well, okay, to be honest I wasn't entirely keen on the "dying" part of the scenario, and even "dying in redemption" doesn't seem quite fitting for a character who's spent most of his time scheming and biding his time, but it's just a mite frustrating to read all these different writers that had plans for him that involved him getting within a stone's throw of redemption and then it... doesn't... quite... happen...

Actually, your Shadow and Snively question is a good one. I wonder...

Hey, thanks. I didn't really like most of Bollers' other ideas, but the Shadow-Snively alliance seemed like it could have gone somewhere. Plus, Snively's related to Gerald, and presumably Maria, as well... At any rate, I look forward to seeing the two of them meeting in Ian's work.
Shelly
BumbleNewbie

Postby Faded-Myth » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:20 am

Actually, I think if a story can get you thinking that much (happens to me all the friggin' time) it can only be a good thing.

One of my biggest frustrations is never seeing anything Snively planned come to any fruition, wether he failed or otherwise. He just sort of gets mentioned once or twice but any major plans he has seems to just go about in the background.

I have a lot of respect for his character, especially after the stunt he pulled in issue 50. Think about it. He risked obliterating himself (presumably) for a split second just get rid of his Uncle. That takes some guts.
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby General Tekno » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:19 am

Ian, I was flipping through my copy of issue 50 (aka SSS 6) when I noticed something I probably would have missed before - on the flashback page where Julian (Robotnik) is leading the charge against the Overlanders, you can see two familiar figures from your current issues - one a certain yellow bear with a hat, and another a certain green bird.

Are you taking those characters to be Spaz's Easter Eggs, or do you have any ideas to work them into continuity? Either they're Bean and Bark's parents, related to B and B, or B and B are in their 40s or something.
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:24 pm

Totally easter eggs...unless I can find some wacky way of including the Time Stones.

So, yeah, easter eggs :D
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby General Tekno » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:16 pm

YES!!! The Time Stones!

Make it a spinoff side story!
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby JoJo B. » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:57 pm

General Tekno wrote:Ian, I was flipping through my copy of issue 50 (aka SSS 6) when I noticed something I probably would have missed before - on the flashback page where Julian (Robotnik) is leading the charge against the Overlanders, you can see two familiar figures from your current issues - one a certain yellow bear with a hat, and another a certain green bird.

Are you taking those characters to be Spaz's Easter Eggs, or do you have any ideas to work them into continuity? Either they're Bean and Bark's parents, related to B and B, or B and B are in their 40s or something.

Rent-A-Hero No. 1, Ray (I think), Ristar, Deku, Astal and Astal's bird are also included. Below the arm of the blue haired overlander there seems to be someone else, although he/she is somewhat hidden and undistinguishable. There is more at the bottom, but it's covered up with another panel.
Last edited by JoJo B. on Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoJo B.
BumbleFan

Postby apprentice manta » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:01 pm

Speaking of B & B they're also on the cover of STH #51. Those guys sure do get around don't they?
apprentice manta
BumbleNoble

Postby JoJo B. » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:12 pm

I believe Bean was featured on a page in #76 as well.
JoJo B.
BumbleFan

Postby sonicxfactor » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:20 pm

JoJo B. wrote:
General Tekno wrote:Ian, I was flipping through my copy of issue 50 (aka SSS 6) when I noticed something I probably would have missed before - on the flashback page where Julian (Robotnik) is leading the charge against the Overlanders, you can see two familiar figures from your current issues - one a certain yellow bear with a hat, and another a certain green bird.

Rent-A-Hero No. 1, Ray (I think), Ristar, Deku, Astal and Astal's bird are also included. Below the arm of the blue haired overlander there seems to be someone else, although he/she is somewhat hidden and undistinguishable. There is more at the bottom, but it's covered up with another panel.

any chance of a scan?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby JoJo B. » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:19 pm

sonicxfactor wrote:
JoJo B. wrote:

any chance of a scan?

Sure, but to be on the safe side I should probably see if it's okay to post scans.
JoJo B.
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius