Ian Inquiries - Additional Extension!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby sonicxfactor » Fri May 26, 2006 5:50 pm

Ian, I feel that guns can help make the story more gripping if used properly. I’m not a supporter of guns (guns are bad). But the ones that Nack used in Heart Held Hostage made the story more compelling to read. For some reason I don’t think I would like the story as much if Nack and his crew were holding what looked like plastic toy guns pointing at Sally because then it would look plain silly, which is why I thought it was kind of stupid that Nack fired what looked like a prop from an old Star Trek episode at Mina. If he fired his six shooter at Mina I would feel that Nack really wanted her dead and buried, if he shot at her with his six shooter I would be like “oh my god he’s trying to kill her, he’s a bad man” but all I felt was “meh, Sonic is saving her from getting wet by a super soaker, BORING!!!”

Take the Streets Of Rage stories from Sonic The Comic. I remember scenes them when they used guns which both shocked and made the stories really exciting and cool. Some examples of shocking are in one story I remember was some robbers rob a 24/7, shoot the cop in the store and then we cut to a panel with the store manager reaching for baseball bat to defend himself or an emergency alarm button to get help (I cant remember which) we then see one of the robbers say to the store manager

Robber: trying to find something?
Manager: please I wasn’t going to use it.
Robber: yeah I wasn’t going to use this either.
(I can’t remember if those are the exact words used so any Fleetway fans feel free to correct me if I’m wrong)

And as soon as the robber says that we see a flash at the end of his shotgun. We don’t see any blood or gore but we do know that the robber has shot him in the face with his boom stick (ouch).

And one story which was cool used fire arms to make the story exciting was one where Axl one of the main characters is about to get rammed by some bad guys in a van, Axl then pulls out two hand guns and fires them at the speeding van which then blows up with the bad guys still in the flaming van. Again we see no blood or gore all we see are the faces of the bad guys in the van when its up in flames who don’t look like they are in extreme pain or anything they just look like they went out and forgot to lock the front door. For me that was a cool way to open up a story.

I’m not saying anything like have Nack shoot some random person in the face or anything like that I’m just saying firearms if used properly can make stories more exciting. In the Streets Of Rage stories when they drew the guns they didn’t base them on any real life firearms they made their own designs but they drew them to look both menacing and threatening at the same time. That’s what I think Archie should try and do, design the guns so that they look like they could really hurt you. But again both Fleetway and Archie are two different companies with two different views of what can and cant go in, and I respect that. I just think Archie should try and take more risks that’s all. Because risk can lead to great rewards.

But then try not to take any really big risks, as I don’t want you to get fired or anything. I’m helping you pay your rent by buying your quality stuff each month after all.

BTW I am really sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this sad time.
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri May 26, 2006 8:12 pm

I agree that the use of force can be used effectively to really push the moment. Ultimately, however, the rule from on high (higher than high) is "no realistic guns." It's a concession I'm willing to make since I think we can get the points across I want to get across while still using blasters.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Kamal » Fri May 26, 2006 11:06 pm

Sorry about all the gun talk. Let's get this thread back on track.

Will you be introducing any new chara in future stories? I only ask because in the last three issues we've already seen 4 new/redesigned chara, and one of the complaints that's been circulating for a long while is the weight of the cast is crushing the book.

At the very least, will we see more fleshing out like you gave Fiona's chara? 'Cause I'll say this—even though I'm still a staunch supporter of SonSal—you really gave me some empathy for her. That she's not just with Sonic for the heck of it.
Kamal
BumbleFan

Postby Kureejii Lea » Sat May 27, 2006 5:10 am

Kamal wrote:Will you be introducing any new chara in future stories? I only ask because in the last three issues we've already seen 4 new/redesigned chara, and one of the complaints that's been circulating for a long while is the weight of the cast is crushing the book.

Yeah, but a redesign doesn't add to the cast. I'm guessing you're counting Bean and Bark as the newbies... but who else?
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Kamal » Sat May 27, 2006 2:14 pm

Kureejii Lea wrote:
Kamal wrote:Will you be introducing any new chara in future stories? I only ask because in the last three issues we've already seen 4 new/redesigned chara, and one of the complaints that's been circulating for a long while is the weight of the cast is crushing the book.

Yeah, but a redesign doesn't add to the cast. I'm guessing you're counting Bean and Bark as the newbies... but who else?

Sorry, I wasn't reffering exclusively to Ian's parts on the book. The fourth being Blaze.
Kamal
BumbleFan

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Sat May 27, 2006 10:12 pm

Amy Rose became a freedom fighter long ago in a Romy Chacon. However, she's gotten nearly NO action at all, besides the mission in #152 and some cameos. What are you going to do about this?

Tommy Turtle gained nanite powers back in Sonic #154, but they haven't been used at all since. This is very awkward. What's the deal?

Is Emerl going to show up in StH? He has a fantastic Sonic Battle story, and, in my opinion, Sonic X took the wrong direction of adapting.

Thanks! ^^
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun May 28, 2006 12:25 pm

Kureejii Lea wrote:Yeah, but a redesign doesn't add to the cast. I'm guessing you're counting Bean and Bark as the newbies... but who else?

Sorry, I wasn't reffering exclusively to Ian's parts on the book. The fourth being Blaze.

The only new chars. to hit the scene will be SegaSonic, so by the end of the Sonic Riders adapt. we'll have six new characters. Scourge doesn't count - in my mind - because he's more of a replacement than an addition.

I know there's a metric ton of characters, and it's part of my (enjoyable) struggle to give everyone appropriate "screen time." I'll be doing my best to utilize the huge cast without making the story cumbersome under their weight.

EthanEmerald wrote:Amy Rose became a freedom fighter long ago in a Romy Chacon. However, she's gotten nearly NO action at all, besides the mission in #152 and some cameos. What are you going to do about this?

Amy will be getting more exposure as the stories progress.

EthanEmerald wrote:Tommy Turtle gained nanite powers back in Sonic #154, but they haven't been used at all since. This is very awkward. What's the deal?

Tommy's nanites will be addressed this year.

EtheanEmerald wrote:Is Emerl going to show up in StH? He has a fantastic Sonic Battle story, and, in my opinion, Sonic X took the wrong direction of adapting.

As much as I would adore to have Emerl (and Gemel) in the StHverse, it's been mandated by Sega that Emerl be SX-exclusive.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby sonicforever » Sun May 28, 2006 11:27 pm

1. Any chance we might see mreo character development in the stories? I have noticed that things seem a little rushed at times with fighting and what not going on in every page. While this is good in some aspects, most comics do not always have the main hero fighting the villian the entire issue. Take Spiderman. A lot of time is spent looking at how previous fights have affected Peter Parker as well as make a reader feel a bond with him as we osmetimes deal with the same things he has. This comic really hasn't had that in a while or what little they have had has been VERY out of character for all of them. All of the main characters (even Sonic) have vastly different personalities then they did in issues past. I know the war has supposedly changed some of them but really weren't they always doing battle with someone since the original Robotnick took over. How can everyone change in such a brief period of time

2. Why is Snively calling Eggman his Uncle? I know that maybe you are trying not to confuse new readers but as someone who has read pretty much every single issue of the comic, it is rather disturbing. Julian (the original Robotnick) is his uncle. He is dead. Eggman is from another Zone and is not related to Snively.
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby General Tekno » Mon May 29, 2006 11:12 am

Do you have any suggestions for those of us who would be prospective writers for Sonic for how to get involved with the comic? After all, you've said yourself that fan submissions won't cut it.

Oh, and will Mobie be making a return at all? (The caveman guy from pre-Sonic 50)
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby AvianTalon » Mon May 29, 2006 3:31 pm

That second question's already been answered (if not here, than at Sonic HQ.)

In short, no. Not in the foreseeable future.
AvianTalon
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon May 29, 2006 4:19 pm

sonicforever wrote:1. Any chance we might see mreo character development in the stories?

I assure you, I have plans for each character and directions I want to take them. The changes for certain characters may not come at the speed some would like, but there will be changes over time.

sonicforever wrote:2. Why is Snively calling Eggman his Uncle?

The issue of how Dr. Eggman and Robotnik-Prime's pasts align has been addressed at length. In terms of who they used to be, they're one and the same and thus Snively's uncle - at least that's how I'm writing it.

Otherwise, I am intentionally muddying the water on that one. A new reader isn't going to immediately grasp (or want to) the notion that Eggman-is-really-Robotnik-from-a-possible-future-who-was-roboticized-but-then-not-thanks-to-aliens. (Never mind all the body-hopping) I will acknowledge Dr. Eggman's twisted origin if need be, but for now, why linger on it?

General Tekno wrote:Do you have any suggestions for those of us who would be prospective writers for Sonic for how to get involved with the comic? After all, you've said yourself that fan submissions won't cut it.

As always - “never give up.”
Secondly - have something else to do.

I was intent on writing for Sonic, whether it took me four years or fifty to be accepted. But in that meanwhile, I was always writing and planning my own projects. That process kept me fresh, limber, and proved that “practice makes perfect.” As of this very moment in time, it’s unlikely another fan would get on for writing the book. But that could change tomorrow, or next week, or years down the line. Never take “no” as a final answer and always pursue your dream. It may eventually come true.

And thanks to AvianTalon for fielding that last one for me.
Last edited by Ian Flynn on Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby General Tekno » Mon May 29, 2006 5:14 pm

Thanks for the answers!

New question - this one regarding "Anonymous"...

Is he someone we've seen in the past? And for that matter, is he from the Prime 'zone' (reality) at this point in time, or is he from the future or something? In my mind at least, all the evidence lines up so that it HAS to be a Kintobor/Robotnik of some sort.
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue May 30, 2006 6:39 am

Since we're getting so close to the big reveal, I'm going to officially stop answering questions about Anonymous's identity to ensure he remains a surprise...after this one.

General Tekno wrote:Is he someone we've seen in the past? And for that matter, is he from the Prime 'zone' (reality) at this point in time, or is he from the future or something?

The first part has already been confirmed in another thread. As for the second: yes, Anonymous is from the Primeverse.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby AvianTalon » Tue May 30, 2006 11:03 am

No problemo, anytime! :D

I just remembered someone asking that same question not long ago, and I had also wondered myself at one point.(Not that I care too much about seeing Mobie again, but the first issue I ever got had him in it.)

Ah, the good old days when Many Hands had never defiled the comic, and Sonic 3 was the next big adaptation..... :roll:
AvianTalon
BumbleFan

Postby Sonic922 » Tue May 30, 2006 4:57 pm

1: Will we be seeing Scratch and Grounder(or Coconuts) ever again?

2: Do you think that Sonic can still say his original SatAM or AoStH("spin and win, Juice and Jam, Do it to It", etc.) lines in modern day?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius