Ian Inquiries - Additional Extension!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Sonic922 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:41 pm

I have a few questions:

1: What is your estimation to how long(issue wise) the comic will run, and will you still be working for it?

2:If Bunnie was ever fully roboticized, would her already robotic limbs look different from the rest of her.

3:You said a while back that you would look into the voices you use for the characters next time you write, did you ever find out?

4: Did you write Sleth Dogg's expression on the last page of TDS part 2? it kinda creeped me out
Thanks!
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby NackTheWeasel » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:08 pm

So they were poisoned... And they are dead.... And Nack did kill them... O_O... :shock:... Wow. I could see Nack killing them if they tried to kill him first, and I could see nack killing someone if he got paid enough money... or out of revenge... but "just in case"? And his former teammates? Yowza. Suddenly he doesen't seem to be so much of a comedic character... say... how long did it take for them to die after they ate the poisoned food? What poison did Nack use? Did the weasels have any family? Was Nack at all sorry for what he did?
NackTheWeasel
BumbleFan

Postby Sonic922 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:51 pm

NackTheWeasel wrote:So they were poisoned... And they are dead.... And Nack did kill them... O_O... :shock:... Wow. I could see Nack killing them if they tried to kill him first, and I could see nack killing someone if he got paid enough money... or out of revenge... but "just in case"? And his former teammates? Yowza. Suddenly he doesen't seem to be so much of a comedic character... say... how long did it take for them to die after they ate the poisoned food? What poison did Nack use? Did the weasels have any family? Was Nack at all sorry for what he did?

Yeah, wow. Now I'm starting to think. How did they die? Was it slowly? Did they just collapse?Did they know they were dying? Did they know Nack poisoned them?
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby General Tekno » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:00 am

I was watching the SaTAM episode with Ixis Naugus the other day, when it hit me - why does Eggman view Naugus as his "most hated nemesis"?

In the comic continuity, Naugus leaves into the Zone of Silence before the start of the Great War, leaving Kodos to pick up the pieces. Robotnik later sends Kodos into the Zone himself, and is defeated before Naugus' release. Naugus is then defeated BEFORE RoboRobotnik returns as Eggman - thus in the comics there is no apparent knowledge of either character save for Robotnik-Prime's mention of "Ixis it's creator" regarding the Zone back before issue 50.

Is this a continuity hole based on using SaTAM before the comic continuity? Or is there something I'm missing, such as an untold story?
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:17 am

Sonic922 wrote:1: What is your estimation to how long(issue wise) the comic will run, and will you still be working for it?

Neither are a sure bet, even when material has been created and paid for. If we assume everything I've written will be published as planned, I'll be on the book until at least 2008. Sonic itself has survived through incredible odds. I don't think it will ever end at the rate it's going.

Sonic922 wrote:2:If Bunnie was ever fully roboticized, would her already robotic limbs look different from the rest of her.

It depends. If you mean she was roboticized fully from the get-go, then yes, she'd be uniformly robotic. If you mean now, no, she would not look the same due to her upgrade. It should also be noted that it would have to be a spot-specific process. The Sally mini-series showed us what happens to roboticized robotics.

Sonic922 wrote:3:You said a while back that you would look into the voices you use for the characters next time you write, did you ever find out?

To reiterate what I said last time:
IanPotto wrote:I think the voices I hear are a mixture of all the other media. I hear my own voice alot since I do character voices from time to time. My voice is then flavored with these mixtures of the other voices (past and current) which eventually - and hopefully - makes for some nice dialogue. I'll have to pay more attention to myself as I write next time to be really sure. I'm curious to see for myself!

Looking back on the last script, I can't say much has changed. There is definitely some of my own voice in each character - like I was putting on a puppet show. The characters voices remain a mix of the various incarnations. So there ya have it - it's a voice of everyone all at once.

Sonic922 wrote:4: Did you write Sleth Dogg's expression on the last page of TDS part 2? it kinda creeped me out

Nope, the props go to Fry on that one. GO FRY!

NackTheWeasel wrote:how long did it take for them to die after they ate the poisoned food? What poison did Nack use? Did the weasels have any family? Was Nack at all sorry for what he did?

1) It would've been nearly instant. No chance for them to be medicated or even realize they were in trouble. Boom - quick and efficient.

2) Claudius' Denmark Brew. (I have no idea)

3) Everybody's got to come from somebody.

4) Maybe in that he lost some man-power, but he's better off alone anyway.

General Tekno wrote:I was watching the SaTAM episode with Ixis Naugus the other day, when it hit me - why does Eggman view Naugus as his "most hated nemesis"? ... Is this a continuity hole based on using SaTAM before the comic continuity? Or is there something I'm missing, such as an untold story?

I believe the line was just "hated nemesis," but I do believe you got me on that one. I seem to have muddled my SatAM and ArchieSonic continuity. Shame on me! If I can, I'll go back and fix that one day.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby General Tekno » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:06 pm

Wow! A chink in the armor! :)

I can't wait until we see a sidestory which explains them knowing each other away...
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby Tracy Yardley! » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:32 pm

Oh, come on. There's an easy way to explain the "hated nemesis" line. Just say the Robo-Robotnik had a fierce rivalry with Ixis Naugus back in the dimension that Robo-Robotnik came from, and he views this dimension's Ixis Naugus as one and the same. Piece of cake.

Tracy!
Tracy Yardley!

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:49 pm

That could work - to a degree. I'm treating Eggman's past self as pretty much analogous to the Prime Robotnik. This could work fine, the main split coming at about "EndGame," and it makes referencing past events less messy.

It also leads us right back to the original "problem." And to go with Tracy's suggestion (which would certainly work), it still dredges up the fact this isn't Prime Robotnik - which is a plot point I'd like to steer clear of.

In the end, it's a loose end that might get my attention later. But Eggman hates/fears Naugus, this has been made clear, and it's all we really need for right now.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby General Tekno » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:40 pm

Now hold on there, Ian - Tracey has a decent idea.

Although I'm a bit confused on the timeline in Eggman's original universe -although the Robo-Robotniks in 19 and 22 seemed moreso to be different characters, 75 made them the same, which takes reconciliation as it causes problems. The biggest problem is that when Robotnik Prime shows up in Robo-Robotnik's universe in 22, it is a possible future - which means that the ULTIMATE ANNIHILATOR ALREADY HAPPENED. And that Robo-Robotnik somehow went back in time to the Prime Universe or something, or time flows faster in his universe - who knows?

Here's what I can figure the best from the timeline - let me know what you think:

- Robotnik turns the FFs into cyborgs in his timeline
- FFs fight back, forcing him to roboticize himself
- Builds Giant Borg, gets beat by 1000 Sonics
- Uploads self to sattelite
- Time passes. Cyborg implants are reversed, SONIC AND SALLY HAVE CHILDREN, King Acorn stays in Z. of Silence (evidently)
- ULTIMATE ANNIHILATOR takes place in Prime Universe - the problem here is that when Robotnik shows up in Robo's universe he's already been defeated. It must take place at some point here because Sonic and Sally have kids a few years old in Robo's universe - timeline confusion galore. However, we could theorise that the UA's tampering with zones is what allows Robotnik to survive and get pushed into Robo's universe, and then get sent back to where he came from.
- Robotnik Prime enters the scene - Robo-Robotnik sends him home, scans his brain
- Robo-Robotnik ressurects himself, retakes Robotropolis in his universe - FFs are beaten in one fell swoop (he comes out of nowhere, really)
- Robo-Robotnik conquers Mobius - he'd detected the Ultimate Annihilator wave years back and knows there is no Robotnik there - so he travels to that universe and 'rectifies' things.

As I said, 75 created more problems than it solved by making the Robotniks in 19 and 22 the same beings - I'd like to see your take on the timeline taking those two issues into account.
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby sonicxfactor » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:08 pm

Ian, you said you’re on the comic till 2008. Say it isn’t so.

Anyway question time.

1: loved #163. Fry’s art wasn’t to bad, though I noticed some similarities to Jon Greys style, particularly in the one page battle scene and how he drew Vector. Did Fry borrow some of his style?

2: do you plan to use The Babylon Rouges in the future other then using them just for Sonic Riders stuff?

3: M is dead, good. Or do you plan to bring her back to get revenge on her daddy?

4: how long will Anonymous be around in the comic for?

5: will the Xorda return or will they be mentioned when the Black Arms show up?

6: I noticed near the end of TDS part 2 when Fiona ask Sonic if he’s ok we see Sally in the corner looking at them with a glum look. Do I see a hint of jealousy in her eyes? If so are we likely to see a Sally Sonic or Sally Fiona confrontation in the next few issues?

7: I heard you draw a bit; will you be pencilling any of your stories in the future?

8: was it your idea to give Ray a jacket in #163?

9: now that Sonic Team is no more and Yuji Naki has now set up his own company called PROPE what are your thoughts on the subject?

10: will you be seeing the new Superman movie?
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby NackTheWeasel » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:00 pm

So, I have some more questions about the whole Nack poisons his old teammates thing. Sorry, I've just been thinking about it too much...

1. How are the other prisoners? Did they die too?

2. Where did Nack get the poison? He couldn’t have had it on him, he would have been checked, and he said "on his way out" so he couldn't have gone out to get it. And who just leaves super-strong poisons just lying around?

3. I need to rephrase my old question. Did the weasels have any family that cared about them dying?

4. Will this be referred to later, like saying "Oh yeah, and some prisoners were found dead in Knothole City Prison?", or would that be to, err... graphic?

5. Will the FFs find out, or will they even care? If so, will they tie it to Nack?

Sorry, but when it comes to Nack, I always have a lot of questions...
NackTheWeasel
BumbleFan

Postby Faded-Myth » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:32 am

Hey Ian... I'm mostly asking this because I'm curious.

A little while back I was researching Madagascan mammels with a friend and I stumbled across a species of mammal called the Tenrec. It belongs to the family Tenrecidae, a rather extensive one at that which bare similarities to shrews and hedgehogs and mice, including the Greater hedgehog tenrec.
The reason I bring these up is because they're often referred to as "Fake Hedgehogs".

Just curious if you knew about that. Either Sonic Team did their homework or they took the name really seriously XD
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:52 am

General Tekno wrote:Time line proposal

I suppose that could work for the most part, except the scene of Robo-Robotnik roboticizing himself shows a 100% fleshy Sonic. It is a bit of a jumble to sort out, and I will eventually to the best of my ability. It's not a high priority right now, though, and a bit of confusion unneeded for the new/casual readers.

sonicxfactor wrote:Ian, you said you’re on the comic till 2008. Say it isn’t so.

That's not what I said at all. Due to the unpredictability of the business, I can't say much with any kind of certaintay. However, I know that I've written material that far in advance. I don't see any reason why I won't be writing well beyond that, but it's too far ahead to even speculate on.

sonicxfactor wrote:1: loved #163. Fry’s art wasn’t to bad, though I noticed some similarities to Jon Greys style, particularly in the one page battle scene and how he drew Vector. Did Fry borrow some of his style?

That's something to ask Jim.

sonicxfactor wrote:2: do you plan to use The Babylon Rouges in the future other then using them just for Sonic Riders stuff?

I'd like to. Only time will tell.

sonicxfactor wrote:3: M is dead, good. Or do you plan to bring her back to get revenge on her daddy?

I took out all viable options for her return in StH#163. Also, see my "dead = dead" policy.

sonicxfactor wrote:4: how long will Anonymous be around in the comic for?

Can't comment - it'd ruin the surprise(s).

sonicxfactor wrote:will the Xorda return or will they be mentioned when the Black Arms show up?

Already answered that one.

sonicxfactor wrote:6: I noticed near the end of TDS part 2 when Fiona ask Sonic if he’s ok we see Sally in the corner looking at them with a glum look. Do I see a hint of jealousy in her eyes? If so are we likely to see a Sally Sonic or Sally Fiona confrontation in the next few issues?

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe =D

sonicxfactor wrote:7: I heard you draw a bit; will you be pencilling any of your stories in the future?

I don't plan to, no. I'm alright, but I'm not as good as those who have come before me.

sonicxfactor wrote:8: was it your idea to give Ray a jacket in #163?

I'm pretty sure that was all Jon Grey.

sonicxfactor wrote:9: now that Sonic Team is no more and Yuji Naki has now set up his own company called PROPE what are your thoughts on the subject?

I honestly can't speculate since most of this coperate musical chairs goes over my head. Sonic Team still functions, in some way or another, and the Prope set-up sounds alot like a new Sonic Team of sorts. We'll see how it all plays out.

sonicxfactor wrote:10: will you be seeing the new Superman movie?

Eventually, yes. Primarily for Kevin Spacey.

NackTheWeasel wrote:1. How are the other prisoners? Did they die too?

There hasn't been evidence of any other prisoners, but no, Nack would've made a precision attack.

NackTheWeasel wrote:2. Where did Nack get the poison? He couldn’t have had it on him, he would have been checked, and he said "on his way out" so he couldn't have gone out to get it. And who just leaves super-strong poisons just lying around?

Nack is as crafty as they get. He probably had it stashed away on his person somehow. Or maybe he put together the poison from what was available in the prison. It's his trade secret.

NackTheWeasel wrote:3. I need to rephrase my old question. Did the weasels have any family that cared about them dying?

I sincerely doubt it, especially since they're D-level throw-away characters.

NackTheWeasel wrote:4. Will this be referred to later, like saying "Oh yeah, and some prisoners were found dead in Knothole City Prison?", or would that be to, err... graphic?

We might touch on it whenever we see Nack, but I doubt it.

NackTheWeasel wrote:5. Will the FFs find out, or will they even care? If so, will they tie it to Nack?

Of course they'll care - they're compassionate "people." Nack's disappearance and the sudden death of his not-happy-with-him gang will also lead to a pretty solid assumption.

Faded=Myth wrote:Hey Ian... I'm mostly asking this because I'm curious.

A little while back I was researching Madagascan mammels with a friend and I stumbled across a species of mammal called the Tenrec. It belongs to the family Tenrecidae, a rather extensive one at that which bare similarities to shrews and hedgehogs and mice, including the Greater hedgehog tenrec.
The reason I bring these up is because they're often referred to as "Fake Hedgehogs".

Just curious if you knew about that. Either Sonic Team did their homework or they took the name really seriously XD

Yup, and after seeing pictures of the little thing, I wish Shadow had been made a tenrec. I can understand it would lose the flavor of "rival hedgehogs," but they've also proven to be no stranger to obscure species. Honestly, how many of us here knew what and echidna was before Sonic 3?
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby JoJo B. » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:14 pm

Hello again Ian,

Would you mind explaining the alphabetical classifications for the cast? Just a few examples of characters that would fit into each of the groups. I'm guessing D level characters are one hit wonders and dead characters, as you used the example of Jeff, Karl and Connor. Just as A level character are Sonic, the Freedom Fighers, the Chaotix, Eggman, etc.?

Also this may sound a little silly, but will we ever find out why Antoine has a French accent? Does he even know how to speak French fluently? I guess that goes for his father too.

Will there be any mention of the Uber-Borg (from Locke's vision, also Sonic Live!) in the M:25YL stories in #166 and #167. Will the sequence with Knuckles ever go answered?

Finally, do you plan on including any material in the comic that didn't make it to the final Sonic games, but were featured in prototype versions and such? (ex. the Sonic 2 beta.)

Thanks once again.
Last edited by JoJo B. on Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
JoJo B.
BumbleFan

Postby General Tekno » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:40 pm

Oh, Ian - regarding your Naugus boo-boo, I think I have an easy idea to fix it up based on Tracey's idea.

Robo-Robotnik claims to have come over to Sonic-Prime's mobius because his Robotnik was dead. What if the REAL reason had to do with him accidentally loosing Naugus after he beat Sonic?

That could set up as a villain a parallel Naugus who rules over that version of Mobius - it's not a fan idea, it's merely a hypothesis based on what is printed in the comic. (they're different things)
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius