Ian Inquiries - Additional Extension!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby JoJo B. » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:47 am

I know this isn't the first time a scene like this has be shown in the comic but, in the first panel to Mogul's flashback in #163, Mogul is seen walking away from what appears to be a Mobian cave bear. Is this cave bear supposed to be Mobie? If so, does this mean Mobie has some connection with Mogul?

Second, would Dr. Finitevus be considered a technomage?

Thanks!
JoJo B.
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:22 am

Penpen2nd wrote:I was wondering will there ever be another Sonic trade paperback?

I'm not sure how much I can say on the topic - other than for you to be patient until the end of the year ;)

Dirk Amoeba wrote:Will you be following up on Jet's mention of the Armada ? Is Jet in any way related or connected to Predator Hawk?

I definitely want to in the future. And, no, they just happen to both be hawks.

Dirk Amoeba wrote:What's the plural of "Ixis," or is it used in such a way that it will never have to be pluralized?

Well, if we were to treat "Ixis" like a Latin noun, the singular and plural would both be "-is" (assuming the root word is "Ix"). But "Ixii" looks fun. We'll see what I decide on should the script ever call for multiple Ixis/Ixii mentioning.

Dirk Amoeba wrote:I notice that when you introduced the Destructix, you brought new readers up to speed by having them call each other by name. Wouldn't it have been easier and seem less forced to simply place a small editorial box by each character? The way it was done, Lightning Lynx and Drago got left out. I mena, it's not as though the issue was lacking in editorial boxes, but it might have felt more natural. Did you consider this approach?

I did consider the box-labelling. I went with the dialogue references since the page art was already filled to bursting and I didn't want to clutter up the scene further with the little yellow boxes. If there was a panel better dedicated to a group shot, then I suppose the box-labels would be better.

Dirk Amoeba wrote:Speaking of editorial boxes, how is it decided when one is necessary and when the story flows better without it?

I usually do the placement of the "editor's notes." It's just another aspect of the script Mike and I go over during the revision process. If the box distracts, we nix it. If we think we need to reference something more, we add it.

General Tekno wrote:1. How do you explain the fact that although Robotropolis was devastated by Mecha Sonic and Mecha Knuckles impacting the nuclear stockpiles there, there was no radiation that needed to be contained by a shield?

I honestly don't have a canon answer for you on that one. With Robotropolis a radioactive bubble now anyway, the matter is pretty much moot.

General Tekno wrote:2. You said 163 covered my Void/Zone of Silence question - but I don't see a mention of the Void. Why can't Eggman just open a Void nexus above all the combatants and suck them all in in one fell swoop? Or is that his plan?

Page 8, Panel 1 (counting the ads). It shows Naugus wasn't just lying around while still banished to the Zone of Silence.

JoJo B. wrote:I know this isn't the first time a scene like this has be shown in the comic but, in the first panel to Mogul's flashback in #163, Mogul is seen walking away from what appears to be a Mobian cave bear. Is this cave bear supposed to be Mobie? If so, does this mean Mobie has some connection with Mogul?

Yep, that's Mobie the Cave-Bear! His only connection to Mogul is that he was present when Mogul's first rule over Mobius was toppled.

JoJo B. wrote:Second, would Dr. Finitevus be considered a technomage?

Maaaaaaaaaaaybe! I'm keeping quiet on Finitevus.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby GroudonMan » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:23 am

*Finished reading 163, SPOILERS*

Wow. . . just, wow. . . hey Ian, remember what I said when I first posted here about greatly disliking Mammoth Mogul? Well, I was right when I said you'll make him an interesting character! xD

I don't know what it is, he's really not very different from before, but he just seems a lot more intimidating! It could be his beat-down on Naugus that has done it. . . .

Anyway, I just loved the issue! Mogul rocks, Naugus is back, M is toast, all is good!

I absolutely love the Naugus art at the bottom of page four! It has inspired me to begin a Naugus model! (I'm a 3D artist, and have recently been making dozens of Sonic characters, though with the exception of Snively they have all been from the game series. Shadow the Hedgehog has the best CGI ever!) Naugus has always been one of my favorite Archie characters.

Okay, some Q's. ;)

1. Recalling a previous question on the voices of Sonic characters, do you imagine Naugus as he is in the SatAM cartoon series? I'm very fond of that voice and way of talking, and have learned to precisely imitate it. :P

2. What happened to Shadow after Scourge dissapeared? He apparently didn't go back to Sonic and the gang, and he hasn't shown up at Eggman's. Just hanging out somewhere?

3. Would it be possible to tell us what issue Anonymous will be revealed in? I'd like to know so that I can form my conclusion on his/her identity before the actual issue comes out. :P

4. Dunno if you could answer this, but Anonymous spoke in issue 163. Could you perhaps describe what his voice sounds like? :P After all, Dr Eggman got to hear it, so why can't we? He'll have an unfair advantage guessing who Anonymous is! xD Okay, I'm insane. Ignore me.

5. Have you heard the rumors that sprouted from the GameFAQ's forums about a possible ending for Sonic Next-Gen, and what do you think about them? Apparently it was some kind of joke, but the original poster did not confirm that.

Oh, and full-body shot of new Eggman! I bet you can't wait to use him, huh Ian? ;P

All I can think of now, but gimme a bit. :P I'm terribly shy in real life, but I'm a chatterbox online.[/img]
GroudonMan
BumbleNewbie

Postby sonicforever » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:28 pm

Ugh Now they have turned Robotnick into your average overweight American with what looks like jogging pants on. I still prefer Julian design over all of them but this is definetly even less intimidating then Robotnick design for Sonic 1-3 and whatnot.

1. Will you make Metal Sonic into a respectable villian again? Since the original melted in that pile of lava we have had a horrible copy and a bunch of Sonic ish clones that were just plain retarded. The Heroes design for him is horrbile. I mena maybe at least a B class villian but come on he is Sonic's match (i know we have shadow and all but hey Metal was here first) and he has basically the same personcality as Sonic. Well at least in that 2 parter he did.

2. *Spoilers for 163*

So why was project Metal Snively destroyed?

3. Did you take any writing clases in colege or soemthing? What in those classes helped you the most.?
sonicforever
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:22 am

GroudonMan wrote:1. Recalling a previous question on the voices of Sonic characters, do you imagine Naugus as he is in the SatAM cartoon series? I'm very fond of that voice and way of talking, and have learned to precisely imitate it.

I definitely had Naugus's SatAM-voice in mind while writing - especially his debute line.

GroudonMan wrote:2. What happened to Shadow after Scourge dissapeared? He apparently didn't go back to Sonic and the gang, and he hasn't shown up at Eggman's. Just hanging out somewhere?

He went on back to New Megaopolis to continue working for Eggman. While I couldn't show that, I tried to imply he would early on in StH#160's dialogue with Sonic.

GroudonMan wrote:3. Would it be possible to tell us what issue Anonymous will be revealed in? I'd like to know so that I can form my conclusion on his/her identity before the actual issue comes out.

I'm pretty sure I already confirmed it as StH#164. Either way, I don't think I spoil anything by saything that.

GroudonMan wrote:4. Dunno if you could answer this, but Anonymous spoke in issue 163. Could you perhaps describe what his voice sounds like? After all, Dr Eggman got to hear it, so why can't we? He'll have an unfair advantage guessing who Anonymous is! xD Okay, I'm insane. Ignore me.

I said I'd quit with the Anonymous questions ;)

GroudonMan wrote:5. Have you heard the rumors that sprouted from the GameFAQ's forums about a possible ending for Sonic Next-Gen, and what do you think about them? Apparently it was some kind of joke, but the original poster did not confirm that.

I think you're refering to the one where the 4th Hedgehog is "Nova" and Knuckles and Blaze die? Yeah - totally, 100% bogus

GroudonMan wrote:Oh, and full-body shot of new Eggman! I bet you can't wait to use him, huh Ian? ;P

IF we ever use that model.

sonicforever wrote:1. Will you make Metal Sonic into a respectable villian again?

I'd like to write a Metal Sonic that is void of personality. One that is a humorless, soulless calculating device that is built to out-class and defeat Sonic at every turn. To me, that kind of relentlessness void of humanity is alot scarier than other Metal Sonic's I've seen - across all mediums. So if you like the sounds of that, and that gets approved in the future, then that's the Metal Sonic you'll get.

sonicforever wrote:So why was project Metal Snively destroyed?

1) Because Eggman went into a passionate extreme and destroyed everything M-like (sans ADAM).
2) It was a loose end that needed tying up =P

sonicforever wrote:3. Did you take any writing clases in colege or soemthing? What in those classes helped you the most.?

I took a number of literary study courses and a short fiction class/writing workshop. I think what I gained the most from them was seeing (and learning how to see) the big picture in terms of what the author was constructing. All the smaller themes, the word choices, the placement of characters and events in their own geography - how every little thing has to be considered to put together a really solid narrative.

I try to apply all that to my writing of anything, including Sonic. There were all the elements introduced before my time that I had to consider and weave into my plans - many of which you're seeing the fruits of now. Then there's my own vision for the future of the book with elements that have immediate pay-off (Evil Sonic into Scourge) and other elements that have been planted in StH#160 and will grow into something way down the line.

...it also makes me write really long replies, so there ya go!
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby JoJo B. » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:18 am

So was Project Metal Snively supposed to produce a mechanical duplicate Snively upon completion? The reason I ask is I wanted to know if this was going to be an exact copy of the Snively we all know and love, which would mimic his personality in everyway, or something similar to what Metal Sonic is to Sonic.

From what was seen in #140, the looks of the project were quite terrifying. With the two Mobians encased each in Egg Grapes, and the bizarre helmet and armor the shadowy Snively figure wore, it would have been interesting to find out what the end result would have been capable of.

Thanks again, Ian!
JoJo B.
BumbleFan

RE

Postby EthanEmerald » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:20 pm

I believe it was the Metal Snively seen in #135. Correct?
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby JoJo B. » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:09 pm

Ah, then that's Metal Snively? I always thought that was some sort of continuity error, the fact that Snively was still roboticized in that issue, but I guess not (I'm actually glad to find that's been cleared up, it was bugging me).

Although, the box in the panel where Eggman mentions the project in #163, references #140.

One more question Ian, what are the names of Nack's three henchmen, or perhaps soon to be ex-henchmen?
JoJo B.
BumbleFan

Postby General Tekno » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:37 pm

That's because a lab with the project name on its door was seen in 140 in the background - you can see a metal Snively there.

My own theory is that after his mechanical servants proved so unreliable and easily manipulatable (M and ADAM) Eggman goes back to organics like Snively.

Although why can't you give him a Crabmeat or something? I know that was Robotnik-Prime's thing, but Crabmeat was a great foil to whom plans could be spilled!
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby Dirk Amoeba » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:20 pm

Questions, Ian!

In #163, the Destructix is awful quick to rejoin Mogul... or at least, Simian and the rest of the Former Foursome are. In that same panel, being Page 5, Panel 4, we see Drago visibly startled by this. He seems to warm to the idea fairly quickly, but the fact remains that he and Sleuth have no history with Mogul and seem to be merely following the rest of the Destructix. Will we see any friction within the Destructix over this?

Speaking of the Destructix, is the Destructix likely to gain and lose members as the Freedom Fighters has, or is it more likely to stay a largely permanent group much like the Chaotix?

Finally, there was once a time when pages in the comic were numbered. This has now become very rare indeed. Is this Mike's decision, or someone higher up at Archie, or the decission of the penciller on any given story?
Dirk Amoeba
BumbleFan

Postby Faded-Myth » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:21 pm

Gotta agree witht hat last bit. Its difficult to quote a certain page now without having to skip through the pages and count em manually, or just describe the events of the page.

I guess you could call that a good thing since it means your totally accurate with your referencing =P

I reakon the page numbers should be a flipbook. Tails runnng along and he trips over atthe end or runs into a wall.

Ok. Maybe not XD
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby JoJo B. » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:41 am

Faded-Myth wrote:I reakon the page numbers should be a flipbook. Tails runnng along and he trips over atthe end or runs into a wall.

Ok. Maybe not XD

I'm afraid the comic isn't thick enough, although it's an awesome idea. :D
JoJo B.
BumbleFan

Postby Faded-Myth » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:44 am

Staple a hundred issues together XD
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman

Postby General Tekno » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:08 am

Ooh! Another question!

The Destructix were working for Anonymous at one point, as were the children of Uma Arachnis (see 163). Although they're now serving Mogul and Naugus, does this mean that they're STILL serving Anonymous?

Because if so, than Anon has the henchies of all 3 major threats to Sonic under his command...

And also to note - the Destructix are mentioned in future solicitaitons, I seem to recall.

And was Nack referring to the other weasels in prison when he talked about leaving a "gift" behind? Because he'd obviously know that they won't be happy about him ditching them...
General Tekno
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:06 am

JoJo B. wrote:So was Project Metal Snively supposed to produce a mechanical duplicate Snively upon completion?

I don't really know what Karl had planned for that, so I named it the "Metal Snively Project" and went from there.

JoJo B. wrote:One more question Ian, what are the names of Nack's three henchmen, or perhaps soon to be ex-henchmen?

The three weasels are posthumously known as Karl, Jeff and Connor.

Dirk Amoeba wrote:In #163, the Destructix is awful quick to rejoin Mogul... or at least, Simian and the rest of the Former Foursome are. In that same panel, being Page 5, Panel 4, we see Drago visibly startled by this. He seems to warm to the idea fairly quickly, but the fact remains that he and Sleuth have no history with Mogul and seem to be merely following the rest of the Destructix. Will we see any friction within the Destructix over this?

As the Script Bits! will show (if I can remember to include the page), Drago's expression is one of fear. He's never encountered someone like Mogul, so he's too shaken to bow. If he wasn't such a craven coward, he would've followed suit.

Drago is a moron with a basic desire for "power," so I foresee him staying with the Destructix in an effort to gain and maintain some status. Sleuth, however, is far more cunning while sharing the same desire. Mogul is nearly god-like in power, so staying in his service would be a good thing. And their effectiveness aside, the rest of the Destructix are a lot of potential power players that someone like Sleuth could use - should the situation arise.

Plus, they're all violent villains, so of course they're going to bicker and fight often.

Dirk Amoeba wrote:Speaking of the Destructix, is the Destructix likely to gain and lose members as the Freedom Fighters has, or is it more likely to stay a largely permanent group much like the Chaotix?

Yes, the membership will change over time.

Dirk Amoeba wrote:Finally, there was once a time when pages in the comic were numbered. This has now become very rare indeed. Is this Mike's decision, or someone higher up at Archie, or the decission of the penciller on any given story?

Y'know, I don't know why they aren't numbered anymore. I like numbered pages. I'll talk with Mike and see if we can't get those reintroduced into the book.

General Tekno wrote:The Destructix were working for Anonymous at one point, as were the children of Uma Arachnis (see 163). Although they're now serving Mogul and Naugus, does this mean that they're STILL serving Anonymous?

I'll need to look up the issue again, but the robots that attacked Sonic and Infiltrator-Tommy were replicas of the Metal Destructix. We've never seen the flesh-and-blood Destructix working with Anonymous in real-time.

The Children of Arachnis were summoned to the Egg Vineyard with the promise of aiding their master - a debt of honor passed on to them by their late mother. They weren't knowingly helping Anonymous destroy the Ancient Walkers. Anonymous is setting up dominos and letting them fall, not really actively attacking. Anonymous's effectiveness is based off of multiple cause-and-effect scenarios.

General Tekno wrote:And was Nack referring to the other weasels in prison when he talked about leaving a "gift" behind? Because he'd obviously know that they won't be happy about him ditching them...

Yes, he's referring to the weasel gang. They were already ready to tear him apart of the kidnapping debacle. That's why Nack made sure they'd never be able to come after him.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius