Ian Inquiries - Additional Extension!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Ian Inquiries - Additional Extension!

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue May 23, 2006 8:14 am

Good glory! We've done gone and made thirty pages of feedback! Ridonkulous? Perhaps. Awesome? Definitely! :D

I will be making a Table of Contents sticky-thread so the first post of this thread isn't so gianormous. Y'all are still expected to read it, 'cause if I catch ya, I will give you such a look! ;)

Anyhoo, here's the straggler Qs from the last thread. First is Cole since I missed him in the last round of answers:

Cole wrote:Can you tell me, once and for all, what's allowed in Sonic as far as weapons goes, and how real they can be/look?

The firearms in "Heart Held Hostage" and the Great War arc were flukes. There will be no more realistic firearms in the comic. Other weapons - like swords and other melee weapons - will have to be handled carefully.

sonicforever wrote:1. So what are your thoughs on the thin ice some people claim Sony is standing on right now after announcing the price of the PS3 and basically copying more ideas from their opponents ( Xbox Live, the motion sensor controller, and the home button in the middle of the controller like the 360)?

I think emulation of other successful accomplishments is natural. If you want a rumble feature or online play on your X-Box, you'd want it on your PS2 as well. What I find so amusing is the floundering way they presented it, especially their motion-detecting controller. Perhaps is was just poor timing, but with a product revealed to be such weak-sauce right after the superior wiimote is wince-inducing.

I view the PS3 and something of a sleek Hindenburg: potentially great with even greater potential to crash and burn. The graphics didn't strike me as any more revolutionary as the 360's offerings, nor the beauty of the Wii. (Revolution!) The online play (as far as I've heard) hasn't been detailed other than to say "hey, we're on the interweb too!" I didn't hear of any huge launch titles, but it's very possible I missed the news. And then the price, which is ludicrous. I know there's a comparative graph out there showing console prices with inflation taken into account, but you'll also notice the most expensive of the systems didn't endure.

Nintendo looks like they're marketing on being fun. Microsoft looks like it's banking on franchises and their solid Live play. Sony, so far as I've seen, seems to be on the pretentious snob platform. There's always pride before the fall.

sonicforever wrote:2. Name a comic from Marvel and a comic from DC that you would like to write for should you get the chance. Ok thats not a question but whatever (hearty laughter).

A comic? As in singular? Eesh. For Marvel, I'd like to get my hands on Ghost Rider or Venom, among others. Nothing immediately springs to mind for DC.

sonicforever wrote:3. What annoys and concerns you most about the state of the Sonic series as a comic and the franchise as a whole as it is obvious that at least game wise something is still not entirely there?

I'm quite happy with the comic right now since I'm doing pretty much everything I've wanted to do with it :D As for the game franchise, to me it feels like it's somewhat floundering for a direction. I think if they were to pursue/refine the experiences of SADX and SRush, they'd be set. Sonic06 just might be the former, so we'll see. I've been enjoying the games - for the most part - since their revival in '99.

sonicforever wrote:4. Any chance you could convince Archie to make a Mega Man X comic? Dreamwave or whoever it was was supposed to be coming out with one but they kinda died.

The legalities of that, nevermind the licensing fees, put the kibosh on that immediately - along with Mario, Kirby and StarFox. (Gee, has Ian attempted to pursue those...?)

nuckles87 wrote:Have you given any thought of what you'll do after StH? Or is this what you really want to do? Will you be breaking Ken's record?

Ultimately, I'd love for comic book writing to be my bread and butter. I've got some BumbleKing projects in the works to pursue that, and I'd jump upon most other projects if they came my way/were available. If I last half as long as Ken does, I'll be a happy man. Right now, I'm simply loving what I'm doing and will keep at it for as long as they'll keep me.

JoJo B. wrote:Will we ever find out what became of Robotnik's parents?

Unlikely, since that would require at least some touching upon Robotnik-Prime, and that's a jumble I'd rather not expose new readers to unless I had to. But let us rationalize...

Robotnik made a point of seeking out his family among the Overlander ships. Since we didn't see his parents with his brother, we can assume they did not go on the transit or died during it. Let's go with the former.

We know Robotnik was using the remaining Overlanders for his experiments (S#50), so there was some population remaining. Since nobody in Knothole seemed concerned with them, we can assume it was a very small population. We can go further and - considering what he did to Colin - Robotnik did away with his own kin during the days of the First Robotnik War.

OR - his parents, now well on in their ages, escaped to the human territories and now reside in secrecy within the United Federation. Perhaps.

Take your pick, since I don't plan on officially addressing the point in the near future.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

WOW.

Postby AvianTalon » Tue May 23, 2006 4:26 pm

Holy-Gigantic-Table-Of-Contents, Ian-man!

Hehehe...OK. I DO have a question that I believe hasn't been addressed here. Dulcy (whom I rather dislike, she's only been used effectively a few times) has a totally messed-up continuity now springing from her recent two-part backup story that I'd rather forget. Two major issues:
1) Even though it (I think...) takes place around present continuity time, there are roboticized dragons under Eggman's control.

2) The issue claimed that Dulcy couldn't use fire with the magic ring in her nose, yet she did in Battle Royal.

Again, I'd rather just forget that that story ever existed, but it was in the comic so I was wondering your take on the two problems. Thanks!
AvianTalon
BumbleFan

Postby Sonic922 » Tue May 23, 2006 4:40 pm

What time periods do the back-up stories take place in a common case, before or after the main plot?

Will you explain how could Robotnik Roboticized all the dragon and keep the old roboticized Dragons in "Price of Flame"? Did this take place way before "The last Mobian" or was that actuallly anonymous since we only saw Robotnik on a screen

Do you think it's possible We will ever learn Sonic's real name? We already know his middle name
Last edited by Sonic922 on Tue May 23, 2006 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonic922
BumbleFan

Postby sonicxfactor » Tue May 23, 2006 5:35 pm

Just got 162 Ian, great job. Anyway I just want to know about the Snively back up in that issue. I see that he would show his true colours and join Robotnik again but I just want to know if the Eggman fleet that was shown in the last scene will be leading up to something big in issue 175 or just after the next M25YL has ended?

Also it was good to see that Snively has some heart by getting Hope to try and leave unlike Robotnik who probably couldn’t care less what happens to her. Am I guessing we will see big things happening to Hope in the near future?

Sonic922 wrote:
Will you explain how could Robotnik Roboticized all the dragon and keep the old roboticized Dragons in "Price of Flame"? Did this take place way before "The last Mobian" or was that actuallly anonymous since we only saw Robotnik on a screen

I heard that "The Price Flame" took place before the events of issue 125. Although I can't confirm this so correct me if I'm wrong Ian.
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue May 23, 2006 8:06 pm

AvianTalon wrote:1) Even though it (I think...) takes place around present continuity time, there are roboticized dragons under Eggman's control.

2) The issue claimed that Dulcy couldn't use fire with the magic ring in her nose, yet she did in Battle Royal.

Again, I'd rather just forget that that story ever existed, but it was in the comic so I was wondering your take on the two problems. Thanks!

I don't see much of a problem, really. I'd have to do some serious digging and date check to see if "Battle Royal" did cause a discrepency. However, Dulcy can no breath fire again and her lack thereof hasn't impacted previous stories. No harm, no foul.

As for the robian dragons, the story explained they were underground during the Bems' mass derobotization. This, again, is moot since they were all melted down and their spirits returned to the cyclical-spiritual-rebirth thing dragons have.

And to prempt Sonic922's question, I'd say "Price of Flame" occured after "The Last Robian" and "Home."

Sonic922 wrote:What time periods do the back-up stories take place in a common case, before or after the main plot?

It depends on the story, but they're usually cocurrent to the main continuity.

Sonic922 wrote:Do you think it's possible We will ever learn Sonic's real name? We already know his middle name

"Sonic" is his real name as far as I'm concerned. I don't foresee us returning to that issue.

sonicxfactor wrote:I just want to know if the Eggman fleet that was shown in the last scene will be leading up to something big in issue 175 or just after the next M25YL has ended?

I wouldn't show something like the Egg Fleet without using it. Wait and see ;)

sonicxfactor wrote: Am I guessing we will see big things happening to Hope in the near future?

I wouldn't say "near future," no. Hope is something of a tertiary character who happened to be of great use in "Ties that Bind." Whether she stays in Knothole or "flees" to a city-state of the United Federation remains to be seen.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby AvianTalon » Tue May 23, 2006 8:27 pm

Thanks! That clears it up a bit.

The discrepency in Battle Royal is that Dulcy breathed fire along with Archemedes to create a diversion for the Freedom Fighters and the Chaotix, but since she had the gold ring in her nose she shouldn't have been able to.

Again, not a HUGE discrepency... but it's there.

Can't wait for the next issue... the past month or two I've been counting days until the next issue is supposed to come out in anticipation, something I haven't done in a few years! (My calandar has a little sonic head in the corner on what date I think the issue will arrive based on a four week interval adding days for holidays and other such reasons. It's a little crazy...) Anyway, you're doing great.
AvianTalon
BumbleFan

Re: Ian Inquiries - Additional Extension!

Postby Kamal » Wed May 24, 2006 10:08 pm

IanPotto wrote:The firearms in...the Great War arc were flukes.

:shock:

I always considered it one of the most poignant stories this comic ever produced.
Kamal
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu May 25, 2006 6:39 am

Kamal wrote:

I always considered it one of the most poignant stories this comic ever produced.

You found the use of realistic firearms to be "poignant" :?:

Personally, I was most affected by the tragic loss in life.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Re: Ian Inquiries - Additional Extension!

Postby Kureejii Lea » Thu May 25, 2006 8:25 am

Kamal wrote:

I think the point was that the guns aren't supposed to be portrayed as realistic in design.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Kamal » Thu May 25, 2006 3:10 pm

IanPotto wrote:
Kamal wrote:

You found the use of realistic firearms to be "poignant" :?:

Personally, I was most affected by the tragic loss in life.

That's the part to which I was referring. Two people were playing around with firearms, and a tragedy resulted.

How can you get the same emotional impact with something like ray blasters?

Now before you get the wrong idea, I'm all for curbing gratuitous violence, my complaint was simply rooted in the fact that I thought the comic sent a very powerful message about a real-life concern. I don't want to think that it was just something that slipped through the editorial cracks.

Eh, whatever. I still think it was good story. "Hearts Held Hostage," on the other hand... :roll:
Kamal
BumbleFan

Postby sonicxfactor » Thu May 25, 2006 3:39 pm

I rather liked Heart Held Hostage.
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu May 25, 2006 7:59 pm

Kamal wrote:That's the part to which I was referring. Two people were playing around with firearms, and a tragedy resulted.

How can you get the same emotional impact with something like ray blasters?

See? This is what I get for being sarcastic. You put me in my place, sir, and good for you!

That is an aspect of the story I hadn't considered until you pointed it out, and you're absolutely right. The six-shooter put the oomph into the story that a blaster wouldn't. Well played, sir, well played!
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby AvianTalon » Thu May 25, 2006 9:27 pm

I agree with Sonicxfactor, Heart Held Hostage was my favorite story arc until Return to Angel Island.

Guns are not a huge deal to me in this comic. Personally, Nack seems to me to be the ONLY recurring villain who really should have a gun. It's his personality. The ones Nack and his posse had in that arc suited them. Someone else, like Seargent Simian or Monkey Khan, it would not fit them. As long as there isn't a sudden outburst of gun use...

(PAGE EIGHT: *Rob O' The Hedge pulls the pistol from his boot.* "I'll bet you didn't see that coming!" *Athair uses Chaos force to summon a twelve-gauge shotgun* "You cannot stop me! I'm one of the Modern Ancient Walkers!"

PAGE SEVENTEEN: *Knuckles transforms into Hyper Knuckles and sprouts cannons from his fists* "FEEL THE AVATAR'S FURY!" )

.......as I was saying, as long as there isn't a sudden outburst of gun use, and the guns are used by characters who WOULD use guns, the occasional use is fine by me.
AvianTalon
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu May 25, 2006 9:31 pm

AvianTalon wrote: GUNS!!!

Gee, thanks AvianTalon. Now I have to throw out the script for S#175.

;)

You're right on the money. Nack is the only one (outside maybe GUN soldiers and Shadow an a rare occasion) who'll be packing heat. But Nack also has the Marvelous Queen and his springy-tail, so I won't be having him only shooting.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby AvianTalon » Thu May 25, 2006 9:36 pm

Yeah, sorry about stealing those two pages from you. I was hoping no one would notice... you can have them back now, though! :P

...does this mean that Rob doesn't get to keep a pistol as a backup to his bow? Aw, man!

:D

Yeah, that's good. Ah, the Marvelous Queen... I always think of a penciled story that's in Dub's archives somewhere where Nack smashed himself with the Marvelous Queen. 'Twas quite good, but never published.
AvianTalon
BumbleFan

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius