Ask Ian Anything - Extended Addition

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby sonicxfactor » Wed May 03, 2006 4:03 pm

Hi Ian, I must say when I saw that you were doing the next M25YL I was surprised, so I have to ask these questions.

1: how did you manage to work on the next M25YL?

2: Ken said that he would be doing the next M25YL but now he’s not. How come?

A question not about M25YL.

3: what plans do you have for the Maria look-alike Hope?

And some totally random questions with nothing at all to do with Sonic.

4: just finished watching Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children on DVD, I haven’t play FF7 but I liked the film. Have you seen it yet?

5: in a magazine I read called Retro Gamer, they have a feature called Desert Island Disks, where they interview people from the games industry and then ask if they were stuck on a desert island what 8 video games would they take with them. If you were stuck on an island in the middle of nowhere what 8 games would you like to be stuck with?
User avatar
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:49 pm
Location: London England

Postby bw1979 » Wed May 03, 2006 6:31 pm

Do you think a Satam/Sonic X crossover is possibly for not only the comic books, but television?

Are you going to dive into how evil Antione aka Patch broke Bunnie's heart?

if you can compare the Sonic Characters from the comic book to the X-men characters of the '90's animated series and comic and current movies, who do you think is simliar to one another?

Do you think the Sonic Adventure Adapation was the biggest Archie had done for the comic.
User avatar
bw1979
KER-BANNED!
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:48 pm
Location: Lawrence, Kanas/City of The KU Jayhawks

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed May 03, 2006 7:38 pm

sonicxfactor wrote:1: how did you manage to work on the next M25YL?

2: Ken said that he would be doing the next M25YL but now he’s not. How come?


I was asked to do the M25YL finale, and so I did. Other than that, there's not much to tell.

sonicxfactor wrote:3: what plans do you have for the Maria look-alike Hope?


I'd like to play upon that some in the future - way down the line. Hope herself will appear in a back-up during TDS.

sonicxfactor wrote:4: just finished watching Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children on DVD, I haven’t play FF7 but I liked the film. Have you seen it yet?


Pre-ordered =D I'm a little disappointed that the story was another thin anime movie plot, but perhaps something was lost in translation. I stuck with the subtitles because you simply cannot top Vincent and Sephiroth's JP-VA's. Also, you have to watch it multiple time to keep up with the intense, gorgeous fight sequences - which is not a bad thing.

sonicxfactor wrote:5. If you were stuck on an island in the middle of nowhere what 8 games would you like to be stuck with?


We're assuming I had all the equipment needed to play said games and the proper provisions so I wouldn't have to worry about anything but top scores, right? The list, in no particular order...
    Sonic Mega Collection
    Sonic Gems Collection
    Sonic Adventure DX
    Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
    Skies of Arcadia Legends
    Sonic Rush
    Mario Kart DS
    StarFox 64

Those that barely missed the list were Princes of Persia: The Two Thrones, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Republic Commando.

bw1979 wrote:Do you think a Satam/Sonic X crossover is possibly for not only the comic books, but television?


The comic cross-over has been addressed already. A TV crossover will never happen - I say this with absolute certainty. SatAM was a great show, but it's dead. Beyond cold-in-the-ground dead. Sonic X (anime) - to my knowledge - didn't generate enough interest for a fourth season. I may be proven wrong on the latter, but there's no way the Sega-centric vision would be placed next to the (now) archaic spin-off DiC series.

bw1979 wrote:Are you going to dive into how evil Antione aka Patch broke Bunnie's heart?


I believe Bunnie's heart-break was apparent enough. We don't need to see the "how," we already saw the results.

bw1979 wrote:another Sonic/X-Men comparison question


This is something like the third time you've asked this. Stop it.

bw1979 wrote:Do you think the Sonic Adventure Adapation was the biggest Archie had done for the comic.


It went for something like six months. Yes, that's huge.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing
 
Posts: 5837
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:11 pm

Postby bw1979 » Wed May 03, 2006 8:23 pm

Sorry about that, asking the same question, my bad.

Anyway, did you ever watch the interwoven estra on the 2nd disc of Spider-man 2 and do you think one, make that book version could be done for Sonic.

What do you think is the best to watch with, Flat-screen TV, LCD or regular tv

Do you think 4kids needs to do better on the edits/cuts

Do you the Sonic X Cartoon would have done better in Sydcation, instead of netowrk television

Are you going to see Untied 93, or do you think it's too soon.

Will Fiona have major impact on the comic before '06 is out

Do you like Bunnie's new outfit
User avatar
bw1979
KER-BANNED!
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:48 pm
Location: Lawrence, Kanas/City of The KU Jayhawks

Postby Sonic922 » Wed May 03, 2006 9:21 pm

Would you like to see another season of Sonic X? I know there is no info but as seen last year TMS like to keep this stuff scretive, and I am optomistic :)
User avatar
Sonic922
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:52 am

Postby sonicforever » Wed May 03, 2006 11:51 pm

Ya know I think Sonic X just needs to go and die a peacefull death. Maybe I am jsut mad that the horrible VA's ont his show have replaced Ryan Drummond and all the older guys but seriously this past season was enough to make me bang my head off a wall till i had a concussion. I hate Chris and Cosmo and pray that neither of them ever make it into an actual Sonic game. Now if they went back to the game adaptation stuff like they did for SA and SA2 that is perfectly fine. Then I could maybe see Sonic actually have a major role in the stories instead of just fighting some bad guy at the end and not really talking at all the entire episode.


Ok now that I vented......So this is it for the M25YL story arc correct?
sonicforever
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:59 am

Postby Faded-Myth » Thu May 04, 2006 2:38 am

As far as I'm concerned, there's no need for a SatAM cross over... The main Archie Sonic series was born from that (wonderful) cartoon, and has enough of the characters, scenarios and elements in general from the series to make it, in many ways, a continuation of the old show, even if it has evolved a little along the way (and will most likely continue to do so). It's been that way since the beginning. Kind of makes the idea of a cross over redundant...
User avatar
Faded-Myth
Resident Faux-Woman
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:02 am
Location: Chopping down trees in Geen Hill zone

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu May 04, 2006 7:04 am

Man-o-man - we're fast approaching the 15-page cut-off. You guys are voracious!

I like that =D

Anyhoo...

bw1979 wrote:Anyway, did you ever watch the interwoven estra on the 2nd disc of Spider-man 2 and do you think one, make that book version could be done for Sonic.


You've already asked this as well.

bw1979 wrote:What do you think is the best to watch with, Flat-screen TV, LCD or regular tv


I've never seen that big of a difference between the images, so I have no real preference.

bw1979 wrote:Do you think 4kids needs to do better on the edits/cuts


I don't agree with alot of the cuts or voice direction.

bw1979 wrote:Do you the Sonic X Cartoon would have done better in Sydcation, instead of netowrk television


I may be mistaken, but I don't think you can be syndicated until you've done well on a network.

bw1979 wrote:Are you going to see Untied 93, or do you think it's too soon.


No plans to see it, no.

bw1979 wrote:Will Fiona have major impact on the comic before '06 is out


More like the beginning of '07 - if all goes as according to plan.

bw1979 wrote:Do you like Bunnie's new outfit


I like it fine, yes.

Sonic922 wrote:Would you like to see another season of Sonic X?


I'm not sure, honestly. When Sonic X (anime) got it right, boy-howdy did it get it right! The first three episodes really stand out as shining moments of Sonicness. But things started to drag in the second season, and the third seemed so . . . odd. Cosmo's story - which was a good one, really - could've been told with any band of space-faring beings. Sonic & Co. (and especially Chris) weren't really needed. That, and the strikingly darker tone didn't sit well with me.

I wouldn't oppose a fourth season, but I'd be wary of it.

sonicforever wrote:So this is it for the M25YL story arc correct?


Correct. Now - if there's enough fan response, I guess we would find a way to continue it.

Faded-Myth wrote:As far as I'm concerned, there's no need for a SatAM cross over... The main Archie Sonic series was born from that (wonderful) cartoon, and has enough of the characters, scenarios and elements in general from the series to make it, in many ways, a continuation of the old show, even if it has evolved a little along the way (and will most likely continue to do so). It's been that way since the beginning. Kind of makes the idea of a cross over redundant...


Nail on the head FTW. I couldn't have said it better myself. +1 hundred brownie points.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing
 
Posts: 5837
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:11 pm

Postby sonicforever » Thu May 04, 2006 3:06 pm

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager ... Id=3150299

ANy thought on why they couldn't have just used the Archie cast for the new Sonic game as opposed to creating new characters yet again? And oh yeah I cna't wait for this game :D .
sonicforever
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:59 am

Postby sonicxfactor » Thu May 04, 2006 5:33 pm

Hi Ian more questions.

1: will issues 166 and 167 both take a break from the comic’s current continuity focusing only on the future and nothing more (the previews don’t say if they have back ups), and the current continuity restarting in issue 168?

2: When’s Scourge coming back and what plans do you have for him?

3: Does this “Anonymous” have a real name and will we know what it is in TDS or will he/she/it still be known as “Anonymous” even after TDS has ended, until further notice?

4: I have a gut feeling that TDS will somehow have something to do with Tails, since he’s the “chosen one” and Tails did trap Mogol in that emerald so I’m guessing he has a vendetta against him. What I’m trying to say is will Tails have the biggest part in TDS?

5: Will Scourge be in TDS or are you saving him for later?

6: Issue 152, when I first read the preview for this and seeing the original cover (Sonic surrounded by angry looking girls and looking confused) back in the summer of 2005, I thought that all the Sonic girls having a go at Sonic sounded like fun. But in the end all we got was a cover with Sonic looking like a pimp and a story about nanities. Just wanted to know if you know why the original story was pulled and replaced with the nanitie story?

7: If you plan to do more looks into the future may I suggest instead of going 25 years into the future why not say 10 years or so into the future?

8: I know that Julayla is dead and gone but will she be mentioned in any stories in the future? I really like the back up “The Royal Signet” and wondered if there will be more stuff like that in the future?

9: Is Ash still in hospital or has he fully recovered?

Oh and Ian you cheated on the desert island question, your basically taking more then 8 games if you include SMC and SGC in your list. But I’ll let you have that one, as that’s what I’ll be taking if I was stuck on an island. Along with Taito Legends 1&2 and Midway Arcade Treasures 1&2.
User avatar
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:49 pm
Location: London England

Postby bw1979 » Thu May 04, 2006 8:18 pm

Ian what did you think of Stuck in Traffic
User avatar
bw1979
KER-BANNED!
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:48 pm
Location: Lawrence, Kanas/City of The KU Jayhawks

Postby jgoreham » Fri May 05, 2006 7:39 am

I personally really appreciate that you're very approachable and so easy to communicate with, Ian (via this forum). This is something that seems pretty unique to the Archie Sonic fandom and it generally seems to be a very rewarding experience for all parties involved. Given this, I was wondering what kind of feedback you feel is most useful to you and your work on the book from us- what do you want us to tell you every month after we've all rushed out and picked up the book? Sometimes, I think the way things go around here seems a little one-sided, we pick your brain clean and sometimes we're too busy geeking it up to give you anything back! ;)
User avatar
jgoreham
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:45 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri May 05, 2006 8:08 am

sonicforever wrote:Any thought on why they couldn't have just used the Archie cast for the new Sonic game as opposed to creating new characters yet again?


Actually, I'm in no rush to see any of the Archieverse characters made SegaSonic - regardless how cool it would be to play as Sally, Bunnie or Julie-Su. Unless there was complete cooperation between us at Archie and everyone involved in Sonic Team. The language and cultural barriers alone would make that one crazy day at the office.

I'm a new character addict, so I say bring on "Rival," "Blanco the Hedgehog," and Princess Elise. I'll be ready to devour the new character lore!

sonicxfactor wrote:1: will issues 166 and 167 both take a break from the comic’s current continuity focusing only on the future and nothing more (the previews don’t say if they have back ups), and the current continuity restarting in issue 168?


Yes, S#166-167 will lead with M25YL to wrap up the saga. There will be two back-ups in present-day continuity that I had a small hand in. One of them will feature the Chaotix.

This is - of course - presuming everything goes hunky-dory in the many months ahead.

sonicxfactor wrote: 2: When’s Scourge coming back and what plans do you have for him?


Scourge is due back in S#165. I can't hint at any plans right now simply because I can't avoid giving something away.

sonicxfactor wrote:3: Does this “Anonymous” have a real name and will we know what it is in TDS or will he/she/it still be known as “Anonymous” even after TDS has ended, until further notice?


We'll find out who Annonymous is by the end of TDS. Then you can refer to the character by their name or as Anonymous, whichever you prefer.

sonicxfactor wrote:4: What I’m trying to say is will Tails have the biggest part in TDS?


Tails gets more screen-time next month, but he's not the central figure to TDS.

sonicxfactor wrote:5: Will Scourge be in TDS or are you saving him for later?


He'll be following Dr. Finitevus' direction and lying low during TDS.

sonicxfactor wrote:6: Just wanted to know if you know why the original story was pulled and replaced with the nanitie story?


There was no story replacement - that was it. The cover art was tweaked to be a parody of something else - but I can't recall what.

sonicxfactor wrote:7: If you plan to do more looks into the future may I suggest instead of going 25 years into the future why not say 10 years or so into the future?


No plans for any future stories after M25YL concludes.

sonicxfactor wrote:8: I know that Julayla is dead and gone but will she be mentioned in any stories in the future? I really like the back up “The Royal Signet” and wondered if there will be more stuff like that in the future?


We may see name-drops and flashbacks of her in the future, but no big plans for her.

sonicxfactor wrote:9: Is Ash still in hospital or has he fully recovered?


He's up and about once more, but still on the mend. He nearly got blown up, after all.

sonicxfactor wrote:Oh and Ian you cheated on the desert island question, your basically taking more then 8 games if you include SMC and SGC in your list.


That's not cheating! That's thinking outside the box ;)

bw1979 wrote:Ian what did you think of Stuck in Traffic


I don't know what you're talking about. Let's try to keep things Sonic-related in the Sonic forum.

jgoreham wrote:Given this, I was wondering what kind of feedback you feel is most useful to you and your work on the book from us- what do you want us to tell you every month after we've all rushed out and picked up the book?


Ask not what your Potto can do for you, but ask what you can do for your Potto, eh? (HAHA - I crack myself up)

Seriously, that's an excellent question and I'm glad you put it out there. There's two things I'd really like to get when people review/give any feedback for the book:

1) What you like and why you liked it. For example, alot of people first reacted to Croctobot negatively and said it was because he looked so ridiculous. Then they said they really enjoy the joke that he was because of Sonic's reaction and the tongue-in-cheek acknowledgment of how lame Crocotobot really was. This tells me that folks really got the joke - which means I got it right.

Saying something was cool, or fun, or awesome is all well and good. The positive feedback makes-a me happy. But I want to know why it's good so I know what elements to focus on to improve or to delight with. So far it looks like the formula of witty dialogue + action = very yes.

2) What you didn't like and (most importantly) why you didn't like it. (The "you" of course being more of a "y'all") Alot of Sally fans are disappointed she's been side-lined the first two issues of my run. Again - some folks didn't like Croctobot initially because he was lame. It's hard for me to give examples here because - thankfully - the response to "Birthday Bash" has been overwhelmingly positive. (And for the Sally fans - there will be more of her in the future, I promise).

So that's what I really need - detailed feedback. Long flames over how I've done something "wrong" doesn't help, nor does paragraphs of gushing praise. Why did you react the way you did? That's what I want to know.

Two weeks until we can put that into practice ;)
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing
 
Posts: 5837
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:11 pm

Postby Adamis » Fri May 05, 2006 2:52 pm

Scourge is due back in S#165. I can't hint at any plans right now simply because I can't avoid giving something away.


Super Sonic VS Super Scourge, anyone? :)
User avatar
Adamis
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:11 pm
Location: Belgium

Postby Sonic922 » Fri May 05, 2006 5:17 pm

I am prett sure anyone else(or myself didn't post this:

In issue 134 Bunnie ssays that only Dr. QUACK knows how he got the scar. Does that mean that Dr. QUACK KNEW THAT WAS EVIL ANTOINE?
User avatar
Sonic922
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:52 am

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests