StH#210: Preview/Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby shinginta » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:50 am

Penguin God wrote:Well, however awkward it is said out loud and whatever it means for Geoffrey's character, I doubt it was just there for nothing. I fully expect the two Robotniks tidbit to be somewhat relevant in the issue later.
I doubt it. I'd agree with Radz and just say that it's Geoffrey's opinion that the occupation by the first Robotnik was much worse than pretty much anything Eggman's done. Again, I'd have to agree. Julian Kintobor betrayed the grand kingdom of Acorn and turned nearly its entire population into mindless slaves. He then took over the city of Mobotropolis and made it into his own personal wasteland. If not for the efforts of a small and very suppressed force of very lucky kids, Robotnik probably would've controlled all the world until his own demise.

By contrast, Eggman simply returned to take back the city that was originally his. Then it got nuked, so he took a second city, one that was abandoned. He failed repeatedly to squash the overpopulated city of Knothole and/or do any real damage to the newly re-established Kingdom of Acorn. To this day, he's never really been as much of a threat as the original Eggman was, and his biggest achievement was small-scale genocide with the Egg-grapes.

Not to say that I'm a proponent of "The original Robotnik was awesome and Eggman sucks, give us back the original" or any such garbage. Comic canon had the original being a complete doofus. But canonically, via SatAM and such, they had it a lot harder under the original Robotnik than they really have under Eggman. The terms of the game have really just changed, it's much more of a stalemate these days.
shinginta
BumbleNoble

Location: Aperture Science Enrichment Center Non-Discriminatory AI Disposal Ditch

Postby Penguin God » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:56 am

I'm not saying that any of that is untrue OR that it's out of character for Geoffrey. But the line still sounds unnecessary, unless it's to remind readers that there have been, indeed, two Robotniks. With Eggman becoming dangerous again, it's likely this info is something that's important to remember later in the issue. That's all I'm saying.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby KChan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:10 am

Not sure if I've said this but she kinda looked like Rosy on the cover.

And yeah I know they are the same person in a sense.

And whoo St. John is there...let's party...
KChan
BumbleKnight

Location: Somewhere in New Mobotropolis, but I'm not telling where, it's secret!

Postby Astrobot7000 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:42 am

I love the classic Robotnik refrence!
It gives us odler fans more to appreciate.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby kryptyk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:49 am

I think you're misreading Geoffrey's line. He said "Things WEREN'T this bad under the first Robotnik," meaning that the situation's become worse than ever before once Dr. Eggman arrived on the scene followed by the Iron Queen.

Robotnik Prime may have had spies amongst their ranks, found Knothole, and attempted to erase everyone there from existence, but he never succeeded, whereas Dr. Eggman killed untold numbers in his Egg Grapes, burned Knothole to the ground and almost Egg Graped all its citizens, and now that the Iron Dominion's here, their last free city has literally been turned against them along with occupying forces rounding up people to be "legionized"...... whatever that really entails.
kryptyk
BumbleNoble

Postby theJcfreak » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:51 am

2tailed wrote:I know it's kind of a nod to all the continuity freaks, but I don't get why St. John says "the first Robotnik." They're not dealing with any Robotnik taking over the city [as far as we know...hmm], so why bring up the first one? Why not just say "Robotnik", period?
Unless Eggman IS back in charge now...

He's probably meant to represent all the fans that think ol' Robotnik the Fat rocks and Eggman sucks because he's too goofy and not evil enough. So he'll just throw references out to Robotnik at the strangest of times.
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby Astrobot7000 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:21 am

kryptyk wrote:I think you're misreading Geoffrey's line. He said "Things WEREN'T this bad under the first Robotnik," meaning that the situation's become worse than ever before once Dr. Eggman arrived on the scene followed by the Iron Queen.

Robotnik Prime may have had spies amongst their ranks, found Knothole, and attempted to erase everyone there from existence, but he never succeeded, whereas Dr. Eggman killed untold numbers in his Egg Grapes, burned Knothole to the ground and almost Egg Graped all its citizens, and now that the Iron Dominion's here, their last free city has literally been turned against them along with occupying forces rounding up people to be "legionized"...... whatever that really entails.

Yeah but notice how Amy quickly corrects him. Therefore, Amy disagrees with his opinion. Knowing Geoffrey, he is just exagerating or feeling the rush of the moment.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby kryptyk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:53 am

Astrobot7000 wrote:
kryptyk wrote:I think you're misreading Geoffrey's line. He said "Things WEREN'T this bad under the first Robotnik," meaning that the situation's become worse than ever before once Dr. Eggman arrived on the scene followed by the Iron Queen.

Yeah but notice how Amy quickly corrects him. Therefore, Amy disagrees with his opinion. Knowing Geoffrey, he is just exagerating or feeling the rush of the moment.

Look closer at Amy's expression and the stutter at the start of her response. You can see she's clearly flustered at how right Geoffrey is about the situation and is trying to put on a brave front in an attempt to downplay their predicament and show they can handle themselves while secretly realizing he hit the nail right on the head and desperately wishing some miracle would happen to turn things in their favor.
kryptyk
BumbleNoble

Postby shinginta » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:20 pm

No, I think he's using old Robotnik as his frame of reference there because it's the toughest they'd endured up until the Iron Dominion.

Robotnik Prime may have had spies amongst their ranks, found Knothole, and attempted to erase everyone there from existence, but he never succeeded,
But that's where it concerns the Freedom Fighters. You still have to recall what Robotnik did in canon prior to the comic's run. Y'know, taking Mobotropolis, sending the king into the Zone of Silence, roboticizing its entire population, etc.

whereas Dr. Eggman killed untold numbers in his Egg Grapes, burned Knothole to the ground and almost Egg Graped all its citizens, and now that the Iron Dominion's here, their last free city has literally been turned against them along with occupying forces rounding up people to be "legionized"...... whatever that really entails.
Honestly, I see what the old Robotnik did as far worse than the Egg Grapes. I'd say enslaving citizens as robots and using them as emotional black-mail is pretty ballsy.

It could really go both ways.
shinginta
BumbleNoble

Location: Aperture Science Enrichment Center Non-Discriminatory AI Disposal Ditch

Postby FairFieldFinder » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:21 pm

I'll agree with this. I'd say that the ID are in-between Robotnik and Eggman on the evil metre at the moment.
FairFieldFinder
BumbleClan

Postby kryptyk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:29 pm

Fairfieldfinder wrote:

I'll agree with this. I'd say that the ID are in-between Robotnik and Eggman on the evil metre at the moment.

Exactly. What rationale can there realistically be to Geoffrey's line otherwise? I know some have mentioned confusing writing before, but I really don't think Ian would let this go and allow the exact opposite meaning to be inferred here.
kryptyk
BumbleNoble

Postby Astrobot7000 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:34 pm

Come on guys, things are nowhere near as bad.

Okay so IQ had control of the city, but all the civilians are safe on Angel Island. There hasn't been any casualties, or at least none reported. Everyone is safe except the ruling members and the Freedom Fighters.

No one is being enslaved against their will.
No one is being used as a living battery.

I cant take good ol' Geof's statement as anything other than exaggeration.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby kryptyk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:08 pm

Astrobot7000 wrote:Come on guys, things are nowhere near as bad.

Okay so IQ had control of the city, but all the civilians are safe on Angel Island. There hasn't been any casualties, or at least none reported. Everyone is safe except the ruling members and the Freedom Fighters.

No one is being enslaved against their will.
No one is being used as a living battery.

I cant take good ol' Geof's statement as anything other than exaggeration.

When NICOLE was still under the IQ's full control she started apprehending citizens from right underneath their feet. The Chaotix only got out as many people as they could get to first so there are likely many more getting "legionized" as the solicit said so months ago.

As opposed to Knothole village, most of the populace here are the ordinary Joe's who have no combat experience or have been out of practice for a while and wouldn't know squat about defending themselves when they are going up against a hostile force that has literally turned the environment against them. Now their only refuge is a barren island that was decided as an evac point on the fly and offers few resources to establish an effective counter-offensive or support a significantly sized population used to city life for a prolonged period now that Echidnaopolis is gone.

Unless the few who can still fight get the city back under their control entirely, they have nowhere else to turn to- assuming that Monkey's Khan's statement about them being "the beacon of hope and freedom" was true. No I'd say things are as real a mess as Geoffrey put it.
kryptyk
BumbleNoble

Postby StefCEO » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:24 pm

I'd never think this could happen, but for the first time I'm bored of the main comic. Because right now Sonic is not in Sonic The Hedgehog, but he's in Sonic Universe. It'a cool crazy twist Ian put in there.

Also, I think in 211 someone is gonna get captured, preferably stinky skunk. Who am I kidding, Ian is going to keep them all together...
StefCEO
BumbleFan

Postby The KKM » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:35 pm

I think it's a combination of factors. Geoffrey is probably exaggerating, but fact is, during neither Robotnik nor Eggman did their city itself get under siege, slaved, trapped, captured, turned into a jail, enemies on every turn, and in other words a repressive dictatorship. (yes I know Eggman destroyed it, but they had a new city pronto).
The KKM
BumbleClan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius