StH#210: Preview/Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Super Rayzor » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:53 pm

cdbrereton wrote:
Blkpikason wrote:
TheRock1525 wrote:Is "crikey" British? I'm kind of confused here.

Good to see St. John again. Missed that skunk, and he looks BA in the commando outfit.

I thought he was British or something... :? Or I may be wrong.

He is supposed to speak in a cockney accent.

And in terms of 'crikey' i guess you could call it british, cos most present day aussies decend from us brits, and they seem to use it all the time.

Really? I've always thought Geoff was an Mussie (Mobian Aussie).
Super Rayzor
BumbleNoble

Postby cdbrereton » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:59 pm

Super Rayzor wrote:
cdbrereton wrote:
Blkpikason wrote:

Good to see St. John again. Missed that skunk, and he looks BA in the commando outfit.

I thought he was British or something... :? Or I may be wrong.

He is supposed to speak in a cockney accent.

And in terms of 'crikey' i guess you could call it british, cos most present day aussies decend from us brits, and they seem to use it all the time.

Really? I've always thought Geoff was an Mussie (Mobian Aussie).

It is a bit confusing for me too, but to my knowledge, in the older comics, his cockney was alot broader and definded. Now it seems to be a bit of Oz in there. Personally, i'm sticking by my guns that he's a cockney, but i can see why people are getting muddled.
cdbrereton
BumbleKnight

Postby xX Celeste Foxx Xx » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:07 pm

St. John definitely had a bad-butt entry here... still can't erase his *****-bag reputation from earlier in the series, though. Pity.
xX Celeste Foxx Xx
BumbleFan

Postby Meliden » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:35 am

Cockney may have actually been the inspiration for the entire Aussie accent in real life, but that amount of stereotypyical phrases does NOT belong to a stereotyped Londoner.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby shinginta » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:11 am

1: I think Geoffrey's initial line is probably a joke. More of an attempt at egging on Amy than an actual point he's trying to get across.
2: Ian seems to have a grasp on some of the subtler differences between American English and British/Australian English. Maybe I'm just reading into it, but Geoffrey's phrasing just seems different. It reads more natural for a Brit than for an American. "Right behind you, smile for the birdie," "Through a tree stump no less, very nice. Very nostalgic." Stuff like that just seems to speak better through a Brit or Aussie than through an American.
3: Butler's art has improved, but I still agree with PG on this one. Stiff and somewhat oddly proportioned. I'll be glad to see Peppers, DeLiz, or Yardley take the book.
shinginta
BumbleNoble

Location: Aperture Science Enrichment Center Non-Discriminatory AI Disposal Ditch

Postby FairFieldFinder » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:20 am

That's Australian. We say "Gracious! Blimey! Would you Adam and Eve it!" Watch a bit of Only Fools and Horses and pay close attention to Nicholas Lyndhurst. Or perhaps Lie to me with Tim Roth or Open All Hours.
FairFieldFinder
BumbleClan

Postby Omatic » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:43 am

Cor blimey n' strewth, gub'nah! The jillaroo hedgehog be gettin' a yabber, fair dinkum!

All the Austrailian I ever needed, I learned from Marine the Racoon.

Anyway, this issue is looking great. I'm glad to see some more St. Jon.
Omatic
BumbleNewbie

Postby theJcfreak » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:22 am

Fairfieldfinder wrote:

That's Australian. We say "Gracious! Blimey! Would you Adam and Eve it!"

I thought "Crikey" was only Australian. But now I have an official Brit to back me up! So good on ya mate!

And I know all my Aussie slang from the Crocodile Hunter. Whose voice I imagine for Geoffrey St. John even if he isn't supposed to be Australian. I'm beginning to think Geoffrey's Braustrianish.
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby The KKM » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:26 am

I imagine Geoffrey being a British who happened to pick some Australian slang.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Illustrious Q » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:30 am

He probably picked up some of it from when Wombat Stu was on his team. That kind of thing usually rubs off after spending a bit of time with someone.
Illustrious Q
BumbleCult

Postby Astrobot7000 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:38 am

You guys are insane. Not a little wacky, or even slightly disturbed. No, you are fully and truly insane (joke obviously). Butler’s art is fantastic. I honestly don’t see any stiffness. I will agree though, in some of his more recent work the proportions were off a bit. But I loved Butler’s work back in the early to mid years of the book. I attribute the proportions from his last book to not drawing Sonic for some time. I think he’s in top form here.

Did anyone notice the subtle things here? St. John is checking himself out in the mirror, Antoine’s brave cowardice, etc. Good stuff right there. Good stuff indeed. Amy’s character is really starting to be more defined under Ian’s writing, which is okay by me. I never liked her, but Ian seems to be doing a good job defining her more than simply being an annoying chick obsessed with Sonic. She is actually pretty take-charge here.
Although, if St. John isn’t kidding about coming back from a mission, I have to wonder how he even got inside the city.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:23 am

jcfreak16 wrote:I'm beginning to think Geoffrey's Braustrianish.

Don't remember Geoffery having the same accent as Arnold Schwarzenegger. :D
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:28 am

Geoffrey started off with an Australian accent, which hovered around British, then disappeared altogether.

We're going back to the roots this time.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby The KKM » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:14 pm

Meliden wrote:
jcfreak16 wrote:I'm beginning to think Geoffrey's Braustrianish.

Don't remember Geoffery having the same accent as Arnold Schwarzenegger. :D

I.. wow. I was going to alter a Schwarzenegger line to fit Geoffrey, but it's so idiotic I just want to laugh.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby shinginta » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:46 pm

The Illustrious Q wrote:He probably picked up some of it from when Wombat Stu was on his team. That kind of thing usually rubs off after spending a bit of time with someone.
This makes the most sense of all. 'Cept that Ian's officially overruled it. Well, it's still personal canon to me.
shinginta
BumbleNoble

Location: Aperture Science Enrichment Center Non-Discriminatory AI Disposal Ditch

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius