Sonic the Hedgehog #205 Preview/Discussion/Spoilers/Cookies

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Luger » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:41 pm

IanPotto wrote:I'll explain "PINGAS" again since I want to be 100% clear on this.

There's an episode in AoStH where Robotnik is berating Scratch and Grounder, accusing them of "snooping as usual." The inflection is really odd though - almost deliberate - where is sounds like "snoo-pingas usual." Somebody did a YouTube video that focused on this, and "Pingas" became a brief internet fad to giggle over.

Now, whether it's because "pingas" sound something like male anatomy, or if it's in fact an obscure euphemism is unclear (at least to me). All I know is that it potentially dances on the "naughty" line. So I purposefully worded it so that - technically - "pingas" is never out-right said.

But I knew the Sonic fans would pick up on it. I'm counting on y'all to get the other that's in the issue too.

You, sir, are amazing! :(hearty laughter):

I think this method of previewing the issue is much better. Less is spoiled from the main story early on, and we get a nice glimpse of the backstory as well. Hopefully they keep doing it this way in the future. Also, the cover of this issue looks a lot better now for some reason, it's spectacular! Only qualm is that Dr. Eggman's mustache is intact.

Seriously, the backstory looks so incredibly amazing. This will probably be immidiatly one of my favourite issues, since it brings about the return appearances of Luger and Kragok (albeit in flashbacks). Jamal Peppers is such a brilliant artist, I'm glad he's doing the backstories. He'll do Luger's character design justice if the preview pages are any indication of his adherance to character designs such as Kragok's. I wish though that in the first panel of the backstory's second page they included the "Sega Saturn recolour" Dark Legion banner on the wall scroll in the background, it would've been an awesome nod to the diehard fans who would pick up on it.

Fan Ideas wrote:It seems like the Dark Legion established a large base or facility to thrive within the Twilight Zone. Makes you wonder if it's still there (probably a bit run down by now) and can be used by the Brotherhood now (oh, the irony! First Moritori Rex infiltrates Haven, now the Brotherhood has to use the Dark Legion's old base to survive the barren void!!)
Luger
BumbleNoble

Postby Illustrious Q » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:04 pm

IanPotto wrote:Also - while it definitely serves a story purpose, the flashback was in part my way of finally getting to write Kragok, if only for a few pages!

Now if only you could figure out some way of writing Robotnik Prime. :wink:
Illustrious Q
BumbleCult

Postby Big Al Son » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:08 pm

Very pleased with the previews pages, showing both the lead story and the BACK-UP STORY, without giving to much spoilers, a way-past-cool approach and change. They should do this with future issues, but when it's a single story in an issue, keep the first five-pages preview formula just for them, like SU.

JAMEL PEPPERS is top artist! Deserve to do the lead stories as well. Hope he does in the future.

I'm hoping to becoming a comic book writer and artist, myself, in the future. Love to get involved with both Sonic Comic titles.
Big Al Son
BumbleKnight

Postby Captain Yoyo » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:35 pm

SNOO-PING AS USUAL

That made my day, right there. I love Lien-da's new... er-old outfit!
Captain Yoyo
BumbleKnight

Postby Vampfox » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:47 pm

Delete
Last edited by Vampfox on Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:48 pm

Robotnik Prime made terrible puns, and drank motor oil. That's why he died a young age.

Postby Tonberry2k » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:52 pm

Toby Barrett wrote:Robotnik Prime made terrible puns, and drank motor oil. That's why he died a young age.

Tonberry2k
BumbleNoble

Postby Vampfox » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:52 pm

Delete
Last edited by Vampfox on Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby dragoonanime » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:25 pm

I think that I read somewhere that some people thought that robotnik was more machine than human and that is why drank motor oil.
dragoonanime
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mister Sir » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:47 pm

Maybe he drank motor oil to help with digestion? A guy that big had to have some intestinal distress.
Mister Sir
BumbleNewbie

Postby Kintobor » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:24 pm

IanPotto wrote:I'll explain "PINGAS" again since I want to be 100% clear on this.

There's an episode in AoStH where Robotnik is berating Scratch and Grounder, accusing them of "snooping as usual." The inflection is really odd though - almost deliberate - where is sounds like "snoo-pingas usual." Somebody did a YouTube video that focused on this, and "Pingas" became a brief internet fad to giggle over.

Now, whether it's because "pingas" sound something like male anatomy, or if it's in fact an obscure euphemism is unclear (at least to me). All I know is that it potentially dances on the "naughty" line. So I purposefully worded it so that - technically - "pingas" is never out-right said.

But I knew the Sonic fans would pick up on it. I'm counting on y'all to get the other that's in the issue too.

I officially love you for this. :(hearty laughter):

But another madcap Robotnik meme reference in the pages, eh? Hmmm, right now I'm not exactly sure what it could be, but I am absolutely sure that I will love it, and any other verbal riffs that spouts out of that colorful, inane mouth.

It's a kaleidoscope of lunacy!

Errr, I just thought of it. But if the phrase is indeed what I think it is Ian, then I will give you a P-P-PROMOTION!
Last edited by Kintobor on Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kintobor
BumbleFan

Postby phoenixdaughterAM » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:46 pm

If we get stuff like this, then mad eggie is the BEST IDEA EVER!!
phoenixdaughterAM
BumbleNoble

Postby bsonic10 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:09 pm

(hearty laughter)! :(hearty laughter): Loved the "SNOO-PING AS USUAL I SEE" line! I'm loving the insane Eggy, he's just hilarious. I look forward to seeing what his other sneak line is... I wasn't expecting Storm to have a big role in this issue, I'm curious what she'll do here. And kudos to Butler, I love how he drew Snively panicking, especially when Jun Kun was holding and threatening him. He helped make the scene a bit funnier there.

I'm not surprised at all that Kragok betrayed Lien-Da. Sounds just like something he'd do. Lien-Da should have been more careful in who she placed her trust in, especially since he was willing to betray their father in the first place. And nice making re-emphasizing the Twilight Zone the Twilight cage (like in the FCBD issue), I think that actually helps make the DL's situation in that zone make a little more sense and gives us a little more of an idea of their surroundings. Peppers' did a good job here so far, but I'm not fond of how he drew young Lien-Da. She looks a little awkward to me on that second page.

As for the change in preview, I like it. This way we didn't get too much about the first story given away, and we even got a sneak at the second one. I'm hoping they stick with this format from now on for previews when the issue has a back-up story.

EDIT:

Also, since I haven't seen this posted already, the Sega Sonic blog made a comment about the issue:

ArchangelUK wrote:Ian Flynn Is Full Of Win

Oh Archie, sometimes you astound me. Give the man a medal.

bsonic10
BumbleClan

Postby AltheaTheEchidna » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:57 pm

I like the way Lien-da holds Kragok's hand. :D
AltheaTheEchidna
BumbleCitizen

Postby Count Koopula » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:26 pm

I don't care what some Sonic fans say about Ian's writing, the "snooping as usual" internet meme reference made me laugh my butt off. I can't beileve Ian did that. It goes to show he can still catch us off guard.

I can't wait to see what this other "in-joke" is he snuck in. :wink:
Count Koopula
BumbleClan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius