Ask Ian vol. X: "In Soviet Mobius, Ian Asks YOU!"

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Ask Ian vol. X: "In Soviet Mobius, Ian Asks YOU!"

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu May 17, 2007 7:19 am

Credit to LBD_Nytetrayn for this edition's title. I'll be pulling from vol. IX for future updates as well, so don't feel over-looked.

And now, my comrades, the questions that spilled over from the last thread:

2tailed wrote:Giga Big! Ha!
Since the rings have come up...say, how about them power rings, eh? We really, really haven't seen them for a while. It's always fun to see Sonic whip one of those out for a speed boost...any power rings in the future, Ian? Pretty please?

We really haven't had occasion to use them. When the story needs them, we'll use them.

Tonberry2k wrote:1) Has the explanation of Sonic being able to vibrate atoms so he can squeeze through solid objects (like the train a while back) been retconned? That was a terrible idea, I think.

It's been used a few times, so it's canon. Doesn't mean I have to bring it up again, though.

Tonberry2k wrote:2) Will the Sea Fox ever be rebuilt?

Like with the power rings - if we need it, we'll bring it back.

Tonberry2k wrote:3) A fun one. If YOU were at the helm of SatAm season 3, what would happen?

Oh geez . . . I'd been so long since I've seen the show, I don't think I can really say. I liked most of Ben Hurst's plans and I doubt I'd want something much different. The red eyes at the end would be Metal Sonic, though. No two ways about it.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby nuckles87 » Thu May 17, 2007 1:03 pm

Boo! Naugus!

What would Ian ask us in Soviet Mobius?
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby The Loose Cannon » Thu May 17, 2007 2:05 pm

1. Which super form is your favorite? (from any continuity)

2. Is Art Mawhinney still working for the comic?

3. When will we see the Special Zone again?

4. Which robot from the Archieverse would be cool to see as a boss in a Sonic game?
The Loose Cannon
BumbleFan

Postby dashfox1 » Thu May 17, 2007 2:38 pm

Ok stupid question but i have the urge to ask it.

What is the main food source on mobius i mean it whould be hard to have beef and eggs with mobian cows and chickens running round whod'nt that be considered cannibalism?
dashfox1
BumbleFan

Postby Tonberry2k » Thu May 17, 2007 2:39 pm

Any plans for Archimedes?
Tonberry2k
BumbleNoble

Postby nma1985 » Thu May 17, 2007 3:15 pm

dashfox1 wrote:it whould be hard to have beef and eggs with mobian cows and chickens running round whod'nt that be considered cannibalism?

I think they are around but they´re just not shown. I mean, there is a Sonic´s dog which behaves like any normal dog, but there are intelligent dogs as well, so I think that would be the case with other animals.

...And nice title for the thread, I hadn´t noticed it in the past thread :wink:

__N.M.Á.
nma1985
BumbleFan

Postby sonicxfactor » Thu May 17, 2007 5:25 pm

Do you know if Steven Butler will be doing anything for the comic soon?

Also forget Giga Big I want to see Super Bean. Now that would be a sight to see.:D
sonicxfactor
BumbleCitizen

Postby Para » Thu May 17, 2007 6:56 pm

I have a power/magic ring question. Sonic's "magical aura", attained via the billion + rings he's collected thus far has always made me think of the way that for every 100 rings you collect in the games, you get an extra life. The spontaneous resurrection that he pulled off at the end of 50 after being blown up along with Eggman made this seem more likely in my mind. So, am I totally off-base with this notion? Or as long as his ring count remains high enough- I'd assume it to be higher than 100 for an 'extra life' in the comic-verse- can he basically resurrect himself if killed?

(Futurama moment: "Fry is DEAD!" "It's okay, I had another guy!" :D )
Para
BumbleNoble

Postby Kureejii Lea » Thu May 17, 2007 8:53 pm

Para wrote:The spontaneous resurrection that he pulled off at the end of 50 after being blown up along with Eggman made this seem more likely in my mind. So, am I totally off-base with this notion? Or as long as his ring count remains high enough- I'd assume it to be higher than 100 for an 'extra life' in the comic-verse- can he basically resurrect himself if killed?

Wasn't it that the Ultimate Anihilator could only recognise/affect Robotnik (after Snively messed with it)? So Sonic wasn't killed/resurrected, just... kinda briefly blipped out, along with everyone else the UA wasn't targetting. Kinda like everyone was sent to the Recycle Bin, and Robotnik was the only "file" deleted. So... I don't think Sonic was "killed" at all there.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Para » Thu May 17, 2007 9:14 pm

Kureejii Lea wrote:
Para wrote:The spontaneous resurrection that he pulled off at the end of 50 after being blown up along with Eggman made this seem more likely in my mind. So, am I totally off-base with this notion? Or as long as his ring count remains high enough- I'd assume it to be higher than 100 for an 'extra life' in the comic-verse- can he basically resurrect himself if killed?

Wasn't it that the Ultimate Anihilator could only recognise/affect Robotnik (after Snively messed with it)? So Sonic wasn't killed/resurrected, just... kinda briefly blipped out, along with everyone else the UA wasn't targetting. Kinda like everyone was sent to the Recycle Bin, and Robotnik was the only "file" deleted. So... I don't think Sonic was "killed" at all there.

Well, I'm going off the fact that he was gone, and then pulled himself back out of a power ring. *shrug* The force of the explosion could have "killed" him, imo.
Para
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu May 17, 2007 9:58 pm

sonicxfactor wrote:Do you know if Steven Butler will be doing anything for the comic soon?

Also forget Giga Big I want to see Super Bean. Now that would be a sight to see.:D

Pfft, no way.

JELLY Bean, man. It fits him so much more.

(My initial thought was Chili Bean)

dashfox1 wrote:Ok stupid question but i have the urge to ask it.

What is the main food source on mobius i mean it whould be hard to have beef and eggs with mobian cows and chickens running round whod'nt that be considered cannibalism?

Veggie dogs?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Orion101 » Thu May 17, 2007 10:32 pm

This was actually a topic on Ken's board a while back, I remember asking him personally about this and pointed out that when animals like horses and cats evolved, new non sentient species like Pasha's and Bush Femurs, evolved to take their place or niche in nature. I then asked Ken if new non sentient species evolved to take the place of cows pigs and other food animals. Ken said that this almost certainly happened and that it just wasn't an issue that was ever needed to be brought up in the comics. So their's your answer Mobians eat meat just meat from new non sentient species. Unless of course Ian has something else in mind.
Orion101
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri May 18, 2007 7:23 am

nuckles87 wrote:What would Ian ask us in Soviet Mobius?

...I'm so very torn. I've got silly, serious, and snarky replies all vying to be said. I'm just going to have to pass on that one for my own good.

The Loose Cannon wrote:1. Which super form is your favorite? (from any continuity)

I don't think I can choose, honestly. Ranking towards the top would have to be (SegaSonic) Hyper Sonic and Hyper Knuckles. The raw, ridiculous power is great. A full-screen flash/explosion attack? Gliding into walls hard enough to make them shake? Oh so good!

I'm also fond of Super Silver. He doesn't change much in looks, but his giant, "runic" psychokenetic ring-field was awesome.

The Loose Cannon wrote:2. Is Art Mawhinney still working for the comic?

Last I'd heard, Art's been working on a number of children's books. As far as I know he's free to return to the book when he can.

The Loose Cannon wrote:3. When will we see the Special Zone again?

It's only a matter of time.

The Loose Cannon wrote:4. Which robot from the Archieverse would be cool to see as a boss in a Sonic game?

Heh . . . Croctobot or the Universalamander would be great for pure hilarity's sake.

The COM Bots might be cool to see, phasing in and out of sight, strafing while firing. I think the Egg Lobster might actually work in a SegaSonic capacity.

Orion101 wrote:

This was actually a topic on Ken's board a while back, I remember asking him personally about this and pointed out that when animals like horses and cats evolved, new non sentient species like Pasha's and Bush Femurs, evolved to take their place or niche in nature. I then asked Ken if new non sentient species evolved to take the place of cows pigs and other food animals. Ken said that this almost certainly happened and that it just wasn't an issue that was ever needed to be brought up in the comics. So their's your answer Mobians eat meat just meat from new non sentient species. Unless of course Ian has something else in mind.

I agree there's critters out there that would amount to the "small animals" out of the games; stuff like pashas, bush-lemurs and Muttski. I can't quite swallow (HAR HAR) the idea mobians could slaughter (technical term) other creatures for food. I don't think it fits within their mindset. I can't see them subsisting on a meat-free diet either.

It's not a topic I plan on tackling in the book.

Tonberry2k wrote:Any plans for Archimedes?

Oh yes.

sonicxfactor wrote:Do you know if Steven Butler will be doing anything for the comic soon?

Not soon, no. He's currently involved with the Betty/Veronica project - the one with the more realistic designs.

Kureejii Lea wrote:

1) I took his survival of the Ultimate Annihilator the same way Kureejii Lea did: it wasn't targeting his bio-signature, so it simply washed over him. I like your interpretation of it though, Para, so I wouldn't dismiss it.

2) See STH#175. Eggman has a line addressing what you're asking.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri May 18, 2007 9:16 am

IanPotto wrote:
Orion101 wrote:

I agree there's critters out there that would amount to the "small animals" out of the games; stuff like pashas, bush-lemurs and Muttski. I can't quite swallow (HAR HAR) the idea mobians could slaughter (technical term) other creatures for food. I don't think it fits within their mindset. I can't see them subsisting on a meat-free diet either.

It's not a topic I plan on tackling in the book.

Tonberry2k wrote:Any plans for Archimedes?

Oh yes.

By these questions combined, I am reminded of the time Enerjak banished Knuckles and Archimedes to the desert...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Tonberry2k » Fri May 18, 2007 11:04 am

I just thought of this after reading recent issues, are the SWAT-bots being phased out and replaced with the egg-bots, or will they both still be around? Is one more specialized in something than another, giving an excuse to keep them both?
Tonberry2k
BumbleNoble

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius