Mega Man #53 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man #53 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:24 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:I think calling #55 an "advertisement" is unfair, at least any more than calling the entire book an advertisement, as it's not really advertising anything in particular.

So maybe Ian/Archie wanted to go out with a bang and pay tribute to (most of) the franchise as a whole.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

I can't see "Rock of Ages 2" being much of a "bang." This time around its "hey look what could have been" instead of issue 20's "Hey, look what we're going to do!"
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Mordum » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:12 am

Blue Shift and Red Shift have been pretty fitting enough endings, so I assume #55 will be satisfying as well.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby akessel92 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:56 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:I think calling #55 an "advertisement" is unfair, at least any more than calling the entire book an advertisement, as it's not really advertising anything in particular.

So maybe Ian/Archie wanted to go out with a bang and pay tribute to (most of) the franchise as a whole.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

I can't see "Rock of Ages 2" being much of a "bang." This time around its "hey look what could have been" instead of issue 20's "Hey, look what we're going to do!"

I agree with mavs here. Even casual readers who haven't gotten word of the hiatus and they read issue 55 excited for what's next but then it's nope we're on hiatus. Which the megaman series has been all too familiar with. And what of their subscriptions? Will they revert to the sonic issues? as much as some who like the series but it will be hard to stay on board for a series that is bogged down in mandates and could be up for another reboot or worse cancellation because of discretions with a previous writer or who knows what.

This hiatus is just gonna do more harm for fans of this book than good.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby Mordum » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:26 am

But that all operates under the notion that we're getting an unsatisfying ending. We have no reason to assume that.

Since the first issue, Megaman as a series has always been about finding yourself and deciphering your identity. Blue Shift and Red Shift aren't just open ended leads in to further stories (though some of the copy certainly doesn't shy away from that, buy Megaman 4 kids!)...but honestly, there isn't really anywhere you NEED to go. I'm a firm believer that a story ends when a theme reaches its zenith, not when every single loose end ties up. Things happen isn't a story. Things aligned to an emotional idea is a story.

Rock began the series seeking purpose and has now found himself. Blues has done the same. Presumably Roll will as well. What other story is there to ACTUALLY tell that's absolutely necessary to the resolution of these characters? And don't answer "Megaman 4", because I don't think that's a fair answer: that's refusing to see the story on its own terms. That's refusing to accept the comic as its own entity, instead preferring to allocate its execution entirely in the context of how much it embellishes a Megaman narrative that's already inside your head. And that's not only just not remotely fair, it's also pretty disingenuous to the comic's attempt to be its own interpretation of the material.

Rock of Ages and The Dawn of X already have presented the idea that, structurally speaking, the destination ISN'T the goal. We already know the destination. We know exactly how significant Rock will become. There's less a story in seeing how that goes, beat by beat, than there is in the actual thing we don't see: Rock's shift as a person. Becoming the person who creates that future is more important, per the structure of the comic and the arcs we've had, than that person actually pushing that future because...we know how that story ends. We didn't know the particulars of Rock coming full circle from the crises he felt during his first battle. That's the actual story to resolve...which, Blue Shift does. This arc is about that ending. The REAL ending. When the story ends, not when the timeline ends.

Issue 55 isn't so much a sequel to Rock of Ages as much as it feels more like it's going to be the resolution of the fourth central cast member of the series: the future. Rock, Roll, and Blues have, after a series of preparing to be a foundation, have now become a foundation. Telling that future's story makes perfect sense as a finale. I said it a lot in the thread where Mr. X was first implied to be Xander and said it here again and I will now say it again, but the fundamental problem of assessing this series's creative decisions comes from the fact that it's never been seen as a stand alone piece. The fandom wants it to be an embellishment and continuation of the Megaman brand, telling the great story they always knew was there (But Mordum? How can you NOT LOVE SIGMA AND HIS DEPTH?). It's the confirmation; it's not a comic book as much as it's an apotheosis of a greater story everyone's already told themselves a million times. It exists, to them, so Megaman can exist. The actual STORY? The arc it's telling? From what I've gathered from a lot of posts from people who like the comic, the actual thematic arc of the story is pretty immaterial.

Not to say that the reason the story is the way it is isn't because of shallow marketing: it absolutely is. While I still feel like the X arc works far better as a single story than as a backdoor pilot it's supposed to be, it's obviously there to BE a pilot. Flynn's first question was whether or not they also had Megaman X. Flynn's dubious taste in source material aside (not that many disagree with him, and at this point I'm willing to agree to disagree), there's plenty of reasoning to just toss out X's significance as a failed pilot that we don't need to think about when assessing what the story was doing...if you're a fan of the comic as a thing that reenforces that you like your favorite thing for a reason.

But ignoring that, ignoring the circumstances behind any given thing? The ending we're getting makes sense as an ending. Rock begins the series seeking purpose and identity, as the characters do, and ends finding his purpose and heading to fight the man whose name is taken from the very robot that defines the future. Xander found his identity and represents the stunted future. Megaman found his identity and represents the future of progress. After the future being seeded and explored through previous stories, Rock and Xander now represent the people that will bring about that future. The STORY was finding that identity. The ending is having that identity. What happens under that identity is not necessarily part of the story (after all, once you find yourself, you still have to live that life, so the logical ending would ALWAYS be open ended). Megaman's ending as a character is affirming his identity and fighting a character who literally represents the future. Going off to battle Mr. X doesn't HAVE to be interpreted as the going for the next arc as much as it's the definitive statement about who Rock has chosen to be. The future has come, quite literally in the temporally displaced Mr. X, and he's charging head on knowing the person he'll be.

Open ended doesn't mean things are unresolved. Blue Shift resolves EVERYTHING the series would ever need to resolve: the core theme. And with Blues following suit, as are Roll and the future, it's a satisfying, logical ending for the self contained story the comic is. A story about someone finding his identity as the future he'll influence is always poking its head around him.

Or I think so, anyway.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:26 am

Yeah, I'm with Mordum. I don't feel like there was much more to tell at this point beyond what #53 and #54 gave us without getting into the particulars of MM4, which we know Ian was eager to do -- and going by these two, it's easy to see why. But with one issue left to go, I think this is alright.

Besides, in what way is this "hey look what could have been"? That kind of assumes that we'd be getting four other Mega Man books at best, or a lot of "Dawn of X"-type interstitials in the main book at worst.

The last issue before hiatus comes out a month before Mega Man's 28th anniversary, so why not celebrate what Mega Man has been? It may not be such a "bang" with the bittersweetness that is going to go along with it, but at least we get to see the other Mega Men in print, even if only briefly, and I still don't think calling it an "advertisement" is fair. Oh yes, I'm sure the next ZX game is going to get a huge boost off of this! :roll:

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby DoNotDelete » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:39 am

I'm quite at peace with the current run ending like this. I have always felt Archie Mega Man got off on the wrong foot anyway. Now is an opportunity to take stock of the successes and failures of this run and how to come back to it afresh after the 'hiatus'.

If anything I like to think that opening up the other franchises like this hints at them being explored at some time in the future - possibly even hinting at a change in direction for the Mega Man comic if it does return.

As I have stated in the past I never really saw the point at drudging through the Mega Man games in such a linear fashion; There's no reason we can't drop into any Mega Man universe at any time to be served up an original story or two. These stories could even be set between key games in order to keep the canonists happy - but I'd personally be up for remixing existing stories/canons into something different - much like Hitoshi Ariga has done with his MM works - Capcom's approval permitting of course.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:58 pm

I think Capcom's approval or licensing might be the issue with such a prospect. Don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby The KKM » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:32 pm

I'd argue even thematically, the comic needed Mega Man 4 first, if only for Cossack's arc. You had Light, who was pure good or close to it, Wily, who was pure evil or close to it, and now ideally Cossack being good dragged to evil because of his human side (Kalinka). Dunno, I feel THAT'D have been the perfect thematic cutoff point, not this.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Mordum » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:14 pm

A lot of Dr. Light's drive in the story was debating the ethics of sentient robotics. He's an important, interesting, and appealing character, but thematically speaking he's in support of what's currently being resolved. I don't feel like MM4 is necessary exactly.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby The KKM » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:10 pm

Sure, for Dr. Light, but I feel Cossack was given enough focus that the end of HIS arc was warranted too. Then again I just really like him
The KKM
BumbleClan

Previous

Return to For Everlasting Peace!