All about dat Bass

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: All about dat Bass

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sat May 23, 2015 4:22 am

Yeah, I'm not buying this 'inferiority complex'. Bass proved time and time again that he's stronger than most of Robot Masters, KIng and Willy. I'm pretty sure he knows he's tough, just annoyed that he can't beat Megaman.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicSoul » Sat May 23, 2015 5:11 am

Though with King, it took Proto Man's 'Big Bang Strike' for him to actually be able to damage King.

Spoiler: show
And in the Rockman and Forte manga, he did lose and got his arm chopped off. Mega Man had to come save the day.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:13 am

I think Bass could have developed an inferiority complex by MM10. Yeah, he proved himself stronger than many Robot Masters, but he wasn't built to battle them. He was built to take down Megaman. He seems to overcompensate for his inability to do this by constantly destroying fellow Wilybots.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby Mordum » Sat May 23, 2015 1:08 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:Yeah, I'm not buying this 'inferiority complex'. Bass proved time and time again that he's stronger than most of Robot Masters, KIng and Willy. I'm pretty sure he knows he's tough, just annoyed that he can't beat Megaman.

Psychological conditions tend not to be based around logic, and if robots have JUST enough personality to have a psychological condition...
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicSoul » Sat May 23, 2015 1:56 pm

Gauntlet101010 wrote:I think Bass could have developed an inferiority complex by MM10. Yeah, he proved himself stronger than many Robot Masters, but he wasn't built to battle them. He was built to take down Megaman. He seems to overcompensate for his inability to do this by constantly destroying fellow Wilybots.

That's a good point. Superiority complex towards every Robot Master, inferiority complex towards Mega Man but hides it by being determined I guess.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Pi.exe » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:36 am

Would be interesting if the period where he was acting as an ally/spy was extended. Give the betrayal some sting, lay the groundwork for later reluctant team-ups, ideally give him a bit of inner conflict, and aspects of his personality which are ambiguously part of his cover identity or a deeper true self.
Pi.exe
BumbleNewbie

Postby jawsisra » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:11 pm

I hope they make a referance to how you say his name. Bass like the fish or Bass (Base) like the gitar It will be a nice joke given how in Megaman 8 Megaman calls him Bass (Like the fish) but ever other time he is called Base (Base)
jawsisra
BumbleFan

Postby SonicWindAttack » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:16 pm

Personally, I think Bass should take a cue from his Battle Network counterpart (at least in the third game). In Battle Network 3, Bass was built up as a credible threat who struck fear into anyone and everyone who's ever heard of him. When he first encounters MegaMan.exe, he beats him effortlessly, and only loses the rematch later because of Lan and Hub going Full Synchro. I think that's what Archie Bass' first proper appearance should be like; he is clearly stronger than Mega Man, and is fully aware of it. Unlike in the games, where Mega Man's always dealt with him without much trouble, having him actually have to WORK to defeat his perfect rival would give more depth to both of them.
SonicWindAttack
BumbleFan

Postby SonicSoul » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:06 am

Eh, I honestly consider BN Bass and Classic Bass as two separate characters despite that they're counterparts to each other. One has a angsty-tragic backstory to fuel his desire to get stronger, the other is basically Vegeta with no sort of emotional baggage. I like BN Bass and all, but to me he kind of represents what I was glad they didn't pull with Classic Bass when he debuted back in the early 90's right before the 'dark rival with a troubled past' archetype became trendy to do.

But if it's something like how the first fight with Break Man went back in #23, that could be okay. Since that issue managed to make Mega Man nor the Light Numbers look too weak just to make Break Man look stronger and simply because he was built with a militaristic edge over them. With Bass, he's built solely for combat, so that alone could give him an edge when we eventually get to their first fight. Though I'm still not entirely sold on whether or not Bass should actually win their first fight. It's kind of in his nature to never win simply because he doesn't fight for anything greater than himself. So to have him win on his first try would kind of delude that aspect to his character and would feel more like he just got lucky that one time and can't seem to beat him since then.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Previous

Return to For Everlasting Peace!