All about dat Bass

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

All about dat Bass

Postby Partywagon » Sat May 16, 2015 12:37 pm

So I'm starting this thread in spite of my fear that there might be a similar one buried somewhere around here...

Anyway, Bass is my absolute favorite Mega Man character period. Though the Mega Man comic is without a doubt my favorite title out right now, I always get a little depressed when I think about how long it'll take Bass to become a proper part of the story. So, I was wondering, what're everyone's hopes for Bass when he finally shows up? What do you wanna see? Among many other things, I personally really want to see him in some civvies.
Partywagon
BumbleNewbie

Re: All about dat Bass

Postby SonicSoul » Sat May 16, 2015 1:09 pm

Oh, a Bass topic, this'll be good! *Rubs hands together*

Speaking as a fellow Bass/Forte fan myself, I don't really care either way when or if he'll show up soon. If he's one of those characters that just has to show up by his game debut, then so be it. But if not, cool beans. Then again it would be hard to have him show up early without the whole 'pretending to be good' just to get closer to Mega Man, which made him notable story-wise in MM7, so I'd wouldn't recommend an earlier debut anyway.

Besides, it's not like there are any other rival-esque characters that can fill his role until then. Currently there's Break Man, though his change from bitter brother to aloof ally is possibly coming up soon depending on how he falls out of Wily's favor. And then there's Ballade of the Mega Man Killers who shares similar traits to Bass personality-wise and having him gain good development so his eventual sacrifice can be meaningful enough. So I think jumping straight to Bass when we have one current 'rival' and one yet-to-be 'rival' would make him (or them) feel redundant for having the same role.

As for personal wishes regarding portrayal? Well, basically have him be his smug, arrogant self like we'd expect him to be, only not to the point of being a psycho about it. Don't get me wrong, Bass in the Ariga mangas was cool, but mostly in those mangas. But there, he could be a straight-up monster who destroyed/blew up an amusement park and a town individually just to pick a fight with Mega Man. He had no regard for other people's safety and was willing to point his Buster at innocent civilians when he realized they were the reason why Mega Man wasn't fighting back during their first battle. That...wouldn't translate nearly as well to a Western comic like Archie, I think. Especially since unlike the comic, the mangas never established the Three Laws of Robotics, so Bass could get away with deliberately harming people like that. Personally, while I'm not saying he needs to be soft or anything, heck no, but it would be nice to have him show some decency, or moments where he can drop the bad attitude. For example, him showing concern for King in MM&B when the fortress was about to explode was a brief but rare display of such, though that was most likely due to him knowing King was as much of pawn for Wily as he was. But if there is going to be moments where he can be less of a jerk, let them preferably be far and between and mostly exclusive to Treble, to whom he considers his closest (and possibly only) friend. In fact, showing his relationship with Treble is another interesting thing to take advantage of, especially if WC Part 11 was to go by with his reaction to Treble getting hurt...

But that's just me. I like Finhead and all, but I can wait for him when the time comes and feel the comic has done a good enough job building it's own world and filling it with interesting characters before considering it's time he comes around.
Last edited by SonicSoul on Sat May 16, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby lalalei2001 » Sat May 16, 2015 1:11 pm

Bass didn't seem to HAVE an origin in the games (he just shows up in MM7). It'd be interesting for the comic to explore that, especially since he had to have been built before Wily went to jail at the end of MM6.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sat May 16, 2015 2:17 pm

Ok, I must ask: what's so great about Bass? To me he always felt like another cliche rival character, just with decency to not be called "Dark Megaman". Do I miss something about him?
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Damo » Sat May 16, 2015 2:21 pm

Bass/Forte isn't a character I like... but I know he's very popular, so I hope Ian feeds some breadcrumbs hinting that Bass is in the future. Blueprints, the discovery of Bassnium/Fortenium, idle comments that he needs something even better when he's working on higher-end robots like the Mega Man Killers, etc.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicSoul » Sat May 16, 2015 2:32 pm

I too would like to see or hear more on bassnium as an energy source and whether or not it'd be less or more powerful than the Energy Crystals from MM3. Since I recall Mega Man saying those were the most powerful McGuffins in his world in WC. Assuming he's even aware of bassnium at all to compare, that is.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Uwaaii » Sat May 16, 2015 7:38 pm

SonicSoul wrote:Oh, a Bass topic, this'll be good! *Rubs hands together*

As for personal wishes regarding portrayal? Well, basically have him be his smug, arrogant self like we'd expect him to be, only not to the point of being a psycho about it. Don't get me wrong, Bass in the Ariga mangas was cool, but mostly in those mangas. But there, he could be a straight-up monster who destroyed/blew up an amusement park and a town individually just to pick a fight with Mega Man. He had no regard for other people's safety and was willing to point his Buster at innocent civilians when he realized they were the reason why Mega Man wasn't fighting back during their first battle. That...wouldn't translate nearly as well to a Western comic like Archie, I think. Especially since unlike the comic, the mangas never established the Three Laws of Robotics, so Bass could get away with deliberately harming people like that.

I thought the three laws of robotics are either not programmed or removed in Wily’s robots; I mean he uses them for world domination, wrecking havoc everywhere…
I do hate how Bass lacks development in the megamix series tho. And yeah I think the law was only briefly mentioned as something that caused Protoman's power core to become unstable.

Wily studied Megaman and tried to make a robot just like him so I guess he is like a dark/evil version of megaman. He also boasted that the Bassnium was the strongest energy in the world (for NOW, because he's already in the process of making Zero), so maybe its stronger than the energy crystals from MM3. He isn't really given in depth characterization in the games except showing pity for defeated/weaker enemies and concern for Treble; other than that he's just continuously picking fights and yelling "I'm the strongest!" I guess he's also sort of stubborn/don't listen to people much and straightforward when saying stuff.

By the way, according to the complete guides Bass was originally created by the staff to replace Protoman's role. After Protoman transitioned from a Rival to a neutral-neither-ally-nor-foe type of character that made even the staffs troubled, they needed a character that would permanently stay as Megaman’s rival.
Uwaaii
BumbleFan

Postby lalalei2001 » Sat May 16, 2015 7:41 pm

Quick Man was designed as Mega Man's original rival. He had the hardest stage and fight, his portrait extended beyond the frame, and other stuff.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Sat May 16, 2015 8:01 pm

Bass is a pretty shallow, but he's a fun iteration of the "dark rival" type. I liked him since Mega Man and Bass, where he played a bit more like the X games in comparison to Mega Man's classic moves. I do find his and Rock's back-and-forth pretty amusing, it shows off their characters as well as the limitations of their programming. Bass will never be Rock's friend, and Rock will never stop making the offer. I wouldn't call him entirely vital to the franchise though, I think the series gets along just fine whether he's there or not. He never hurts, and people love him, but I would still put characters like Roll above him.

There is a small issue I guess I could say Bass brings: before he was made, Mega Man had a load of robots made to be his 'rival.' Afterwards, it's pretty much always going to be him in that role. It allows him to be a more consistent and fleshed out antagonist, but it also means a bit less variety.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Partywagon » Sat May 16, 2015 10:51 pm

Penguin God wrote:There is a small issue I guess I could say Bass brings: before he was made, Mega Man had a load of robots made to be his 'rival.' Afterwards, it's pretty much always going to be him in that role. It allows him to be a more consistent and fleshed out antagonist, but it also means a bit less variety.

I feel like the things you can explore with Bass pretty much makes up for the lessened variety. There's just more that you can do with him as compared to, say, Quick Man. A consistent rival means that Mega Man is consistently challenged by that person-he's not always gonna be sure that he can win(even if he does it often). If the rival's constantly changing that means that the hero is too strong and then you've got a DBZ situation in which everyone's OP and that's for the birds. And, yeah, Fins McGhee is shallow, but Mega Man was too before Flynn got ahold of him.

MetalSkulkBane wrote:Ok, I must ask: what's so great about Bass? To me he always felt like another cliche rival character, just with decency to not be called "Dark Megaman". Do I miss something about him?

Well, what I love about Bass is that, even though he gets beat a lot, he's all flash and bombast. He's someone that everyone's scared to mess with, he can get super crazy and he's got absolutely no time for your garbage at all.What really made me, like, love love him was thinking about what he does in his downtime and his relationship with Treble. Also, I grew up with Battle Network and he's legit the coolest in that series. Or maybe I'm a sucker for Vegeta types.
Partywagon
BumbleNewbie

Postby Penguin God » Sat May 16, 2015 11:34 pm

I'm not sure if I entirely buy that. There's more you can do with him than Quick Man, but not necessarily more you can do with him than Quick Man/Ballade/Enker/Punk/Quint/Shadow Man/Ring Man/etc. The rivals changing don't really make Mega Man too powerful any more than Mega Man consistently beating Bass because he fights for justice does. If anything, Bass actually established Mega Man as more powerful by establishing that the only thing strong enough to take down the hero is his own powers. It's an easily mishandled cliche: I don't hate it, but it comes with its own issues. But then I'm somewhat rambling and acknowledge these stray thoughts may not mean much in the end.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Sat May 16, 2015 11:39 pm

Bass has some potential. In Power Fighters Duo says he senses "justice energy" from Bass. But I gotta agree that in the games Bass is a pretty shallow and kind of a typical anime style rival. Very much in the vein of Vegeta, except Bass never kills anyone so he never really goes too far either way.

But a strength of a monthly ongoing over a game is that thins can change and be given depth. Maybe Bass will evolve beyond his fairly typical role. After 8 he stops really being an active antagonist and starts working with MM against Wily.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby SonicSoul » Sun May 17, 2015 7:03 am

I'll admit, when first getting into the Mega Man franchise, I didn't think of Bass that much as a character. Like some have said already, he's just a typical Vegeta-expy who only cares about defeating the protagonist and showing off his great power to prove he's the strongest. Heck, I don't even consider myself a fan of the 'dark-rival/anti-hero' archetype to begin with. But I think it wasn't until after #20 and seeing his banter with Mega Man that he started to 'click' with me as a potentially interesting character. Here he's having actual interactions with his sworn enemy and being put into situations that either don't involve what he's best at or interacting with characters you don't think he would normally ever talk to. Basically take him out of his element, if you will. Then there was the Battle and Chase adaption in the Ariga mangas where after he pretty much screwed himself out of the race, he's forced to be with Auto for the remainder of the story. Again, being put into a position that he isn't fully good at and most of the time it does happen, it's due to his ego or lack of foresight. A big personal flaw that makes for good hilarity on occasion? I like that.

Then there's of course the brief moments in MM&B where he showed some character. Like the aforementioned showing concern for King when the fortress was going to explode along with saying to King that humans are to be respected for creating them. The latter struck me as quite telling since Bass obviously doesn't have that good or close of a relationship with Wily anyway, and in Power Battle, he thinks Wily making a robot as strong as him must've been an accident (he's right of course, but that's not the point). So part of me wonders if the thought of Wily setting him and King up to fight almost made him reconsider his words or at least further sour his view on the doctor. Coupled with his refusal to destroy Proto Man when he shows up and actually listening to the guy before he brought up "You'll never beat Mega Man and here's why," it feels like there were seeds of personal growth for Bass and left you wondering what would be next for his character to go development-wise. But it seems nothing really changed after that game so, maybe I'm looking too much into it.
Last edited by SonicSoul on Sun May 17, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Gonzo » Sun May 17, 2015 8:14 am

But it seems nothing really changed after that game so, maybe I'm looking too much into it.

I wouldn't think so; Capcom, like SEGA, tends to forget its own lore (as in genuinely forget, not bend for the sake of thematics).

Personally, I always took it as Bass being smart enough to know how causality works; no humans = no robots.
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:43 am

Well, it was ages since MM&B and the Power Fighters and MM10. I can't blame them for neglecting Bass' plot points, minor as they are.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!