Supernatural Elements in Mega Man

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Supernatural Elements in Mega Man

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed May 06, 2015 10:41 am

So, I've been watching a Let's Play of "The Misadventures of Tron Bonne," as I had never beaten the game, but I found out that there is a bona fide ghost in the series, not some leftover data cyber elf, but an honest-to-goodness ghost.

Are there any other supernatural elements in Mega Man I don't know about? What could be interesting for Ian to play around with?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Re: Supernatural Elements in Mega Man

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed May 06, 2015 11:32 am

I think that Megaman Legends stuff are a little too much into the future for Flynn to use.

But remember that Swordman's sword is ancient and stolen from museum. So either magic or another part of Ra Moon I guess.
But that's all I can think of. Classic Megaman was never about magic and stuff. Just aliens, time travel but mostly robots.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby DoNotDelete » Wed May 06, 2015 11:34 am

Spoiler: show
X (the real one) is kinda dead but also a ghost in the 'Mega Man Zero' series, right?

I think 'ghosts' are actually more likely in the world of robots/machines/computers - bits of leftover code and a.i. haunting/animating bits of technology and robot husks - and floating around in the digital ether of the internet.

I mean, there's also the issue with robots kinda being immortal/copyable/having multiple bodies at once and stuff like that. Were they ever alive to begin with? If not can they ever really be dead? Y'know stuff like that.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby akessel92 » Wed May 06, 2015 12:38 pm

DoNotDelete wrote:
X (the real one) is kinda dead but also a ghost in the 'Mega Man Zero' series, right?

I think 'ghosts' are actually more likely in the world of robots/machines/computers - bits of leftover code and a.i. haunting/animating bits of technology and robot husks - and floating around in the digital ether of the internet.

I mean, there's also the issue with robots kinda being immortal/copyable/having multiple bodies at once and stuff like that. Were they ever alive to begin with? If not can they ever really be dead? Y'know stuff like that.

Yeah and before the zero series, during the x series sigma had that air of dying and coming back from the grave.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Wed May 06, 2015 1:08 pm

The only bits of magic that I can think of are in the Ruby Spears cartoon, which doesn't really count. But it had a genie, golems ("stone bots"), and curses (of Lion Men). I found it really jarring when I happened on those episodes.
Last edited by Gauntlet101010 on Thu May 07, 2015 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby Uwaaii » Wed May 06, 2015 4:55 pm

DoNotDelete wrote:

Well Original-X is a cyber elf, not a ghost. He just gave up his physical form and became an AI with pure energy as his body. And Zero was actually stuck in a copy of his body with the real one being used as his enemy or something.

I think it’s called a “ghost” because there is no logic or explanation for its existence, and it does things a live creature can't do; in a sci-fi robot world robots/AIs can pretty much do those things and it wouldn't be considered scary or weird, like “a fragment of different data/AI left in the system messed up the machine” or " a copy of a robot's AI simply moved to another body".
Uwaaii
BumbleFan

Postby Astrobot7000 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:52 am

Dr. Light's hologram could pretty much be a ghost. How a hologram can repair a robot, or move outside of its projection device is beyond me.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Acrosurge » Thu May 07, 2015 9:33 pm

To me, it seems that the concept of a "soul", demonstrably more than bits of code, bound to a robot body, but capable of manifesting after that body has been destroyed represents a number of supernatural elements. Sigma and X both display these traits. Also, the observation of true, infinite potential power/growth cannot be found within nature and is, therefore, supernatural by definition. X has been stated to have this infinite potential on numerous occasions.

Finally, Mother Elf and the Cyber Elves are, for all practical purposes, supernatural. They heal, grant increased speed, increased durability, manipulate time, erase or transform enemies, change weather patterns, and convert matter to energy and energy into matter. You could semantically argue that Elves merely manipulate "data", but observation shows that what they actually do is rewrite reality (changing computer data or reploid programming cannot grant manipulation of time, matter, or energy). When you think about it, this "reality rewriting" was the only way to finally be rid of the Sigma Virus and end the Maverick Wars. No simple antivirus could do the job, since Sigma showed he could work around them all.
Acrosurge
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 pm

Astrobot7000 wrote:Dr. Light's hologram could pretty much be a ghost. How a hologram can repair a robot, or move outside of its projection device is beyond me.

One would have to define what "outside" actually is. Just because we hadn't seen Light move beyond the capsule doesn't mean he can't, and X5 seems to lean on that pretty heavily.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Fri May 08, 2015 11:31 am

Equating super science with magic seems to deliberately miss the point.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby Mordum » Fri May 08, 2015 12:25 pm

Gauntlet101010 wrote:The only bits of magic that I can think of are in the Ruby Spears cartoon, which doesn't really count. But it had a genie, golems ("stone bots"), and curses (of Lion Men). I found it really jarring when I happened on those episodes.

I like to think that anything that appears in a particular brand should "count." Of course, I also might just like the idea of a golem showing up in a Megaman thing. I like that comparison.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby El Veinte » Sat May 09, 2015 5:02 am

Outside classic timeline, Battle Network has all sorts of ghost navis, but Lan also meets an actual human ghost in BN4 and in Star Force Geo and Omega Xis do battle with a dead-for-hundreds-of-years human ghost who combines with an alien to become Crown Thunder.

You could look at it that as reploids are artificial humans, cyber elves and reploid souls like the kind Berkana manipulates in Xtreme 2 are artificial ghosts and faeries and poltergeists and the viruses are evil spirits or demons that cause differing degrees of possession in artificial people. Same old tropes with a vague science fiction slant. But as the artificial versions of these things are shown to exist, you can hypothesize that some of the non artificial counterparts could be naturally occurring as well. If humans who become cyber elves are essentially ghosts, then ZX is full of ghosts. I think a lot of people prefer to see Light and Wily as ghosts in the X series, and the ZX biometals as ghosts imbued within a physical object. Series technology fills the gaps between myth and science, and who can tell the difference.
El Veinte
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat May 09, 2015 12:46 pm

if we're counting battle network, there's the whole concept of the dark chips and evil being tangible things, plus the fact that Django has showed up into the internet from his universe
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby lalalei2001 » Sat May 09, 2015 12:47 pm

There's also Duo being able to sense justice and evil in other robots.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby akessel92 » Sat May 09, 2015 6:52 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:There's also Duo being able to sense justice and evil in other robots.

Not to mention organic life forms and elemental constructs (see worlds collide)
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!